Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 21-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
prasac
Banned

Default Brad Brand's Ford Mustang first in the 5's on a 10.5W

Brad Brand won the war for the race for the first in the 5's on a 10.5W he powered his Twin turboed Mustang to a 5.97@242 a couple hours ago at SCSN VII in Las Vegas. was knocking on the door all meet, with a 6.02 then a 6.002. no video of the pass as of yet, but here is the 6.02 pass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH8J6zxfJxA

60' 1.058
330' 2.725
1/8 3.980
MPH 198.960
1000' 5.049
1/4 5.970
MPH 242.02

prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
prasac
Banned

Default Re: Brad Brand's Ford Mustang first in the 5's on a 10.5W

just broke his own record
60' 1.052
330' 2.706
1/8 3.952
MPH 199.910
1000' 5.015
1/4 5.942
MPH 234.04
Old 21-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
prasac
Banned

video of the 5.94 pass. thanks to GRS Motorsports for providing the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHIXyUrTXZY
Old 21-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's insane. The times are starting to get silly now. Where does it stop?
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice track too, although having an interstate running across the back of it is a little unnerving.

I remember when Victor ran his first six. That was a big deal back then. Now they've got cars running 5.9s on a 10.5W.

I can forsee a time when they make all drag racing 1/8th mile just to try and keep the speeds down.
Old 21-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownvn
Nice track too, although having an interstate running across the back of it is a little unnerving.

I remember when Victor ran his first six. That was a big deal back then. Now they've got cars running 5.9s on a 10.5W.

I can forsee a time when they make all drag racing 1/8th mile just to try and keep the speeds down.
the tyres are just so good now, as is all the electronics to help it get down the track. it's fantastic and scary just how much things are advancing.

yeah, heard a few drivers say it's a little scary about the 900ft mark. it's only been about 3 years since the first turbo car ran a 5 and that was on a big 17'' slick. now 5's and 250mph (Personett) on a 10.5 is amazing.

has been alot of accidents this year. fortunately noone has been seriously injured. the Rick Snavely crash was reminiscent of the Dallas Whyte one at WSID a few months back but Rick went over the wall.

i hope they don't change to 1/8th racing, i do love watching it, but would hate it being the only Pro Mod / Top Doorslammer action.
Old 21-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
the tyres are just so good now, as is all the electronics to help it get down the track. it's fantastic and scary just how much things are advancing.

yeah, heard a few drivers say it's a little scary about the 900ft mark. it's only been about 3 years since the first turbo car ran a 5 and that was on a big 17'' slick. now 5's and 250mph (Personett) on a 10.5 is amazing.

has been alot of accidents this year. fortunately noone has been seriously injured. the Rick Snavely crash was reminiscent of the Dallas Whyte one at WSID a few months back but Rick went over the wall.

i hope they don't change to 1/8th racing, i do love watching it, but would hate it being the only Pro Mod / Top Doorslammer action.
I think we're safe for the moment but at some stage there will be a big top end crash, someone will die and that's when they'll start looking at it. But yeah that Dallas Whyte crash wasn't good - could have been much worse though.

Victor has already hinted at it a few times in his column in the mag and they seem quite willing to put on a show at various 1/8th mile track around the place. Personally I think on of the reasons is they do better in merchandise at the small tracks than they do at the big ones.

I enjoy racing whenever I can. Yep, I prefer 1/4-mile when I can get it, but I've never knocked back an 1/8th mile track. Used to race Canberra every time it was on plus Oran as well. Nowdays Wilby is my closest, and it makes Canbarra look like Pomona. But typically I have more fun on the 1/8th than a quarter because there seems to be less ******** in dealing with the knobs that run some of the joints.
Old 21-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
prasac
Banned

Quote:
I think we're safe for the moment but at some stage there will be a big top end crash, someone will die and that's when they'll start looking at it. But yeah that Dallas Whyte crash wasn't good - could have been much worse though.

Victor has already hinted at it a few times in his column in the mag and they seem quite willing to put on a show at various 1/8th mile track around the place. Personally I think on of the reasons is they do better in merchandise at the small tracks than they do at the big ones.

I enjoy racing whenever I can. Yep, I prefer 1/4-mile when I can get it, but I've never knocked back an 1/8th mile track. Used to race Canberra every time it was on plus Oran as well. Nowdays Wilby is my closest, and it makes Canbarra look like Pomona. But typically I have more fun on the 1/8th than a quarter because there seems to be less ******** in dealing with the knobs that run some of the joints.
1/8th is fun, the ADRL guys definitely push on a great show, it's not half as exciting as 1/4 mile racing

the 1/8th country tracks seem to have a more die-hard spectator, similar to what you see in the US. they don't mind spending the $'s and coming out to watch the show. numbers in Sydney have been extremely disappointing especially for the Track Championship Series events.
Old 22-11-2011, 01:17 AM   #9
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, I could believe how disappointing the crowds were in Sydney last time I was at an event. Last event I went to at Willowbank was Jamboree and the crowd would have killed anything I've seen at Sydney recently.
Old 22-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I live not too far away .. I miss some events mainly due to not knowing
anything was on..
They don't seem to advertise as much ...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #11
michael (HYPOEB

Quote:
That's insane. The times are starting to get silly now. Where does it stop?

