Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-11-2015, 09:27 AM   #2161
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 
Default Re: New to cycling

Did my toughest ride of the year yesterday evening. My place to Jamieson return. 129km and 5088 metres. There are some pics and stuff on strava for those that are interested to look. It's too hard to post images on this forum generally if you've been on here for a while and thus have some image history on here.
7 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #2162
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

5k elevation over just 129klm....stout effort!
I hate hills.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2015, 12:39 PM   #2163
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
I hate hills.
+1.

Trev - you are a machine

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-11-2015, 12:42 PM   #2164
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Did my toughest ride of the year yesterday evening. My place to Jamieson return. 129km and 5088 metres. There are some pics and stuff on strava for those that are interested to look. It's too hard to post images on this forum generally if you've been on here for a while and thus have some image history on here.
Well done Trev, how have you pulled up today ? how did the bike go , any punctures ?
i would have done those sorts of rides as a young bloke, i dont think i d be game to try it now.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2015, 01:19 PM   #2165
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Gotta learn to love the hills.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2015, 01:35 PM   #2166
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Well done Trev, how have you pulled up today ? how did the bike go , any punctures ?
i would have done those sorts of rides as a young bloke, i dont think i d be game to try it now.
No punctures. Roads were covered in branches, leaf and stick litter from huge mid-week storms too so that was a good run with no flats.

bike was good, it is the more relaxed ergo/endurance model Giant, the Defy, rather than one of the more hard core bikes, so it lends itself well to big rides.

Pulled up okay today. A bit sore understandably, that's pushing up a lot of hills when I am no flyweight, around 95kg, so that requires a lot of leg to push up those climbs. My good knee tweaked up a little sore, which was strange, but my bad knee didn't complain too much, go figure lol
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2015, 02:26 PM   #2167
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
+1.

Trev - you are a nutter
Fixed
Old 28-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #2168
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
I hate hills.
Me too, especially 5k high ones!
Old 28-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #2169
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes those hills hurt, i went for my daily bike ride, this arbo , i try an always do 15 k`s if possible at my own leisurely pace as the GP prescribed, today i followed the western ring road bike path to jacana station from reservoir about 7 or 8 k`s away which i did yesterday , i had no idea where the path continued on from jacana station ,

so today i thought i would ride around jacana a bit within a few blocks , but without going out of my comfort zone, i might add there is some not bad hills around this area,
I got a couple of blocks away and saw cycle dude a couple of hundred yards ahead heading down what looked to be a long court with a very steep down hill and sharp bend he must be going to the track, ............. instantly i thought to myself ....... im more than likely going to have to come back up that bastard at some stage, anyway , he went down it , so i went down it only to find him heading back up from the end of the fenced off street with no where to go :(.

start playing the benny hill music , i got about a third the way up the hill wobbling all over the place in deep reduction (lowest gear) , all to no avail ,
i locked the brakes on an walked the bike up with tail between legs, i got to the top and was wheezing like like a silly old bugger, (note to self .....study map next time).
any way i got back on the easier track and did 21.5 k`s all together back to home.
every day it seems a little easier to do a bit more distance, the hills still bugger me though.
3 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2015, 06:45 PM   #2170
roKWiz
Cabover nut

mik,
Its a bummer when you decide to do a recky and find that nice small downhill turns into a monster uphill coming home. Its usual par for the course cycling, eh.
mcnews,
Good onya, don't think I'm interested enough to do the 100 + kms ride anymore, heck I've even turfed the computers off the bikes. !

What is this strava everyone talks about these days.?

Old 28-11-2015, 08:27 PM   #2171
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: New to cycling

No one remembers the lame rides - flat and uninteresting .You may not like hills , but in time you will , and once you embrace them as part of your journey , those rides will stay with you forever. Whether you get over a freeway crossover or Mt Hotham ,whether it's taken you 1 min or 2 hrs , your PB over any climb will always be something you will look back with a smile as you give it the bird knowing you had master it and you choose to hit it head on .
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2015, 10:05 PM   #2172
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post
No one remembers the lame rides - flat and uninteresting .You may not like hills , but in time you will , and once you embrace them as part of your journey , those rides will stay with you forever. Whether you get over a freeway crossover or Mt Hotham ,whether it's taken you 1 min or 2 hrs , your PB over any climb will always be something you will look back with a smile as you give it the bird knowing you had master it and you choose to hit it head on .
very true mate , hills are a part of it , although sometimes a bit more painful part in later years, and what goes up must come down !

