Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-09-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 
Default AU Factory sub

Is it worth installing a sub into the factory location with the same sort of sub factory came out with? I'm pretty sure its a Free-Air styled one and probably around 8". I'm not after huge bass, but some nice quality sound.

Old 19-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Hi Blueprint,

My AU2 Ghia has the premo sound system, and I would say "don't bother" to the idea of adding an free air 8" subbie !

From what I can gather, it adds more 'depth' rather than thump or rumble to the music I listen to (dance/house/tech etc), and can easily be made to distort on higher volume levels.

A small boxed-up sub tucked by the rear seats in the boot will be 100% more effective.

Just my 2 cents worth anyway....

Cheers
SSVPom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2007, 08:37 PM   #3
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Okies... i wasnt going to use a factory sub, but an aftermarket in the some location and type... but maybe not... My biggest problem is the LPG tank.
Old 19-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Fair enough, maybe if more depth and weight to the music is all you're after (I re-read your first post by the way!), then the parcel shelf is the way to go !
SSVPom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

ok ok... i kinda lied i spose... i like dance music aswell as old rock and stuff... i'm not after 2 sub type power bass, but some real clear omph in the dance tracks would be great...
Old 19-09-2007, 09:14 PM   #6
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Yeah, pretty much no free air sub is going to give you nice bass. If you just want a bit of nice clear bass, just go for a 10 in a small sealed box.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2007, 09:17 PM   #7
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Righto... any threads/sites on AU sub setups that include designs and drawings?
Old 19-09-2007, 11:56 PM   #8
blu falc
acclaimed user

you can fit a 10" free air sub if you use a spacer, and private9 I don't think you have much experience with free air subs. you can get good bass from them but don't have expectations that they can extend as low as a 12" sub.

You will find that sound deadening the parcel shelf will also increase the bass noticeably as well as help reduce rattles.

The stock 8" sub is crap though, it's not because it's underpowered as I tried running it off a much bigger amp, it's just a cheap sub and really only cancels out road noise than add much to the music
blu falc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 12:03 AM   #9
HLC
Audi S3

i reckon the stock premo sound is alright. i love driving my mums 'lane with premo sound cause the music now has some added bass. i listen to heavy metal, and the 8 inch is still punchy enough to keep up with crazy fast double kicks too.
Old 20-09-2007, 12:26 AM   #10
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu falc
you can fit a 10" free air sub if you use a spacer, and private9 I don't think you have much experience with free air subs. you can get good bass from them but don't have expectations that they can extend as low as a 12" sub.

You will find that sound deadening the parcel shelf will also increase the bass noticeably as well as help reduce rattles.

The stock 8" sub is crap though, it's not because it's underpowered as I tried running it off a much bigger amp, it's just a cheap sub and really only cancels out road noise than add much to the music
I know you can get ok bass, I should have been more specific in my point, being that pretty much anything boxed is going to sound better. Where you cannot afford to lose any boot space, free-air is a good option, but if you can lose that bit of boot space, I just don't think it's worth it.
Old 20-09-2007, 12:29 AM   #11
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

I need to do some more research before i do anything... i have a 10" sub and 2 channel amp i want to use, but am restricted in room. I want to use the cavity on the drivers side wall of the boot, as i have a LPG tank in the way behind the seats.
Old 20-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #12
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can always get a decent aftermarket 8" and build a small box around it on the underside of the shelf. My dad has this setup in his AU Ghia and its sounds pretty impressive. Not very intrusive at all, you can hardly notice it with the boot open. I would say it would fit with a lpg tank in there also.

Evan
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 06:03 PM   #13
blacklabel

The centre shelf is ok for a small sub,providing it's well fitted and has plenty of dampening when fitting,otherwise that shelf area vibrates something wicked when even medium volumes are applied!

Or you could do what I have done-(and before anyone flames me,it actually works damn well!) and use the cars built in,ultimate 100% portable sub box-the spare tyre!
I am not kidding.I have 2 grunty Alpine SLR's as my parcel shelf speakers and was about to fit a small sub into the 8inch centre hole,when my mate showed me his portable sub in his beamer's spare wheel.
I have a 12 Alpine sub,with a spacer made of MDF that I cut to match the size of the inner wheel well of my spare.It simply sits flush in the back of the spare.
Pop the carpet back over thats it! And the tyre kills any vibration.Best damn speaker box I've ever had,and sounds great!
Good luck.
blacklabel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #14
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklabel
The centre shelf is ok for a small sub,providing it's well fitted and has plenty of dampening when fitting,otherwise that shelf area vibrates something wicked when even medium volumes are applied!

Or you could do what I have done-(and before anyone flames me,it actually works damn well!) and use the cars built in,ultimate 100% portable sub box-the spare tyre!
I am not kidding.I have 2 grunty Alpine SLR's as my parcel shelf speakers and was about to fit a small sub into the 8inch centre hole,when my mate showed me his portable sub in his beamer's spare wheel.
I have a 12 Alpine sub,with a spacer made of MDF that I cut to match the size of the inner wheel well of my spare.It simply sits flush in the back of the spare.
Pop the carpet back over thats it! And the tyre kills any vibration.Best damn speaker box I've ever had,and sounds great!
Good luck.
That's actually a damn good idea! With a protective grille over it, carpet back on top, you lose no boot space and keep your spare tyre. I'll keep this one in mind for future installs.
Old 20-09-2007, 06:45 PM   #15
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

one could EASILY make a fibreglass box or even MDF box that sits on the side in the cavity between the tail light and strut tower..

for a 10" or 12" sub

if anybody in QLD is after a stock sub.. i have one here they can have for $20 or somthing
Old 20-09-2007, 07:44 PM   #16
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

This is the area that i can use... not enough room for a small sub under the parcel shelf either :

Old 20-09-2007, 07:47 PM   #17
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a 10 or 12" sub will fit in a box made to follow hte contours there perfectly!!

just needs to be around 1 cubic foot..
Old 20-09-2007, 08:01 PM   #18
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Thats what i was hoping... I want it so it can be removed without to much hassle via a couple of clips and a loom.