Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default XT drops to only 4.5% of sales in FG - Ford inches closer to Holden

Interesting article in carsguide today about how Ford's sales are getting very close to Commodores. Though of particular interest is the fact Ford is now making more profit as 93% of sales are now "premium" Falcons with FG XT only making up 4.5% of sales mix. In previous model this was 60%! This is a huge change.

Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsguide.com.au
The sales gap between the Blue Oval and the Red Lion is closing.

In the blue corner, Ford is getting to within a whisker of Holden in the red corner in the passenger car sales race. Last month Ford came to within 1 per cent of Holden's share of vehicle sales. Ford had 11.2 per cent of the May market versus 12.2 per cent for Holden.

Holden is still ahead in year-to-date terms with a total vehicle share of 12.5 per cent against Ford's 10.3 per cent but the individual model count shows the gap is closing.

Related Coverage
Spy shot: Ford RangerFord recalls LPG Falcons1934 Ford Model B – Carsguide Car of the WeekHolden crisis is overHolden Commodore VF: VE faceliftHolden: icon or just con?Sales of the tradies' favourite, the Falcon and Holden utes, are with 0.1 per cent of each other this year. The Falcon ute has a 17.2 per cent market share and the Commodore ute a 17.1 share.

In overall terms Ford has experienced a modest gain in passenger car market share, up from 9.5 per cent last year to 10.5 per cent this year. By comparison, Holden's passenger share has remained relatively stagnant since last year but the Red Lion brand is still ahead by 3.9 per cent.

Ford is soon to ramp up its marketing message by launching a Fiesta and Focus assault on its toughest market, Sydney, to go head to head against Toyota.

"Sydney remains our toughest market," Burela says.

At the other end of the Ford scale Burela says the FG Falcon, after a slow sales start at launch last year, is gradually winning over large car buyers.

In overall terms both sedan and ute sales are still down 2 per cent and 14 per cent, but importantly Falcon, along with the VE Commodore, is improving its large car market share. The Falcon's share of the large car sales pie has increased this year to 31 per cent against 25 per cent for the same period last year. The Commodore's share has increased from 42 per cent to 47 per cent.

Burela says the FG is also bringing younger buyers to the brand. The average age of a Falcon owner has also come down from 55 to between 35 and 45. Although it is still too early to forecast full-blown large car recovery, Burela believes the signs are good.

A key indicator for Falcon's climb back into buyers' minds is that Ford is selling a richer, more profitable, mix of high-end FG Falcons than the previous model.

The XR sports models are the most popular, accounting for more than 50 per cent of FG sales, followed by the luxury G-Series cars, with 43 per cent and the XT accounting for 4.5 per cent. In the previous Falcon the XT was by far the most popular car, accounting for 60 per cent of sales.

With Holden's new VF Commodore around the corner, Ford plans to respond with a range of initiatives to maintain its FG sales momentum by promoting the car's economy and technology.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...7&page=1&pp=25
Theres a bit of a discussion there
Old 19-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

Thats great for the falcon. No wonder Ive seen hardly any XT's onthe road, maybe 5 in the last year. As for therest, I see a lot of G6E's and G6Et's and not so many XR's.
Old 19-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I see more G6's on the road in Wait Awhile than I do XT's. I see a few XR6's around the place but not many. I'd probably see as many G6ET's as I would an FG FPV, ie, very rarely.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #5
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that is wrong, What they mean to say is that 4.5% of XT sales are to private buyers, and that there were I think 33% of falcons that are XTs. The other 95.5% are sold to business. The other figures are the same, that is a % of private sales to fleet.

I read the 33% on another news site...
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

The pricing makes it what it is. Whilst the G6 and XR6 are only like 4 grand more than an XT instead of 14, who's gonna buy an XT?
Old 19-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #7
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

I still see a shedload of XT's. Seen a few G6's, virtually no G6E's though- I think everyone with enough money to get G6E, got the turbo- which ive seen quite a few.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
I think that is wrong, What they mean to say is that 4.5% of XT sales are to private buyers, and that there were I think 33% of falcons that are XTs. The other 95.5% are sold to business. The other figures are the same, that is a % of private sales to fleet.

