Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #181
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like I have a similar 'barn find' story. There's a TC Cortina (my avatar photo) that's been sitting a shed for almost as long as I've been around. It is on my father's property and was parked there by a former neighbour.

The car has tarps over it, so it looks like the owner planned to keep it, but the car has deteriorated over the years and wasn't in the best condition in the first place, so I doubt that he would be bothered to pay so much money into restoring the car just so it can be roadworthy again. I'm guessing that since the owner has moved out, he's forgotten about the car or no worried about it anymore and hopefully I've got a possible restoration project.

When I discovered the open, I touched a dead spider while trying to find the lever

TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #182
disco

Hey George,

All good mate ; ). Loftie has confused my car for another that Ellis owned at the time

Hey Loftie,

Can you share that story mate?

I actually own this GT-HO, I bought it back in 2009 off of the second owner.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1312296&page=3

Cheers,
Dave.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #183
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco
Hey George,

All good mate ; ). Loftie has confused my car for another that Ellis owned at the time

Hey Loftie,

Can you share that story mate?

I actually own this GT-HO, I bought it back in 2009 off of the second owner.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1312296&page=3

Cheers,
Dave.
Apologies for the *wink wink* or *nudge nudge* - but sometimes people don't like names being associated with cars in public - but as Dave has mentioned that it was infact Ellis's car - that is fine...

To be fair - I may have confused the 2 cars... though I was sure the Derby Butcher car was the one that ended up bought by Ellis - who owned it for a number of years... It then made the journey to NZ about 3 years ago where it still resides to this day (to my knowledge)...
Old 19-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #184
disco

Loftie,

No probs mate.

Your story is on the mark, only that Ellis sold the other car. He actually regretted selling the one that went to NZ as he used it quite enthusiastically as a circuit car...it had some mods.

That car was sold to make way for PH 2 which didn't eventuate.

This car (pictured) was bought in the late 90's by Ellis and owned for some 10 years before I purchased it in '09.

Cheers,
Dave.

P.S Here's a link to a website where Ellis discusses the cars he owns/owned. This was a few years back.

http://www.wolfpac.com.au/ellis.htm

Last edited by disco; 19-01-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 19-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #185
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh drats
We have let the facts get in the way of a good story
Dam
Dam
Dam
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #186
disco

LOL...the 'story' is all true mate. The HO was a barn find.

cheers,
Dave.
Old 19-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #187
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A low mileage GT-HO would have to be the dreamiest find ever.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #188
stang777

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Must have had a colour change at some stage

C = Skyview Blue for XB/ZG range
i must have got the code wrong because i know the colour matches the code on the plate ill look again soon and let you know
stang777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #189
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its all cool Dave i know what ya mean
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 03:13 AM   #190
stang777

My best find so far would have to be out north of sa. I was driving past a guys yard when i was on holidays and spotted a couple of xbs i went up and asked if i could look at them and if if would be interested in selling anything if said sure any car for 500 so i had a look around there was mainly old holdens me every type but scattered throughout the place where a few old falcons xts, xbs and some fairlanes but the one that stuck out was a xl deluxe it was metallic blue with a white roof all it needed was a windscreen and i front seat the body had no rust and the engine and engine bay was mint just a lil dusty. I didn't get to take any pics unfortunately so now i just need to find the time to go on a 8 hour drive and bring it home
Old 20-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #191
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

About 14yrs ago i was working for my brother who had a Jims mowing round in the Campbelltown area of NSW. he managed to get a government contract to look after gardens for elderly people, one of which was near Picton.
Me and my two offsiders rocked up to this old run down farmhouse one day and were greeted by an old lady who must have been nudging 90.
The block we had to tidy up was huge and well overgrown.

After what seemed like hours we worked our way down to an old double car shed. whilst mowing around it we noticed a couple of cars inside. Curiosity got the better of us and we went inside to have a look.
Inside we found a mint HJ Holden with 17,000k's on the clock and next to it an equally mint Chev of some sort, perhaps an impala, cant recall exactly, never been into Yank cars.
Anyway, we poked round for a while, opened the bonnet of the chev to find a dusty, but immaculate V8 under there.
All of a sudden the shed door swings open and this old duck is standing there with shot gun in hand
She asks uswhat the hell we were doing in the shed and without much thought i replied that we had seen a snake go in there and were trying to kill it.
A wry smile came over her face and she gave a reply i'll never forget...'Funny, you boys dont look like the type to be chasing snakes'

Well what could we say, she had us cold, not that we were doing any damage or anything, but boys will be boys.
She invited us back upto the house for a cold drink and proceeded to tell us the story.
The cars were owned by her late husband. He had died in the mid 70's and the cars had sat there ever since, some 20yrs.
The sons of the neighbouring farmer had oftened offered to take them out and wash them for her when they were younger, but she always declined as they were sentimentle and off limits to anyone.
After she told the story i appologised as i then understood why she brought the shotty down with her.
she accepted the appology and asked that we keep the find to ourselves.

I dare say the poor old dear has left us now so im sure she wouldnt mind me sharing the story with you.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 06:29 PM   #192
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

A shotgun!, that's crazy, but I suppose it is understandable why she didn't want them found and why they just sat there
Old 20-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #193
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Lol, yeah was a shock to see this 4ft nothing woman standing in the doorway.

