Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 18-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #1
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default RE: Hatchback Gas Struts

Hi All,

Just after your own thoughts / experiences with the Gas Struts in the Hatchback. The car is now almost 3yrs old and I am looking to finalise any issues to take to Ford and get fixed / replaced under warranty.
I understand that the rear hatch is a very heavy piece of work, however I am concerned that the Gas Struts could be on their way out...

When I open the hatch, I have to lift the boot upwards. From about 160cm above ground level (top of boot lid / brake light etc.) It holds its own weight (just), however above that height around 160cm - 180cm it will take the hatch all the way up. Under 160cm and the Gas Struts will not hold at all and the hatch just slams shut.

How does this compare to others out there?

Old 28-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
mud
Pommy Ford tragic

Default Re: Hatchback Gas Struts

My car is a 2009 XR5 and the tailgate still stays open anywhere from about one third of the way up.

I'd say to them it wasn't like that originally and they should replace them.
Old 28-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #3
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers Mate, the car is going in on the 12th of June, so see what happens...
Old 29-05-2014, 08:00 AM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
My car is a 2009 XR5 and the tailgate still stays open anywhere from about one third of the way up.
Same with my 2009 Zetec.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
GT2

I changed the struts not long after buying the car new. The tailgate opened quite high and hit the roof in the shopping centre car park a couple of times. My wife also found it difficult to reach when opened.
Anyway, I had a strut guy come out and install slightly shorter struts. From memory around $80 for the pair.
GT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #6
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the update guys...
Old 04-06-2014, 11:15 PM   #7
Austom
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2 View Post
I changed the struts not long after buying the car new. The tailgate opened quite high and hit the roof in the shopping centre car park a couple of times. My wife also found it difficult to reach when opened.
Anyway, I had a strut guy come out and install slightly shorter struts. From memory around $80 for the pair.
I have the same issue when the tailgate is opened in our carport. Pain in the backside trying to hold the tailgate down a few inches while trying to unload the car. Would you happen to have the make and part number of the strutts you fitted. Would love to get a set for mine
Austom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was in at Ford today and they have ordered 2 new struts and a new parcel shelf!

I will report back when both have been installed!
Old 17-06-2014, 09:32 PM   #9
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So new Gas Struts and Parcel Shelf have been installed.
Not much of a difference, but good to get faulty components replaced!

Shout out to Q Ford at Hillcrest! (Thanks for your service yet again!)