Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 20-11-2020, 02:41 PM   #7801
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Agreed, but rather than admit that was the reasoning behind that belief, Spurrier just brushed the questioning off by suggesting they meant it was unique in its origins, not the actual strain.
I think if a person in her position starts to gauge a virus on the word of some random on their actions and not on the actual science and this leads her to suggest a full state lockdown is necessary, she should be more forthcoming in admitting she got it wrong as lots of scientists have said there was nothing unique about it.
I've been a staunch believer in her abilities but she was all over the place today and failed to give concise answers, the conduct of someone in defence mode.

I guess thats the price when science and politics collide..
SA Health awaits your job application
4 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2020, 02:55 PM   #7802
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
[B][COLOR=seagreen]
Other notable points:
Global cases pass 57M with the last 1M taking 1 day;
That's a scary statistic, in anyone's language. Are you still tracking the number of days to reach the next million milestone, Russ? That would be an interesting graph to see.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 20-11-2020, 03:23 PM   #7803
mostly_broncos

where I live we have had a few hundred thousand "cases" but I don't know anyone with it currently or who had it * Unless I count myself possibly having it in July , I got tested on July 13th after feeling like **** for 4 days . I never got any results , I stopped calling to check after 3 weeks . They lost my swabs or maybe just the results . I did feel like **** off and on for a few weeks but never found out what it was. When I realized they also forgot to bill me for the ER (probably a few thousand dollars!) visit I decided to lay low and never called again. I did isolate for 2 weeks and no one close to me got sick in that time.

Supposedly my state is doing thousands of tests per day but of all the people I know locally only 5 have been tested and only once each in the whole 10 months . They were all sick to varying degrees but all tested negative

There is some sort of reality distortion field surrounding this corona thing. The tv news is a constant scream of sheer terror but really nothing to speak of in real life to notice . Other than politicians endlessly preening their feathers on a job well done or afraid they might be held responsible so willing to shut literally everything down forever as if their job is all that matters

The behavior of the local government is bizarre . We were all told our towns were in the "red" danger zone, based on having at least 7 cases per 100,000 so one place had five cases and they locked down for weeks and it turned out they all lived in the same house! One family , testing positive with mild symptoms locked the whole place down. Last week they quietly revised the criteria for being in the red and presto we were all out of danger. miraculous recovery with the press of a button.

I feel like this present thing is all a smoke screen to cover for gross malpractice by health services and politicians in march and april where we had hundreds of deaths per day on case counts similar to what we see now with 10 or 15 deaths a day . It was wholesale slaughter in nursing homes here in the northeastern US in the spring. 30,000 dead in new york , 15,000 in new jersey , 8000 here in Mass in like 6 weeks all due to stupid policies . putting covid positive people in with uninfected people all while the politicians were quietly getting their relatives out to safety.
7 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2020, 03:30 PM   #7804
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly_broncos View Post
When I realized they also forgot to bill me for the ER (probably a few thousand dollars!) visit I decided to lay low and never called again.
I'm guessing that you're in the US. Is charging for a covid test a normal thing there? Here Covid checks are free.
Old 20-11-2020, 04:09 PM   #7805
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

here in the northeastern US in the spring. 30,000 dead in new york , 15,000 in new jersey , 8000 here in Mass in like 6 weeks
No guessing Gaso.

2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2020, 04:16 PM   #7806
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
SA Health awaits your job application
Might as well, Marshall and co. have brought my current employer to their knee's.
Old 20-11-2020, 04:28 PM   #7807
prydey
Rob

The people making decisions can only do so based on the information they have available at the time. History showed that if you sit on your hands for too long waiting for confirmation, things can escalate very quickly.

I thought the decision to lockdown was a bit knee jerk, I won't lie, but at the time the authorities were worried the situation had evolved to a very fast moving one. Can't blame them for moving fast and acting accordingly.
Old 20-11-2020, 05:04 PM   #7808
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
The people making decisions can only do so based on the information they have available at the time. History showed that if you sit on your hands for too long waiting for confirmation, things can escalate very quickly.