Was thinking the same thing mate!
michael (HYPOEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #12
prasac
Banned

the Sport Compact, APSA guys etc are good at promoting the events. they have an assortment of stuff for the whole family, stands, rides etc. i rarely see that at an ANDRA event here in Sydney.
Old 24-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #13
marcuss

Just got back from Vegas this morning. Wow, what a collection of cars. Saw Brads run and went to check out his car in the pits and he's running a big block ford with thor heads. Very nice ride. Bill Glidden was there trying to run a five on 10.5s, he started in Pro Street on Friday and couldn't get it to hook up but went back to Outlaw 10.5 on Saturday with his old hemi and top qualified with a 6.4 something, way ahead of the field. He ended up winning the class. Larry Larson was there in his street driven Pro Streeter that runs 6.90s. One of the most amazing cars i've ever seen. A few other racers that competed in the HotRod magazine challenge had their cars there too. 6 second cars that can genuinely drive on the street. Prasac, had a good look at John Michovic's (sp) car, very nice, think he went 6.1 on 280 cubes. Will post more later after i've had 3 days sleep.
marcuss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 12:45 AM   #14
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuss
Just got back from Vegas this morning. Wow, what a collection of cars. Saw Brads run and went to check out his car in the pits and he's running a big block ford with thor heads. Very nice ride. Bill Glidden was there trying to run a five on 10.5s, he started in Pro Street on Friday and couldn't get it to hook up but went back to Outlaw 10.5 on Saturday with his old hemi and top qualified with a 6.4 something, way ahead of the field. He ended up winning the class. Larry Larson was there in his street driven Pro Streeter that runs 6.90s. One of the most amazing cars i've ever seen. A few other racers that competed in the HotRod magazine challenge had their cars there too. 6 second cars that can genuinely drive on the street. Prasac, had a good look at John Michovic's (sp) car, very nice, think he went 6.1 on 280 cubes. Will post more later after i've had 3 days sleep.
sweet as, wish i could of been there this year. would have been good to see Triple B run the 5. yeah saw BG went down to OTF from PS. saw pretty much everything so i was happy. started around 5am here and went till 3pm or so, luckily it was during reasonable hours so got to see 95% of it all.

i will pop down next year be good to see the cars in person and meet up with people u chat with online/phone etc. i wouldn't mind taking my own nugget down
Old 25-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #15
prasac
Banned

couple more vids, quarter panel on the 6.0 run. in-car and on the roof of BBB's Mustang 5.94 pass. u can see in the end just how close it was. he ran a 5.94 but lifted at the 5.77 mark. the GTO got him on the light by 1/100th of a second

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Ioxm8UaZQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGpWn7Qrao8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWEoyiXFRB0
Old 25-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #16
marcuss

every second car had one of those camera's hanging off it somewhere. was waiting to see if they came off at 200mph but they all stuck!

was amazed there wasn't more crashes considering how loose some of the cars were getting, especially the 10.5 guys. over the course of the weekend i reckon the 660 reflector boxes alone got taken out a dozen times. only saw one major crash, one of the xdr guys turned hard left at half track and hit pretty hard. apparently a guy went over the wall on thursday morning but i only got there to watch the pro street shootout late in the afternoon.

this year they were running a new 8.5 class over the 1/8th. cars were all over the track.

will hopefully be back again next year, best race meeting by far, beats nhra circus by a street.

will try and post a few pics if i can figure out how
Old 25-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #17
prasac
Banned

Quote:
every second car had one of those camera's hanging off it somewhere. was waiting to see if they came off at 200mph but they all stuck!

was amazed there wasn't more crashes considering how loose some of the cars were getting, especially the 10.5 guys. over the course of the weekend i reckon the 660 reflector boxes alone got taken out a dozen times. only saw one major crash, one of the xdr guys turned hard left at half track and hit pretty hard. apparently a guy went over the wall on thursday morning but i only got there to watch the pro street shootout late in the afternoon.

this year they were running a new 8.5 class over the 1/8th. cars were all over the track.

will hopefully be back again next year, best race meeting by far, beats nhra circus by a street.

will try and post a few pics if i can figure out how
sweet as, yeah i saw the Rick Snavely crash, not good, car got airborn, went over the fence he had to be lifted out. was a great event. like u said much better than the NHRA stuff.

get a photobucket account n host the pics on there. then u can put them on here.
Old 26-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #18
marcuss

hopefully this works

http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/...kingkongbundy/

this was a fraction of the cars that were there. I took pics of anything ford related plus anything else that seemed cool.
Old 26-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #19
prasac
Banned

Quote:
hopefully this works

http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/...kingkongbundy/

this was a fraction of the cars that were there. I took pics of anything ford related plus anything else that seemed cool.
nice pics. you need to put them up individually but all good. gotta give the guys credit, the cars are kept immaculate.

Old 26-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #20
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

Lol now thats an underdrive main pulley!