Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default cops using camo nets to hide behind! In ...VIC!

Seriously have they ever saved anyone from killing anyone by giving someone a speeding ticket?!!‏

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law...-1226574886387

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 938580-camouflage-cops.jpg (79.5 KB, 334 views)
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Trek
Blue blooded

Default Re: cops using camo nets to hide behind! In ...VIC!

Where was this in Vic?
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Theo@BluePower
Bluepower
Donating Member1

Yer i have seen them setting up at the black spur half way along where the little bit of straight is where everyone overtakes the slow cars, they seem to be targeting more the motorbikes over taking on solid white line or speeding... they have a cops set up around the courner to pull you over and video the event happening to use in court..

All it would take is a hunter in the area to let off a few shots and i think they would move on pretty quick..
03 9305 3000

Theo@BluePower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
Seriously have they ever saved anyone from killing anyone by giving someone a speeding ticket?!!‏

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law...-1226574886387
I really hate comments like this!!

All I'm going to say on this topic. You can bet your sweet **** they have saved 100's hundreds lives over the years by giving people speeding fines!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

heres another article from a while back, same sort of thing :

POLICE are wearing camouflage to nab speeding motorcyclists in the Yarra Ranges. Officers in jungle greens have been hiding behind bushes to trap hoons racing along the winding roads.

The ranges are a favourite with motorbike racers, who post videos on YouTube.

Sgt John Morgan, officer in charge of Operation Surreptitious, said it was difficult to police the region using regular tactics.

"The road is so narrow there's nowhere a marked car can sit with the speed camera," he said.

"And if a police car takes a speed from an oncoming vehicle, the drivers know there's not many places we can turn around and give pursuit.

"So there was an element of riders and drivers who really saw the area as a law-free zone."

Dozens of videos posted on YouTube show motorcyclists, with video cameras mounted on their instrument panels, clocking up to 170km/h in the Yarra Ranges.
Access all Areas. $1 for the first 28 days. Only $2.95 a week thereafter. Learn more.

One rider describes the Black Spur as "the best road in the world", while others videos show motorbikes doing "monos" -- riding with the front wheel raised -- and overtaking cars in front of oncoming traffic.

Operation Surreptitious began in early March and the Yarra Ranges traffic management unit has already nabbed 26 speeding vehicles over nine days, including a motorbike clocked at 190km/h.

Police have impounded eight motorbikes and one car.

One officer hides in the bushes taking traffic speeds with a laser speed gun, while a police car waits further down the road.

"It may look a bit silly, but at the end of the day it means we're catching motorists driving at extremely dangerous speeds," Sgt Morgan said.

A police spokeswoman said Operation Surreptitious was the first of its kind in the state and was specifically designed for the Yarra Ranges area.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post

All I'm going to say on this topic. You can bet your sweet **** they have saved 100's hundreds lives over the years by giving people speeding fines!!
oh yeah?! show me the proof?! Where? Show me 1!??
Old 11-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

I'm with ED on this one. This sort of tactic not only puts officers at risk but it's putting other motorists on the road at risk. What is going to happen is that people are going to have to look harder for the speed traps and while they're looking harder, they're not paying attention.
4 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
oh yeah?! show me the proof?! Where? Show me 1!??
Those accidents EVER happen so I can't show you proof. There is no way of knowing the real value of slowing people down & the countless lives saved. For all you know, one of those lives saved could be your one!! It is my belief & nothing you say will change it.

Speeding kills, so slowing people down saves lives, the maths is simple!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72 View Post
I'm with ED on this one. This sort of tactic not only puts officers at risk but it's putting other motorists on the road at risk. What is going to happen is that people are going to have to look harder for the speed traps and while they're looking harder, they're not paying attention.
How about motorists put more effect into driving within the law & less time speed??
Old 11-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Having your eyes trained on your speedo to ensure that you don't go over the speedlimit with babies, puppies, road signs and the elderly flying over your bonnet saves lives too, right? But it doesn't matter. You didn't go over 60 so it's k.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Those accidents EVER happen so I can't show you proof. There is no way of knowing the real value of slowing people down & the countless lives saved. For all you know, one of those lives saved could be your one!! It is my belief & nothing you say will change it.

Maths is not the only thing that is simple......

Victoria has the most draconian traffic law enforcement in the country with more than two thirds of the total number of speed cameras, most of which are hidden, yet still has a fairly similar road toll to the rest of the country.

This can only lead to one of two possibilities:

1) Victorians are dangerous morons who should not be allowed anywhere near a car as they are hazards on the road.

2) The intense focus on speed is actually about revenue not safety and the Victorian government have run an absolutely brilliant propaganda campaign that has convinced the more naive section of the population that it is for their own good.

Which one of these is most likely to be true?

