Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-07-2005, 10:32 PM   #1
paul7v7
bring it on

Default cheap 1970 GTHO

not a bad price me thinks

I got the ad from The Sun paper, November 27 1973. A while before my time.

Old 01-07-2005, 10:34 PM   #2
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Oh if we only knew.. :

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2005, 11:03 PM   #3
fatxagt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know a bloke who had trouble selling his for $16,000 in 1986...Kickin himself now. Thats life
fatxagt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2005, 11:19 PM   #4
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those were the days...I was once offered a 71 GT HO for just over $3k..knocked it back and bought a Jag.....stupid..stupid..stupid.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 03:39 AM   #5
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back in about 1971 I was a 16yr old who had just started his first job at the local Ford dealer washing cars. Finnie ford in southern Sydney.
Now it just so happened that they built up a GTHO for Bob Skelton to run at Bathurst that year and after the race it was sitting around the dealership waiting for a buyer. It was still as raced, right down to the squashed bugs on the windscreen, stickers, numbers ,even the tyres it finished the race on!!
My boss told me NOT to drive it,the service manager told me NOT to even think about it and the dealer principal told me he would personally "CUT MY BALLS OUT' if he ever caught me in it. :yeees:
But I just couldnt help myself, :Up_to_som I had to have a squirt in that car!!!
After several weeks I convinced my boss that it would save us a lot of time if I could start cleaning the cars earlier in the morning before business opened, and it worked.. they gave me a key that not only fitted the showroom but also the workshop and, more importantly, the washbay where the car was stored.The next Sat morning I got to work at 6 instead of 7.30.
I swear I must have stalled the bloody thing 4-5 times before getting it out
onto the street, it had a clutch that almost needed two feet to push it in, idled like a pig due to the jumbo size cam it had and the noise!., christ it was loud.Wasnt that bad at low revs but when you revved it, it was just like this enormous bellow from the drain pipe exhaust out the side!!
Took it around the block twice,never got it past third gear,went past my mates place just to prove that Id really done it,took it back to the workshop,
put it back in the washbay and pulled down the shutter. :
Thought Id got away with it but old bat that lived across the road rings and complains about the noise earlier in the day. Stunned that boss didnt sack me but he did give me a big kick in the **** and took the keys back.
They later sold it for $4500 to some dude and I never saw it again.
Rebellious..yeah,stupid..definately, If I had my time over would I do it again??
IN A HEARTBEAT!!!!!!
Despite everything Ive ever done in my life, Ill never forget that day :

Last edited by RegSpec; 02-07-2005 at 03:45 AM.
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 05:34 AM   #6
Pik0

so jeleous mate, i would give almost anything to get a ride in at P3 GTHO...

Lucky bastard...
Coming Soon:
Lowering
Pik0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 01:41 PM   #7
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

i was lucky enough to go for a ride in a XY GTHO PH 3 out of the huge car collection of the BOWDEN clan in Queensland it was awsome belting up the highway (keeping to the speed limit of course)in the old girl as we took it out to stretch its legs

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 01:50 PM   #8
XRated
Shoot.

redebxr8, that's a classic story! Well worth it though, obviously!!

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 03:21 PM   #9
Chris
AFF.com.au

I was shattered when dad told me he was going to sell the phase II HO we had, I was 16 and saving for it, but we were having financial trouble at the time.

I worked my **** off, put together some dough, but it wasn't enough, and we had to sell it.The guy who purchased it lived in sydney, and Dad come out and told me it was sold, i felt like crying.

I come home from school on the friday night, and dad had our bags packed. The HOey was still in the shed. He told me to go get the L plates out of the patrol.

I got to drive the car all the way to sydney, and what a drive it was.

Dad was feeling sentimental about it too - so we went the "long" way. Through gippsland, Lakes entrance, orbost, genoa, Eden, merimbula, Bermagui, moruya, etc all the way to Berowra.

The girl at the servo had to physically come out and check the pump after we put 120 litres in it at Hallam. hee hee.

But the clevo had recieved a massage from Dad and myself, the monster 4v had a nice flat tappet and a buddy bar manifold and a 750 double pumper. Growing up around these cars, shifting the big toploader wasn't a problem either.

We flew home feeling flat, but the memory of THAT drive will stay with me forever. That car ran a 12.5 in the late 80's with Bridgestone eagers on it and 3.25 diff gears, it was a tough car alright.

Nothing compares to a big port cleveland. Nothing.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 03:57 PM   #10
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNKPR
i was lucky enough to go for a ride in a XY GTHO PH 3 out of the huge car collection of the BOWDEN clan in Queensland it was awsome belting up the highway (keeping to the speed limit of course)in the old girl as we took it out to stretch its legs
Not a brown one, not a little competition you won was it? :
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 04:36 PM   #11
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

my mates dad had one of the old school pontiac gtho's, those things are bloody huge!!! never got to ride in it though :Up_to_som now his uncle has it cuz my mates dad didn't want the car to leave the family. don't blame him either its one nice beast

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 07:18 PM   #12
paul7v7
bring it on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeno
my mates dad had one of the old school pontiac gtho's, those things are bloody huge!!! never got to ride in it though :Up_to_som now his uncle has it cuz my mates dad didn't want the car to leave the family. don't blame him either its one nice beast
i think you mean GTO not GTHO
Old 06-07-2005, 10:50 AM   #13
GRNKPR

No it wasnt a brown one it was Reef green and i didnt win a competition i out bid all for a tour of their garages at the FPV day in Melb with all the money going to charity

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
Old 06-07-2005, 07:29 PM   #14
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNKPR
No it wasnt a brown one it was Reef green and i didnt win a competition i out bid all for a tour of their garages at the FPV day in Melb with all the money going to charity
Ok I was confused with a private collection up here that that people can win a ride in a muscle car of their choice and my mate one when we did the tour and he picked the modified Phase 3 with 450HP. Brown one LOL!
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2005, 11:16 AM   #15
GRNKPR

no this collection is mostly made up of old Moffat nad brock race cars as well as porches all tip top nick and a credit to the bowdens