Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Site Sponsor Forums - In Alphabetical Order > Blue Power Racing Developments

Blue Power Racing Developments The home of Blue Power. Website Link

Old 11-05-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
redrkt
Starter Motor

Default My Tune up Experience

I have a black BA Mk II XR8 ute as you can see in my Avtar. Before i took this down to Blue Power i had already done a few modifacations to the ute.

These were:

Installed a full Herrod Exhaust System and had the rear resonator removed (Makes more noise this way)
Installed the Helix Throttle Body Spacer
Installed a wide mouthed Cold Air Induction System
Had 19" Rims fitted to the ute
Had the ute lowered (3" at the rear and 2" at the front) to make it sit nice and level.

I drove down to Melbourne on the Friday and dropped the ute off to Chris. When he initially put the ute on the Dyno it was making 212 kW at the rear wheels. After Chris did his initial tune on the ute he got this power up to 226 kW at the wheels. I spoke to Chris at length about this and he advised me that he thought that the cold air induction system that i had installed on the ute was still causing restrictions.
He told me that he would try one of his airboxes on the ute and that if it did not show significant increases in power that he would remove this. After the airbox was installed and the tune re-done on the ute the power jumped from 226 kW at the wheels to 235 kW!! When Chris rang me and told me of this i told him to leave the airbox on. It showed an increase of 8 kW at the wheels going from a cold air induction system to one of his airboxes.
When i picked the ute up and took it for a drive i could not belive how much better the ute felt to drive and how much you could notice the increase in power!!
Fuel economy in the ute has degraded marginally but i suspect that is down to the way that i am driving it, not for any other reason!!
Next thing for the ute will be a change in diff for the ute to see if i can find better down power or at least make it feel like it does...

I just wanted to say a big THANKS Chris for the work that you did on the ute and for all the advice that you gave me (understanding the dyno sheets and stuff). Truly was a great experience and will be back to see you soon... (Might even have to look at a blower!!)

Cheers,

Phill..
:

redrkt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2007, 03:06 PM   #2
XRCIST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Awesome Phil, glad your happy with it, that is some stonking power. Is yours auto or manual? Chris sure knows his stuff and its great that he takes the time to explain everything to you. Are you coming to the drag day?

This reminds me, i may need to come in for some pre AFF drag day adjustments :
XRCIST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
redrkt
Starter Motor

XRCIST, It's a 6 Speed Manual.

I llive in Canberra so if you're talking about drag racing in melbourne i won't be there, although one day i think i'll have to puti it down the strip to see how well it goes...
Old 11-05-2007, 04:54 PM   #4
Scott

Been waiting for this thread........ tell em the whole story Phyllis. I was on the phone to Phil just after he picked it up and he was yahooin and carrying on, smiling so much by the sounds of it he didn't need headlights for the whole 600k's home.

I was lucky enough to drive this Ute before and after the tune and the difference is substantial to say the least. Maybe that's why I got scared and took the GT to Brisbane before he lined me up......

Congrats mate, one of the nicest Ute's getting around and now with the poke to match. Just need that blower
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Looks good in his Avatar, have you posted pics anywhere, i'd love to have a look if you have a link for me?
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2007, 05:16 PM   #6
GT595
Bluepower enhanced GT

Hey Phil,
Good to see another ACTer making the trip to The big Mex for some tuning.
Mighty fine result on the ute.
As stated by all (excluding his competetors) he is the best in the business......
Should catch up around the traps - there is quite a few of us modded by BluePower in the ACT.
Damo
GT595 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2007, 06:03 PM   #7
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Phil, is an awesome feeling driving away from Chris's workshop with a Bluepower tune and putting the foot down........enjoy!! :
Old 11-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #8
redrkt
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Looks good in his Avatar, have you posted pics anywhere, i'd love to have a look if you have a link for me?

I haven't got them loaded up yet, will do that soon and will let you know when i have done this..
Old 11-05-2007, 10:19 PM   #9
X ORSMXR
missing the panther

Hi bud congrats on the tune.
Want more power get rid of the Herrod Zorst they dont work which l have proven in the past.On his Dyno in front of him...

Cheers Chris
X ORSMXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2007, 12:21 AM   #10
BA_BOSS

Phil, nice looking ute and Chris certainly knows his stuff. Check this thread on my XR8 A4 to give you an idea of good exhaust, BP airbox and custom tune can do.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=96761

Go the 4.10 diff, you won't regret it.

Enjoy your ride.

Cheers Norm....
BA_BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2007, 12:50 AM   #11
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSMXR
Hi bud congrats on the tune.
Want more power get rid of the Herrod Zorst they dont work which l have proven in the past.On his Dyno in front of him...

Cheers Chris
In comparison to?

Could you shoot me a PM as to what you mean and what your system was?
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #12
redrkt
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_BOSS
Phil, nice looking ute and Chris certainly knows his stuff. Check this thread on my XR8 A4 to give you an idea of good exhaust, BP airbox and custom tune can do.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=96761

Go the 4.10 diff, you won't regret it.

Enjoy your ride.

Cheers Norm....
Norm,

I read your thread before and this was a helpful push to make me go and see the boys in Melbourne. I was trying to get a quad system installed at the same time but just could not organise it in the time frame that i had.

Will be doing the diff very shortly and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for getting this done in Canberra??

Cheers,
Phill..
Old 13-05-2007, 08:27 AM   #13
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

A good read there Phill, Chris is an awesome guy and a great tuner, glad you are happy with your Bluepower tune, but how could you not?

In regards to diffs, I haven't gone there yet myself to do diff gears ($$$) but I have heard great things about the Diff Dr in Fyshwick. If I ever have any troubles now or can do the ratio swap I'll probably be going there.

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 03:03 PM   #14
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrkt
I haven't got them loaded up yet, will do that soon and will let you know when i have done this..
Don't worry mate, I'll do it for you :

Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 03:37 PM   #15
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate!
that looks amazing!!!!
that has to be one of THE best looking BA utes to date!
its just so... TOUGH
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 05:52 PM   #16
redrkt
Starter Motor

Wink

[QUOTE=GTP006]Don't worry mate, I'll do it for you :

Thanks GTP006 for loading those for me, you're a champ!!

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the way that it looks and goes now.
Old 26-06-2007, 09:08 PM   #17
Jason50
Boosted...

[QUOTE=redrkt]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Don't worry mate, I'll do it for you :

Thanks GTP006 for loading those for me, you're a champ!!

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the way that it looks and goes now.
Great pictures.

Make sure you don't go for a ride in the Blue power ute or you will want more...

Last edited by Jason50; 26-06-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Jason50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2007, 08:24 PM   #18
redrkt
Starter Motor

Bah, I already want more..... just need some motivation to get a new diff centre and stop being such girl.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:29 PM   #19
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Love the debadged look - gives it very clean lines and makes it unique. I've always loved the utes and have owned 2 of them. The paintwork condition (from what I can see from the photos) is a credit to you. You just need the diff gears and the Di Filippo exhaust now.

Cheers
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post