Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 24-11-2008, 11:44 PM   #1
jordancoe

Default p plate rules for mods

hi im looking at getting a 91-92 EB falcon and am on my red Ps i want to put a sports exhaust and a pod filter on it. these are the only real mods i wont to do to it other that cosmetic does anybody no if these things are legal for sumbody on the p plates

jordancoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 11:47 PM   #2
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

You should be right. Although, pod filters that aren't in a housing aren't exactly legal.Id say just fit a panel type K&N filter.

As long as the EB isn't a V8 i think you should be pretty safe. It's then the insurance companies you have to worry bout.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

What state are you in? I'm pretty sure they change from state to state
Old 24-11-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Victoria you arent allowed to have any mods at all to engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 11:57 PM   #5
jordancoe

im in N.S.w
Old 25-11-2008, 01:28 AM   #6
Thom

you can get away with extractors and a performance exhaust as you are improving efficiency and making your car "greener"
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 02:10 AM   #7
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

im quite sure in nsw you should have no dramas with those mods, but like wat BSSXR8 mentioned, if your going for a pod filter make sure its covered. However i have seen loads of cars with pod filters that arent housed and none of them have had any problems. But being a P plater, the cops pull you over for no reason and try to screw you into the ground. It also depends on wat kinda ride you got. Your going to be pulled over more frequently if your car is a pulsar with a cannon, lowered, chrome rims etc as oppossd to someone driving a camry. In NSW, the cops will try their best to defect you, so if your going to get an sports exhaust make sure it aint one of those cannon mufflers that are really loud. Had a mate who got done for that in his pulsar...not to mention he also got defectd coz his ride was too low :P...
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 07:00 AM   #8
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

whats the go with pod filters please explain

I dont personaly like them but why must they be housed

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 09:32 AM   #9
prydey
Rob

9 out of 10 times a pod filter is a waste of time and money. a decent panel filter has the same or bigger surface area and will flow as good if not better as well.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 09:33 AM   #10
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom
you can get away with extractors and a performance exhaust as you are improving efficiency and making your car "greener"
Not under new laws, they're considered a performance modification.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #11
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
whats the go with pod filters please explain

I dont personaly like them but why must they be housed
i read somewhere that an "oiled" pod filter MUST be housed, however a Pod filter that does not require oiling is legal to be open to the engine bay. This may have been a victorian rule but apparently it changes emissions and thats why it would be illegal.

I have no idea why or how though, apparently a more efficient free-er flowing engine is worse then standard?
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
i read somewhere that an "oiled" pod filter MUST be housed, however a Pod filter that does not require oiling is legal to be open to the engine bay. This may have been a victorian rule but apparently it changes emissions and thats why it would be illegal.

I have no idea why or how though, apparently a more efficient free-er flowing engine is worse then standard?
An open filter is more of a fire risk too in the event of a backfire etc, especially an oiled one....

Old 25-11-2008, 10:16 AM   #13
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh ok thats understandable - i'd never have a pod open to the engine bay though.. only sucking in hot air - kinda pointless..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 11:13 AM   #14
MrXr6Tickford
AU Club Mod

I've got a Pod in my airbox, gotta love the suction noise they make!

Click Here
MrXr6Tickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 07:31 PM   #15
J_Tank
Bring on the Boss

In NSW P platers are not allowed to drive modified cars period. Technically NOTHING is allowed to be modified from standard. That P plate is an invitation to be pulled over as well. When I had my P Plates I got pulled over more times in that one year than I have since and that was 10 years ago driving a 10 yr old Honda accord. As a P plater you will get pulled over and then your really in the hands of the officer concerned...
J_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 11:58 PM   #16
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

well i reckon if you drive a falcon and on your Ps, you really dont need to mod up ur ride. the falcon has one of the biggest engines for a six and here (NSW) p platers are only allowed to drive cars with anything with 6 or less cyl. and is a non turbo....
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 12:19 AM   #17
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

In Vic, As long as it don't use any more than 155 litres of water a day, Brumby is happy
Old 30-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #18
jordancoe

hi thanx for the info guys i should be getting the car in a few days and if anybody has any other sugestions on wat mods i should do to it that wont get me in trouble with the cop would be greatly appreciated
Old 30-11-2008, 10:14 PM   #19
Pete from Port
OLD BASTARD

If you are getting an automatic it wants to be a 4.0l EB2 or later. The 4sp slush was much improved at this time. If the thing has done around 200k or more expect to have to change the S5 solenoid in the box( $500) as soon as it starts to bang shift into second on the upshift and shudderlslip on the downshift (street corners).Standard Falcs go plenty hard enough unmodified and you really do want to keep it quiet. Don't buy cars off revheads, don't thrash old cars..they break. If you must play put a set of decent shocks on it, esp the back ,and nolathane sway bar bushes. Lower the rear 1" to level the thing and get a bit of pos castor in the steering and don't skimp on brake linings or tyres. Good quality STANDARD stuff is the intelligent way to survive red Ps.
Pete from Port is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 11:17 PM   #20
jordancoe

ok cool; but the1 im getting is a 1991 3.9l eb auto
Old 30-11-2008, 11:43 PM   #21
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

jordancoe, welcome to our club area.

As a club we do not condone illegal modifications and as such I have amended some posts.

In NSW P platers are not allowed any modifications to their vehicles that are considered an improvement to performance. Not much fun but the law none the less.

Being a driver of these vehicles & also being a parent to red P platers (and green too) I do know that any of our model specific vehicles are capable of speeds and experiences way beyond what is allowed legally.

Keep her stock until such times as you are legally allowed to have some fun with her ;)

Maybe as a start do some cosmetic changes to keep you from being bored.
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 02:43 AM   #22
95falcon
B E-S

As stated - NO mods to engine can be done - includes exhaust, extractors, intake, pod, cam etc.

Mods you can do are - rims, suspension, diff, bodykit etc.

If you drop some 4.11s in, that car will move a lot quicker than stock, and its legal.

On the other hand, I have extractors, exhaust with 1 muffler, intake, pod, cam, and I fall under the same restrictions as you.
I suggest you dont waste your money, save it and buy a turbo kit, if you're that way inclined. I wish I didnt waste money on my stereo and other now that I'm almost off my Ps.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #23
jordancoe

hi guys i got the car 93 eb falcon, manual. iv already wacked a pod on it has any body got any sujestion on wat mods i should do to her that wont get me in trouble with the cops. im thinking about getting a 2.5 inch lukey sports exhaust with extractors and some lowerd king springs.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #24
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

congrats on the buy...... but my advice is.... learn to drive the car properly and get used to it before you go modifying and getting yourself hasselled by the cops

a manual 6cyl EB certainly fast enough for any P plate driver IMO so just take it easy out there bud...

any pics of the ride?

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #25
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordancoe
hi guys i got the car 93 eb falcon, manual..
Congrats on the purchase - pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordancoe
im thinking about getting a 2.5 inch lukey sports exhaust with extractors and some lowerd king springs.
Agree with you there, they are good starting mods

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #26
Alby1
you'd be popular too

put that pod in a box, it ain't hard or expensive, prob fit in old air box. the amount of times i used to get pulled over for a random breath test than they want you to pop the bonnet.
Also welcome to the world of cars, i hope you dont like saving money

Al
Alby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 12:53 AM   #27
95falcon
B E-S

Pod's a waste of money, keep saving until you can afford to put a full exhaust on in one go, but first I would lower it on supers.