Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What do you think is a better choice ? (Your personal choice)
Unleaded (91RON Octane Rated) 6 7.23%
Mid-Grade Unleaded (95RON Octane Rated) 6 7.23%
Premium Unleaded (98RON Octane Rated) 58 69.88%
Diesel 4 4.82%
LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) 16 19.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 28-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Ford-Lover1991
Banned

Default What do you all prefer for looking after your car properly ?

This page was made for peoples opinions on fuels basically the following

Unleaded (91RON Octane Rated)
Mid-Grade Unleaded (95RON Octane Rated)
Premium Unleaded (98RON Octane Rated)

LPG

Diesel

What do you think is better ?

Last edited by flappist; 08-02-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 28-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Ford-Lover1991
Banned

Default Re: What do you all prefer for looking after your car properly ?

I personally dont use anything but premium 98ron octane rated unleaded
Old 30-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Why the dislike for LPG? Its a well known fact that LPG engines do last longer under normal circumstances... Most systems are crap that is true bur the modern systems these days are far better.

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
Old 30-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
Ford-Lover1991
Banned

I have great hate for lpg because its absolute rubbish
Old 30-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
Ford-Lover1991
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pak Addict View Post
Why the dislike for LPG? Its a well known fact that LPG engines do last longer under normal circumstances... Most systems are crap that is true bur the modern systems these days are far better.

And lpg is really a bad alternative
Old 30-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #6
Ford-Lover1991
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pak Addict View Post
And as proven by acurrent affair on nine... Midgrade vs basic the midgrade burns faster than basic unleaded does so there both rubbish
Old 31-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #7
T-Pak Addict
Jim

LPG is still cheaper to run.... Better for the engine.... and I would rather drive my big Falcon than some 4 cyl crapbox from Korea....

Last run to Melbourne & back from Adelaide cost me $140, I was pretty miffed as last time it cost me just over $110... Dam Saudi LPG pricing.... Great thing about the Egas is I can do 600k between fills easy on the open road, so can plan & fillup at the cheap stations on the way over & back....

Old 31-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
Ford-Lover1991
Banned

Hold on .... Im sorry but your wrong .... LPG isnt good for your car at all... Its the worst thing for your car .... LPG isnt cheaper to run if you do the correct math if your using premium unleaded with an octane rating of 98 you need 3 to 4 times the amount of lpg to go the equivelent distance so thats one thing

Lpg burns alot hotter than standard unleaded ... The hotter a car is made to run the worse it is for it

Its more expensive to fix insted of 6 or 8 fuel injectors, & 1 fuel pump so thats something else to

If your car is one of these dedicated lpg cars like ford & molden are making well there designed for lpg but a unleaded designed car is designed for unleaded only therefor giving you maximum performance from your engine but if you run it on lpg you lose alot of "high end" power & power in general

People are lead to belive that lpg is good but its not ... Its a rubbish alternative that is pure rubbish
Old 31-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
T-Pak Addict
Jim

I think you need to update your thinking....

99% of modern LPG systems these days done lose any power.... and in fact some engines even gain power..... May I suggest you do some research before engaging fingers....

Old 31-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
BA Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford-Lover1991 View Post
Hold on .... Im sorry but your wrong .... LPG isnt good for your car at all... Its the worst thing for your car .... LPG isnt cheaper to run if you do the correct math if your using premium unleaded with an octane rating of 98 you need 3 to 4 times the amount of lpg to go the equivelent distance so thats one thing

Lpg burns alot hotter than standard unleaded ... The hotter a car is made to run the worse it is for it

Its more expensive to fix insted of 6 or 8 fuel injectors, & 1 fuel pump so thats something else to

If your car is one of these dedicated lpg cars like ford & molden are making well there designed for lpg but a unleaded designed car is designed for unleaded only therefor giving you maximum performance from your engine but if you run it on lpg you lose alot of "high end" power & power in general

People are lead to belive that lpg is good but its not ... Its a rubbish alternative that is pure rubbish

I agree with you to an extent but does the public really believe LPG usage is so much more , it is only a 20 - 30% increase in useage at the most

At the moment i am taking the head of a EA which got LPG put on at 60K and was taken out at 110k for some reason the intake manifold is full of black carbon maybe i am a 1 in a million ? as Jim stated LPG burns cleaner and it is "widely known to"

But yes that is very true more expensive to fix a set of AU injectors = $130 brand new plus a Walbro GSS342 which i had to do , which is most failing parts of a petrol power car are replaced for the big 6

Then again i guess if you know what you are doing you can rekit a gas converter it isn't rocket science after all hell i did it
Old 31-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
Ford-Lover1991
Banned

@ T-Pak Addict

Thats a load of rubbish... No lpg increases power.. Its different if its a dedicated lpg system not a dual fuel conversion because as it says om the manual use unleaded fuel only !

