Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-07-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
Sprint XR8

Default Pontiac G8 will live on as a Chevrolet Caprice

Bob Lutz: Pontiac G8 will live on as a Chevrolet Caprice
July 11, 2009
By David Zenlea, Eric Tingwall

Only hours into his latest tenure at General Motors, Bob Lutz was back at what he does best, namely, slipping product information to the media and giving enthusiasts a reason to believe in the beleaguered auto company.

Asked about the future of the Pontiac G8, slated to end production with the 2009 model year, Lutz told Automobile Magazine the car would find its way into Chevrolet showrooms under the Caprice name.

"The last time we looked at [the G8], we decided that we would continue to import it as a Chevrolet," Lutz said. "It is kind of too good to waste."

CEO Fritz Henderson has repeatedly denied that the G8 would survive as part of another brand, saying he's "not a fan of rebadging."

But Lutz, citing export agreements with Australia and the fact that the Holden Commodore is already sold in many countries as a Chevrolet, assured us GM would not let the car die.
http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...ice/index.html

Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
Sprint XR8

BREAKING: Lutz says Pontiac G8 to survive as Chevy Caprice in U.S.
by Alex Nunez on Jul 11th 2009

Bob Lutz is back, and after what seems like five minutes into his job as GM's new marketing kingpin, he's doing what he does best: making headlines. Rest assured that this is a good thing, as El Generalissimo Roberto Maximo told Automobile Magazine that yes, the Pontiac G8 will live on in the United States as the Chevy Caprice. So much for Fritz "I'm not a fan of rebadging" Henderson's statement to the contrary a couple of weeks ago.

"The last time we looked at [the G8], we decided that we would continue to import it as a Chevrolet. It is kind of too good to waste," Lutz told the mag. As for the G8 being "too good to waste": Amen to that, Bob. This also makes us wonder if law enforcement-grade models will be part of the deal with Holden to continue production. Chevy Caprice police cars? That's got a very familiar ring to it. The next question is whether a U.S. Caprice would mimic the Middle East-market Caprice, which is based on the long-wheelbase Holden Caprice/Statesman, or whether it will simply be a Chevy-badged version of the standard-wheelbase Holden Commodore/Pontiac G8/Chevrolet Lumina. Frankly, as long as there's ultimately a Caprice SS that is identical to the Pontiac G8 GXP in every critical way, we don't care.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/11/l...u-s-z28-likel/
Old 12-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
500SEC

Interesting news. I've also seen older model commodores (VS/VZ etc) on the road in Brazil badged as Chevrolets, and Statemans in China badged as Buicks. There is also a feature story in Episode 2 (or was it 3) of the latest Top Gear UK that compares Mercedes SLR to Lambo in the Middle-East, and in the background u can see Holden Commodore police cars, presumably badged as Chevvies. Commies are taking over the world! If only the Falcon wasn't being kept a secret from the world....
500SEC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great news for Holden.

I think Ford should seriously reconsider Falcon going over there - perhaps even as a premium Taurus. Wouldn't THAT be ironic? :-)

I know I've said before that I think Taurus and Falc will end up sharing the same platform and I still think this is the case, but if they can get a look at just how good the Falc is over there and the public can get a look at Falc, it would be great to see Falc having more of the influence in the equation.

Again, great news for Holden though.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Good news for Holden and Australian manufacturing.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
Great news for Holden.

I think Ford should seriously reconsider Falcon going over there - perhaps even as a premium Taurus. Wouldn't THAT be ironic? :-)

I know I've said before that I think Taurus and Falc will end up sharing the same platform and I still think this is the case, but if they can get a look at just how good the Falc is over there and the public can get a look at Falc, it would be great to see Falc having more of the influence in the equation.

Again, great news for Holden though.
I think Ford should use the Falcon as a Crown Vic replacement. Keep the Taurus there too. Don't call it Crown Vic though, or everyone will think it's just for Mexicans. Globalize the Falcon. And have a stretched version (Fairlane) to replace the Town Car. Make it look like a Lincoln of course. Maybe give that a new name like MKL? The Lincoln naming convention now having three letter acronyms starting with MK (as in Mark). L as in Limousine? I don't know how long that naming convention could last for.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Falcon doesnt meet european or US design rules.
Thigns liek fuel tank location and of course the i6 engine not meeeting some co2 stds etc
So it wont happen in short term
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
Falcon doesnt meet european or US design rules.
Thigns liek fuel tank location and of course the i6 engine not meeeting some co2 stds etc
So it wont happen in short term
Thats not quite true, it probably doesnt quite qualify to pass the emission rules (yet) but the design rules it should be fine apart from a few minor details.
The fuel tank position was switched from B series onwards to comply with the US rules.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #9
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Interesting !