Last edited by flappist; 11-02-2013 at 10:22 AM.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72 View Post
Having your eyes trained on your speedo to ensure that you don't go over the speedlimit with babies, puppies, road signs and the elderly flying over your bonnet saves lives too, right? But it doesn't matter. You didn't go over 60 so it's k.
I do go over the limit, but these cops don’t pull people over for going 5-6 km over the limit. I've driving past these cops doing 5-6 over the limit heaps of times & they let you go past with no problems. It is people doing stupid speeds (CONSTANTLY) that get court out & these people need to be slowed.. Giving them speeding fines & losing point helps do that..

When I was younger I got heaps of speeding fines, to a point where it slowed me down & I now haven’t gotten a speeding fine for 6-8 years & drive much more safely now becuase of it. Had I don’t gotten those fines, I'd still be speeding to this day!!
3 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #12
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol...
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #13
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Yeah those people do get weeded out easily and if they are doing those speeds, once they see the trap they're gone anyway as they're going to fast to slow down properly. But the problem is that they DO catch people going 5-6 ks over the limit and, especially on the highway, going 10-15 ks over is very easy to do. They aren't targetting the morons breaking the sound barrier with this tactic. They're targetting those who are unintentionally going over the limit as they are more worries about paying attention to what is going on around them rather having their faces touching the cluster.
This user likes this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

How about motorists put more effect into driving within the law & less time speed??
The standard drivers airbag introduced with the EF Falcon has probably done more to reduce the road toll. Vehicle design and road design are the biggest contributors to road safety. With fatigue and inattention being the biggest behaivoural issues. You are 7 times more likely to die in a vehicle built 20 years ago to one built today. Fatalities caused by exceeding a speed limits are one the lowest cause of crashes. UK says about 3%, the South Australian government say 6%- but that 6% also include people who are driving too fast for the conditions which often has nothing to do with the speed limit.

In fact some studies suggest that when drivers exceed the speed limit they are less likely to be involved in a fatal accident than those who don't exceed it. Especially as there is a strong link between inattention and fatigue with the speed the driver is travelling at.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #15
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Maths is not the only thing that is simple......

Victoria has the most draconian traffic law enforcement in the country with more than two thirds of the total number of speed cameras, most of which are hidden, yet still has a fairly similar road toll to the rest of the country.

This can only lead to one of two possibilities:

1) Victorians are dangerous morons who should not be allowed anywhere nears a car as they are hazards on the road.

2) The intense focus on speed is actually about revenue not safety and the Victorian government have run an absolutely brilliant propaganda campaign that has convinced the more naive section of the population that it is for their own good.

Which one of these is most likely to be true?
I'm option number 3
3) Those that believe it has worked & that the road Toll would have been worse without the cameras

I will agree it is a very good revenue raiser, which is a bonus if you ask me. Let those fools speeding pay taxes rather than me! If they get rid of those cameras, then I’d have to pay more taxes somewhere else!!

Last edited by flappist; 11-02-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: oops, should have been a quote
3 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #16
ShootsWithFilm

Here’s the thing – they may or may not saved any lives by issuing speeding fines. I am not even going to contemplate this argument because I don’t have any facts for or against it. (To be honest, I probably agree with a lot who say the speed limits are a little too conservative in many areas – I know in the hills areas around where I live, limits that were 100, have now been dropped down to a blanket 80 and even 60…)

But, the law does state a MAXIMUM speed limit on these roads. And when they say MAXIMUM, they are suggesting that this is the FASTEST you can go. Its not a compulsory speed, it’s a maximum.

So, if you stay below the posted maximum, you won’t get caught! Quite simple really….
ShootsWithFilm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #17
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

And how many more lives would have been saved had they been visible and on the job? This actually belittles the job of a cop if you ask me. All that training to hide and point a radar... Honestly... Is the state that poor?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #18
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm option number 3
3) Those that believe it has worked & that the road Toll would have been worse without the cameras

I will agree it is a very good revenue raiser, which is a bonus if you ask me. Let those fools speeding pay taxes rather than me! If they get rid of those cameras, then I’d have to pay more taxes somewhere else!!
spot on, too many people on here have their cop hating goggles on and can't see common sense

I'm happy with this type of enforcement getting speeding morons on bikes off the road
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #19
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
I'm option number 3

Sorry, there is no option three. You belong in option 2.

Last edited by flappist; 11-02-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: fixing my stuffup
Kable72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm option number 3

But option 3 is the same as option 1. If you need all this extra assistance to be level with everyone else than you must be naturally inferior.

Surely you are not admitting that......
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #21
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would the Police release the information on people being killed in a car crash receiving a camera speeding fine in the last 6-12 months ?? I don't think so, would kill their mantra "speed cameras save lives" I am NOT against speed cameras, if they are USED as intended.
In black spots etc but they are not.. So much on Google that they don't..
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/r...-1226574881043
267 killed on Qld roads 2012...48 from excessive speeding....219 from other causes. The effort put into speed detection is out of proportion to other safety campaigns...revenue raising

Last edited by csv8; 11-02-2013 at 10:45 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #22
penguin2233
Starter Motor

LOL!! So much police hating -

Simple as what ShootsWithFilm said. Don't do the wrong thing and you wont get in trouble?

