Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
Poorboy_racer

Default Possible solution to hoon drivers.

Ok been talking with my wife and think we have a solution to the rising road toll crushing hoons cars etc situation.
From the bulk of articles we have read. Most car accidents seem to be driver error. Far more than any other factor. Therefore to reduce incidents, drivers need better reactions/ driving skills. What about as the second phase of your test you take a trip to the drags and have to pull a sub 1 second light before you can take off your Ps? Then you could get rid of them sooner and anyone with Ps really would need to be watched by other road users. As everyone would know they have rubbish reactions. Then my wife says driver skill involves going round corners. Ok then, open up the race tracks Philp Island, Eastern Creek, Winton etc etc for a few laps. Then she says but cars come the other way on the road. So to get off your Ps you must do 10 laps of your local track in a given time with half of you going one way and the other half going the opposite direction. If you can do that for 10 laps without a prang then you really deserve to be off you Ps.

In all honesty did an advanced motoring test in the UK on my bike and it was 10X harder to pass than the Department of Transport test. Don’t know if you can take an advance motor test in Aus but if you did (believe me they are really hard to pass) then you should be able to cut the time on Ps as an incentive. Also anything like skid pan time etc should take time off you Ps in my opinion anyway. As for hoons, taking your car or bike onto a proper race track under controlled conditions really slows you up on the road as it no longer gives you the same kick. Everyone I know who races is ‘Mr Goody two shoes’ on the road. I made a suggestion to the paper once for the Police to spend some of the huge road revenue they make, by sponsoring some meetings at the drags and race tracks etc. They could really press the point about safe driving etc and be good for Police relations. The reaction was “Cant do that as it would teach the youngsters to drive faster”. Also as the police are known to check cars at the major car shows here in W.A. no one with a modified car would turn up.

Just encase anyone’s daft enough to think I was serious about the first bit. IT’S A JOKE

Poorboy_racer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #2
Conrad
Banned

The first bit wasn't even funny so why did you include it.

cbf reading the second bit now - waste of time
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh dear......

Old 15-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #4
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your whole post is a joke.
Old 15-11-2007, 09:59 PM   #5
Werd.
nou

Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 10:07 PM   #6
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

You owe me 35 cents for opening this post. Words defy me right now.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 10:27 PM   #7
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol, let's teach every one to be a race car driver!!

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 10:31 PM   #8
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Paul Morris will be head instructor...

Old 15-11-2007, 10:43 PM   #9
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Perhaps we should just not get all worked up over stuff like this, cause 90% of the time it is the media making a bigger deal out of it than it really is.

I do 30,000 or so Km a year and from what i see it's hardly a major problem and if anything, it is the same as it has always been, when reading or listening to media reports I have to look outside to make sure i am not in a Mad Max movie.

Some times i think this country is going down hill fast, with all the complaining we all do not to mention all the "this is how we are going to make your life's better" groups out there.
Old 16-11-2007, 01:21 AM   #10
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

I think its more along the lines of people dont care on the road, i mean, how many do you see texting,eating, searching for something in the back or passenger floor?
I was nearly side swiped by a woman in a Prado today, because she was texting. So i asked her what her problem is, and she just said "what i do in my car is my business Fork (censored version) off!"
I couldnt believe the arrogance of the Beeatch

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Last edited by [Tonko]; 16-11-2007 at 01:22 AM. Reason: damn censor!
[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 01:30 AM   #11
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkoXR8
I think its more along the lines of people dont care on the road, i mean, how many do you see texting,eating, searching for something in the back or passenger floor?
I was nearly side swiped by a woman in a Prado today, because she was texting. So i asked her what her problem is, and she just said "what i do in my car is my business Fork (censored version) off!"
I couldnt believe the arrogance of the Beeatch
Should have kicked her door in,
Besides that, yes that post was kinda pointless in a way, but all in all in a way what you say is true, put p plates on a skid pad, and track work...
Im sitting on the fence with this one as it can go one of two ways,
-P platers will think their better drivers (hot headed) and driver faster

but then the other point is
- Advanced driving courses all deal with skid pads, track work and how to manouver a car...so maybe something like a course before you get your p's COULD be a good thing
- Ash
3:4:5 LSD diff
JMM Extractors
2.5" Stainless Steel highflow cat
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors
Lowered on Pedders Sports Ryders
....and a cherry scented airfreshner

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Hybrid34 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 08:19 AM   #12
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thnak god it wan't just me who thought this was a bit left field - enough said!
Old 16-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #13
gozza

You can't save the world buddy - Hoon is becoming such a sensationalised fad word

its like emo - What is a hoon - People who drove like morons on the road are exactly that - whether it be driving with your head up your date or weaving in and out of lanes like a hero

