Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 29-06-2006, 09:04 AM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default Advice on traction ...again.

Some time ago I posted that I was spinning my wheels off the line.Since then I have installed a 3.73 lsd and lowered the car a tad.The problem is that I spin both wheels!! At a recent meet I ripped a burnout with the same tyres used by others to get 14.3 in a six!!

I have since purchased some mickey thompson et street radials.I have been advised that 20psi should give me all the traction I need.

Does anyone have any other advice on traction improvement that I can use? I have a phobia that I will spin these as well.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 12:44 PM   #2
Bermo
Was BRT-351 now BRT-393

You need softer springs in the rear as a start, I'm sure the other guys will have some more ideas.
(Leaving the line @ 6000RPM is not the quickest way either..)
Bermo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Dont u have an auto useless??
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 05:27 PM   #4
OLS108
LS1 owner

Id be getting them down the 22PSI mate, if you have an auto and still have traction issues then you must have HUGE HP :eclipsee_
Old 29-06-2006, 05:27 PM   #5
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Some time ago I posted that I was spinning my wheels off the line.Since then I have installed a 3.73 lsd and lowered the car a tad.The problem is that I spin both wheels!! At a recent meet I ripped a burnout with the same tyres used by others to get 14.3 in a six!!

I have since purchased some mickey thompson et street radials.I have been advised that 20psi should give me all the traction I need.

Does anyone have any other advice on traction improvement that I can use? I have a phobia that I will spin these as well.
Stav,you wont spin the M/T's at the track in the wagon, just rip a big burnout first up,They worked better for me when I bushfired em. Stop worrying about it they'll go well.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 07:41 PM   #6
Walkinshaw
Two > One

thats the trick with slicks/semi slicks, get them hot. A good 10sec burnout in 2nd gear should do the trick.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 07:53 PM   #7
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

I ran my street radisl at 18 psi and not a real big burnout either. If I smoked them too much thay would spin worse than if I did a shorter burn in 2nd gear.

Also lowering your car may make your wheel spin problem worse.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 08:44 PM   #8
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Stav,you wont spin the M/T's at the track in the wagon, just rip a big burnout first up,They worked better for me when I bushfired em. Stop worrying about it they'll go well.
Big big big burnout mate :evilking: 22 psi ? Then I dont care any more.I am gonna stall this auto to breaking point and let it rip after a few hail mary's.
If it grabs I am gonna improve my pb with some luck.If I crack a 14 second time I am retiring from hard core modding and possibly taking up lawn bowls..nar joking

1TUFFUTE my car is an auto.OLS108 I dont have huge hp it just likes spinning?? ratter I lowered the back more.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 29-06-2006, 09:08 PM   #9
Stav
Smile

Dammit thats what I am goiong to do and if I dont ,it will be a 1/4 mile burnout!!!!

Old 29-06-2006, 09:38 PM   #10
1TUFFUTE
Banned

does yours stall up,spin and keep spinning through first or does it gain traction
Old 29-06-2006, 10:12 PM   #11
Stav
Smile

On street tyres it just sat there at the track.On 245 semi slicks it spun then gained traction. I think nugget is right .The mt et street radials should do the job.

Old 29-06-2006, 10:17 PM   #12
Stav
Smile

Can I spray my tyres with vht?

Old 29-06-2006, 10:36 PM   #13
1TUFFUTE
Banned

whats vht??
Old 29-06-2006, 10:47 PM   #14
1TUFFUTE
Banned

while the subject is Traction, i was wondering how u stall yours up while trying not to get wheel spin. I found that if i really stand on the brakes and bring the revs up a little slower it helps stop the spin abit. Then as i take off i keep the same revs until it grips, espescially if its spinning a bit. Sometimes leaving a little pressure on the brake still. Seems to help wheel spin (235 street tyres) a fair bit but in theory its probably slowing the car down using the brake so much. Dam it i cant win...
Old 29-06-2006, 10:49 PM   #15
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

waste of time spraying tyres with VHT as the track should be prepped with it, anyway if you did, what do you think would happen when you drive through the water trap?

A huge burnout on M/T street radials is a waste of rubber and a slower 60 ft

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 11:25 PM   #16
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
waste of time spraying tyres with VHT as the track should be prepped with it, anyway if you did, what do you think would happen when you drive through the water trap?

A huge burnout on M/T street radials is a waste of rubber and a slower 60 ft
What do you recommend?

1TUFFUTE In daily driving just stomping it of the mark gives me wheelspin. I takeoff slowly now unless the wagon is totally loaded. Generally I carry 150 kgs of stuff in the back. If I stall it up and let go I am causing pollution.Noise and smoke.

Old 30-06-2006, 01:19 AM   #17
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I run m/t with 18 lb about a 10 second burnout is enough...
They'll bite alot harder than 17/ 40- 245's...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 01:19 AM   #18
stiddy
Banned

Do a burnout, not like your trying to win a comp... just to get them hot, stage, stall it up and let it go.. it wont turn the slicks..
The trick will be either to stall it to max, or flash it before you leave the line.

