Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
The Monty
Just slidin'

Default Making the AU rev :)

What parts would be required in the bottom end AND head, to be able to get the AU6 to rev to 7k comfortably? I know we've all spoken about it before, and I have spun to 6600RPM before ()but just want to know what I would need to ensure that it was reliable at that kind of level.
If Im going to do it again, Ill do it properly this time......

Old 24-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
B&D Racing
Banned

Default Re: Making the AU rev :)

Hey Ralph

New timing chain tensioners for one and good heavy duty springs and retainers..
B&D Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2012, 02:06 AM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmmm dunno Monty, i would imagine some strong rods would be high in the list there , crank girdle perhaps? better head bolts? race balancer, blue print and a balance of rotating mass.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2012, 06:21 AM   #4
The Monty
Just slidin'

I was thinking girdle, h/d oil pump and harmonic balancer. Already have the springs and retainers.
Old 25-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

AU 6 pots have a main stud girdle standard, and the cast sump forms an integral part of the bottom end, bolting to the side of the main caps.
It's very solid and won't need anything else IMO.

It really depends on how long and often you plan to sit at those revs, but at a guess, for short durations on the drag strip, it would likely do it in standard trim.

The head will just need the appropriate springs/retainers.

You might want to talk to an engine builder who has had a lot of experience with AU 6 about rods and pistons for bulletproof reliability.
Old 25-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id de-stroke it for those revs.
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

rods would be a priority and a balance

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lighter pistons with a good set of rings and new stronger rods. A long stroke engine such as this has massive piston speeds and accelerations at those revs and rods and ring lands are put under extreme stress. I've also read somewhere that the BA engine has a nasty crank harmonic at about 7000rpm, this may or may not be true for the AU also.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4ME
Id de-stroke it for those revs.
I would too lol! Cost though?.... Even getting a stock crank and modifying it (lightened & balanced) would go a long way towards your motor revving to 7000rpm reliably.
Depending on how much $$$$ youve got, crank & rods should be a priority.

Good luck with it & good to see you back- looking foward to your new AU journey!

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
xr8ute
Back on the road

Surely you would need to spend more time modifying the valve train than the bottom end?

The bottom end just needs to hold together, and stay lubricated. What are the rod bolts like in the I6?

The top end needs to keep the valves in control. What are the hydraulic lash adjusters like above 6k rpm? Can you replace these with a solid?

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
Surely you would need to spend more time modifying the valve train than the bottom end?
The top end is pretty bulletproof, aside from the usual springs/retainers.
Quote:
The bottom end just needs to hold together, and stay lubricated. What are the rod bolts like in the I6?
If only, piston speed is the big problem with the Ford I6 as it's very undersquare.
Quote:
The top end needs to keep the valves in control. What are the hydraulic lash adjusters like above 6k rpm? Can you replace these with a solid?
7k is nothing for a top end design like the I6.
Old 25-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #12
The Monty
Just slidin'

My old limiter was 6200ish, I took it too that from cold every morning, everyday of its life, and it didnt care at all. That was with the big cam, and JMM valve springs and retainers, nothing else.
My first AU I took to 6600rpm about 5 times, standard everything under the rocker cover, no wobbles, no worries, no anything.
I think if its just for the drags, it would be fine. Set it at 7000rpm, use it if I want to, dont if I dont. If it blows, tow it and throw in another bottom end...