Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-09-2006, 09:46 PM   #1
Mikey B
Frozen White Focus RS

Angry ST170 Cat Heatshield Rattle

Hi All,

Wonder if anyone can advise?

I had the ST in at a Ford Dealer here in Bris to take a look at the CAT underbody heatshield as it was rattling and V. annoying.

I was under the impression that as this is a common issue on the ST's (prone to fatigue and splitting at the mounting locations), this work would be covered under warranty?
However i picked up the car tonight and got charged over $100 for 'tightening' 2 bolts! What makes it worse is that the problem is still there and they've clearly done sweet FA.

I asked why they charged me, only to be told we can't claim tightening bolts under warranty! I said to them '2 things':

1. If it was a simple tighten job, then I would have done that myself.
2. What IF my engine spat a piston thru' the block as a result of a con-rod bolt working it's way loose. Would this be claimed under warranty even tho' the route cause was a loose bolt? They said "of course this would be covered".

The car is going back AGAIN on friday now for them to have 'another look'.

Any advise on what I can do to get my $100 back and get this fixed under warranty as it does require a new sheild???

Cheers,
Mike

Mikey B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 11:00 PM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

My suggestion?

1. Write to the Dealer Principal, in a calm, rational manner (not "your service department is manned by morons, a pack of monkey's could do a better job etc etc") setting out your issues (a. Warranty, b. $100 for tightening two bolts). Ask him to ring you, or request a time to see him.

If that fails

2. Write to the Ford Customer Service Division.

If that fails

3. Write to Tom Gorman. Ask him to reply personally and not get some flunky to write a lame response

If that fails

4. Draw up an ad that says "XYZ Ford charged me $100 simply to tighten two bolts. I will never take another car there..ever". Send the ad to the dealer and tell him you'll be running it the local paper unless he can address your issues.

If that fails

5. Run the ad
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 11:43 PM   #3
Blue_ST170

i agree with melb about geting the money back but on the cat side of things my cat both came loose and cracked. You have to be carful cause they tried to fix mine and pushed it too far up, breaking the co2 sensors off. It a really bad design as the sensors r about a mm from the heatshield. I ended up having to pay $400 for new sensors cause i needed the car to run then it happened again and after a hue fight they fixed it for free.

In the end i had to get a new cat, which i bought from hitech for a few hundred instead of ford who wanted about 5 grand cause its a special one for the st170 they order from england. The hi tech one got me some power anyway.....

Also I only found out the problem caue i took it to another mechanic. Ford r ******* idiots and dont know a thing....

Saving for: cat-back exhaust
Blue_ST170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 11:47 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Im amazed you even payed it in the first place. If i was presented with a bill like that for such an absurd job, I would flat out refuse to pay it.
Old 14-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
n1kol1s
Starter Motor

Ratling and loose bolts are very common in a new car . i agree with melbzetec and you sould call consumer affairs and even ford customer service aswell. i heard that some censors and plastic clips on the focus genarly are very easy to break . The dealer sould take the responsibility and replace them without charge....
I put myself the hella eurostyle tailights and when i took it to the dealer to adjust the a noise comming from the boot they wanted to charge me 45 bucks for the job sayng the noise was comming from unpropper way the light were fitted. I just laughted and i told them that i fitted the lights myself and they had nothing to do with the boot .I went inside and i talked to the manager and i didint pay the $45.
n1kol1s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2006, 01:01 AM   #6
Blue_ST170

lol well dont ******* start me on the plastic clips ford uses for everything...turns out even the gearbox in the st170 is held in with plastic clips....

they snapped and the gears started moving around till i got stuck in second cause the whole box had fallen sideways.....anyway they towed it for free the said its all under warranty but when i went to pick it up they trird to charge me for the towing and fixing it......had to fight for an hour with the manager but didnt end up paying....

n1kol1s can u send me some pics of ur car...and also where abouts u live??

Saving for: cat-back exhaust
Blue_ST170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2006, 10:14 AM   #7
n1kol1s
Starter Motor

I live in melbourne m8..

http://wrl.homelinux.com/index.php?o...mid=26&catid=8
n1kol1s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2006, 01:54 AM   #8
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Had the same problem with mine, they screwed me over and tried to charge for fixing a couple of bolts as well.

Wasn't even the problem, check the actual mounts for the exhaust, more then likely one of them has broken and causing the rattling.

Thats what happened with mine, ended up paying $90 to a local mechanic who i trust to fix it rather then going back to ford with their useless inept service

Chris
Old 17-09-2006, 09:20 AM   #9
Mikey B
Frozen White Focus RS

Many thanx for the replies. I'm in the process of sorting the refund out with the service manager at the dealer.
Chris (Adelaide) - Thanks for the feedback, i'll take a look at the mounts.

I need to get this tizz fixed as it's turning heads where ever I drive and waking the neighbours!

Cheers,
Mike
Mikey B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post