Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
Dazedconfused
Starter Motor

Default Focus S performance options?

Hi gurus,

I am in the deliberation stage of grabbing a new Focus, and as much as one part of my brain really wants an ST, the practical side of me reminds me, I won't use it to it's capacity, so I'm now contemplating a manual 2013 S.

While I found the ride a tad hard in the ST for how I'd typically drive the car, I didn't mind the S. Sadly I also found the seats a bit too wrapping.

I guess my biggest question is what options do I have to improve the performance of the 2.0l NA engine in the S?

Are there tune options for that engine? Someone suggested a new filter set up, so any advice there would be greatly appreciated. Lastly I suppose there are exhaust options?

125kw in a car that size/weight, even with the manual gearbox is a little on the underpowered side as far as I'm concerned. I like the Focus for it's style and tech, and truthfully I'm having a hard time finding the compromise. If I can make a few tweaks, get the car at the right price, and get the response/performance up a bit, I think I'll be happy with that.

Any thoughts/advice on my options would be very much appreciated.

Thanks guys,
D

Dazedconfused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Focus S performance options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazedconfused View Post
I guess my biggest question is what options do I have to improve the performance of the 2.0l NA engine in the S?=
Buy the ST, don't even bother attempting this.

NA sucks even with mods.

Otherwise, cold air intake and full exhaust and a tune the standard modifications.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would have thought 125kW for a NA 2 litre was about par with the competition for a sub 30K price. I am with Damo, if you can stretch the budget for an ST I would go for it. So many more extras and if you left it stock you'd still be happy. Can't really help with mod choices but there are the norms, although I wouldn't expect to see too much lift for the dollars.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could try the Fiesta ST for around the same price. A little bit smaller, but not a drama unless you or your family are large.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm a fat bastard and I fit into my WS Fiesta quite well, its actually more roomier and comfortable for the driver than my EL Fairmont Ghia, as you have more leg room and the steering wheel adjusts in/out/up/down.

So fat bastards rejoice you can fit in small FWD cars easily.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sort of surprised that the word "bastard" is not subjected to the usual "asterix" treatment.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
Dazedconfused
Starter Motor

Thanks guys.

Power to weight of the S is reasonable for how I'd use the car. I reckon my hooning days are behind me, but I do like the Focus' style and tech. So I tend to think the $15k savings from the ST to the S is a smarter option. If only I could afford both for the odd thrash through the Adelaide Hills in the ST. : /
Dazedconfused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Thanks guys.

Power to weight of the S is reasonable for how I'd use the car. I reckon my hooning days are behind me, but I do like the Focus' style and tech. So I tend to think the $15k savings from the ST to the S is a smarter option. If only I could afford both for the odd thrash through the Adelaide Hills in the ST. : /
Buy Fiesta ST instead
Old 08-08-2013, 12:53 AM   #9
mrmavx
Molten Orange Maniac

Quote:
Thanks guys.

As other have said have a look at the soon to be released fiesta st(i have and have allready started twisting my dealers arm and intend to trade my focus titanium on it) it has same sony sound system but without satnav more performance from the turbo 1.6, recaro seats like and suprisingly 11mm more front leg room and only 18mm less rear leg room and is about 30mm narrower according to specs, its main drawback for some people is having only 3 doors, another option is to get the diesel focus s it has more performance in the real world over the petrol with all its torque it also has the much better wet clutch version of the powershift auto

mrmavx
mrmavx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
Executer

get a tdci. much better than the petrol models
Old 09-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you'll for ever be wondering what you've missed out on buy purchasing the S. Maybe take a step back into the Fiesta ST or as someone else mentioned, ride the torque curve of the TDCi.
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Then chuck a 3" turbo back exhaust on it, cold air intake and one of those tunes and make first gear a useless front right wheel spinning show