Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-11-2015, 10:52 AM   #2101
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: New to cycling

That's pimp Dave. Sexual chocolate indeed

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #2102
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Mik, I hate the valves with a passion, I got a floor pump that actually screws onto the valves rather than has a thumb lock or the like, that way it's 100% reliable and pretty much frustration free. I would have set fire to my bikes by now without it :-) I splashed out and got a Lezyne one, same with the pump I carry on the bike I got one that screws onto the valve rather than presses, same with my gas cartridge adaptor I got one that screws onto the valves rather than presses... Yes, I really hate bicycle valves :-)

But Mik you do know you have to loosen the little thing on the top of the valve a few turns in order to get a pump on to them? As in unscrew the top of the valve before put pump on, then when pumped up, screw the little knurled thing on the top of the valve back shut again.

Last edited by mcnews; 15-11-2015 at 03:22 PM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-11-2015, 03:04 PM   #2103
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys

Mik, it is indeed Carbon Fibre frame / fork.

The seat is actually very comfy, though it is a lot higher than I'm used to, due to me being on a slightly too large bike before hand.

I'm really excited to take it out for a shake down, but I'm being precious about the rain atm, so haven't had a chance to take her out yet.
Old 15-11-2015, 03:08 PM   #2104
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBourne View Post
The seat is actually very comfy, though it is a lot higher than I'm used to, due to me being on a slightly too large bike before hand.
i assume the shop fitted you up?

you may find it takes a few weeks for your muscles to readjust to the new seat position.

last time i had a bike fit, i had the seat raised by about 10mm, and even that was noticeable.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2015, 03:18 PM   #2105
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I paid the big bucks for a computerised fit up with the sensors on my body joints etc. and the bike.

My right ankle is fused, as in no movement at all, so I knew my right leg would be shorter as I'm missing that joint (they ground both faces away and then screwed it together, you can't even see where the ankle once was on an x-ray these days, it's been fused for 20 years), but he measured everything up and my right leg is a whole 17mm shorter than my right, so my cleats are spaced out a fair bit on my right cycling shoes to try and make up for that. I got the proper fit done as I have enough injuries (Have had a disc out of back too, another disc shot, no PCL in left knee and left medials shot too, auxillary nerve dead as well plus probably more stuff that I have forgot) to contend with so got it done so as for cycling not to cause more injuries than I already have etc. Cost about $400 though.

Quite scientifically done though, and considering how hilly everything is around my place I think smart money spent, I did 2500 metres of climb in 88km on Friday evening, and that's not driving anywhere, that's just riding out of my gate and back. I'm not built for climbing either, as I am a pretty big boy.

Last edited by mcnews; 15-11-2015 at 03:33 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #2106
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They did do a fit Rob, but nothing overly scientific, though he did take a few measurements etc, but honestly I just made sure i didn't lock my knee out, and felt comfortable.

You are right, he said that my quads will feel it for a while, due to the new seating position, but that's fine by me.

Now just need good weather next weekend to take her out (and for me to stop being a princess.. think we're more likely for good weather haha)
Old 15-11-2015, 05:09 PM   #2107
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I got a dynamic (computerised) fit a couple of weeks ago... I was getting sore knees after long rides, and aching between the shoulder blades.

It was interesting, they have video cameras to the side and in front of the bike on a trainer, and could draw lines on the computer screen to measure distances and angles. They got my cleats positioned properly to suit my pigeon toed stance, got the seat height right so my legs straightened to the correct angle, and got the reach to the handle bars right.

I've done one long ride since then, and didn't feel it in my knees afterwards. It was cheaper than going to the physio to be told I need a bike fit!

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2015, 05:16 PM   #2108
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome! Always nice when changes actually work for the better
Old 15-11-2015, 06:01 PM   #2109
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
I paid the big bucks for a computerised fit up with the sensors on my body joints etc. and the bike.

My right ankle is fused, as in no movement at all, so I knew my right leg would be shorter as I'm missing that joint (they ground both faces away and then screwed it together, you can't even see where the ankle once was on an x-ray these days, it's been fused for 20 years), but he measured everything up and my right leg is a whole 17mm shorter than my right, so my cleats are spaced out a fair bit on my right cycling shoes to try and make up for that. I got the proper fit done as I have enough injuries (Have had a disc out of back too, another disc shot, no PCL in left knee and left medials shot too, auxillary nerve dead as well plus probably more stuff that I have forgot) to contend with so got it done so as for cycling not to cause more injuries than I already have etc. Cost about $400 though.

