Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 
Default Genric laptop batteries?

Anyone recommend them?

I've got an Acer Aspire 5740g, and the battery is:

-AS07A31
-10.8v
-4400mAh, 47.5Wh

All replacements are of the following:

-11.1V
-5200MAh

The genuine replacement is:
-11.1V
-4400mAh

Does the capacity and voltage matter? As far as quality is concerned, the one i have now lasted 3 years, an i believe leaving it plugged in has ruined it.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: Genric laptop batteries?

I put a generic battery in my Toshiba, no issues so far.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Where are you buying from? If online, most of the 'Aussie' sites are based overseas. I would only buy a laptop battery from a real, walk in shop. Or a site linked to a real shop.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not an expert but the Mah being greater on the generic should mean itll last longer.

I bought a generic one from Battery World for my compaq laptop at less then half the price of the genuine one. Charge does last longer then the genuine one, but its only 6months old now, if it last longer then 12months im happy as the orginals only lasted about a yr before i had to throw them out.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Anyone recommend them?

I've got an Acer Aspire 5740g, and the battery is:

-AS07A31
-10.8v
-4400mAh, 47.5Wh

All replacements are of the following:

-11.1V
-5200MAh

The genuine replacement is:
-11.1V
-4400mAh

Does the capacity and voltage matter? As far as quality is concerned, the one i have now lasted 3 years, an i believe leaving it plugged in has ruined it.
Voltage does not mean a lot in that situation as the actual voltage will be somewhere between 9 and 12 volts depending on state of charge and load.

5200 mAh (milliamp hours) is the rated capacity of the battery.
Theoretically the battery is rated to supply 5.2 amps for 1 hour or 1 amp for 5.2 hours.

This is like your car is rated at 10l/100km and you have a 70l tank so it will go exctly 700 per tank of fuel. Well maybe......

The larger the rating the long it will last under the same load provided that the temperature is the same and the battery technology is the same.

Three engines developing 300kw @ 4000 rpm in the same car will all act differently if one is diesel, one NA V8 petrol and third T6 petrol and the OAT is -5 deg or 50 deg.

In saying all this grab the cheapest as they are all old tech and you will seldom use them for long periods on batteries.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
wookie836
Highway wanderer

I bought a replacement battery for my toshiba laptop from china via ebay. its been in there over 6 months and holds a great charge. laptop batteries are not built to constantly be on a charger and if you want a long life from a battery you must run it down, opposed to just letting it sit there on the charge. mobile phone batteries are very similar.
wookie836 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
ch33z1l
Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Where are you buying from? If online, most of the 'Aussie' sites are based overseas. I would only buy a laptop battery from a real, walk in shop. Or a site linked to a real shop.
+1 I bought an AC adaptor for an EePC, turned it on, seemed OK. Shut the PC down, and it wouldn't turn on again.
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Have had a Compaq for a number of years. Earlier this year the battery went dead. I replaced it with a generic 12 cell instead of the 6 cell. Lasts ages and all delivered for less than $50.

An added bonus was the fact that at double the thickness of the original, the laptop is slightly angled towards me now.

A few months ago, the charger died. An $18 eBay replacement is doing the job nicely.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
Drizz06
XR50th

Try and buy one fitted with genuine Panasonic cells (they pretty much make 99% of all laptop 18665 cells) Li-on batteries can be incredibly dangerous and wouldnt recommend cheap cells if laptop is for Daughter/Son etc.
Runabout- 1997 XH longreach in white.
Project- 1976 ZH fairlane 500
Drizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Hmmm, i was just going to get one of Ebay...30-odd $$$ and free postage. Sounds like its worth a shot.

I always make sure that it trun of the charger before bed, leaving the house yet because of that explosion stuff...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post