Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Hell Cat

Default getting a pre job medical examination

So ive been trying hard to get into a mining job and finally had an interview today and it went well.

They want me to go for a medical examination this week before giving me the job, im a little nervous.

Im young and fit, ive done sport my whole life and dont smoke so I should have good cardio and decent strength.

Few things im worried about, do they usually do a full strip down to the nude examination and do they do a blood test? I'm not too keen on getting nude and fondled by a stranger plus I don't like needles.

Also, I broke a molar (back tooth) almost in half and haven't had it fixed yet, would that make me fail?

What should I expect?

Thanks

Hell Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Sam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: getting a pre job medical examination

You'll be bending, lifting, squeezing, jumping, sitting, etc. they will want to check for any existing injuries. Forget about the tooth, they won't needle you unless you need a tetanus shot, etc.

What ever you do, don't take your clothes off and touch your toes!
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
Motorbreath310

They'll make you do a urine test (drug screening), hearing test, and then just a bunch of activities like lifting and/or dragging objects, and monitor your heart rate during physical tests etc.

Seriously, don't stress about it. It's pretty basic and straightforward. And no: you don't have to get nude and cop a finger in the date.
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
MR REKLAW
BF XR8 Ute
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Cat View Post
So ive been trying hard to get into a mining job and finally had an interview today and it went well.

They want me to go for a medical examination this week before giving me the job, im a little nervous.

Im young and fit, ive done sport my whole life and dont smoke so I should have good cardio and decent strength.

Few things im worried about, do they usually do a full strip down to the nude examination and do they do a blood test? I'm not too keen on getting nude and fondled by a stranger plus I don't like needles.

Also, I broke a molar (back tooth) almost in half and haven't had it fixed yet, would that make me fail?

What should I expect?

Thanks
Hi Hell Cat,last time i had medical for a construction job,eye test for colour blindness,hearing test,cardio test,weight lift,also you will need to give urine sample for drug testing,this will also happen at random times,while on the job site,will probably check chest expansion,ensure lungs are ok,not sure what else they check for if going to mining sites,above tests should just about cover it,your not applying to armed forces,so no strip down and your ghoolies held by a freezing cold hand,blood test would only be needed if fifo to mining site in another country.Hope this is of some help.Cheers Geoff.
2006 BF MKII XR8 Ute,Shockwave Blue.

HERS New One Coming

Past Rides:- XD Panel Van,XE Panel van,XF Wagon,ED Wagon,BA Fairmont,LX Focus

Greetings Earthlings.
MR REKLAW is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
Motorbreath310

Also, remember to demonstrate correct procedure when lifting i.e legs bent, back straight, heels to the ground if you can (I can't) and carry the load close to your body.

I wasn't an overly physical person, plus I ate everything and anything, and drank like a fish - still aced it. You'll be fine. Just don't smoke any hoon.

Also, the hearing test consists of tapping a pen on a desk whenever you hear a beep tone. You can usually pass purely on timing rather than actually listening for the beeps.

Drink some water and hold off on going for a whizz as the pee test is usually the first thing they'll do. You fail that and She's all over.
Old 30-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
Paul302351

its made out to be a big deal but pass the drug and alcohol and you cant go wrong.
Paul302351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
Barnaby

I recently had a mate knocked back for weed...he hadn't smoked in a month. Their tests are good.
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
Motorbreath310

Also, Because it's a mining job; start getting used to the idea of showering with at least 15+ other men at a time.

2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Turn your head and cough .......
Old 30-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
Hell Cat

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback guys. I was stressing out.

I don't do drugs/smoke weed so I should pass that bit. How are they with prescription drugs like pain killers or sleeping tablets? Is it zero tolerance.

I dislocated my arm pretty bad a few years ago, it was really unstable until I started doing some exercises to strenghten it back up, it still gets sore at times. I should be alright if I don't tell them about it.... I hope.

I need this job.
Hell Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
Motorbreath310

Usually best to inform someone if using prescription pills etc. it's all about covering your **** in mining.

They'll tell you all of this during site inductions. Seriously, if you're not sure about something - ask. However stupud you think your question may be (twas actually a good question) they've probably heard worse.
Old 30-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what they haven't told you is you do have to pee with them in the room and if you cant (I couldn't) then yes you have to strip nude put on a gown whilst in front of them so they can see your not trying to tamper with sample then you can go to toilet on your own to pee in cup

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Honestly if some of the guys I work with (fat, smokers, heavy drinkers and over 50 and some of them a combination of all 4) can pass the cat 1 medical, then I think a young fit guy will.
They wont look at your teeth. I have had open heart surgery and still pass easily. I just have to get the medical more often than most others at work.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #14
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With me, they done a colour blindness test, hearing text, eyesight test, and basic physical exam. Sounds like you're a bit modest. Don't worry, no turn the head and cough while the doc cups your balls anymore. They just felt my stomach whilst I stood there and coughed to check for hernia. They also made me do a squat test and checked I had full range of movement. Then there was a urine test. Took a few hours all up with three nurses and a doctor.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #15
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Make sure you book in first thing in the morning and that you are busting for a wee,sometimes it can be hard to pee with someone staring at your old fella...
If they dont stare directly at it there will be a mirror above your head for them to stare at.
Good luck
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #16
Sven83
Starter Motor

