Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Harness

After a recomendation for a harness. Recently added some horses to the clevo and there is a chance it might run a high 11. According to the rule book anything quicker than 12.00 needs a harness, so I'm on the hunt for something decent, not a $80 ebay special. What are yous blokes using or recomend? Thanks..Bruce

JG33RD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
prasac
Banned

Default Re: Harness

get a Simpson harness. they make good quality stuff
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks prasac
Old 08-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
dieseltrain79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All harnesses should have a build date on them somewhere . Not allowed to be more than 5 or 10 years old from memory ...

Ebay ones, people have been burnt buyying them , as some are OLD stock from years ago, which wont pass .

4 Point harness required . Depending on where you run, here @ Wsid they normally have some leway with street cars running 3 point factory belts ...

1991 Toyota Soarer TT - 11.72 @ 116.7mph

2004 Ford Escape XLT V6 - Family Ride .
dieseltrain79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 01:27 AM   #5
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

I got one of these RPM harnesses which are quite well priced. Either way, get one with the fat 3" wide straps......you're seat will rip out before you do

http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au...V=Primary&CDO=

TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks TruBlu, have seen those before and was thinking of getting one, do they come with mounting hardware or do you have to buy a kit with it?
Old 12-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

They usually just come with the steel tabs at the ends of the straps.....where you can fit your own high tensile bolts. There are certain rules to follow when mounting the bolts and straps.

The shoulder straps have to be within a certain angle from the back of the seat, ie: they can't go straight down to the floor in the back where the passenger feet would be......as you can imagine they won't restrain you if you hit the concrete head on.

Also, you can't just mount the bolts and washers through the floor pan or rear parcel shelf as the steel is very thin and the bolts will pull through in an accident......you need to get some thicker steel plates to fit under the floor/shelf you're attaching too. It's only about 3mm thickness from memory, but I can get you the specs if you want from the ANDRA book.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
63futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
They usually just come with the steel tabs at the ends of the straps.....where you can fit your own high tensile bolts. There are certain rules to follow when mounting the bolts and straps.

The shoulder straps have to be within a certain angle from the back of the seat, ie: they can't go straight down to the floor in the back where the passenger feet would be......as you can imagine they won't restrain you if you hit the concrete head on.

Also, you can't just mount the bolts and washers through the floor pan or rear parcel shelf as the steel is very thin and the bolts will pull through in an accident......you need to get some thicker steel plates to fit under the floor/shelf you're attaching too. It's only about 3mm thickness from memory, but I can get you the specs if you want from the ANDRA book.

What length did you get TruBlu and are they long enough to mount from rear shelf ?
Cheers
63futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2011, 01:52 AM   #9
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Yep, mine reach the rear parcel shelf no probs.

Here's a few regs from the ANDRA rule book....

Sedans quicker than 12.00 1/4 or 7.70 1/8 or quicker than 110mph:
4 point harness complying with Aust Std E35 and AS 2596.

Quicker than 130mph and you need a 5 point harness using the crotch strap.

a) belts to be securely fastened to frame (or rollcage) or a suitably reinforced mounting point.

Those anchor points I mentioned need a plate behind the frame/floor/shelf which is at least 75mmx75mm and 3mm thick (3in x 3in and 1/8in thick).

For the rear shelf (shoulder straps), I put a big plate under that from the boot side which was about 300x150 from memory. I just fixed it in place with 4 corner bolts, then the main shoulder mounting point was in the middle of that.

b) Must be fitted in manner recommended by manufacturer using hardware supplied.

c) Bolts must no be inserted through actual webbing straps. Webbing must not cross a surface sharper than a diameter of 10mm (3/8in).

d) Shoulder harness to be installed in a manner which limits upward and forward movement of driver's body. If you draw a horizontal line from the top of the drivers shoulders back towards the parcel shelf, the "optimum" angle for the straps is with an angle from the horizontal line to 10 degrees down. The "acceptable" angle is from 10 to 40 degrees below the horizontal line. They can't be mounted below this 40 degree line. Ideally the shoulder strap should be as short as possible.

You'll see some anchor between the seat and back cushion on the back seat, but you'd have to check your angles on that one. Vertically straight down is a no no.

e) where the shoulder straps join at a common mounting point, that junction shall be at least 6 inches behind the drivers neck.

f) all belts incorportating a quick release type lever should have a quick release cover or flap to prevent the buckle from being opened accidentally.

.......interesting one that as I haven't seen any of those types with a flap covering the lever.

LAP STRAPS....

