Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-05-2015, 08:32 PM   #1
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Should parallel parking be tested?

http://jalopnik.com/parallel-parking...ess-1706121180

Maryland is removing parallel parking from it's driving test. Should our states do the same?

the examiner has to test the driver’s ability to assess their surroundings, accelerate, brake and steer smoothly, perform lane changes, make left, right, u- and three-point-turns, avoid pedestrians, bicyclists, and rogue 4 year olds, get on and off the freeway, and all the other flotsam and jetsam that drivers face every single day. And in Maryland, they also have to reverse into a parking space.
"Our response is, nobody dies [while] parallel parking. We want to work on entering and exiting expressways and focus on more dangerous maneuvers.”
Old 24-05-2015, 08:35 PM   #2
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 
Default Re: Should parallel parking be tested?

I think its useless and most people who arent competent with parallel parking or have parking aid will avoid it all together just IMO.
This user likes this post:
Old 24-05-2015, 08:40 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Been driving for 5 years, I've never done a parallel park.

If something is a pain in the *** I avoid it unless 100% necessary.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #4
Itsme
Experienced Member

Should be part of the test.
It is getting to the stage where people are allowed to drive cars with no basic knowledge or skills to do certain maneuvers that is required in everyday driving & parallel parking is one of them.

I only give exception to motorists who have angle parking in their areas.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2015, 09:25 PM   #5
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Should stay as part of the test in my opinion. They should add a few things not remove them.
Teaching how to merge onto a freeway matching the oncoming traffic speed would be a good place to start.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2015, 09:44 PM   #6
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Parallel Parking... and all other forms of parking should be part of the competence testing whilst obtaining a driver's licence !

It seems that not enough importance is given to these areas, when you consider the way a lot of cars get parked already !

Learning to park properly teaches people to judge the size of the car they are driving... and would help reduce the number of minor accidents that happen every day ! Way too many bad drivers just "bump & run"... leaving someone to come back and find damage to their own car... and no note (& a repair bill for something they didn't do !)

Just my opinion
D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2015, 09:53 PM   #7
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Around here we have rear in, 45 degree angle parking and most people can't even get that right, they all park at nearly 90 degrees. Yet they got it right 50 years ago if you look at old pictures of the main street.

My wife has been driving for 35 years and still finds parallel parking a major challenge.
Old 24-05-2015, 10:19 PM   #8
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anything that encourages people to drive back home and catch the bus because they don't know how to park should be encouraged IMHO - it leaves more space for the rest of us.

Seriously, parking is part of training in spatial awareness which is a fundamental skill for driving. What are they thinking?
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2015, 10:33 PM   #9
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
I only give exception to motorists who have angle parking in their areas.
Can't speak for anywhere else, but almost every park in Mudgee is rear to kerb angle parking, yet more than half of drivers seam to be unable to do it. Return to your car and half the time someone has parked next to you over the line.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2015, 11:32 PM   #10
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I learnt to drive in a town where rear to kerb angle parking was and is still used in the shopping precinct.

After I moved to Sydney I learnt to parallel park.

I can’t see the problem with either as they are both easy enough to do.

Still you’ve only got to be in a shopping centre car park where it’s a simple drive in between the lines manoeuvre to know there are drivers who just don’t care.

Some of it is simply a reflection of driving etiquette in general where courtesy towards other road users is the last thing some people would consider.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2015, 07:07 AM   #11
LTDHO
The one and only

With the introduction of the auto-park function, it wont be long until all new cars have these. So wouldn't it be testing for something that will never be used.

Getting your licence is easy enough, this will just make it easier.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2015, 08:34 AM   #12
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are driving in city (Melbourne) and want to park you need to do the parallel park. When I used to drive to work in the city, I would do this daily.

So yes it needs to stay. It is a fine art to learn it, and gives the driver something different than just driving forward.

On my test I got an angle park which was easy because they choose a spot with only 1 car parked next to me. Just lined up my park off the car next to me.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2015, 08:57 AM   #13
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Yeah it should still be part of the test, you would laugh at the amount of people who attempt this in Brisbane and successfully hold up traffic for 15 minutes while they go in, out, up the road, try again, etc etc etc.