I thought the decision to lockdown was a bit knee jerk, I won't lie, but at the time the authorities were worried the situation had evolved to a very fast moving one. Can't blame them for moving fast and acting accordingly.
The thing is though Rob, the science as confirmed by leading scientists did not support Marshall/Spurriers narrative that this was 'a particularly nasty strain' of the virus, they just took the word of someone as fact, suggested it was rampant but without symptoms and shut the state down only to discover he lied.
If independant scientists said yep, there's a fast moving strain in SA you could excuse the knee jerk reaction but thats not the case and then for Spurrier, when directly asked to explain the inconsistency, rather than admit there isnt some super strain in the community she bumbled her way through an excuse saying they meant it was unique because it came from somwhere else.
The reality is, if you tested 10 complete strangers from 10 different global origins all with covid, you'd get 10 different results from the genomes none of which supports any of them being a super strain alone.
This user likes this post:
Old 20-11-2020, 05:31 PM   #7809
prydey
Rob

Quote:
The thing is though Rob, the science as confirmed by leading scientists did not support Marshall/Spurriers narrative that this was 'a particularly nasty strain' of the virus, they just took the word of someone as fact, suggested it was rampant but without symptoms and shut the state down only to discover he lied.
If independant scientists said yep, there's a fast moving strain in SA you could excuse the knee jerk reaction but thats not the case and then for Spurrier, when directly asked to explain the inconsistency, rather than admit there isnt some super strain in the community she bumbled her way through an excuse saying they meant it was unique because it came from somwhere else.
The reality is, if you tested 10 complete strangers from 10 different global origins all with covid, you'd get 10 different results from the genomes none of which supports any of them being a super strain alone.
Easy to be critical with hindsight.

I watched the media release and the questions afterward and it never ceases to amaze me the way journos carry on afterward. Their sole focus seemed to be about consequences for the liar rather than the easing of restrictions.

Then trying to find fault with the decision makers was next.

Where were these experts a week ago?
Old 20-11-2020, 06:18 PM   #7810
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Easy to be critical with hindsight.

I watched the media release and the questions afterward and it never ceases to amaze me the way journos carry on afterward. Their sole focus seemed to be about consequences for the liar rather than the easing of restrictions.

Then trying to find fault with the decision makers was next.

Where were these experts a week ago?
Im not being critical of the decision making necessarily, there needed to be some form of action and from my own experience i expected more cases as did many South Australians judging by the turnout to testing clinics, my issue is with the lack of accountability shown by Marshall and Spurrier and i leave Steven's out of that deliberately as clearly even he seemed confused by some of the decisions and reasonings behind them.
Its clear they got it wrong, but long before they had done the contact tracing interviews the samples would have been in the petrie dish so if some interstate scientist was able to identify it as unremarkable in nature compared to previous samples, why couldn't our locals and why cant they just admit what many independant professionals already knew.

Im sorry but it reeks of a coverup, as it turns out they put the entire state into lockdown over a conversation with someone they'd probably never even heard of before whilst obviously ignoring scientific evidence.

Personally i think there is an aspect of inflated ego's at play here, placed on a pedastal for so long as an example of how to get it right that when presented with a situation they got it wrong and now cant admit it came around so easily.

Last edited by BENT_8; 20-11-2020 at 06:25 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2020, 07:40 PM   #7811
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

many is the time I am glad I dont live in big cities, this being one of them, today heading out to my worlplace, one of the boys in blue comes up behind me, I pull up, he then yells over his speaker 'you heading to work?' I nod the affirmative. 'Your supposed to stay home but I'll join you for a beer when I finish'.
gotta love country boys.
then I see the crap that goes on in Adelaide, everybody beating everybody all putting their opinion as truth. fair go you guys are really funny, carry on the circus.
Old 21-11-2020, 12:16 AM   #7812
mostly_broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
I'm guessing that you're in the US. Is charging for a covid test a normal thing there? Here Covid checks are free.
Oh yeah at least in July the test was free but you needed to clear it ahead and it was a 3 day wait.

At the time I was on my own and I got to feeling if I didn't go in right then I wouldn't be able to drive myself later. So I go to the ER and they could test you right there , but as it turned out never deliver any results.

Any ER visit can run thousands of dollars so you need to feel like you are actually dying to go.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2020, 12:37 AM   #7813
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
That's a scary statistic, in anyone's language. Are you still tracking the number of days to reach the next million milestone, Russ? That would be an interesting graph to see.
Here is the global case growth rates and the global death growth rate charts:

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2020, 01:10 AM   #7814
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Oh yeah at least in July the test was free but you needed to clear it ahead and it was a 3 day wait.

At the time I was on my own and I got to feeling if I didn't go in right then I wouldn't be able to drive myself later. So I go to the ER and they could test you right there , but as it turned out never deliver any results.

Any ER visit can run thousands of dollars so you need to feel like you are actually dying to go.
That's ****en disgraceful. You just turn up at either the doctors or where they setup specific test sites and it is free.