I agree with the 2-3k's over the limit - thats just revenue, but those getting caught upwards of 20/30/40K+ over the limit... thats the real danger there - but also, in saying this there it will be dependent on the circs at the time.
penguin2233 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus880 View Post
spot on, too many people on here have their cop hating goggles on and can't see common sense

I'm happy with this type of enforcement getting speeding morons on bikes off the road
Unfortunately this is a paradox.

If speeding is the ultimate antisocial crime and traffic enforcement is the solution then it would make no money as the "solution" would prevent the "crime" therefore cutting off the rivers of cash.

As it does make huge amounts of money without decimating the population either speeding is not the antisocial crime it is portrayed by the propaganda or the enforcement is focused on revenue rather than safety or both.
4 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #24
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Unfortunately this is a paradox.

If speeding is the ultimate antisocial crime and traffic enforcement is the solution then it would make no money as the "solution" would prevent the "crime" therefore cutting off the rivers of cash.

As it does make huge amounts of money without decimating the population either speeding is not the antisocial crime it is portrayed by the propaganda or the enforcement is focused on revenue rather than safety or both.
Hit the nail on the head here, mate. Focusing on safety rather than gouging wallets would mean they would lose out on one of their largest sources of income.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #25
peterljohnson55

Quote:

Yes ... the maths is indeed simple.

Furthermore, that reduced speed saves lives is self-evident to thinking people.

For those that 'oddly' ask for proof, I reply, the proof is in the endless accidents where people have been killed and maimed BECAUSE OF speed. That too is self evident, but perhaps some dont want 'to think of that side of the equation.
-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #26
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont speed dont pay.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #27
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

But, the law does state a MAXIMUM speed limit on these roads. And when they say MAXIMUM, they are suggesting that this is the FASTEST you can go. Its not a compulsory speed, it’s a maximum.

So, if you stay below the posted maximum, you won’t get caught! Quite simple really….[/QUOTE]

This is the problem here. It's not as simple as "don't do the crime don't do the time". How many times have you been busted when you were absolutely positive you were doing the posted limit or below. I can tell you now I have been done twice when I was just entering the road and speeding up to the limit. No point in fighting it as it's your word vs theirs. Better off just ****ing and moaning and paying the fine and getting on your merry way.

I can see this happening more and more now as now people aren't even going to know where they're getting stung from so they don't know if they were speeding or not at the time of the fine.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #28
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootsWithFilm
Here’s the thing – they may or may not saved any lives by issuing speeding fines. I am not even going to contemplate this argument because I don’t have any facts for or against it. (To be honest, I probably agree with a lot who say the speed limits are a little too conservative in many areas – I know in the hills areas around where I live, limits that were 100, have now been dropped down to a blanket 80 and even 60…)

So, if you stay below the posted maximum, you won’t get caught! Quite simple really….
I pretty much agree with this.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #29
blk6t

in my opinion this is ridiculous, this will not slow people down!!!

What slows people down is Police presence on the road, marked and seen...how often do you apply the brake and look at your speed when you see a cop car???

For me and most others, the answer will be every time...the more cops I see on the road the more nervous I get about speeding...

Hiding behind a tree in camo, just allows people the temptation of speeding, the worst thing to happen in this scenario is a fatal accident occurs right in front of the hidden cop and all the cop can say in court is we have it on camera...
Old 11-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #30
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
The standard drivers airbag introduced with the EF Falcon has probably done more to reduce the road toll. Vehicle design and road design are the biggest contributors to road safety. With fatigue and inattention being the biggest behaivoural issues. You are 7 times more likely to die in a vehicle built 20 years ago to one built today. Fatalities caused by exceeding a speed limits are one the lowest cause of crashes. UK says about 3%, the South Australian government say 6%- but that 6% also include people who are driving too fast for the conditions which often has nothing to do with the speed limit.

In fact some studies suggest that when drivers exceed the speed limit they are less likely to be involved in a fatal accident than those who don't exceed it. Especially as there is a strong link between inattention and fatigue with the speed the driver is travelling at.
i would agree with car safety these days being a huge contributor to lives being saved, i would also add anti lock brakes as a huge contributor to safety, in fact i would say abs more so than the air bags, having my own *** saved by abs i did`nt need the air bags !
police have been doing the sneeky attack for as long as i can remember, maybe the camo is being a bit more extreme , but using tree`s/bush for cover is not unusual.
the thing with camera`s is the delay time,
driver x gets x amount of days /weeks /months to drive around before the ticket comes,
imo being pulled up straight away given a ticket or a bluey has an immediate effect, in the mean time young billy and his mate who just got camera snapped from behind keep going for a long weekend camping and drinking to an unknown destination up the highway unbeknown he`s been snapped continues with a bit of horse play behind the wheel, and ends up wrapped around a tree before the ticket comes.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post