Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 
Default war horse

ive been told i would like this movie.

has anyone seen it and what are your impressions.

note i watch about 1 movie a year. i dont have a lot to reference to.

solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: war horse

if you only see one movie this year

Sorry couldnt resist

Ive seen it and quite enjoyed it, it was a well made movie IMHO

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

thank you. i might find the time to watch it.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a very good movie.....I enjoyed it

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great movie
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Chick Flick
Go see Skyfall.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This movie is slowwwwwwwww. I could not even get into it after 30 minutes. So did not watch it to the end.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
rjr

A reasonably good movie > I was a little bored about half way through so consulted Wikipedia and was then happy to watch the rest > as mentioned above it's bordering on a chick flick.
rjr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did nothing for me I'm afraid, and I love war'ys.
If you only see one movie a year then I would be going to see a real good one thats Oscar material.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:09 AM   #10
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
This movie is slowwwwwwwww. I could not even get into it after 30 minutes. So did not watch it to the end.
Yes, it is slow. I saw it at the theater and paid for it, so I watched it to the end.

It's a good movie, and it's not really about the horse, and it's slow, but it's worth seeing.

And it has one amazing segment in between Allied and German trenches.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #11
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

very interesting comments. interestingly enough a chick did recommend it to me, but to put it into perspective, she's a good friend i've known for decades.

the last movie i watched was thunderheart, made in the 80s. no i didnt see it in the 80s i saw it last year on the recommendation of another person i've known for a while.

getting past the 1980s north american culture, its a movie i enjoyed.

seems this movie requires a little ability of getting past some things.

i think its on my short list at his point.

thanks to all for the comments.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is a truly marvellous film , fiction and pure escapism but still a wonderful film . Given what laughingly passes for a " GOOD " blockbuster these days , this film stands head and shoulders above the overwhelming majority of them without even working up a sweat . If you place storyline , good believable acting and brilliant cinematography over smash em up bash em up car chases , shootouts , gratuitous violence for violences sake , gratuitous swearing and CGI then you will enjoy War Horse .
Old 12-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #13
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

i very well may enjoy this movie. i had family on both sides in both wars and was glad to entertain and have one of my distant cousins visit my home in the very early 80s, who had survived aerial bombing from another cousin who had grown up in north america. these bombing raids happened on a regular basis and each was pretty much well aware of the others situation sans national security issues.

i think this movie has reached my very short list.
Old 13-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

As a horse lover, and sometime watcher of war films, think of it as a lassie movie, albeit a very large lassie ;)

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
STINKY NINJA
Banned

War movies aside,if you love animals then watch this.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #16
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkgirl View Post
As a horse lover, and sometime watcher of war films, think of it as a lassie movie, albeit a very large lassie ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TE 220 View Post
War movies aside,if you love animals then watch this.
I grew up arround horses and dont particuly like them at all

I'm not much of an animal fan at all really, but I thought it was an interesting story and a well produced film or should I say filum

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #17
MarkAW

Bored Horse

The movie had no plot - at least none that an adult need to hold their attention.

The technicals (the shooting, the scenery, the costumes yada yada) were all very good.

But I go to the movies to be entertained and this was nothing more than a children's story wrapped in adult clothes.
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #18
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

It depends on the person watching. Everyone will see the movie in a different way. Some like fast action bang boom smash, others slower with more of a story, message or idea, or others with certain type of idea.

I found it a very very good movie, it is very much about the relationship between the young fellow who raised the horse 'Joey' and how they eventually find eachother after the hardship of the war. As well as lots of other ideas.
I've always found anything to do with wars absolutely disgusting, and some of things they happend in the movie really made me SO angry about the wars and what people did during them, I've never felt like that watching a movie before.

My whole family thought it was a very good movie in most respects, much better than most we have seen, as have most other people we know who've seen it said.
Animal lovers are definitely more likely to 'get' this movie.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #19
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

thanks all. im pretty sure i'm going to watch this movie. but i obviously need to set some ground rules.

1. rule number 1, it would be a good idea to watch it with a chick. Check ! i'm good with that.

2. rule number 2, it will be very important to be interested in and the historical and technical subject matter, even though the movie may not be technically and historically correct. Check ! 2 or 3 spaten optimators and i can look past any technical inaccuries.

ps. 7,2 or 7,8. one of those.

3. rule number 3, helps to be an animal lover. yeah im an old softy.

4. though i hate war i enjoy many technical advancements as a result of wars. this appreciation goes back to ancient times.

i think i'll watch it.