Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
Need_a_V8

Question New Fiesta vs. Mazda 2???

Hey guys.. The girlfriend is chasing a new car and she only wants something small and 2 door and we seem to be down to the Mazda 2 or the new Fiesta.

Can anyone tell me what the 2 cars share and what differs.. Any advantages or disadvantages to either including pricing and features? Even Ford vs. Mazda dealerships (will be in Adelaide)?

She only wants the basic model, and is tossing up between either white or black.

I know they share the same platform but which is ultimately the better car? When will the new Fiesta be available for a test drive?

Need_a_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If she can wait a few months the new fiesta will be out. It has already been released in Europe and looks fantastic. Is on mazda 2 platform but a bit sportier and a bit more pep. Looks fantastic. I'm not sure when its Aus release is. Obviously not too long.

Only heard great things about. Better than MAzda 2 (as it should be with another 18months development). Should be safer, Just looks great even in standard form.

A short lister for 2009/2010 COTY
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

They are both great cars, but I advise the Fiesta.

My rationale for this is to do your bit to give Ford Australia a lift! They need it.

In any case, all the best with the decision.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

go the ford support them in these tough times, even if they do keep the mazda brand.

apart from that both excellent cars from what has come through work and the fiesta feels like a better car overall.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
Need_a_V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
They are both great cars, but I advise the Fiesta.

My rationale for this is to do your bit to give Ford Australia a lift! They need it.

In any case, all the best with the decision.

GK
Yeah I agree, an extra sale for Ford is all that should be needed to convince her :p

She did want to wait for the Hyundai i20 but I don't want her buying a Hyundai.

I think the Aus release is January according to the Ford website
Old 16-11-2008, 10:19 PM   #6
icejagans
Starter Motor

from what i know the base model new fiesta comes in a 1.4l gise only. If you want the 1.6l engine then that only comes in a manual, whereas the mazda is in 1.5L auto/manual combo.
Old 16-11-2008, 10:29 PM   #7
Darthur
2003 BA XT Mercury Silver

All throughout the range it's 1.4 - Auto, and 1.6 - Manual.
Old 16-11-2008, 10:47 PM   #8
Need_a_V8

Well the gf wants manual only, so 1.6L it is. Is the 1.6L much more $$$ in the base model?
Old 16-11-2008, 11:13 PM   #9
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

I would actually recommend the Mitsubishi Colt... Great car, great price, great warranty... VERY UNDER RATED, especially the CVT, but you want a manual anyway.
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 11:49 PM   #10
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

I'd go the Mazda, then you won't have to deal with Ford dealers or their service monkeys.
Old 17-11-2008, 12:03 AM   #11
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
I'd go the Mazda, then you won't have to deal with Ford dealers or their service monkeys.

Thats a bit ruff im sure madza would have some shockers too. There has been quite a few ford dealers that have had great write ups about them in this forum.
I wait for the new fiesta for a little car i think it looks great.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 12:47 AM   #12
zetec
Zoom Zoom

ALL Fiesta models are either 1.6 Manual or 1.4 auto.

The base model 3 door Fiesta is standard as a 1.6 manual with 88kw ( a lot!!), ABS brakes, twin aribags, air con, CD player and some really funky featuers like capless refuelling, mp3/ipod input and steering wheel audio controls standard and all for $15,750. It uses only 6.1L/100km and emits 143g/km of C02. It has a 280L boot.

Mazda 2 costs the same and has mostly similar features, but has less power (76kw), uses more fuel (6.4L/100km), no audio controls on the wheel and no capless refuelling, only a 250L boot... and it's not a Ford :o)
Old 17-11-2008, 12:52 AM   #13
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
Thats a bit ruff im sure madza would have some shockers too. There has been quite a few ford dealers that have had great write ups about them in this forum.
There no doubt is or has been some but the reason I bought a Mazda rather than a Ford was largely due to the dealerships and their inability to behave like professionals who wanted to sell me a vehicle.

But is all good, the Mazda 3 I have is full of parts with 'FoMoCo' stamped on them
Old 17-11-2008, 01:31 AM   #14
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

As you noted underneath they are very similar, both at the top of their segments (why buy a yaris i don't know....). If you need to buy now, go the mazda over the older fiesta, but early next year with the new fiesta i'd go the ford.

The mazda should have better resale and perhaps sales/aftersales service but that is luck of the draw.

The ford will be better in several areas technically because its newer (as noted by other earlier), will probably be better value and if you go manual, is quite a bit punchier. It will also probalby handle a bit sharper, and in my opinion, has much more road presence than the cute, but conservate mazda.

Either way both great cars but i'd wait to at least test drive and a new fiesta unless you are in a really hurry....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 01:34 AM   #15
Need_a_V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_br_johnstone
I would actually recommend the Mitsubishi Colt... Great car, great price, great warranty... VERY UNDER RATED, especially the CVT, but you want a manual anyway.
She looked at the Colt already but im not a fan...My grandma has one so perhaps thats why. Can't have the gf driving the same car as the grandma lol
Old 17-11-2008, 01:35 AM   #16
Need_a_V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
ALL Fiesta models are either 1.6 Manual or 1.4 auto.

The base model 3 door Fiesta is standard as a 1.6 manual with 88kw ( a lot!!), ABS brakes, twin aribags, air con, CD player and some really funky featuers like capless refuelling, mp3/ipod input and steering wheel audio controls standard and all for $15,750. It uses only 6.1L/100km and emits 143g/km of C02. It has a 280L boot.

