Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 
Default AU Intake upgrade - what's the deal?

Ok, well I've been reading some of the archived threads about this subject and the scale of different opinions has left me quite confused....

I will definately be putting on a BA XR6T snorkel & obligatory K&N filter, and maybe even the airbox lid from an EF (apparently it flows about 20% better than an AU and it has larger outlet hole) but now I'm talking about from airbox to throttle body, just to make absolutely sure nobody misunderstands me....

What's the best way to upgrade this? Considering that I'm not going for a 12 second car or anything like that......just want my daily driver to have some more grunt and be more responsive so I can have a little more fun with it......but I don't want to lose any torque either.....

Firstly, the upper intake tube: It seems that some have switched to a BA upper tube, where others have left the AU setup. Is one better than the other?? Or is it more about looks?

Secondly, the airbox to upper intake pipe: I have noticed on many workshop threads that people have replaced the stock pipe with a 3" stainless steel or silicone pipe....what benefit does this provide, and is it at the expense of torque?

I saw this post from JC:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
G&D use the factory AU piping on their air boxes. I think that says something for the flow of the standard tube. Bigger isn't always better - just bigger. The bigger tube may reduce airspeed, therefore affecting torque. Yes, you may end up with 1 or 2rwkw more PEAK power using a bigger intake tube, but less actual power overall.
Is this right??? If this is the case, why fit a 3" pipe??

I'm just trying to understand a bit more about the subject before I start modding - I don't want to go and get something I will later regret....

Thanks for your help guys!

Dave

Old 28-01-2009, 02:10 AM   #2
brad`
The Monty

as far as i know the BA upper intake, and the stainless steel ones are more for show, diffrent people have reported that:

were the BA intake sits gets hotter because it sits over the engine its self more in an AU and with the stainless steel its more looks then anything same deal being steel it heats up more.

may be wrong so dont go entirely on my words im sure in the morning JC, Blueprint, russel will correct me if im wrong

cheers
brad`

brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 03:28 AM   #3
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

go get yourself a good pod, i highly recomend 3A Racing pod for price and quality, got mine from autobarn, and get yourself in on the airbox groupbuy in the groupbuy section, however im not sure how effective they are with the triangle headlights.
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #4
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

From what I have seen/done/read about on here, the XR6T snorkle and K&N filter is all you really need to do. Next step is to look at the other side of the engine, and look at sports exhaust (if you dont already have one). Doesn't matter how much it breaths in if it cant breath it back out.
An XR6T snorkle, K&N filter and sports exahust (2 1/2 inch, high flow cat & extractors if you can) will give the best results by far. You dont need to go changing intake pipes to larger ones unless your pumping some serious air through it by way of a turbo or supercharger.
The EF air box lid I havent tried myself but have read alot about it on here & other sites so that would help aswell.
Also de-burring the inside of the standard intake tube with a dremel to make it smoother apparantly helps aswell.
Another thing to do that i have seen done & tried myself is to make a small scoop (out of thin sheet aluminium, plastic, whatever you have really) that attaches at the front of the snorkle and goes down behind the grill to help "scoop" up a bit more air into the snorkle.

Just my thoughts.

Col.
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

Scoop thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...=scoop+snorkle
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I would get in on the airbox group buy, for the money you can't do better.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
MGGT RAA
AUII XR8, BA XR8 290 UTE

That little scoop thing is a geat idea... im making one up at work today. Did ya notice any difference in engine temp? obviously it will restrict air flow to the radiator a tad yeah??
Old 29-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #8
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had one in for a while, no difference in engine temp at all.

One thing I noticed was that, oddly, the fuel consumption was up ever so slightly with the scoop. However, response was improved in all ranges, but showed its colours in 80km/h+ overtaking.

My theory is that if more air is going into the engine, there may be more fuel required to mix with it. Can anyone confirm that?

*EDIT* I should mention that fuel consumption was actually lower at consistant highway speed, but there was a tiny increase in around town driving.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #9
MGGT RAA
AUII XR8, BA XR8 290 UTE

Well i do about 90% country/highway driving so im gonna see how it goes for curiosties sake.

It wasnt a massive increase in consumption around town yeah?
Old 30-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not really no, a tank probably lasted around 20 kays less than normal, give or take.

My design seems to be a bit different to a lot of others I've seen on here, perhaps thats the reason. Others have reported better performance around town, whereas mine was only really useful above normal around town speeds. Maybe even small things like an 'Air Deflector' (as I prefer to call it) will vary noticably with changes in design.

I plan on having my design made up by a fabricator, perhaps even selling a few.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

Old 30-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #11
MGGT RAA
AUII XR8, BA XR8 290 UTE

i put mine on yesterday and drove it to work this morn... It had better pick up at over 70 k's, feels a bit punchier when ya sink ya boot into it too. Nothing massive but there is a difference.

I Havnt seen that many of them so i made mine from an idea of what i thought it'd look like. Used 1mm Ali plate and bassically bent it into a ski jump haha. gonna take it out this arv and play with it a bit more, i reckon i can get a bit more flow through there.
Old 30-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #12
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With mine, I cut a small bit out of the grill section. Next to the mounting tabs, just infront of the intake snorkel, only the width of the intake area on the snorkel and about an inch and a quarter deep. This is with a series 1 Futura grille tho (but the same can be done for all S1 low bonnets, not sure about XRs). I've checked my design template on all AU's except XR, and it will fit all, hence me wanting to make a few of them up and sell them. It will actually fit BA/BF, but this requires more extensive cutting of the radiator vent panel.

