Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 11-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default 6500km on the clock, still tight?

Hey guys, I've got a Jan 09 build Fiesta CL which has been filled with premium all its 6500km, I still seem to only be able to get 6.3L/100km out of the thing, 90% 100km/h freeway driving 10% stop start traffic.

I serviced it at 5500km at work with new oil, air and oil filter at my workplace.

I also seem to be getting problems with the stereo, sometimes when searching through the radio stations, usually you get the radio station name come up on the presets, other times they dissapear or if you scan through, pick up another station that isn't on the preset, the screen just shows "///-/-/-". Another time I pressed the CD button and it said "Track 1/4567324032857909", a huge number like that. Sometimes it stops working, no sound and has to be turned off and on.

Can I go to Ford and ask for the latest ECU update? What does that fix?

Thanks much.

Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We get around 5ltr/100kms on trips... and about 6.3 - 6.8 around town. It could be still tight.. Alot of the work cars ive driven over the years including the new work van I have now... took 10,000kms before it loosened right up.

As for the stereo... probably once a week it needs to be turned off and on ive noticed because it has a hissy fit.

Maybe ask for any audio updates as well as the engine ecu... see what they say?
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yup. Troy pretty much nailed that one. Every so often just turn the sterio off for a bit, seems to stop it from overloading and freezing. I get the same figures as Troy too. I find, like any car, that on coolish days it's a little rocket, but these are small cars need to be revved. I still think mine feels tight at 11,000 but I'm no expert.
dannyhilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 05:47 AM   #4
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jan 09 still on the old tune from then can probably improve almost 1L/100 with a more modern fixed tune. Go have it flashed. How have you only done 6,500 I think we are up to 60,000, good news is it still feels the same as new, no problems whatever
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
Fi.ES.TA

Well ive clocked 30,000klm, definatley not tight but definatley lost 70klm to the tank from my 15,000 service i actually checked my diagnostics aswell and the lying feckers didnt even upgrade the software they said they did so where and how ive lost 70klm is beyond me i used to get 620klm now a measlie 550 and thats taking it to empty.
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Mine's a Dec 2008 build. Done 18,000kms (didn't get the car until March/April 2009).

I noticed the engine started to loosen up around the 10,000km mark ... I was still running the old software and had changed the oil myself at 7500kms, so had not been back for a software update since April 2009.

Since updating the software at the 15,000kms service a couple of weeks ago, the engine is running a little smoother, and fuel economy has definitely improved. I used to average around the 7L/100km around town and 6L/100km on the freeway, but that has now dropped to 6.5L/100km on the same trips around town, so it has definitely made a difference.

Mine's in great shape, with a polish it still looks like it just came off the showroom floor, and have had no problems whatsoever.

So it sounds like you need a software update.
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
notorious_benny
Just driving around......

When did the 'new' ecu program become 'standard'??

Just bought my wife a Nov '09 build last week off the show room floor, will it have the new or old software??

Hers has only got 250km on the clock at the moment, still getting used to an engine spinning over 3000rpm at highway speeds Been driving big cars around for too long.

If it will return in the region of 5L/100kms on the highway we would be pretty stoked!

Cheers

Benny.
notorious_benny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
Jan 09 still on the old tune from then can probably improve almost 1L/100 with a more modern fixed tune. Go have it flashed. How have you only done 6,500 I think we are up to 60,000, good news is it still feels the same as new, no problems whatever
I bought my car in 07/2009, only got my license on the 9th of march this year so it was just being used occasionally up until now where I drive it to work, then Dad takes it to his.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #9
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious_benny
When did the 'new' ecu program become 'standard'??
Should have fairly new software on it mate, we're talking pre July 2009 here as they seemed to have done a few different software updates during the first six months.

I too have noticed my fuel economy has drop off. It's just over 11,000 and where i sued to get high fours on smooth hi-way it's now doing low fives. No biggie. Just in need of a service IMHO, I can feel the engine getting slightly rougher, not to mention Toowoomba Winter weather is setting in, so getting a service soon is on my to-do list.

Gotta say though, the MK7 Fiesta is a bloody little ripper, had no big issues and my air-con seems to have fixed its self, it's bloody cold now. Not freezing, but after ten minutes I have to put it on one or two because it's actually working!
Old 12-04-2010, 11:09 PM   #10
notorious_benny
Just driving around......

Cheers for the info.
notorious_benny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post