i remember as a young whipper snapper i went camping with a couple mates around stoney creek/kinglake area for the weekend, took the bikes tents chairs the kitchen sink , got a lift there on the back of the mates dads tray truck.
after a night we needed supplies , so the next day we had to bike it to the general store, if memory serves 5 k ish away .....give or take, had to climb a pretty decent hill , i cant remember the elevation (this was the 70`s )but it was pretty good, coming back down the hill we where passing cars, (bloody flying) i could not catch the pedals and the bike was vibrating so hard i thought it was going to fly to pieces , its a good thing the brakes did not fail. certainly a bit of fun, not something id do these days , i have too much respect for pain if it goes pear shaped .
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #2173
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Gotta learn to love the hills.
I prefer long straights and challenging myself to maintain a high average speed or high cadence etc etc....
Hills are only good for the downhill on the other side....lol.
Each to their own I guess. In saying that, I always seem to go looking for routes with some hills anyways.....go figure..

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 03:16 PM   #2174
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

indeed Bluey, small hills going up with long down hills going down are excellent .

actually the other day when we had those strong winds in melbourne , i went for my daily exercise and i purposely went about 8 or 10 k`s mostly slow climb and against the wind, bloody near killed me !
i was in low cog mostly the whole time , i reached the main highway at the end of the bike path , had a nasty cross wind for a k`s or 2 ......weird riding like your going around corners in a straight line , then chucked a righty(south bound ) came back via nice wide road with bike lane mostly down hill with a good tail wind , Whoa ... it was fast trip back , but a good ride .
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2015, 03:27 PM   #2175
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

something i was going to mention , i weighed my mountain bike with all my crap on it , and it comes in at approximately 13 kgs , i say approximately because mu scales are probably near as old as me, nevertheless , im just wondering how it fares compared to other bikes .
Old 29-11-2015, 03:56 PM   #2176
prydey
Rob

Quote:
something i was going to mention , i weighed my mountain bike with all my crap on it , and it comes in at approximately 13 kgs , i say approximately because mu scales are probably near as old as me, nevertheless , im just wondering how it fares compared to other bikes .
i never get too hung up on weight. my road bike is up over 10kg (aluminium not carbon) with bottles and lights etc. when i consider my own weight the total weight (rider and bike) is over 100kg, so a kg here or there is hardly going to make any difference to my riding.

thats not to say the bike can't or doesn't make a difference, just that i don't get hung up on counting kg's.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #2177
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I wouldn't be bothered by the weight.
My Super V's weigh in at 10kg but they're 90's MTB technology. These day they're so much lighter. Here's my old secret to road training......I did all of it on MTB's with slicks or knobby's simply because when I climbed aboard the roadie I absolutely flew.
Occasional did the Aust Time trial ***. 25km TT at Calga NSW then and recorded a PB of 34mins 19sec. on the red Super V in the pics earlier posted on 23mm slicks.

Here a little story on the bike back then in Aust Cyclist

5 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2015, 06:52 PM   #2178
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went for my daily exercise today, gradually been trying to increase my distance bit by bit every day , I made up my mind I'd do 15 k's as my minimum, I've been doing a little better on most days, except for the odd I'm feeling stuffed days, but , cracked it for 24.57 k's today, if I can find a route I can do 25 a day consistently, I'll be a happy little Vegemite.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:12 PM   #2179
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
I'm interested. Post away. I have a real soft spot for Dales as my first real mtb was an old Jekyll with a lefty max. What a great bike. I currently have a SuperSix roadie.
Good onya mik, build your distance.

These are the other Super V's in the fleet I almost forgot to post.

below is a rare 1996 V900 carbon running a mix of MTB and road groupset in Speed Yellow.
Enjoy the pics.

below "Pearly" a pearl white 1998 V900 Active I've just restored.

Reassembling after strip down

Stripping original swingarm paint before polishing

below 1992 M400 "Beast of the East" this is the original Cannondale I started with. Was a real beast off road as it is a large frame but feels even bigger due to the 13in bottom bracket ground clearance. Started out a daggy mauve drivetrain is Suntour XC pro "accushift" anyone remember those ???