If you draw a line staight down from the kink in the top of your thighs when you are seated (where the straps go), it is recommended that the anchor points be angled back between 5-25 degrees. Acceptable range is from 25-45 degrees back.

CRUTCH STRAP (for 5-6 point setups).....

Need to be mounted within 20 degrees forward and 20 degrees backwards from there the strap comes out under the seat, so a 40 degree zone.

I'll measure the length of my shoulder straps tomorrow to give you an idea of the size to reach the rear shelf.

Cheers

Old 13-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #10
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks TruBlu, greatly appreciated.
Old 13-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #11
63futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks TruBlu
Can you piggyback of your std seatbelts for the lap belt or would they have to be seperate ?
63futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #12
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63futura
What length did you get TruBlu and are they long enough to mount from rear shelf ?
Cheers
Just measured up the rear shoulder straps and from the rear mounting eyelet to the centre of the buckle which sits around around your chest area they are about 1480mm. Then from that buckle to the eyelet which connects to the lap straps there's about an extra 300mm.

Just looking at the Revolution website, they didn't seem to offer different lengths. You can get shorter ones that connect to the rollcage crossover bar behind the seat....if you have one there.

It's been a while since I had them in my XD and from memory, I think I might have used the std seatbelt anchor point for the inside lapstrap...but technically speaking, although it's an RTA approved achor point, it might not meet the ANDRA req's as above. That being said, I don't remember the scrutineers going over the harness with a micrometer.....although they were picky on many other things.

There are a few little std things they look for once you start having to get checked over before racing, but some of the more common items are:

Dipstick with a hold down sping.
Carby with dual return springs.
Oil filter setup so it can unscrew itself (use a big hose clamp holding a small strip of aluminium on the filter which pokes out & buts up agains the block).
Rocker cover breather caps that can't easily pop off.
Oil leaks of any kind!
Fuel cells in the book need to be 100% sealed off from the driver's area (spent a night spectating due to that one!!).

Old 16-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #13
old fordnut
too many fords

any pics of rear mounts? looking at fitting these in the ute

Daily driver 2: Nissan gq patrol

Project 1: XP ute, 351W, c4, 9inch

Project 2: XBGS sedan, sunburnt orange and vinyl, original 4spd, 302C.
old fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 10:45 PM   #14
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

These are the only pics I have of the harness....car was sold and building up a new one, but no closeups unfortunately.

On the rear parcel shelf I had the steel plate underneath attached with 4 normal bolts. Then I drilled 2 holes in it where the metal harness ends attached with high tensile bolts.

Here's the rear ones!!

If you had a rollcage in the ute, this is how I'd imagine them being mounted.....strapped directly to the roll bar behind the seat.

Here's a pic with the mounting harware bolt option, you need the harness ends with spring tabs.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #15
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All harnesses should have a build date on them somewhere . Not allowed to be more than 5 or 10 years old from memory ...

I got one of these RPM harnesses which are quite well priced. Either way, get one with the fat 3" wide straps......you're seat will rip out before you do

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

get a Simpson harness. they make good quality stuff

I bought a Simpson harness the other day and when I got home I realised it was too short to reach the rear parcel shelf, rang the shop I got it from and they said that's the longest harness Simpson make. Made some enquiries about the rpm harness and it turns out it will reach but the bloke told me they are only good for two years, not sure on what to do know is there another brand that make them in the length that Tublu states and are they affordable?
Old 02-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #16
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Interesting on the 2 year limit..........that sounds very short.

Here's the Revolution Racegear contact for QLD and they sell the RPM harnesses. I'd ask them about that time limit issues....

http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au...1503&SMID=1505

Old 02-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #17
xw383

I have a Willians harness. 3 inch wide straps that clip in, with an option of either latch or turnbuckle lock.
xw383 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #18
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sent an inquiry to revolution race gear and found that it's the SFI 16.1 rating that stipulates the two year replacement. It's not the manufacturer's call on this but what is set down by SFI, also had a look at my 08/09 andra rule book and it says : sedans quicker than 12.00 (1/4 mile) 7.70 (1/8 mile) or faster than 110mph (176kph); minimum of four-point harness that complies at least with Australian standard E35 and also AS2596, as stated above by TruBlu, so the way "I" read it is that if I have a harness with the SFI 16.1 rating, which exceeds these standards, then it should be ok to use them for longer than the two year stipulation. Any stewards here that can verify or clarify on the subject?
Old 16-12-2011, 01:16 AM   #19
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got the harness sorted, is there any regulation on bolt size? Couldn't find anything in rule book,, was going to use 3/8" ht bolts for harness anchoring, tabs have 1/2" hole so is this ok or what?