Quite scientifically done though, and considering how hilly everything is around my place I think smart money spent, I did 2500 metres of climb in 88km on Friday evening, and that's not driving anywhere, that's just riding out of my gate and back. I'm not built for climbing either, as I am a pretty big boy.
Bike fits are well worth it when done right. Who did you see Trev?
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2015, 09:00 PM   #2110
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mik, I hate the valves with a passion, I got a floor pump that actually screws onto the valves rather than has a thumb lock or the like, that way it's 100% reliable and pretty much frustration free. I would have set fire to my bikes by now without it :-) I splashed out and got a Lezyne one, same with the pump I carry on the bike I got one that screws onto the valve rather than presses, same with my gas cartridge adaptor I got one that screws onto the valves rather than presses... Yes, I really hate bicycle valves :-)

But Mik you do know you have to loosen the little thing on the top of the valve a few turns in order to get a pump on to them? As in unscrew the top of the valve before put pump on, then when pumped up, screw the little knurled thing on the top of the valve back shut again.
Hmmmm the screw on fitting sounds like the go , I'll keep an eye out for one, I must confess I'm not fond of the bike valves either, I did eventually work out you had to unscrew that little knurled screw ,
but thanks for the heads up Trev.
I'm a bit confused why they would change the valves from a nice easy system to a fiddly pain in the rectum, but that's progress I suppose.

If the valve buggers up can you change it, or is it new tube time. ???
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2015, 10:20 PM   #2111
mcnews
Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot View Post
Bike fits are well worth it when done right. Who did you see Trev?
Andrew at Body Care Solutions. It was very professional and in depth, but I have never had a proper one done before so have nothing to compare it to. Idf you get a second bike done at the same time it is about $100 extra, and if you get another bike in the following six months it is $100 to take that one in and get done too. I needed so many spacers for my cleats due to my gimpness so mine was more expensive than others probably will be.
Old 15-11-2015, 10:23 PM   #2112
mcnews
Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
I'm a bit confused why they would change the valves from a nice easy system to a fiddly pain in the rectum, but that's progress I suppose.

If the valve buggers up can you change it, or is it new tube time. ???
I think the presta valves hold pressure better and are probably lighter.

If you root the valve proper then it would be new tube time I guess. But I always have at least one tube spare on any ride, often two if I know I am going far afield.

Recent ride with eight of us (all experience riders with good tyres, tubes and pressures) saw 15 flats, we ran out of tubes and resorted to patching, was crazy day. I did a ride the other month where I had five flats on a rail trail, ridiculous. Then on another day you get none. Just luck of the draw.

Last edited by mcnews; 15-11-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 15-11-2015, 10:28 PM   #2113
mcnews
Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
I got a dynamic (computerised) fit a couple of weeks ago... I was getting sore knees after long rides, and aching between the shoulder blades.

It was interesting, they have video cameras to the side and in front of the bike on a trainer, and could draw lines on the computer screen to measure distances and angles. They got my cleats positioned properly to suit my pigeon toed stance, got the seat height right so my legs straightened to the correct angle, and got the reach to the handle bars right.

I've done one long ride since then, and didn't feel it in my knees afterwards. It was cheaper than going to the physio to be told I need a bike fit!
Did they put sensors on you too? As in about five different points on each leg etc. for the computer to track and map etc. and draw out all the geometry? Mine did that, but not sure if that is normal.

Like I say I have no previous points of reference to draw from thus will not say x better than y, unless I had experience with both x and y :-)
Old 16-11-2015, 12:04 AM   #2114
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

There were no sensors, Trev. The guy doing the fit used it as a tool, and backed it up by using a spirit level and rule as well. The computer would record me while pedalling (from the front and from the side), and when it was played back he could pause it at any point, and mark lines on the screen, which the computer turned into angles or measurements.

I also got a list of measurements to take with me, in case I wanted to set up another bike the same way.

Here's the link to where I went ->
http://www.avantiplusnorthbrisbane.com.au/bike-fit

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2015, 10:28 AM   #2115
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

If you root the valve proper then it would be new tube time I guess. But I always have at least one tube spare on any ride, often two if I know I am going far afield.