I doubt it was loaded though, just there to scare us...mind you, after hearing her story and getting the feeling she was a hard old bird who wasn't afraid to live alone in the sticks, im damn glad we didnt push the subject and find out
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #194
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's Gran Torino-esq
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #195
Flogginit

I found this place between Perth and Kalgoorlie. I wont divulge the details but the one thing i managed to arrange was my mates bought the VH charger shell off the guy for $700.
Funny story the guy is a bit of a hillbilly and the guys loaded the car on the trailer then they sat down and had beers with the guy. He started to get a bit ****ed and started saying $700 bucks was too cheap and he should probably take it off the trailer he even talked about getting his guns out for a yippee shoot. That'
s when my mates decided it was time to hit the frog and toad.

He's another ones that recons hes gonna do all the cars up one day.

Flogginit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 11:06 PM   #196
b2tf
not here much anymore

No barn finds for me as such, well none that I can keep anyway, however my job lets me find some pretty amazing things in people's garages:

Just today - genuine MINT 1968 Mustang GT
few weeks back - 6x BRAND NEW XE falcon sedans ordered by Dept of Defence and never used, sitting in a warehouse on a base collecting dust

E49 charger a few months back
I have a client who has a genuine XU1 and also a brand new never driven VT SS (first of the LS1's)

Still waiting to do the job for the old granny who has an XA coupe in the back shed, or a HK GTS Monaro........
Old 20-01-2011, 11:11 PM   #197
Flogginit

More

Old 20-01-2011, 11:17 PM   #198
Flogginit

Also for those WA guys interested these are still located at the Wongan Hills Wreckers.

Old 20-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #199
Tickford Rebel
Youngling

OMG thats a total resto's goldmine ... Only downside is you can probably hear the cars rusting by now!!
Oh and Laser '81, fantastic find! hope you end up with it. But I must warn you, that spider ain't dead... He's only out grown his exoskeleton and shed it near the bonnet lever... He's still in that sweet TC Cortina, but now he's BIGGER!
Old 20-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #200
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
No barn finds for me as such, well none that I can keep anyway, however my job lets me find some pretty amazing things in people's garages:

Just today - genuine MINT 1968 Mustang GT
few weeks back - 6x BRAND NEW XE falcon sedans ordered by Dept of Defence and never used, sitting in a warehouse on a base collecting dust

E49 charger a few months back
I have a client who has a genuine XU1 and also a brand new never driven VT SS (first of the LS1's)

Still waiting to do the job for the old granny who has an XA coupe in the back shed, or a HK GTS Monaro........
I'd love to know which base these XE's are on!

Ive been to nearly every Defence establishment in Australia and come across some sweet finds but never brand new unused fleet cars!
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #201
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf

Now this is something that I am VERY intersted in...

If you can share any more info on this B2TF - please PM me...
Old 23-01-2011, 02:08 AM   #202
stang777

Just a few hours ago i spotted what appeared to be a charger of some sort down the road from where i work it is under a half torn tarp or cover with a big hunk of wood holding it on ill see about having a look bye maybe a pic or 2
Old 04-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #203
stang777

I delivery guy told me about a original torana Gtx xu1 or what ever the letters are i don't much care for them but he said he spotted it sitting at a property in a really small county town down the road from me when he was dropping somethin off
Old 04-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #204
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was at a property clearance auction last weekend, lots of rusty Vals and XBs/XCs, but the star of the show was an original '72 Charger, lime green, with a genuine 26,000 kms on the clock! The thing was literally like brand new. White leather interior, t-bar auto...mmmm
Old 04-02-2011, 11:30 PM   #205
te250

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang777
is it visible from the hwy?
it was, but the grass in front of the shed has got too high so you cant see it no more
te250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #206
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
I was at a property clearance auction last weekend, lots of rusty Vals and XBs/XCs, but the star of the show was an original '72 Charger, lime green, with a genuine 26,000 kms on the clock! The thing was literally like brand new. White leather interior, t-bar auto...mmmm

What did it sell for?

PS: it was vinyl interior not leather!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #207
te250

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GT
I was thinking about the old guy near Gatton & how he went with the floods recently - hopefully all ok. He is the 1'st & only owner of an red XA GT Coupe. He got married in it & it was used as the famlies only transport for many years. The car is now retired to the shed where it has been for 15 or more years. I've asked he a couple of times about purchasing it - he knows its worth. He was saying that he would like to fix it up & start driving again. One of his mates up around the corner has a Phase 3 sitting in a shed also, he purchased either new or near new.
that sounds like the car im on about. yeah it would have been right the floods didnt reach where the car is
te250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #208
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What did it sell for?

PS: it was vinyl interior not leather!
That was the odd part, a lot of people turned up to see this Charger but only a couple of people bid on it, it sold for $20,500.

Edit:

The Charger in question. That's my old man opening the door.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #209
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
That was the odd part, a lot of people turned up to see this Charger but only a couple of people bid on it, it sold for $20,500.

If paint and panel was rust free that is cheap for a time warp car...especially a Charger
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2011, 11:53 PM   #210
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If paint and panel was rust free that is cheap for a time warp car...especially a Charger
See above ^^
There's a small dint in that rear quarter but other than that 100% clean and original. If I had the money I would have snapped that up in no time. I probably could have bought the pair of rusty Vals and made a decent car out of the two as well, but there's just no space.