The Unleaded designed cars are designed for Unleaded only not some cheap alternative its bad for the motor nor does it burn cleaner it just puts a big build up of rubbish and over time the engine probs wont start due to lpg carbon build up

I dont know what people are making you think but proven lpg is bad for unleaded designed cars

As everything in a car manual would say for a lets say my Mum's EF Fairmont Ghia

Book states "Unleaded Fuel Only"
Fuel filler states "Unleaded Fuel Only"
Ford say "Unleaded Fuel Only"

It doesnt state in the book

"this engine has been designed to run on both unleaded fuel & lpg if ever you decide to convert to lpg rest assured you will have trouble free motoring"
Old 31-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
Ford-Lover1991
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Turbo View Post
I agree with you to an extent but does the public really believe LPG usage is so much more , it is only a 20 - 30% increase in useage at the most

At the moment i am taking the head of a EA which got LPG put on at 60K and was taken out at 110k for some reason the intake manifold is full of black carbon maybe i am a 1 in a million ? as Jim stated LPG burns cleaner and it is "widely known to"

But yes that is very true more expensive to fix a set of AU injectors = $130 brand new plus a Walbro GSS342 which i had to do , which is most failing parts of a petrol power car are replaced for the big 6

Then again i guess if you know what you are doing you can rekit a gas converter it isn't rocket science after all hell i did it

Nope your not a 1 in a million person to find a big build up of black carbon ... Lpg is what does it alot more than unleaded
Old 01-02-2013, 01:49 AM   #13
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess all those LPG taxis over the years were just an anomaly then... EF Fairmont Ghia's like your mum's, and all it's falcon brothers and sisters and cousins and nephews and uncles and aunties have all been tried and tested on LPG so much it isn't funny, and passed with flying colours.

Quote:
Hold on .... Im sorry but your wrong .... LPG isnt good for your car at all... Its the worst thing for your car ....
It's great to hear other people's opinions isn't it? ...bearing in mind this poll asks for people's personal choice in fuels. A more appropriate title perhaps could be "what does Ford-Lover1991 prefer for looking after other people's cars".

My personal choice is that I love having dual fuel cars. It gives me great flexibility on long trips (well over 1000km range on the highway) and I've saved many thousands of $$$ over the years. Only bummer is the loss of boot space. I'm not chasing performance, however I have plans for the ZH down the track to run dedicated gas and combine the 351 with 302 close chambered heads which will give it some zest.

Quote:
LPG isnt cheaper to run if you do the correct math if your using premium unleaded with an octane rating of 98 you need 3 to 4 times the amount of lpg to go the equivelent distance so thats one thing
If it's not cheaper to run, what were all those taxi companies thinking? Clearly they weren't watching enough A Current Affair.

By your numbers, I should be driving around with a 300L gas tank. But every time I fill up my EL or ZH I do the sums, and everytime the result is that I use around 20-25% more LPG than petrol to travel the same distance. Fine by me because it's half the price (in Melbourne anyway) and the 351 is very thirsty.

Anectodally, at oil changes I'm pretty sure my oil comes out cleaner when I use LPG. Dad has an XH panelvan (same motor as your mum's EF) that is about to bust through 500,000 kms, almost all of it on gas. While the rest of the body is crumbling around it, shambling along somehow held together with fencing wire, dirt and silent prayers, the motor itself just keeps on purring sweetly without any problems at all.

If you think LPG is rubbish, fine... leaves more for the rest of us

Last edited by chamb0; 01-02-2013 at 02:16 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2013, 02:45 AM   #14
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamb0 View Post
"what does Ford-Lover1991 prefer for looking after other people's cars"
Was starting to think that myself....

Glad some of the LPG guys have joined the party...

Tell you a little story.... Years ago I owned a EL Xcab duel fuel... I was doing security patrols at the time in a 2003 Toyota Echo 1.3Ltr 5 speed manual.. One night I twisted my left ankle and doctor said I needed to rest it for a few days... My boss said I still had to work cos he had no one to replace me... Told him, well cant drive the Echo (we had no auto cars) that if I had to work had to drive the big Falcon... He was not amused one bit but what could he do, he didnt have a choice. Was he surprised when I told him how much LPG I put in the Falcon.... It was $2-3 a night cheaper to run the falcon. I asked him to think about that for a minute as we had 7 cars in our fleet running 7 days a week.... He was blown away by how much he could save a year driving a car thats bigger, easier and cheaper to get parts for... Now a friend of mine started his own company a couple years later and he chose Commodores as his car of choice (even though I told him go Ford) all fitted with SVI LPG on my recommendation.... He has never looked back..

This user likes this post:
Old 01-02-2013, 02:47 AM   #15
marlin351

I have owned several lpg cars over the last 10 years. Lpg is fine as a fuel. My tow vehicle, a 4wd has run for 10 years on lpg and done 200 000km since the gas was fitted . This has included thousands of km in 45 deg heat while towing 3000kg. Then again run some 98 through it and it is a different vehicle.
94 bmw 540
Old 02-02-2013, 01:12 AM   #16
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

When I had a Dual Fuel car i loved LPG, it cheap hassle free motoring for 330,000km, and that was in a EF 6. It was converted when the car had done 20,000.

But whats a better choice?

In something thats E series and older and it doesnt need the RON or your not taking advantage of extra timing/ compression then dirty old 91 does the same job.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #17
Ford-Lover1991
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi-Pop View Post
When I had a Dual Fuel car i loved LPG, it cheap hassle free motoring for 330,000km, and that was in a EF 6. It was converted when the car had done 20,000.

But whats a better choice?

In something thats E series and older and it doesnt need the RON or your not taking advantage of extra timing/ compression then dirty old 91 does the same job.

Well the 98 is much cleaner for the car, it burns cleaner with less carbon build up, i get better fuel economy, it runs alot smoother even tho all my cars are low k's they like it more, i prefer it regardless of the price, & overall it looks after the car better

Lpg is a dangerous alternative

And overall i use really good plugs & leads in all 3 of my cars so thats an advantage to

They run without the slightest flaw
Old 07-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #18
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and your knowledge is based on what actual facts? LPG has a higher RON than all pump petrol and allows higher compression. the majority of LPG systems installed are low tech and therefore give the impression that LPG is inferior. with a good vapour injection or even better a liquid injection system you can get better performance that petrol.
look at the eco LPI Falcon it develops slightly more power than the standard petrol equivalent.
comparing a modern petrol engine with multipoint fuel injection to a mixer ring LPG system is like comparing an FG Falcon engine to an EA Falcon central point injected engine
Quote:

I know LPG is garbage

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 07-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #19
AU Mont
Banned

i would like to use 95, but im finding most places now only sell 91 or 98.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and you are backing this up with "facts" from A current affair . you state the case is different with factory dedicated gas cars as the engines are designed for gas. well if you did some homework before posting your uninformed non facts you would have found that from the first Ford dedicated gas car till all before the eco LPI they used the same engine with a different fuel system. these engines were designed to run on LPG that's why they were so good as taxis
Quote:
And lpg is really a bad alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford-Lover1991
I have great hate for lpg because its absolute rubbish

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 07-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #21
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

why base anything on fact when opinion will suffice? also basing a veiwpoint on the findings of A Current Affair is hilarious in itself.

LPG if installed and maintained correctly can be a fantastic fuel to use, depending on the application.

Also you will find that some injected LPG systems WILL increase HP output, so again you're wrong there.

there are so many other lines of incorrect diatribe in there that i haven't got the time to go into it. Also a little respect for those more established members who do know a thing or two on the subject would go a long way.

I noticed in another thread you also said all B series fairmont ghia's are ugly and crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford-Lover1991
The newer BA, BF etc are hideous and the overall quality of the recent ones is appauling they featured alot of hard plastic interior parts which.make it look so cheap to be honest
it's fine to have an opinion, but backing it up or basing it on fact can be helpful. Research is your friend.

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 07-02-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #22
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

AFF: Where opinion is fact
Old 07-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #23
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Re: What do you all prefer for looking after your car properly ?

What would the entire taxi industry know, after all they only ever drive 'round the block.....right?

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 07-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #24
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is this what trolling is?

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 07-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #25
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
And as proven by acurrent affair on nine... Midgrade vs basic the midgrade burns faster than basic unleaded does so there both rubbish
Old 07-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #26
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

id rather a hulk ba thread, this blokes
Old 07-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #27
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

have a read through his 33 posts, not much this bloke isnt a expert in,
Old 07-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #28
Winter XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not a bad effort, 35 posts, 10 on this thread and already making new friends lol
Old 07-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #29
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Someone get the ban stick warmed up for this troll, it's a comin'.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #30
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

100 octane e10....even better than 98 again in some regards.

My run-a-bout EL with AU motor is on gas and gets 400kms+ to 60ltrs,doesn't kill the oil as bad as petrol and makes less pollution to boot!

For a car running 98 to get near my figures which aren't nothing to rave about they would need to get over 800kms to the tank around town from 60ltrs of 98.
Good luck getting that in the city with a near two tonne car.

As for the safe remarks you would have more chance hurting yourself each time you fill the car up with petrol than riding in a "grenade" LPG vehicle.
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
FG inlet and exhaust manifolds
Closed Thread