Recent ride with eight of us (all experience riders with good tyres, tubes and pressures) saw 15 flats, we ran out of tubes and resorted to patching, was crazy day. I did a ride the other month where I had five flats on a rail trail, ridiculous. Then on another day you get none. Just luck of the draw.
Thats a lot of flats , ..... hmmm note to self must carry a spare tube, (thanks Trev), im getting a little further away every day , no doubt my lucky number will come up eventually.
Old 16-11-2015, 10:49 AM   #2116
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just wondering what sort of lights you guys have, i lashed out and bought the best one the shop had , it came with both front and rear lights , (Cygolite Metro) , both can be charged up by micro usb (the slightly fatter connection) , god dam bright little bastards , (progress is sometimes really good ),

the head light has multiple modes, half light with/without flash , full light with without flash and that annoying fast flash, rear one has similar modes, both just clip onto the mountings and unclip , the headlight had a good beam and lightly floods the side with a dimmer light, i stopped and took a pick last night .

Last edited by mik; 12-12-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 16-11-2015, 04:48 PM   #2117
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Front light
http://www.wiggle.com.au/cateye-volt...c-front-light/

Rear light
http://www.knog.com.au/blinder-road-r70.html

Both lights have been excellent for output and runtime.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2015, 07:46 PM   #2118
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

awesome lights Bluey, i think back to the bad old days of the generator/dynamo powered lights with an unreliable small torch globe, eek , how the hell did we get by with that crud : ).
Old 16-11-2015, 09:09 PM   #2119
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
awesome lights Bluey, i think back to the bad old days of the generator/dynamo powered lights with an unreliable small torch globe, eek , how the hell did we get by with that crud : ).
I got plenty of good advice and recommendations from this very forum. Lots of experienced and learned members here. Have you joined up AFF strava yet ?
Quite funny actually. I'm doing more Kay's on the bike than in the GT......

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2015, 11:09 PM   #2120
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
I got plenty of good advice and recommendations from this very forum. Lots of experienced and learned members here. Have you joined up AFF strava yet ?
Quite funny actually. I'm doing more Kay's on the bike than in the GT......
i have No doubt of very learned dudes from the AFF , and no i have not joined the strava thing Bluey, i probably wouldnt want to embarrass myself if you guys saw my maps and how slow i go .

actually i saw my gp today who is a fairly keen cyclist ,
he showed me the strava app , i downloaded it and gave it a go for about 8.6 k`s down the path , i did like the auto pause, and the doc showed me how it records the runs which seems better than the way it stores them all on my sammy app, but some features on the one im using i have gotten used too and really like.
i dont think i would swap the samsung one for it .
i like the way the sammy one calls out the mileage every half a k through my headphones and the neat way it fades the music down first then gives the announcement, then fades the music back in (really cool ) ,
it tells you your average speed, your k`s left to your target, your eta, etc.

I can believe you are doing more miles on the bike .....(cool low mileage GT )
, ive been pushing myself to go a bit further each day , i can see how they mount up..
2 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2015, 11:56 PM   #2121
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
i have No doubt of very learned dudes from the AFF , and no i have not joined the strava thing Bluey, i probably wouldnt want to embarrass myself if you guys saw my maps and how slow i go .

actually i saw my gp today who is a fairly keen cyclist ,

he showed me the strava app , i downloaded it and gave it a go for about 8.6 k`s down the path , i did like the auto pause, and the doc showed me how it records the runs which seems better than the way it stores them all on my sammy app, but some features on the one im using i have gotten used too and really like.

i dont think i would swap the samsung one for it .

i like the way the sammy one calls out the mileage every half a k through my headphones and the neat way it fades the music down first then gives the announcement, then fades the music back in (really cool ) ,

it tells you your average speed, your k`s left to your target, your eta, etc.

I can believe you are doing more miles on the bike .....(cool low mileage GT )

, ive been pushing myself to go a bit further each day , i can see how they mount up..