Also add roundabout etiquette, highway merging and how to ignore your mobile as well.
Old 25-05-2015, 09:22 AM   #14
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
With the introduction of the auto-park function, it wont be long until all new cars have these. So wouldn't it be testing for something that will never be used.
With the adding of this sort of technology to cars at an incremental rate nowadays, the logical deduction from this is:

. lane changing won't need to be tested
. braking behind a line of cars won't need to be tested
..... etc, then eventually
. ability to drive won't need to be tested.

I've always had the view that no matter how automated a piece of machinery is, I like to have a mental handle on its functioning for when it suddenly stops being automatic. Call me old fashioned!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2015, 09:36 AM   #15
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, it's part of the ability of being competent to drive.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2015, 11:30 AM   #16
Harrison

Maybe they should just increase the test time to 40 mins ?

That's how long they are around here.

Emulating virtually any such practices used in the US is not something I'm wishing for our government to adopt.

Commonsense doesn't seem to have a high priority over there.
Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2015, 12:13 PM   #17
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes it should remain compulsory.

Drivers should also be taught not to drive right up behind someone when they are attempting one. effectively stopping all traffic flow
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2015, 12:27 PM   #18
pigglesworth
Starter Motor

Eh, leaves more parking spaces for me if fools don't know how to parallel park - it's not a skill that's going to make our roads safer so leave it out for all I care. Whilst it's officially in the 'curriculum' for driving over here in WA, I am not aware of anybody actually being asked to do it in a driving test, I guess the testers in my area don't think it's too important.
pigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #19
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Our response is, nobody dies [while] parallel parking.
10 seconds of googling

http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/woman-dies-...park-1.1784023

http://gothamist.com/2014/03/18/elde...river_atte.php
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it is part of the dumbing down process, at some stage when enough people can`t drive in a competent fashion , it will be "we should make all cars self drive" problem solved.
As it is already ......... basic seat of the pants driving skills are being weened out of the population with all the safety gear in cars these days.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #21
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Parallel parking should be the first thing tested and if you fail the test ends there! Come back again when you can park the vehicle properly and we will continue with the test of competencies!

All the people you see having trouble with parallel parking will also have trouble with the more dynamic competencies of driving that are done at speed.

So many you tube videos now and real life situations exist where you see someone in a panic situation who locks up and just pile drives other cars instead of using brake modulation and spatial awareness to drive around something and actually avoid a crash.

Parallel parking is just spatial awareness and the ability to carry out a driving evolution at very low speed. God help them if they can't park a car and something happens at a higher speed! God help the rest of us too if their numbers increase!
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #22
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflac52 View Post
Parallel parking is just spatial awareness and the ability to carry out a driving evolution at very low speed. God help them if they can't park a car and something happens at a higher speed! God help the rest of us too if their numbers increase!
With spatial awareness, is there anybody who can precisely judge the distance behind them while reversing in a Falcon Sedan BA onwards, with the high rear boot line? Its a very easy feat in anything AU and prior, and in the utes, but after the BA, its near impossible or I have horrible spatial awareness..
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #23
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seriously if you can not park your car you should probably not be driving one in the first place, it's a very basic skill that people driving in the city use multiple times daily.

I personally know people who will drive around, and drive past perfectly good parking spaces as they require a parallel or a basic reverse park as they can't do it. That is embarrassing to me, it is a simple task.

Problem is most people living in the bush never reverse park in their life.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2015, 02:03 AM   #24
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you see some of the best parkers in melbourne(sarcasm),
im sure there must be a school that teaches touch parking as the technique, you watch people in car parks and hit cars all the time, i had mine woppedd before i even got 15 feet away from the car ... seriously .
Old 26-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #25
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
With the adding of this sort of technology to cars at an incremental rate nowadays, the logical deduction from this is:

. lane changing won't need to be tested
. braking behind a line of cars won't need to be tested
..... etc, then eventually
. ability to drive won't need to be tested.