Stav.. if you can turn these slicks at the track, i'll buy your wagon!
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 08:16 AM   #19
protd
TUFF FORDS

no big burnouts on slicks thats just for public veiwing it actully makes the slicks greasy..roll through the water no brake 2nd gear stab the throttle shift 3rd as soon as u feel the slicks bit and beleieve me u'll feel it.. u'r ready to stage..
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 09:17 AM   #20
shorty0601
Coastie

Sorry mistake
shorty0601 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 09:33 AM   #21
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I ran the M/T et streets for a while,I wore out 2 sets, I could never get them to 60' with a small burnout especially for the first couple runs.
My car being a manual I can only do a second gear burnout and that is turning the wheels slower than an auto would.
Maybe you cant go off how they worked for me,the engine makes somewhere over 500hp and as such I could never side step it on the radials, I would just ride the clutch off the line.
When I bushfired them almost to the lights the 60' was 1.7's when I tried a small burnout the 60' went 1.8-1.9.
Old 30-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #22
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate you wont spin them up. Do a nice skid. 5-10seconds long.

If I can get traction on my old AU on superlows with 8psi under my belt then you wont have any dramas.

I found the first time I went out I did a small burnout and got wheelspin on 30 psi. The second I dropped them to 20psi and did a slightly bigger burnout, they stuck like glue.

Good luck mate, decent traction should improve your time largely.
Old 30-06-2006, 01:00 PM   #23
xr8ute
Back on the road

Dont worry Stav, it will grip. Those old D01J's where crap, and with your converter, you should be able to do a better 60' than I can anyway.

I hear you guys are probably taking your wagons out to WSID next week? Let me know if you guys are definitely heading out. I'll see if I can borrow a car, and I'll pit crew for you.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 02:56 PM   #24
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

also what an old school drag racer told me stay away from the wet patch because you fill your guards with water and then it drips onto your tyre roll past the wet bit and do your burnout on the dry part.

just a little trick

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 02:57 PM   #25
hot460

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
I hear you guys are probably taking your wagons out to WSID next week? Let me know if you guys are definitely heading out. I'll see if I can borrow a car, and I'll pit crew for you.
I think I will be heading up to WSID for another go next week. I'll see if I can get a low 1.9 60'. on the dunlops, If so a 12 could be on the cards. :eclipsee_
I can give you a lift if you want.

Rich.
Old 30-06-2006, 06:27 PM   #26
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger
also what an old school drag racer told me stay away from the wet patch because you fill your guards with water and then it drips onto your tyre roll past the wet bit and do your burnout on the dry part.

just a little trick
Mate it aint a swimming pool, the water is there for a reason to help save drivelines mainly with sticky tyres.

Stav just do a small burnout thats all I did with the MT streets also MT recomends only small burnourt required.
Spin them up till you see smoke and thats enough.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #27
Stav
Smile

Thanks for the advice guys.Maybe I am overreacting but I am tight lipped about some mods I have done to the wagon. It is much quicker than my first engine now.My only let down is my flatspot up top which I will sort out this weekend.I hit 140 kays and flatspots due to lack of fuel . Luckily I have 3 tunes in my edit flasher and I know which one can solve my issue.

Big thanks nugget ...I know you had these babies before and I promise the wagon will be at its best next wednesday if nothing breaks and it has traction.

Old 30-06-2006, 07:38 PM   #28
protd
TUFF FORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
I ran the M/T et streets for a while,I wore out 2 sets, I could never get them to 60' with a small burnout especially for the first couple runs.
My car being a manual I can only do a second gear burnout and that is turning the wheels slower than an auto would.
Maybe you cant go off how they worked for me,the engine makes somewhere over 500hp and as such I could never side step it on the radials, I would just ride the clutch off the line.
When I bushfired them almost to the lights the 60' was 1.7's when I tried a small burnout the 60' went 1.8-1.9.
i ran a manual in a xd with about 550hp i ran 15x10.5x26 slicks i could leave the line at almost 7 grand i never tried street radials but so i cant comment on them.. nothing is gospal what works 4 me might not work for others.. i'm not sayin ur not doing it right u know how ur car works.. my 60's were low 1.6's and i used a line lock and used 3rd then let the line lock off once i got it into 3rd gear...
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 08:01 PM   #29
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
Dont worry Stav, it will grip. Those old D01J's where crap, and with your converter, you should be able to do a better 60' than I can anyway.

Dave if the weather is good me and Jonbays will definatley be going on wednesday.Its gonna be funny mate.Cold weather + no mods Jonbays me mods + cold weather= nfi? Will be fun.

Old 30-06-2006, 09:55 PM   #30
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
Originally Posted by protd
i ran a manual in a xd with about 550hp i ran 15x10.5x26 slicks i could leave the line at almost 7 grand i never tried street radials but so i cant comment on them.. nothing is gospal what works 4 me might not work for others.. i'm not sayin ur not doing it right u know how ur car works.. my 60's were low 1.6's and i used a line lock and used 3rd then let the line lock off once i got it into 3rd gear...
I do 1.6's now on the M/T 15x10x26, I side step it at anywhere from 6000-7000, dosent seem to make much difference between those revs.A big burnout dosent make any difference to them,I still turn them though.
But the ET radials are not a wrinkle wall slick,if you side step those with that power you'll smoke em and go no where.
But on Stavs wagon he will have no trouble with em.