Like Ben73 said I work with some pretty healthy people too LOL, physicals not scary but it does surprise me how some of them are on site, no drugs you'll be sweet just declare all prescription and over counter stuff you've had recent.
AU 24lb inj. 65mm TB and 70mm MAF
5spd conv

And the trusty old
91 Ford Maverick SWB
Sven83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #17
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I wouldn't be too concerned about stripping down, it's the prostate check I would be concerned about, one finger is not too bad but if they need a second opinion it can be painfull

Quote:
Unless you are a horse they won't check your teeth

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #18
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
Make sure you book in first thing in the morning and that you are busting for a wee,sometimes it can be hard to pee with someone staring at your old fella...
If they dont stare directly at it there will be a mirror above your head for them to stare at.
Good luck
Wow, a mirror. I worked a job with frequent random drug tests. We just had to leave the door open and the nurse would stand behind us. She'd make sure we weren't juggling a bottle of p1ss or doing anything suss. One of the boys reckoned he ripped a huge fart just to stir her up.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #19
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and remember if you do try to take a clean sample with you , don't get your sample from a pregnant woman they tend to look at you funny when you test pregnant

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2013, 01:11 AM   #20
Spurious

Prescription drugs can sometimes give a false positive result with a drug/urine test.
Take your prescriptions &/or current/old med's with you to satisfy their curiosity.
If old injuries don't give you grief nowadays then don't mention it to them.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #21
zilo
BANNED

You might have the option of the young nurse doing the full "roadworthy" inspection.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #22
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

A medical is more to do with finding what's wrong with you so you can't make a false compo claim down the track.

I doubt they care how unfit you are, so long as you can perform the task required.
3 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #23
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some of the above are either trying to get you going or did their medicle in the prison system.

Ive done a few and they are no big deal, yea you'll wiz in a cup but that's as invasive as it gets, my trick for stage fright is to drink a 1.5l bottle of water on the way to the test (or as much of one as I can) pain meds can give a non negative but they will do a lab teat and providing you don't have enough to kill a horse in your system you'll be fine. They may ask you why you have taken them so as to identify a "problem" but if its just a short term injury like a sporting injury from the weekend no issue

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #24
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

youll be fine
young fit and drug free
if you take medication take it with you along with the perscription if it needed one

youll bend and lift twist and lift get your eyes hearing prob testing

youll be right
dont panic
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #25
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
my trick for stage fright is to drink a 1.5l bottle of water on the way to the test (or as much of one as I can)
But don't drink too much, I'm always drinking water and at a medical I did back in June I had to pee in the cup 3 times before they where happy with the sample, the first 2 where too clear.......and yes I was being observed....go figure.....

I do a least 2 or 3 a year (the most was 5) and I swear at some of them as long as they can detect a pulse you will pass with flying colours....

The reason I do so many medicals is not because I'm buggered, but because the company I work for has so many different clients that require there own medical certificate and won't accept a previous one, even though it maybe only a month or two old they want there own...and just to top off, by law I have to do a AMSA medical every 2 years to keep my tickets valid, and no one accepts them either!......

I feel........violated!

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #26
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
But don't drink too much, I'm always drinking water and at a medical I did back in June I had to pee in the cup 3 times before they where happy with the sample, the first 2 where too clear.......and yes I was being observed....go figure.....

I do a least 2 or 3 a year (the most was 5) and I swear at some of them as long as they can detect a pulse you will pass with flying colours....

The reason I do so many medicals is not because I'm buggered, but because the company I work for has so many different clients that require there own medical certificate and won't accept a previous one, even though it maybe only a month or two old they want there own...and just to top off, by law I have to do a AMSA medical every 2 years to keep my tickets valid, and no one accepts them either!......

I feel........violated!
Bugger me you must have had a lot of water on board i havent had to go a 2nd time but i can see how its possible

Old 31-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #27
Scooter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ What he said. Don't drink too much water or your sample will be too watered down. Then you have to give another sample. You'll be right, its a piece of pizz.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #28
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

my nephew works in a mine, at xmas he was telling me that taking a Nurofen tablet will show up in a test, and that will get you 2 days at home til it clears your system.

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2014, 12:07 AM   #29
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's correct that's what I ment by a non negative

Old 01-01-2014, 12:23 AM   #30
monte.b

We had a random alcohol and drug test the other week at work ,i passed the alcohol ok but failed the drug test ,the first test was a swap type in the mouth ,i failed ,it came up operates so i had to **** in a bottle ,failed that too ,so i was sent home on full pay while the test was sent away ,now before you lot think im a bloody druggie ,i had a Nurofen plus in the morning about 6am for my dicky knee and this is what showed up ,i did tell them beforehand that i had taken it ,one pill only ,anyway i had 3 days off on full pay while the lab checked it out ,then the boss rang and ,please come back to work as you have been cleared ,the test result was positive to codine and morphine ,which are in the pill i took ,so be very very careful what you take as far as over the counter stuff ,i have now got a letter from my dr to say i have one of these pills now and again ,good luck with your medical ,it aint that hard
monte.b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post