I've always had the view that no matter how automated a piece of machinery is, I like to have a mental handle on its functioning for when it suddenly stops being automatic. Call me old fashioned!
Sadly I agree.

Cars are becoming easier to drive and are taking skills away from drivers.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #26
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, it should be tested. Can you imagine how much more time would be wasted by workers standing at windows laughing at poor Parkers than now if it wasn't tested?

Outside my work window there is room for 2 cars, but the road is a slight curve. The number of people who can't park in under 5 movements is amazing, and is hours of fun every week.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2015, 01:48 PM   #27
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some people can park, others can't - it's as simple as that. So they train to parallel park their car for the driving test - big deal.......no amount of training will ever help some drivers for the next 40+ years of driving - they simply cannot park and never will be able to park, period. We share the road with the mentally challenged which makes life on the road dangerous/frustrating/entertaining and downright unbelievable.........like the time I went to Bunnings on the weekend - some mentally challenged person couldn't work out the 'trailer' parking bays indicated by the markings on the road ........so they parked on the diagonal and blocked both bays, I actually stopped the car in disbelief and just stared - I said to my wife while looking at how they'd parked, 'I'd love to be that stupid, life would be so much more of an adventure!'

People who can parallel park are just as entertaining as the ones who can't. I find it amusing when they complain their car has been damaged by a touch parker ......'oh your one of those good parkers who think others can park too'.......bwahahahahah.....more fool you. I would never parallel park my car on a street because I know it will get damaged, it's gunna' happen!!

Look at boaties, we buy fish and chips just to go down and be entertained at the boat ramp. If anyone wants the laugh of a lifetime forget about the parallel parkers.......move on to the boat ramps absolutely gold!!!!!!!

.....so keeping on topic of getting rid of it/keeping it........who cares - won't change a bloody thing. I'd be more concerned about old 'pops' who CAN park but couldn't tow to save his life but has just gone out and bought a 25ft van for that lap around 'oz'. .......life's one big adventure
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2015, 01:54 PM   #28
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Yeah let's take it out and further dumb down an already dumb society of braindead Australian Drivers.
Old 26-05-2015, 01:54 PM   #29
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

It should remain, it is a basic fundamental of driving, being able to maneuver the car into a car park that will also test the driver's capability of handling the car and understanding the car's dimensions and environment.

Too many times do i see people holding up traffic because they're on their third go at trying to parallel park, in the end some of them hit curb, a post or the car behind them.
Old 26-05-2015, 04:40 PM   #30
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
Some people can park, others can't - it's as simple as that. So they train to parallel park their car for the driving test - big deal.......no amount of training will ever help some drivers for the next 40+ years of driving - they simply cannot park and never will be able to park, period. We share the road with the mentally challenged which makes life on the road dangerous/frustrating/entertaining and downright unbelievable.........like the time I went to Bunnings on the weekend - some mentally challenged person couldn't work out the 'trailer' parking bays indicated by the markings on the road ........so they parked on the diagonal and blocked both bays, I actually stopped the car in disbelief and just stared - I said to my wife while looking at how they'd parked, 'I'd love to be that stupid, life would be so much more of an adventure!'

People who can parallel park are just as entertaining as the ones who can't. I find it amusing when they complain their car has been damaged by a touch parker ......'oh your one of those good parkers who think others can park too'.......bwahahahahah.....more fool you. I would never parallel park my car on a street because I know it will get damaged, it's gunna' happen!!

Look at boaties, we buy fish and chips just to go down and be entertained at the boat ramp. If anyone wants the laugh of a lifetime forget about the parallel parkers.......move on to the boat ramps absolutely gold!!!!!!!

.....so keeping on topic of getting rid of it/keeping it........who cares - won't change a bloody thing. I'd be more concerned about old 'pops' who CAN park but couldn't tow to save his life but has just gone out and bought a 25ft van for that lap around 'oz'. .......life's one big adventure
the point with the caravan is one i share and have always thought there should be at least some training , even if its just a basic bit of education on them , some of them handle worse than a semi , but you have to have a licence for semi .