+1 for discretional skids and open road squirts
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 12:33 PM   #14
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i reckon a better plan would be to make the p platers compete for places. not everyone deserves to drive the same way not everyone deserves a uni place.

the test has 2 parts:

1) a formal HSC style exam covering road rules, legal rights and obligations, the mechanics of a car & how to interact with other humans

2) a practical driving test over a number of days. covering all aspects likely to be encountered on the road.

set a competancy level (say 75% pass mark on the exam and no more than 3 errors on the practical part) and only let only those that pass have a licence.

no more idiot p platers on the road
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 01:37 PM   #15
EA2BA
PM me if you want

A well educated moron, is still a moron. <--- no way a test or exam will ever fix that!

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 02:23 PM   #16
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

I think it is a good idea especially the track days.

Whenever a cop ever tells you to do it on a track don't ever be smart and ask how many hundreds of kilometres away the nearest track is...............
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 07:57 PM   #17
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

To those who flamed the author, I gues you don't live in WA? Because you would recognise sarcasme straight away. WA Driver's SUCK; WA road rules, mentality and enforcement = retarded. Sorry to be so harsh, but that is the truth!

Speed kills....??????

Actually it isn't the speed it self, it is the difference in speed between road users!!! Not being able to merge, driving too slow, staying in the right lane, not reading the road or traffic are also great causes of problems, just like not knowing the road rules or giving other road user's ample room.

But the government has done a great job of brain washing everybody with:

DOB IN HOONS AND DON"T SPEED because then all above become null and void and you are an true angel on the road???????

IDIOT RULES, DESIGNED BY IDIOTS FOR .....

: 2011 Honda CB400 - Pearl White; Megacycle slip-on, Some Carbon Fibre & More... 2010 Yamaha Virago 250 - Burgandy

Last edited by Fair302; 16-11-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Fair302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 08:06 PM   #18
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

The word naive comes to mind....

: 2011 Honda CB400 - Pearl White; Megacycle slip-on, Some Carbon Fibre & More... 2010 Yamaha Virago 250 - Burgandy
Fair302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 08:09 PM   #19
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
A well educated moron, is still a moron. <--- no way a test or exam will ever fix that!
Agreed.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 08:13 PM   #20
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
You can't save the world buddy - Hoon is becoming such a sensationalised fad word

its like emo - What is a hoon - People who drove like morons on the road are exactly that - whether it be driving with your head up your date or weaving in and out of lanes like a hero

+1 for discretional skids and open road squirts
+1 Well said!
Old 16-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #21
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Don't give up your day job.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 09:35 PM   #22
Poorboy_racer

I wasn’t going to reply to this, as in retrospect the first part of the post is a bit silly. Was just talking about all the fuss about 'hoons' we keep hearing in the media. Makes me sick. ‘Dob in a hoon’ and get their car impounded………yea sure. Better not upset my neighbours in case they phone the Rozzers. It was posted (rather foolishly it seems now) in a fit of extreme boredom. Accepted shouldnt have bothered.

The second part was partly serious. If you could get 6 months cut off the time you need to display P plates by passing a self funded voluntary advanced driving course who wouldn’t do it? You can get a 4 hour skid pan course here at the AHG driver centre for only $75. The attitude given by the police (and Im not knocking the police in general) that you may just teach people to drive faster is crazy. When it rains here there is total carnage on our roads. After a long dry period you can see the diesel floating on top of the wet surface (I also ride a bike) but hardly any one seems to think it may actually be slippery. I have seen a police car taking a sharp turn in to Kings Park when the back let go, the driver slammed on the brakes! Surprise, surprise he lost it and spun out. If he had kept his boot down and put in a bit of opposite lock he could have made it easy. Im not saying Im the worlds greatest driver or anything. I just think the more experience in different conditions you can get the better. And it should be fun. The people you hear say I could never take my car to the drags I would be too frightened. You must be mad to do that etc…etc…Can you drive in a straight line? Yes, you can drag race then. These people are fine on the main road where there are other people about, and its infinitely more dangerous. Makes no sense.
Poorboy_racer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 10:30 PM   #23
bob^
LPS

Who cares about the hoons now. The hot topic on A Current Affair is National Bingo night...
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2007, 07:54 PM   #24
MeLLy

Actually in almost every arguement i have been involved in on these forums i have always said that instead of all the extra money making crap they keep bringing out that they should just train us better...and the young ones better...
Doesnt take rocket science.

B**** with Boost
MeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2007, 08:19 PM   #25
eXi7w0unD

u cannot stop "hoons" we are human. it will never happen. in my lifetime anyway.
Old 17-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #26
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

welcome to my ignore list.

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post