Originally they were more picky about tests but these days since supply has caught up they want anyone who feels like they have symptoms to get checked out

You isolate until you get the results which is usually about a day.
Old 21-11-2020, 03:28 AM   #7815
mostly_broncos

I had to isolate for the full 14 days because I never got any results.

They wouldn't let me in the building they had a tent set up outside for corona people. They act like they had a system but it was like pre school. You sit in a tent full of sick people so I guess if you don't have it to start you will when you are done with your tent stay

They won't speak to you in person for your details they say go pick up the yellow phone and give your info. so three hundred sick people all held this phone to their face and now you want me too do the same?

After its all done they break it to you , there is nothing we can do for you actually since you seem to be able to breathe go home and rest and isolate .

Why did I even go ? If I knew how it was going to play out I would have sweated it out.

Thing is , I saw some folks that were really sick that day , gasping for air etc. I saw an old woman in a wheel chair whose BP was over 200 ! After seeing all that I was like " I got this ! " these poor bastards are really bad , I was almost ashamed I went there and slowed them down helping these other people .

After that , never getting results , but being quite sick I figured I can relax now covid is over for me. In spite of the media breathlessly pronouncing that 3 people out of 57 million cases have got it two times I like my odds.

My medicine of choice was benadryl , it seemed to help a lot , I never had a fever to speak of just savage headaches , body aches and vertigo . Benadryl put me in a coma and I caught up on netflix.

I even watched some TV from down under , secret city and pine gap mainly , and some of the wentworth of course
5 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2020, 07:55 AM   #7816
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Glad you got through it, so sorry to hear about so many in the US who did didn't.

Old 21-11-2020, 10:18 AM   #7817
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
That's ****en disgraceful.
Yep. The situation in the USA is simply dreadful. The clown in charge of the country has made zero effort to make things better. "Make America Great Agian"??? Yeah right.

Thursdays figures: 176,849 new cases, 1,970 deaths.
Yesterdays figures: 192,240 new cases, 2,065 deaths.

Things are going from bad to worse. It's almost as if the clown in charge wants the COVID situation to get well and truly out of control before vacating the house. So that he can then tweet about how bad USA is under Biden's watch.
Old 21-11-2020, 10:55 AM   #7818
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Yep. The situation in the USA is simply dreadful. The clown in charge of the country has made zero effort to make things better. "Make America Great Agian"??? Yeah right.

Things are going from bad to worse. It's almost as if the clown in charge wants the COVID situation to get well and truly out of control before vacating the house. So that he can then tweet about how bad USA is under Biden's watch.
How many deaths in Europe? Total, not each country. I'm tipping the numbers are similar or higher than USA.
Old 21-11-2020, 11:13 AM   #7819
mostly_broncos

Quote:

you weren't here in the spring 3000 deaths on 30,000 cases felt pretty bad . New york state was recording over 1000 a day and a positivity rate of 50% .

50 percent positive tests the nursing homes were slaughter houses . 2000 deaths on 170,000 cases is not a big deal . People are not alarmed about it anymore just sick of hearing about it

THe other take away is there were thousands of unrecorded cases for months .
2 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2020, 11:43 AM   #7820
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
How many deaths in Europe? Total, not each country. I'm tipping the numbers are similar or higher than USA.
360k from a total population of 750m v's the US at 250k from 330m.
When you consider the path the UK took in the early days and weeks of only isolating the vulnerable many of their deaths were preventable but those deaths were not from inaction, rather incorrect action, they realised the mistake and tried to fix it but their health system was already overwhelmed, old mate Trump just hasnt done anything.
Old 21-11-2020, 12:13 PM   #7821
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
...Any ER visit can run thousands of dollars so you need to feel like you are actually dying to go.
I'm going to be branded a communist or socialist or leftist-something, but that bit quoted above sucks and surely causes people to not seek help when they should.
Old 21-11-2020, 12:28 PM   #7822
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

4 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2020, 12:35 PM   #7823
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
To date, EU has 14.6M cases and 337k deaths while the US has 12M cases and 260k deaths but the population base is also different with 330M for the USA and 747M in Europe.

Thus, the case rates are 3,647/1000k for the USA and 1,963/100k for Europe and the mortality rates are 78/100k in the USA and 45/100k in Europe.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2020, 12:40 PM   #7824
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
360k from a total population of 750m v's the US at 250k from 330m.
When you consider the path the UK took in the early days and weeks of only isolating the vulnerable many of their deaths were preventable but those deaths were not from inaction, rather incorrect action, they realised the mistake and tried to fix it but their health system was already overwhelmed, old mate Trump just hasnt done anything.
Europe is a great example of different jurisdictions within a conglomerate achieving different outcomes. The individual decision makers are the ones in power. Look at California, a Democrat fortress. If it was only Trump, why isCalifornia such a disaster?
No arguments that he has presented a really poor example, it how much can he actually do? You would think from the media that his rallies are the only reason for the spread. The states decide their action, you could say he concentrated on “warp speed” while each state handled closures and so forth, like you outlined in UK. I know many want to hold him completely responsible, but that just is not right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
Where's your mate and his you tube clips ?