I read the 33% on another news site...
I thought that too. But it isn't. Refer to the other thread.

XR models now make up 50+%
G series make up 43%
XT is just 4.5%

I see a heap more G series (majority are G6ET) and XR Falcons than XT for sure and certain. Getting pretty common here in Newcastle.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
I thought that too. But it isn't. Refer to the other thread.

XR models now make up 50+%
G series make up 43%
XT is just 4.5%

I see a heap more G series (majority are G6ET) and XR Falcons than XT for sure and certain. Getting pretty common here in Newcastle.
The other thread is meant to be for this year (the high emmissions of the falcon stopped fleets buying them), but overall its meant to be split fairly evenly since the release.
Old 19-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #10
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

So why is that a good thing for Ford?

Previous XT shoppers are buying something else.
XR & Premo models are still worth buying.

So measured as a percentage XR & Premo go up and XT goes down but overall it's on a lower volume base so Ford is selling less.

Sure the profit per car might be better but overall revenue is down and may not be covering fixed costs = Not good.

Similarly measuring Fords as a % of passenger car sales or the Falcon as a % of large car sales tells you nothing unless you know the overall volumes, which I'd reckon are way down on where the business case says they should be.
Old 19-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #11
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So where does carsales get their wrong figures! Hopeless journos...

Reading a bit further it IS a quite even split on xt, xr and g series, nothing like the 4 % xt they speak of. That could only be a PRIVATE % of xt sales.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 05:27 PM   #12
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
So why is that a good thing for Ford?

Previous XT shoppers are buying something else.
XR & Premo models are still worth buying.

So measured as a percentage XR & Premo go up and XT goes down but overall it's on a lower volume base so Ford is selling less.

Sure the profit per car might be better but overall revenue is down and may not be covering fixed costs = Not good.

Similarly measuring Fords as a % of passenger car sales or the Falcon as a % of large car sales tells you nothing unless you know the overall volumes, which I'd reckon are way down on where the business case says they should be.
Previous XT shoppers where fleets, which ford never made much money from anyway. I think they would rather sell more prestige models at close to rrp then basically giving away base models to fleet companys.

Shying away from fleets is a good thing, it improves market perception, people wont percieve the car as just a fleet hack anymore, why do you think ford stoped making taxi packs? Because A they dont make hardly any money off them and B they make the rest of their range look bad, same thing happens with fleet hacks with telstra stickers and dirty white police cars with steel rims.

People dont want to spend their hard earned and pay full price on a car that looks just like their neighbours trashed company car which they turn over every year.

This is a GOOD thing for ford, stop playing the mines bigger then yours game like holden, and make some money! Who cares if you sell more, when your loosing money year after year cos you rely on telstra and the government to sell cars.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #13
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Interesting article in carsguide today about how Ford's sales are getting very close to Commodores. Though of particular interest is the fact Ford is now making more profit as 93% of sales are now "premium" Falcons with FG XT only making up 4.5% of sales mix. In previous model this was 60%! This is a huge change.

Link
Your spot on with the much richer mix. Building to order as well, will certainly help the bottom line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsguide
Burela says the FG is also bringing younger buyers to the brand. The average age of a Falcon owner has also come down from 55 to between 35 and 45. Although it is still too early to forecast full-blown large car recovery, Burela believes the signs are good.]
The bolded print to me was just as important. A reduction of some 15 years is a massive drop and a real step in the right direction. What that means is that Ford is now finally winning back that demographic of customers (who were ready for their first cars but were) abandoned when Ford dropped the V8 back in the early 1980's. I think its also a reflection of the B series owners having a positive experience and them updating.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #14
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Great news for ford, and I am seeing more and more of the fg on the road every day. The age drop is a great thing too, seen as a younger and more vibrant brand; the fiesta and focus will seal up the girlie end of the market ie, big car for the boys, little car for the girls.

Quote: