Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Accomodation recommendation Malaysia please

Off to Malaysia (KL) in a few months and looking for suggestions on accomodation please.

Don't need names of hotels, but would like to know where is most central to shopping and eating. Say you were going to an area/street most central, where would it be?

Basically we want central accomodation where we don't have to get on public transport to head into the hub of activity.

Thanks!

Old 14-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Accomodation recommendation Malaysia please

Join up and browse tripadvisor.com

All that you seek is there, from locals and from travellers who have done it before you.

Haven't been to Malaysia yet... so can't give advice as to locations. What I can say is that it can sometimes take me an hr to book a hotel as you need to first cross reference reviews over several booking sites, as well as cross reference location map with the address on Google maps. Only then can you get a true understanding of what you are paying for.

Cheers!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jln Bukit Bintang is where you should stay mate.

KL is practically my second home, go there a couple of times a year as my wife is from there so fire away with questions if you want info. I'll be there again end of june.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yellow Festiva, yes mate, I do that regularly. I usually spend Christ knows how many hours researching, googling, mapping, then researching again. I was in fact hoping to cut it down a bit this time by making use of other people. It takes me a lot more than an hour to book a hotel!!

Kieron, thanks very much, I have asked the question on a few forums and have been given JLN Bukit Bintang as the response all round which sounds ideal. In fact, I haven't booked it yet (chance we may head to Penang as well for a few nights), but I am leaning towards the Grand Millenium which is located on Bukit Bintang walk and I don't think we could find much more central.

When I have more questions I'll PM you! Thanks.
Old 15-04-2012, 02:23 AM   #5
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No problem falconboy, i can help you with Penang too.

One thing I will say though is try to get out to a local Pasar Malam (night market) while in KL, try the real street food at them, as well as shop. I can tell you when and where if your interested.

Oh and keep an eye out for cheap Air Asia fares if your not already doin so
Old 15-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll be in touch at some stage mate to ask you more questions probably.

Yes, we are going Air Asia with one of their recent deals. Not as cheap as they were when they first started up over here, but still ends up less than half the price of Jetstar. Bit scary really!
Old 16-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
Miss_XR6

KL - Good hotels are Berjaya times square, Westin, and the Traders (has a roof top bar with pool and all)

KL is a great city great food, markets and shopping
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All good hotels Miss XR6, Traders is great but not walking distance to the main shopping centres, except for KLCC (under the towers) but if you want more asian style shopping, Low Yat (electronics) and Sungai Wang (various) are the places to go, and great street food is close at Jalan Alor.

Whats the Royale Bintang like Miss XR6? that's in a top spot
Old 08-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thought I'd actually update this thread in case anyone else was thinking of going and wanted the same advice.

We've been to KL twice now and really like the place. There's just something about it.

Our first trip we stayed in the Grand Millennium. Nice place. Amazing entry foyer, rooms where nice without being too luxurious. Service good, internet crap (as seems to be the case in most hotels in Asia except in Vietnam) but priced at about AU$160 night. Not cheap for KL. We found the only problem was as nice as it was, there was upgrade/maintenance work being done which if you where in your room anytime during the day was a bit much. We happened to visit during Ramadan.

On our second trip this year, I asked the question first if they where doing any work. Since we somehow managed to be going again during ramadan, yes, they where doing more work. We decided to stay opposite, for about half the price, in Hotel Piccolo. Not quite as fancy, but well worth the money as it was still clean and tidy, great friendly service, with just a little bit more wear and tear on the facilities. But at about $80 or so a night, we would stay there again anytime. Around the corner from Sungai Wang, etc, nearly opposite The Pavilion and 5min to the monorail. And of course, the underground food court of Lot 10. If I drink another Iced Teh Tarik I'll start looking like one!! YUM!

If you've thought about KL, don't wait! Just be careful of the dodgy Taxi drivers trying to rip you off, however, being ripped off by a taxi is still only going to cost you a few bucks really.