Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 27-10-2006, 01:25 PM   #1
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Fading plastic trimming!

Well i sparyed all my plastic trimming about 2 months ago, and it has just about vanished back to original grey patchy plastic. Initially what i did was clean the surface, used an all purpose black spray can and then clear coated about 2-3 times. I would of thought the clear coat would protect the paint, but it didnt.

Now it all has vanished backwards, due to exposure of rain and heat and now it looks terrible. I plan to do it again but this time i want to doint it without it fading and coming off. So basically what exactly do i have to do to stop it from happening again? Do i need to use an undercoat? Do i need to spray on more coats of clear coat? And do i need a heat, UV protectant paint?

regards

SVT8

SVT8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

i used high temp paint and clear, that was 2 years ago, and my old EA is still sitting in the sun with the plastics lookin schmick...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 05:16 PM   #3
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look at the difference, omg its hideous. Cant beleive it, this was before

and this is what the front windscreen bit, looks like now........ ugghhhhhh

Old 27-10-2006, 05:25 PM   #4
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

As tonkoxr8 said, the high temp paint will make a huge difference compared to gerneral purpose paints.

Someone may correct me if I am wrong, but the ABS plastics usually need to be primed with a plastic primer for the paint to adhere properly.
Another factor, is that the plastic would heat up and expand at a different rate to that of the paint, causing it to crack and peel away.

And more clear never hurt anything

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 06:18 PM   #5
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlane_ghia
And more clear never hurt anything
Except the wallet!!! lol

Yer heatproof might do the trick. Il have a shot at it on the weekend though. Il prep it up, then undercoat with grey paint, then apply heatproof paint followed by heaps of clear coat's.

There wasn't any signs of cracking though, the paint would just seem to fade over time, along with the clear coat.

thanks
Old 27-10-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
SwarvJarv
Ea Falcon S

heatproof paint is good....but auto touch-up paint does the trick did my first bit 3 years ago, still matches all the bits i recently done.....have a 'good' coating of clear coat....
5 speed Manual
Motivator Headers with 2.1/2" RedBack system
XR x GT Hybrid Body
15" 'Snowflakes'
90' GL Interior
Custom Black Vinyl Roof
Custom Console Lid
9" LCD + PS2
Boss CD/MP3 head unit 50x4w
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmyers
I was considering chucking on a full Kappa tracksuit but reconsidered :P
SwarvJarv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 06:39 PM   #7
efgiar
rofl copter

buy some plastic primer as the plastic reacts to the paint! the pp will stop this. i told u this on the black spur

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 06:58 PM   #8
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgiar
buy some plastic primer as the plastic reacts to the paint! the pp will stop this. i told u this on the black spur
yeh i know :nutsycuck , but its quite possible that other factors could influence the fading. Just though id get some info from everyone else and combine them all.......lol.

Thanks for your help everyone, il have a crack at it on the weekend and hopefully it will last more than 2 months this time round.