Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-05-2008, 12:51 AM   #1
David See
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Black Paint - is it worth the trouble?

Hi all,

A generic vehicle question here...

I am considering another vehicle for my wife because our growing family means her RAV is getting too small.

We have found one that suits, but it is Black and there are little marks all over it. Most of the marks seem to be light scratches around the door handles and so forth, but it looks like it has been recently buffed and the scratches are still there. Nothing too deep, looks like from keys and jewelry etc. From the previous owner, the only problem with this vehicle is that the duco was so hard to keep clean and scratch-free.

My question is, are black cars really worth the trouble considering how easily they show marks, and, is there a "special" or perhaps "secret" way of getting rid of these little scratches?

It is a 4WD and we will be doing light bush stuff, but I wouldn't like to think what this could do to the black paint!

Other than this, the black looks awesome and the car is perfect for us.

David See is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 01:21 AM   #2
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

YEP. Got one. I would have another no question. Get it even half right and it's magnifique.
Old 29-05-2008, 06:58 AM   #3
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

only a person who has never ownd a black car questions it.

its a little work but well worth it, hell even a proton looks good in black

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

I have an F6 in Black and will NEVER buy another black car again. Go with lightning strike, mercury silver, white, maybe even ego in the ford range but not black. Pain in the butt to keep clean, mine sits in a sealed garage and still manages to get a film of dust seconds after it is cleaned! It does look nice tho but IMO not worth the trouble when there are other just as good looking colours out there that are far easy to maintain, especially on a fairly big falcon/terri etc..
Old 29-05-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

If you enjoy washing and cleaning cars, get it. They look awesome when clean. But you do have to wash them more often.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #6
David See
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys, I found it funny that the SELLER actually told me it was a pain in the butt to look after, but I thought perhaps he was just being lazy.

I think I was really more concerned with the scratches on it that are there now - there were heaps of them - and how to get them out without wrecking the finish.

My uncle is a spray painter and warned me NEVER to get black as, using the car under normal circumstances, you would always be attempting to get marks out of it.

But they still look great.....
Old 29-05-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
David See
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
only a person who has never ownd a black car questions it.
...that is, except for the seller of THIS particular car! :
Old 29-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
fordfalconbaxr6

Dark cars look absolutely fantastic when they are just cleaned and polished, but that lasts all of 10 minutes before they look dusty again. Add to that any scratches which are usually white or light grey and they prove to be extremely high maintenance!!!

If I recall correctly, a poll in these forums had black as the most popular colour, but I'd never get one.

Depends how fussy you are and what alternatives are available that you like.

Good luck with your decision
Old 29-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #9
bingoTE50
Steve

Once you've had black you'll never go back...

Well that what the girls reckon..
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #10
BlackLS
yum

I try to wash the car every Saturday morning, so its nice and clean for cruising the weekend. During the week it gets parked in a dirt carpark but still looks ok after the week is done. Go 2 weeks without washing and the car will look brown.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #11
GTP370
2005 BA II GTP

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Excellent breakdown of costs associated with importing a pre-89 car from the U.S.  Very helpful to others and at least two other guys will use the provided info to make their dreams reality.. 

I used to own a black performance vechile and think particular cars look great in black, especially black on black interier.

But never again.

I am pretty fussy when it comes to keeping a clean car and black is far to difficult to keep clean. As soon as I clean, within 24 hours get that dust film effect (parking under a carport).

Scatches and stone chips stand out like dog's balls.

But some black cars look I think look great E.g. GT
GTP370 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 06:36 PM   #12
Abacus
Life's a Gas

I haven’t got a black car, but its Ego – pretty dark. The first dark car I’ve owned.

And keeping it clean is a complete and total PITA.

I usually buy white cars, and now I remember why. A white car needs washing about once a month – if you’re really enthusiastic about it. I’ve had this car for 4 weeks, and it’s been washed 6 times. This increased washing cycle has absolutely nothing to do with new car pride. If its not washed every 4 or 5 days its just downright embarrassing.

Like fordfalconxr6 said they look great for about 10 minutes after they’ve been washed, but by then they’re already getting visible dust settling in them. By the next day it looks like it need another wash.

It rained here yesterday, and the thin film of dust congealed into polka dots. It truly looks awful.

So yeah, this is my first dark car, and I’m pretty sure it will be the last.

The worst bit is the car wash costs. At around $10 a shot this is going to wind up being one of my largest annual expenses.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 06:41 PM   #13
David See
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, thanks guys, I think you have solved the decision for me.

I found a white version of what we wanted overnight (actually, I found THREE overnight after originally looking for a white one for weeks anyway - can you believe it?).

The white looks awesome and makes the car look like a big, chunky toy.

It's a Toyota Prado, by the way. White, I think, is THE colour in this particular vehicle after seeing one in the showroom today.

Now all I have to do is learn how to haggle....
Old 29-05-2008, 06:45 PM   #14
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Flat non metallic black is difficult to keep clean, expecially if it's not garaged.

Keep it waxed if you have time, and it will last, bear in mind though that black absorbs all colours of the sunray's spectrum, meaning it gets the hottest and bakes quickest.

Our old Hyundai had it's bonnet roof and bootlid repainted under warranty at 12 months old because the paint peeled off before you had a chance to wash off the bird lime - being non-metallic and having no 'paint protection' being the two main reasons.

And rubbish Hyundai water based paint.

My 2 cents worth anyway !!