Mazda 2 costs the same and has mostly similar features, but has less power (76kw), uses more fuel (6.4L/100km), no audio controls on the wheel and no capless refuelling, only a 250L boot... and it's not a Ford :o)
Thanks mate, excellent help
Old 17-11-2008, 03:15 AM   #17
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

Hey bugger that get the 2.0L fiesta XR4. Sporty, powerful and yet fuel effcient!

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #18
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

jump onto www.redbook.com.au and compare the two side by side, from weight to accessories etc...
Old 17-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #19
Nappa
Impressive...

i'd definatlet we waiting for the WS Fiesta in Jan. The 88kw 1.6 is going to be a little banga. Also when considering the Mazda 2 or any jap built car, dont forget that they are required to be serviced 6monthly rather then once a year like the Fiesta. A great package for your GF would be a CL with the optional safety pack.

Im going to drive the WS Fiesta tomorow i willl let you know how it goes.
Old 17-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #20
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The advantages of the new Fiesta over the Mazda2 are:

- telescopic steering adjustment, not only tilt
- more power & torque
- more boot space
- rear spoiler standard
- capless refuelling
- better fuel consumption from its bigger engine

I would seriously consider the extra $740 for a 5 door too.

If you are looking at basic it will be the CL.
Old 17-11-2008, 05:07 PM   #21
300C-CRD

Last weekend papers: Holden (God forbids) Barina $13,990 driveaway, Toyota (boring but realiable) Yaris $14,990 driveaway. The new Fiester should have better sound insulation than the Mazda 2. I would go for new the Fiester as it looks heaps better. But I doubt if you can get them below $15,000 Driveaway.
300C-CRD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 10:31 PM   #22
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mazda 2 is getting an upgrade soon apparently. Article below from CarAdvice today.

2009 Mazda 2 upgrade
17 Nov, 2008

Mazda has released an upgrade for the popular Mazda2 (or Demio) in Japan today with several interior and exterior refinements aimed at extending the popular model’s appeal.

A freshened interior featuring a piano black center panel and revised seat and door trim fabrics (three in all), new alloy look gear knob, parking brake and door handles door trim and an illuminated gear shift (auto only) all of which compliment a new exterior colour, Aluminium Metallic, which brings the colour pallet to an even dozen.

The top shelf Genki model also picks up climate control air-conditioning with particle filter.

Australia will most likely see the revised model sometime in the first quarter of 2009.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 10:52 PM   #23
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_br_johnstone
Hmmm while the warranty and reliability are ok I wouldnt say they are a great car. Terrible handling and seats. CVT box is just plain annoying. Much prefer the manual.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 11:31 PM   #24
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Stay away from the Barina, they are horrible horrible cars with terrible safety ratings. Holdon tried to con my sister into buying one a couple years ago.
Old 18-11-2008, 02:39 AM   #25
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxteer
Hmmm while the warranty and reliability are ok I wouldnt say they are a great car. Terrible handling and seats. CVT box is just plain annoying. Much prefer the manual.
I find the handling quite reasonable, certainly no worse than others, although not as involving as the Fiesta... (The only thing I found better in the Fiesta, is the steering.)

I find the seats as terrible as all other small cars!!! But again no worse than any others. The back seat in particular is heaps more comfortable and spacious than the Fiesta, but the front about the same...

I can understand you on the CVT... It depends on how you drive it. If you drive it with economy and smoothness in mind you will find it brilliant. If you run a light right foot, it will give progressive acceleration without working the engine, and it will then help with fantastic engine braking, when coming to a stop... It is also magnificent on the open road, and I challenge anyone to find a auto small car that can cruise quite so effortlessly at high speed. (The Polo is about the only one I know of, with its 6 speed auto.) I regularly get 5l/100km - 7.5l/100km.......
I agree it is not much fun for sporty driving!!!!! Lol.
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 10:45 AM   #26
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Go for the Fiesta, it looks slick and saavy...not that the Mazda 2 doesn't, just the new Fiesta has a real sharp look about it. Do the nobel thing and keep Ford Australia alive, I'm don't want no FWD Falcon.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #27
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAFIA
Hey bugger that get the 2.0L fiesta XR4. Sporty, powerful and yet fuel effcient!
Depends what she wants in a car.

If it were a "bit more power" the posters girlfriend was after then the XR4 with it's 110kw motor could be an option, but at $25k it's a fair bit more cash to shell out over the base model Mazda 2 or new Fiesta, if she's looking in that sort of price range then of course there is the Polo Gti, Suzi Swift Sport, Ralliart Colt etc to consider as well.

As for fuel economy, my XR4 gets around 9.0L/100km, which for a small car, is a little thirsty .... the XR4/ST is well renowned all over the world for "liking a bit of a drink."

If it's just a small economical but not overly powerful car she's after I don't think she could go wrong with either the Mazda 2 or new Fiesta.

Remember too in this current economic climate there should be heaps of bargains to be had out there, I understand that a lot of dealers are hurting and presently selling off stock at below cost, don't get sucked in to sales people telling you porkies when you go around looking either, so many of them are "so full of it!"

I think Mazda sales are down something like 24% in the past year!
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #28
Nappa
Impressive...

today i drove the new model fiesta and i was very impressed. in the flesh it looks fantastic. And to drive it was still lots of fun. Features and looks are really special on this car. Definatley worth waiting for.
Old 18-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #29
ch33z1l
Dawn

Hey mate.
A friend of mine bought a Mazda 2 earlier this year. Not sure if its a manual, but it is in black. I think its only travel 7000kms and i think she'd part with it for roughly $16,000. She's getting rid of it as she found it lacked acceleration, and is buying a new VR 2008 Lancer.

PM if you are interested.

Cheers
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #30
barbarian
Banned

Go Fiesta, drinks less, looks classy, more power..
barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post