4 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2015, 04:36 PM   #2180
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Went out on Saturday morning after 2 weeks off the bike, had a late night before hand but was keen to go. About 45 minutes in i heard the sound of a rim hitting a solid object, kept riding for a little then felt the rear go soft, sure enough pinch flat so i rode till it was almost flat then had to walk back to my car. Go to replace tube today, **** pinch flatted that one aswell by mistake, anyway its going for a service on Wednesday. But upon closer inspection i have a reasonable dent in the rear rim still usable though.
Got an event im considering entering on Sunday called the gravity enduro still undecided at the moment.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2015, 05:03 PM   #2181
roKWiz
Cabover nut

That's a bummer when that happens early in a ride.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:50 PM   #2182
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

I have a hankering for some, mid school BMX. Too fat to ride it though!
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2015, 09:17 PM   #2183
Danny
GT4.

Okay, I'll bite!

Just picked up my first Roadie to go with my MTB Hybrid. Been trying to get out as much as I can. Had it since friday and done nearly 130km so far. Been getting into biking to mix it up with running (I've been a runner for nearly 4 years now).

It's a 2014 Giant TCR Advanced Ultegra Di2 TDF Edition. Comes in a limited colour (Gulf Blue and Orange) which made me happy because it exactly matches my Giant Roam XR-0 Hybrid - Which I basically chose because of how much I loved the colour (amonst other things!)

Pics

And alongside my Roam Hybrid MTB

Wanted to get out tonight but its wet in Melb, and I'm a bit concerned that my skills will run out in the wet with a bike on which I am not familiar. Still getting used to the jitteriness, the sharpness of the handling, the touchiness and the entire feel of it. It's so different to any bike I have ever had before it, and I absolutely love it.

Riding on the road will take some getting used to though. It is genuinely scary at times, I have never ever felt so in tuned with every single facet of what I am doing until I got on this thing downhill on a 80km/h main road. It really is a matter of life and death. Exhilarating though. Can't wait to get back out there and set some goals!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2015, 10:34 PM   #2184
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I live for 80kph down hill runs.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
8 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2015, 03:07 AM   #2185
prydey
Rob

Quote:
There's a couple of good ones around our area hey shav. I've edged over 90 down pennys hill rd.

At those speeds it's kind of pointless thinking about ' what if....' . I won't fly down any road I'm not familiar with, or if it has other roads entering etc.

The views and the down hills make climbing worth it though.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2015, 07:41 AM   #2186
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Okay, I'll bite!

Just picked up my first Roadie to go with my MTB Hybrid. Been trying to get out as much as I can. Had it since friday and done nearly 130km so far. Been getting into biking to mix it up with running (I've been a runner for nearly 4 years now).

It's a 2014 Giant TCR Advanced Ultegra Di2 TDF Edition. Comes in a limited colour (Gulf Blue and Orange) which made me happy because it exactly matches my Giant Roam XR-0 Hybrid - Which I basically chose because of how much I loved the colour (amonst other things!)

Pics

And alongside my Roam Hybrid MTB

Wanted to get out tonight but its wet in Melb, and I'm a bit concerned that my skills will run out in the wet with a bike on which I am not familiar. Still getting used to the jitteriness, the sharpness of the handling, the touchiness and the entire feel of it. It's so different to any bike I have ever had before it, and I absolutely love it.

Riding on the road will take some getting used to though. It is genuinely scary at times, I have never ever felt so in tuned with every single facet of what I am doing until I got on this thing downhill on a 80km/h main road. It really is a matter of life and death. Exhilarating though. Can't wait to get back out there and set some goals!
Love the colour, I'm Jealous..I tried to pick one of those up earlier this year but there were only 3 of my size in Australia. All interstate and the shops wouldn't ship them.
Ended up with a 2015 TCR Advanced pro 1 and I then upgraded it to Di2.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2015, 12:09 PM   #2187
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice bikes Danny , the TCR one has a nice strong looking frame construction .
Old 08-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #2188
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
There's a couple of good ones around our area hey shav. I've edged over 90 down pennys hill rd.

At those speeds it's kind of pointless thinking about ' what if....' . I won't fly down any road I'm not familiar with, or if it has other roads entering etc.

The views and the down hills make climbing worth it though.
Yep, it is the ONLY reason I climb hills. haha

Going down Education Road is a fun one. Im always trying to beat my own PR down there.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 08-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #2189
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Great looking bike mate.
That colour is a bit painful to my partner though, as some low life in our area stole a 2008 Giant OCR recently while we were away.

If anyone see's one of these in NE Victoria PM me as there wasn't to many in this colour scheme back then. I suspect it may of found it way to Albury.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #2190
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
There's a couple of little hills just up the road from me.......Bucklands Gap, Taylors Gap, Towonga Gap, MT buffalo.. I won't go on.