Previously:

Old 30-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #13
MGGT RAA
AUII XR8, BA XR8 290 UTE

I wouldnt know if they are any different, if i find anyone with a non XR ill give it a try and let ya know.I wasnt to keen on taking to my car with the hacksaw... sounds pretty well similiar to mine though. Yeah ive ahd a couple orders for them today ay haha
Old 30-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #14
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For mine I used a jewellery saw (only thing I had that would do the trick) and then a dremel to smooth it out.

Previously:

Old 30-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #15
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_suave
With mine, I cut a small bit out of the grill section. Next to the mounting tabs, just infront of the intake snorkel, only the width of the intake area on the snorkel and about an inch and a quarter deep. This is with a series 1 Futura grille tho (but the same can be done for all S1 low bonnets, not sure about XRs). I've checked my design template on all AU's except XR, and it will fit all, hence me wanting to make a few of them up and sell them. It will actually fit BA/BF, but this requires more extensive cutting of the radiator vent panel.
Wouldn't have any pics would you?
I wouldn't mind giving something like this a try.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 03:56 AM   #16
martymonsta79
MARTY (AU2 FUTURA)

Just going from memory there are two books about getting the most out of your 6cyl Falcons prob about 7/8 years old written by the guys at JMM telling you which intakes are best (EF had best flow I think) but JMM do a bolt on mode thats removes the restriction from the start of the intake pipe at the box and joins at the flexi rubber pipe for under $200 big ones an gives you instructions on how to increase your flow into the stock box, but i went with the 3" pacemaker c/c intake pipe and pod filter cause I like the noise.
hope this helps.
martymonsta79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #17
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Good advice all ...

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #18
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry Private,

At the moment, all I have is the cardboard template, and thats currently packed away in boxes as we're moving.

Once I have everything set up again, I'll put up some pics.

*EDIT* I just realised you meant the grille. I'll put some pics of that up once we're settled also.

Previously:

Old 31-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #19
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here's a dodgy one i made
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=81400

i already had the jmm pod one fitted
Old 02-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #20
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

well this is the one ive got not done yet need the bigger intake pipe but should do it.
au11futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #21
AU3XSR
First time Falconless

To all the ppl talking about the scoop, I suspect that this is what you are talking about???

I have the aluminium scoop, XR6T snorkel, Splitfire air filter, 3" intake pipe bell-mouthed into the middle of an EF airbox lid and BA upper intake piping fitted.

Can't remember if this really does anything from the stock setup as its been on the car for nearly a year...but for those worried about fuel consumption increases, I filled up the other day after doing 600km from a tank and the old girl returned 9.3L/100km from a combined cycle (2 weeks of daily use to the train station and back home and a couple of weekend highway stints), which I thought was pretty good

Am getting pacemakers fitted soon, so the setup may be more useful then...
AU3XSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #22
MGGT RAA
AUII XR8, BA XR8 290 UTE

yeah a scoop not a snorkal...

Iv'e had mine on about a week and it definatly aint worse on fuel, havnt noticed a mega difference but it is slightly better fuel and pick-up wise.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #23
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

I've seen some of these scoops on ebay now......they say you need to cut a portion of the grille out though - is this right??? Or can you get away with not cutting anything....
Old 05-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #24
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You do need to cut out a small bit, as AU3XSR has done in the top pic. Its not visable once you close the bonnet, it just allows the flow of air from the grille area, up to the snorkel area.

Previously:

Old 05-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #25
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
Secondly, the airbox to upper intake pipe: I have noticed on many workshop threads that people have replaced the stock pipe with a 3" stainless steel or silicone pipe....what benefit does this provide, and is it at the expense of torque?
After a recent discussion with GK, I thought I'd try removing the stainless steel piping and go back to the standard piping. Not sure if it was the heat on the stainless pipe or the diameter but the ute now has a lot more torque down low. (tis LPG only, if that makes a difference).
I also have the XRT snorkel and a K&N filter.
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #26
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I know ware a box full of these are all ready made up .. from a previous Idea someone had :
PM me if you would like one

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #27
DookaAU2
Starter Motor

^^Cheers to Whoosha for the s**te load of airboxes for the forums, I think the main reasoning behind change the AU stock piping to 3" was because it went from 2.5" at the airbox inlet to 3" piping into the throttle anyway if I'm not mistaken
DookaAU2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #28
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Found 1/2 a dozen laying around, pressed ally looking at @$10 each + P&H Let me know if your interested

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 01:44 AM   #29
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Whoosha, I presume it uses the existing holes for the snorkle?
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #30
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Picked one of these up from Whoosha today, looks great, thanks mate!

Ok, I'll preface the following question by admitting that yes, clearly I am dumb!

I went to fit the thing, and I've clearly forgotten how Whoosh showed me to fit it!

So, does it go like this, connected to the 2 snorkel screws:

Or, like this, under the grill?

private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post