Old 21-11-2020, 01:03 PM   #7825
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:

the clown in charge has no say in what the states do, same in Australia,

come to china town don't worry about covid (Nanci Polosi)
phizer medicine will not be available until biden is president (Andrew Cuomo)
Old 21-11-2020, 01:17 PM   #7826
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
To date, EU has 14.6M cases and 337k deaths while the US has 12M cases and 260k deaths but the population base is also different with 330M for the USA and 747M in Europe.

Thus, the case rates are 3,647/1000k for the USA and 1,963/100k for Europe and the mortality rates are 78/100k in the USA and 45/100k in Europe.
I went off of Statista which suggests 358k European deaths but either way, they have done much better considering population base and density in some area's.
Old 21-11-2020, 01:22 PM   #7827
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
Europe is a great example of different jurisdictions within a conglomerate achieving different outcomes. The individual decision makers are the ones in power. Look at California, a Democrat fortress. If it was only Trump, why isCalifornia such a disaster?
No arguments that he has presented a really poor example, it how much can he actually do? You would think from the media that his rallies are the only reason for the spread. The states decide their action, you could say he concentrated on “warp speed” while each state handled closures and so forth, like you outlined in UK. I know many want to hold him completely responsible, but that just is not right.
Im not going to pretend i know too much about the US health system, but if people need to find thousands of dollars just to visit an emergency dept for covid treatment then id say that would transcend political boundary, surely a pandemic of this nature could and should be handled and funded on a federal level.
Old 21-11-2020, 01:26 PM   #7828
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Data valid as at 23:59 GMT November 20th, 2020.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

5 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR remains 3.264% while active cases rise to 1,374. NSW
and SA recorded 3 cases and WA recorded 2.

3 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.242% and active cases rise to 40.

The UK had a lower 20,252 cases yesterday. We know they are now not counting their mortalities by the WHO guidelines so we are going to ignore the CMR but even using their method they recorded 511 deaths.

Just over 196.5k new cases in the USA yesterday (a new record high) and 2,074 deaths sees CMR drop to 2.140% and active cases rise to 37.9% with the raw numbers rising and now over 4.5M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global deaths set a new daily record of 11,239 (19/11);
Brazil passes 6M cases;
North America passes 14M cases;
Europe passes 15M cases;
North America sets a new daily high for cases with 205,481 (19/11);
The USA completes 176M, India 129M, Russia 71M, UK 40M and Belarus 3M tests.

Finland (461) - 31% above the high yesterday;
Albania (836) for the 6th consecutive day;
Algeria (1,103);
Belarus (1,457);
Palestine (1,472) - 18% above the previous high;
Lithuania (2,272);
Japan (2,301);
Azerbaijan (3,169) - 22% above the high yesterday;
Georgia (3,768);
Serbia (6,254);
Ukraine (14,575);
Russia (24,318); and
the USA (196,575)

... all
recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive days.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2020, 01:26 PM   #7829
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
the clown in charge has no say in what the states do, same in Australia,

come to china town don't worry about covid (Nanci Polosi)
phizer medicine will not be available until biden is president (Andrew Cuomo)
unless they want to send their men and women off to war, then the top office can summonds people from every corner of the country for the common good but they cant defend them from a pandemic on home soil, go figure
2 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2020, 01:50 PM   #7830
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

.. and a few graphs we haven't seen for awhile.

Last 30 day case numbers for the major continents.

.. and the associated 60 day trend by continent which shows that the growth of cases in Europe is now slowing while North America continues unabated.

The cases per 100k of adult population for selected countries. The global average is just over 1,032/100k (1%) while Australia is at 154 and the USA is at 5,869 although Belgium is the worst with 5,944.

.. and the same countries but showing the mortality rate per 100k of adult population where the global average is 24.5/100k; Australia is 5.0; the USA 124.5 and Belgium the worst at 164.1/100k.

Globally, CMR continues to improve in most countries with the average now being 2.37% although Australia (3.26%), Italy (3.60%), UK (3.68%) and Peru (3.75%) are all higher than the average and the USA is only just slightly over 2%.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Closed Thread