Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: How to you get the best price for your new car?
Haggle for the best deal 42 89.36%
Use a car broker to get the best deal 4 8.51%
Use a car broker to get the best deal but use that to haggle further 1 2.13%
Dealing on price is out of my control 1 2.13%
Use Discount Car Websites for best prices 2 4.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Default Do you use a car broker or old fashioned haggle to by a new car?

I was wondering how many people out there use car brokers to purchase there new car or stick to the old fashioned method of haggling for the best deal?

We recently purchased a new Territory and used a car broker negotiate the deal. Must say I was impressed and surprised by the savings and the no BS way of getting the best price the same day.

Have others had the same experience or disasters?

pwr4ce is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you would find some people genuinely enjoy the negotiation process whereas others avoid it like the plague. I think brokers are a great idea but I am intrigued as to their fees and do they sway you to a certain brand etc?
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
I think you would find some people genuinely enjoy the negotiation process whereas others avoid it like the plague. I think brokers are a great idea but I am intrigued as to their fees and do they sway you to a certain brand etc?
I enjoy haggling too - its a bit of a sport, but ultimately I want the best price and have found on two occasions that taking the emotion out of the transaction a better price can be dealt.

I did once go back to the dealer with the brokers quote and got them to match it (dealer wasnt too happy about that one either - but business is business and I got the better price)

I think they get about $500 per deal
Old 22-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Yes, I enjoy the haggling bit too. Also, to me there's more to it than the best price for the new car. There's the trade-in option also to consider. Its the change over cost at the end of the day that matters most. Also I am rather picky as to which car I want to buy, how long its been sitting in the yard, factory options etc to consider.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Yes, I enjoy the haggling bit too. Also, to me there's more to it than the best price for the new car. There's the trade-in option also to consider. Its the change over cost at the end of the day that matters most. Also I am rather picky as to which car I want to buy, how long its been sitting in the yard, factory options etc to consider.
Absolutely!

I spent 4 months investigating what I wanted. Many visits across many dealers and looking at options and alternatives. Made a weighted decision from my needs and what was on offer from Ford/Mazda/Toyota in the SUV range. I knew what model and options I wanted. I did my share of haggling and got some competitive quotes from several dealers (actually had a good quote from one dealer that I would have proceeded with) and threw the challenge out to the car broker to find me a better deal.
Told him what I wanted (and not old stock). Ended up with 2 week wait on my build - so it was fresh. Came with free tint/mats/fuel and future discount options on tyres and servicing if I so choose to use.
Got exactly what I wanted at a good price (saved over 10K from the first quote that I got) without the hassle of haggling and wondering if I had been screwed.

This time I didnt have a trade, but even if I did I would have sold privately to get more than the value the dealer would have paid me.

I think in the future I would use a broker again - but again I would first do my research to make sure the deal was a good one!
Old 23-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #6
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

I did exactly what a few above have done went and looked around found what I wanted and got prices along the way but all the salesman were (insert expletive lol) so I ended up going for a broker and got best price plus they picked me up and all I had to do was arrive and sign.
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #7
BigCav
OzFalcon.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr4ce
Absolutely!

I spent 4 months investigating what I wanted. Many visits across many dealers and looking at options and alternatives. Made a weighted decision from my needs and what was on offer from Ford/Mazda/Toyota in the SUV range. I knew what model and options I wanted. I did my share of haggling and got some competitive quotes from several dealers (actually had a good quote from one dealer that I would have proceeded with) and threw the challenge out to the car broker to find me a better deal.
Told him what I wanted (and not old stock). Ended up with 2 week wait on my build - so it was fresh. Came with free tint/mats/fuel and future discount options on tyres and servicing if I so choose to use.
Got exactly what I wanted at a good price (saved over 10K from the first quote that I got) without the hassle of haggling and wondering if I had been screwed.

This time I didnt have a trade, but even if I did I would have sold privately to get more than the value the dealer would have paid me.

I think in the future I would use a broker again - but again I would first do my research to make sure the deal was a good one!

u got 10 grand off the first quote but im interested to know how much u got off your best quote etc?
BigCav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCav
u got 10 grand off the first quote but im interested to know how much u got off your best quote etc?
Down another 1500 on my Best quote
Old 23-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

A teacher I work with is in the process of buying a new car.

She used a car buying service, (I think it was the one specifically for teachers) and they took her for a fool.

The guy on the other end gave her a "best price" of 21,490 WITHOUT on roads for a fully optioned 3dr MANUAL Yaris.....

She told him where to go. She now has her eye on a Corolla for the around the same money drive away...

Never used any sort of broker or 3rd party for the purchase of a car, but I can see how some people don't want the hassle or have the time to hunt around and negotiate.

But then again, wonder how many people get taken for a ride??
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 11:57 PM   #10
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Three years ago we were ready to purchase a new Mazda SP 23 for my wife.
After listening to two different dealers trying their tired old closing phrases like "I'll give you the best deal if you sign the order now" blah blah, I went home, sat down and composed a letter of tender with the exact car and extras we wanted and e-mailed it to every Mazda dealer in Brisbane and the Gold Coast

I got an 80% reply rate and ended up buying from a Brisbane dealer at $1000 off, which was unheard of then (2005) as there was a three month waiting list on SP 23's and no discounts.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 10:04 PM   #11
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you use a car broker, word of advice is to make sure you sign a contract with all the details of the vehicle (similar to what you'd sign with the car dealer)

Know of a case whr some1 ordered a new l/cruiser sahara in a certain colour. It was a gold colour and of course there are two different golds in the colour range. The broker ordered the wrong one, and it was the crappy one of the two as well.

Imagine paying $100k for a car in a colour you really dont want.

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post