I was told differently by my contact there last month. Good news for Holden for sure....
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
Jayden
Graphic Artist

they should sell it in the US as the Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo and XR8. And they need someone who knows what the car is about to keep their branding ups to a minimum if they do it.

Good to see the Chevrolet caprice live on. hopefully longer the Pontiac G8 did.
although id put a 20 on 'axed in less than a year.'
Old 15-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #11
Sprint XR8

The G8 to Live On as a Chevrolet Caprice, to Be Built in North America at
Oshawa, Ontario
Tuesday, 14 July 2009
Citing an informed and confidential source within GM's executive ranks, Automotive Traveler has confirmed that not only will Pontiac's highly regarded G8 sedan migrate to the Chevrolet brand, but it will be built in North America at GM's Oshawa, Ontario plant.
"Maximum" Bob Lutz, after being re-instated as the "Vice Chairman for all creative elements of products and customer relationships", may have tipped the cards when Automobile Magazine conducted their latest interview with him. Mr. Lutz, car guy extraordinaire, remarked, "The last time we looked at (the G8), we decided that we would continue to import it as a Chevrolet". He also quipped that the G8 was too good to waste. This caused all sorts of consternation among the hierarchy within the Renaissance Center, because the current GM CEO, Fritz Henderson has been widely quoted as "I'm no fan of rebadging" implying that the G8 had no future in North America.
However late this morning, Automotive Traveler learned through confidential sources at GM that the G8 (based on GM's Global Zeta platform, a lighter, more efficient version on the chassis that currently underpins the G8) will be built in Oshawa, Ontario, right alongside it's stable mate, the Chevy Camaro. We have learned that the new car will most likely be called the Caprice, and that it will be launched within 18 months, most likely at the start of the 2011 model year after Pontiac gets its last rites. The major obstacles to be ironed out will be redesigning the front fascia (the Caprice marketed in the Middle East, shown above, does not conform to current US Regulations), and finding a way to increase production capacity within the designated plant.
Again, citing our sources, there are two major reasons for this move. First, the current generation Impala, introduced in fall of 1999, rides on a modified front-wheel-drive "W" series platform derived from the Lumina. While still selling in respectable numbers, it is increasingly non-competitive in the mid-sized sedan category, with a platform approaching almost two decades old. Second, GM is losing ground in the very lucrative fleet and police package markets that is currently the lifeblood of the company that is taking tax payer money just to stay afloat. The "9C1" and "9C3" Special Police Specials are available only with a V6 engine, and are out of favor with most law enforcement agencies who prefer the equally ancient Ford Crown Victoria, or the Dodge Charger. With a V8-equipped, rear-wheel-drive sedan once again back in the mix, GM should have no trouble topping the sales charts in this lucrative part of the business.
http://www.automotivetraveler.com/in...717&Itemid=194
Old 15-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If thats the case, how long till they build the Commodore there and export it here?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #13
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
If thats the case, how long till they build the Commodore there and export it here?
Exactly what I was just thinking.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #14
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Makes more sense to build the Commodore in the US and the Staesman in China doesnt it? Hopefully they dont though.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #15
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81
Makes more sense to build the Commodore in the US and the Staesman in China doesnt it? Hopefully they dont though.
I'm sure the Cruze would take up any production slack once manufactured in Oz....

Baaarrrhhhh!!!!
Old 16-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #16
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bye Bye, Elizabeth. Thanks for coming.

They'll keep it open just long enough to get the money from the government that was dependent on them keeping production in oz then it'll be lights out me thinks.

What's the point of keeping it open to produce 40,000 commodores when the Oshawa plant will do ridiculous amounts and the Cruze when it's produced in how many other countries?

How quickly good news turns to possibly bad...

Last edited by imugli; 16-07-2009 at 09:34 AM.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #17
XR8putts

To be built in NA? - How did this great news for Holden turn into a massive worry?!

They must be creaming their pants over at Holden HQ!
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #18
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Bad for our auto industry if production goes overseas, but perhaps good for the consumer? If the Commodore and Stato are designed over here and loaded up with a heap of expensive gizmos that wouldnt be feasible on a small volume Aussie sedan, but is on a car that sells in large quantities in the US and abroad?
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #19
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

I retract what I posted earlier.
Old 16-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #20
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden
they should sell it in the US as the Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo and XR8. And they need someone who knows what the car is about to keep their branding ups to a minimum if they do it.

Good to see the Chevrolet caprice live on. hopefully longer the Pontiac G8 did.
although id put a 20 on 'axed in less than a year.'
.................................................. ......................
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #21
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Atleast the boys with the chev badged commodores will soon be 100% correct. Farewell the Australian commodore, welcome to chev caprice.

I would just like to say, i called it.

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #22
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder whats gonna happen to the exports to the Middle East and Brasil. Will production be shifted to the States for the Midd East and Brasil aswell?
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post