Keep it up. I started out unable to ride out of sight on a dark night. Now 100km isn't a problem. Just increase the distances slowly and let your body recover. Don't decide tomorrow that you want to ride 100km in the hills when you've only been doing 8. You'll do yourself an injury.
There's no easy answers for the seat. They all hurt. Some less than others. But my advice is don't think a larger saddle is more comfortable, it isn't. All the racing seats are small and guys ride all day on them.
Your bum also hardens up after 2 or 3 weeks and it doesn't hurt anymore.
Strava is fantastic for monitoring your improvements and logging all your rides. Get on it.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2015, 12:27 AM   #2122
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: New to cycling

The only I would add .. Yes , Strava and like software programs are great to monitor your own progress as well as your progress against others you know or have ridden with .
The only thing I would add , is in your infancy , take the time , to enjoy the journey . As you manage small achievements , increased k's , back to back rides , increased speed , increased cadence , and as you become fitter and less sore , capable of spending more and more time on the bike
Then , and only then, should you start your journey of comparing where you are against others .
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #2123
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Go tubeless my friend and all your woes will be gone. I got home from a ride the other day and pulled at least 30 big double gee prickles from my front tyre alone that all leaked air when I pulled them out, then I spun the front wheel a few times and no more leaks, I even reckon it only lost a half a PSI in total while sealing back up. Brilliant.

I carry a spare tube but that is just in case I rip a side wall.
Old 17-11-2015, 12:59 PM   #2124
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Front light
http://www.wiggle.com.au/cateye-volt...c-front-light/

Rear light
http://www.knog.com.au/blinder-road-r70.html

Both lights have been excellent for output and runtime.
I run the same front one, bloody brilliant light.

My rear uses a flat disc type battery CR2032 and lasts about 70 hours and that is insanely bright.
Old 17-11-2015, 01:04 PM   #2125
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
Go tubeless my friend and all your woes will be gone. I got home from a ride the other day and pulled at least 30 big double gee prickles from my front tyre alone that all leaked air when I pulled them out, then I spun the front wheel a few times and no more leaks, I even reckon it only lost a half a PSI in total while sealing back up. Brilliant.

I carry a spare tube but that is just in case I rip a side wall.
How does that work , if you go tubeless do you have to get rid of the spoked rims ?
i like the idea of tubeless and some goop in the tyre, i really detest doing road side repairs.
Old 17-11-2015, 01:09 PM   #2126
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Keep it up. I started out unable to ride out of sight on a dark night. Now 100km isn't a problem. Just increase the distances slowly and let your body recover. Don't decide tomorrow that you want to ride 100km in the hills when you've only been doing 8. You'll do yourself an injury.
There's no easy answers for the seat. They all hurt. Some less than others. But my advice is don't think a larger saddle is more comfortable, it isn't. All the racing seats are small and guys ride all day on them.
Your bum also hardens up after 2 or 3 weeks and it doesn't hurt anymore.
Strava is fantastic for monitoring your improvements and logging all your rides. Get on it.
For those that don't want to pay the exorbitant primo price for Strava then what I do is pay for Cyclemeter Elite which is just under $7 a year (Strava is just under $7 a month) which I prefer over the Strava app anyway, it just doesn't have a web interface.

Then cyclemeter automatically uploads to your free Strava account within a few minutes of pressing done when your ride is finished ready for you to view.
Old 17-11-2015, 01:16 PM   #2127
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How does that work , if you go tubeless do you have to get rid of the spoked rims ?
i like the idea of tubeless and some goop in the tyre, i really detest doing road side repairs.
Most spoked rims these days can accept Tubeless Ready tyres with the use of a special rim tape. It also uses a special goop like Stans No Tubes, about 200-250ml goes in each tyre. Tubeless Ready tyres are different from normal tyres as they aren't porous.

If you ride MTB or off the bitumen then they are a must.

Example:

http://www.pushys.com.au/maxxis-mini...exo-3c-tr.html
Old 17-11-2015, 01:35 PM   #2128
adz193
EL XR6

Made a purchase of my own finally after a month or so of deliberation... loving it at the moment! Spent a bit more then I originally planned for but oh well, was worth it. Excited to hit the road and get into it... how do I join the AFF group on strava?

Navy 97' EL XR8
Factory manual | Tickford kit | Pacemakers + Full exhaust

Last edited by adz193; 17-11-2015 at 01:47 PM.
adz193 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #2129
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

tubeless sounds like a good thing, mines a big mountain bike and im a big fella , im always a bit worried that despite having the tyres very hard i might pinch the tube as the tyres still bag up a bit with my weight .
Old 17-11-2015, 01:50 PM   #2130
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
tubeless sounds like a good thing, mines a big mountain bike and im a big fella , im always a bit worried that despite having the tyres very hard i might pinch the tube as the tyres still bag up a bit with my weight .
Yep, no more pinch flats either with tubeless, just keep the pressure above about 25 psi and you shouldn't encounter any problems.