Last edited by FairmontPom; 29-05-2008 at 06:46 PM. Reason: typo
SSVPom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #15
seduced_xr
BF XR6

ive got a seduce (burgandy) falcon. its a pain to keep nice also.
got to polish it all the time and wash it once sometimes twice a week.
so its not just black cars. next car will be silver not white bcos that is also a hard colour to look after
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #16
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Currently own deep pearl blue which can show up dust and grime but nowhere near that of black. My old man owned an XF Ghia in charcoal with red stripes, looked amazing when clean but it was my job as a youngin' to wash the damn thing. Was heartbreaking to see him come home on a Monday morning after a rainy day and it was an absolute mess.

Had the option to buy my current car in black or wait 2 months for a blue one. 2 months later, I'm a happy chappy.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #17
T3man
Banned

Well you've already made up your mind by now but I'll throw you my 1.8 cents worth anyhow.

I honestly can't tell you off the top of my head how many cars I've owned - but it's getting up near 30 or so I'd imagine. Until 2002 I'd never owned a black car. I've owned every other colour.

In 2001 I ordered a T3 TE50 and liked all the colours so much I couldn't decide - in the end I thought "buggger it" I'll try black. I've had two more since then. I find it is the easiest car I've ever had to clean - OK, yes I do have to wash it every week - but I always (try) do that with all my cars anyhow. The big difference is the stains and polishing effort - black just absolutely hides everything! Or so it seems. I have never actually polished either of my current black cars. All I do is use "Wax as you Dry" after washing it - and then only about once a month.

IMO white and silver cars, at least the ones I have owned, are an absolute pain to keep clean. They show every little tar spot and leaf stain and take heaps of elbow grease at each wash to get them looking as clean as the black.

BTW, my cars are never garaged and the best they ever get is a carport - but we are in the bush and dust is everywhere! So they are way from having an easy time of it.

It's true - once you go black you'll never go back LOL.

PS. I don't think it matters much what colour you get - a Prado is always a Prado and is always going to look like a Prado whatever the colour. LOL.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 08:33 PM   #18
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

It is a labour of love.

I have a swipe card for my local car wash, and last months invoice was $38. I'm washing it every couple of days, and giving it a proper shammy dry weekly.

Stone chips are a bastard on dark cars (why the friggin manufactureres won't use dark primers........................?????) BUT

they look absolutely fantastic for 1/2 an hour after detailing. I've had black before, now Ego (as I thought it was a nicer colour) and have no regrets, other than the cleaning regime. Takes commitment.

Sorry, can't help myself...... here's my favourite.......

[IMG]

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #19
FPV 5TH

I had a black XR6 for about a year and it was a pain to keep looking mint. I personally dont mind washing the car once a week but its the bloody stone chips that annoyed the hell out of me because they show up white. I was always coloring them in with a black texta every time i washed the car . I got so tired of it i bought a white XR8 which wasnt too bad and then a lightning strike GT :
FPV 5TH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 09:00 PM   #20
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

I have a black non-ford second car. And I think black cars should ogled, admired and envied. But never owned unless you love to pamper it. Too much work.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #21
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes they are worth it...Doesn't bother me too much as I wash and QD mine every week and wax monthly and its spends most of its life in the garage.

My biggest gripe is fingerprints around the door handles and around the rear doors from my 2 kids.

Now heres why I love black...Nothing beats it after a good wash/wax

2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,

Last edited by ozmale42; 29-05-2008 at 09:23 PM.
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #22
GTP370
2005 BA II GTP

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Excellent breakdown of costs associated with importing a pre-89 car from the U.S.  Very helpful to others and at least two other guys will use the provided info to make their dreams reality.. 

tex & ozmale42 - beautiful looking cars.
GTP370 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #23
351buzz

I'd repaint my car if I wasn't so lazy. black is a hassle.
351buzz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 10:04 PM   #24
abonser

the answer is quiet simple.... NO!

To Come: Electronic Gauges displayed on the ICC
abonser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 10:07 PM   #25
wicksy
Just a bogan VF SS driver

was going to get a black car but after detailing the cars for ford, never again, the paint quality on the rangers, focus and fiestas is poor and the aussie made ones arent too bad guess, depends on how they are treated during transport
Old 29-05-2008, 10:12 PM   #26
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Funny how even the pics of pristine cleaned looking black cars look dirty. :P
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 10:16 PM   #27
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Black paint is okay on a new car, providing you know how to look after it and keep it like that. There are some black cars getting around which people have really taken good care of, but if its knocked around looking dont buy it, too much work to get it back to a decent standard.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 10:16 PM   #28
b2tf
not here much anymore

I have a black car. Never again will I have a black car. Nuff said.
Old 29-05-2008, 10:33 PM   #29
David See
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Funny how even the pics of pristine cleaned looking black cars look dirty. :P
Yeah! I agree! I have noticed that, too. SOme colours on the other hand look clean in photos no matter how dirty they are.

My opinion is that no matter how clean your car is, it will never look properly clean until the tyres are shiny.
Old 29-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #30
David See
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
PS. I don't think it matters much what colour you get - a Prado is always a Prado and is always going to look like a Prado whatever the colour. LOL.
:-) But now I will have the best of both worlds.....a good-looking 2-year-old AWD Ford that rattles and squeaks, and a (supposedly) questionable-looking 4WD Prado that is 4 years old and is tight as a drum. We're covered!