Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
playtime141618

Default adelaide motor show

Hay I’m just wondering if any one has made it to the Adelaide motor show yet? The couple reports I have herd, have been bad and I’m not keen on wasting a load of money if it’s not good.

I’m keen to here what you guys think

Running with scissors and Always using my outside voice

Weapon of choice = 78 ZH fairlane 351-FMX-9inch
playtime141618 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
bbcoupe
It's simple, more CUBES!

The Adelaide motor show this year????? I went the other day and got in for half price and still thought I had been ripped off!!

The representation from nearly all of the manufacturers was average with Holden dominating the show. I used to go to the motor show to see and learn about the latest and upcoming vehicles(in particlular Fords) and hopefully leave with a feeling of enthusiasm to buy a new car.

Being an enthusiastic Ford supporter for the last 24years I made my way to the Ford display to check out the upcoming FG range the press had been flogging during the past months. There were 2 FPV vehicles, an XR6T & XR8 and the 2 top end FG Falcons (replacements for the Fairmont and Fairmont Ghia). Allright....you might say this is good enough due to the models not being available yet, but.....ask for any info on the new line-up and one of the reps on the stand puls out a scrap of paper and a pencil and draws a rough FG family tree outlining the range and describing what the new models have replaced, then a friendly offer to send out some info over the next few weeks. The only consolation being a plastic Ford bag with a ballon and FG XR8 poster! The FPV display was just as disapointing with very little information on vehicle specs and model choices.

Heres what you'll see at the Ford display;
FPV FG-GT, FG-F6.
FG-XR6 Turbo
FG-G6E, FG-G6E Turbo
FG-XR8 ute
Fiesta XR4
Mondeo Hatch
Focus coupe-cabriolet
Focus lx hatch
Territory AWD Ghia
Escape
Ranger XLT crew cab
European left hand drive Mondeo Wagon
I think that covers it, if I missed anything it couldn't have been very memorable!

When I started to ask further questons about the lack of vehicles on display and what future changes might lay ahead for the Territory and commercial vehicles I was refered to a rep on the stand who was a salesman from one of the local Ford dealers.

For mere curiosity and for the fact that you can't overlook its size and presentation, I checked out the Holden Stand. Imediately your attention is grabbed by the HSV 427 370kw Sedan (on sale mid year) on a rotating display and also the Concept coupe on another rotating display, Then there is almost a full lineup of VE comodores including 2 vesions of the VE sports-wagon, a healthy display of small and mid sized cars all finished off with a well stocked merchandise shop. The GMH presence was also a main feature in the second pavillion with a display of there past concept vehicles.

Anyway I don't normally voice to many opinions here, but the disapointment I felt walking out of the motorshow was unexpected. Ford Australia could really learn a lot from GMH about the way they respond to there buyers and supporters when it comes to marketing there image!
bbcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #3
prydey
Rob

couldn't agree more. i actually wanted to view the xt but there wasn't one and when i asked why i was given a look that said it all really.

i tried to pop the bonnet on the gt (as you do) but it had been disabled. the person on display then acted like some spoilt kid who knows something you don't and said its all hush hush but it will be a big surprise.

the mondeo wagon was the pick of the stand i reckon. it looked classy as.

all cars on display had the std factory lift kit too.

best bit about the show was the hot rod and street machine section where you could see a small selection of 'real' cars.

no trucks this year. no porsche, bmw, merc, lambo, bentley, jag. there was 2 ferraris and 2 maserati's.

poked my head in the bike pavilion but not really my thing.

yep, very poor effort this year. $14 to get in isn't too bad. if the new falcon wasn't there i wouldn't even have bothered going.

got myself a a1 size laminated xy phase 3 poster though. the yellow one in a workshop. $10 you can't go wrong.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was offered free tickets and a free car parking space on site and I still didn't bother to go.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post