Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-12-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
Casablanca
carburettor

Default Just thought id ask...

hey guys just wondering,

i was in my old mans 351 GT taking it down to get some work done and didnt realise that the speedo was out due to different wheel sizing on it cop caught me doing 7 over the speed limit but on the speedo it said i was doing less than the speed limit. my old man understood but i dont want to lose the points is there any way of proving that the car's speedo was out and to my knowledge i wasnt speeding?

HSV Team shirt..... $65
Tank of Fuel....$75
Being cornered by a 17 year old bogan with 2 kids and no teeth telling you how much she loves HSV's..... Priceless
Casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

it is possible to prove it was out, but if the tyres are not standard as per the manufacturer then you got no hope of getting out of it.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casablanca
hey guys just wondering,

i was in my old mans 351 GT taking it down to get some work done and didnt realise that the speedo was out due to different wheel sizing on it cop caught me doing 7 over the speed limit but on the speedo it said i was doing less than the speed limit. my old man understood but i dont want to lose the points is there any way of proving that the car's speedo was out and to my knowledge i wasnt speeding?
As stated many times in many different threads you can't get out of it if you were in fact speeding. Weather you knew or not.

However, Your best thing to do would b writing to the appeals board (or whatever it is) and admit that you did the wrong thing and give them evidence that the speedo is ou and they may possibly reduece it just a warning.

You won't get the fine revoked if your speedo was out, because you actually could be worse off if thats the case because from memory the speedo is a major component of a roadworty.

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
scoupedy

ignorance is not an excuse,
Brand new cars speedo's are out and you still have to suck it and see
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 07:28 PM   #5
red_hotxr6
Banned

So not only were you speeding but you were also aware that the tyres were the wrong size...hmmm and you want to get out of it....
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 08:42 PM   #6
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate it'll probably bring more trouble than good. It's not necessarily fair (i'm sure most people in this thread will drill you for it, though many drive their cars that way as it's common), but if you tell the greater powers that be, that you knew the car is un-roadworthy and still drove it, hence getting the fine you may be slammed for it.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 09:54 PM   #7
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
hey guys just wondering,

Your in Vic arn't you ? your best bet of getting out of it would be to write a letter if you haven't had any fines for a few years

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 10:59 PM   #8
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

similar thing happened to me a while back, i took the car to an auto instrument place and they used GPS to find out the cars speedo was out. They then wrote me a letter which i took to court and the judge dismissed the fine. A - nobody has to know you have different wheels, its only a speeding fine not Crime Scene Investigation and B - it was a year or so back so things might have changed, if your a young guy who looks like a hoon then chances are your gone but i say if your decent looking and speak the truth and it was an honest mistake the letter should fix things up
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2007, 02:44 AM   #9
theunfairadvant

Try Aussie Speeding Fines as they have got good info on what to say and do when
you got fines.
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2007, 04:11 AM   #10
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
hey guys just wondering,

this happened to a mate i a work vehical over here in wa
yer they let him of from the speeding ticket
but slapped the vehical with a work order ( yellow sticker ) ended up costin lots of $
ok was a work vehical , but if your old mans car get this treatment ??
and isnt 7 ks somthin like $50 no points ??

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2007, 10:06 AM   #11
Casablanca
carburettor

no he still whacked me with 150 bucks and i only found out that the wheels were bigger after i got back and told him what happened plus how are you supposed to gauge you are speeding if your speedo doesnt work properly it is not ignorance just annoying the fact that it was so slightly over this isnt a rant its just trying to figure out what i can do to not get my old man in a crap load of trouble.
HSV Team shirt..... $65
Tank of Fuel....$75
Being cornered by a 17 year old bogan with 2 kids and no teeth telling you how much she loves HSV's..... Priceless
Old 12-12-2007, 10:11 AM   #12
Casablanca
carburettor

and another thing i live in qld so i have no idea how strict this sort of stuff is, the cop was being an *** even though i was very polite and produced everything he wanted to see when he wanted to i also cooperated fully but he was just plain stupid musta been having a bad day. and that doesnt bode well for me. one more thing there was a truck next to me that was slowly overtaking and obviously speeding (if i was) and actually made him stop just to pull me over.
wtf that really isnt fair
HSV Team shirt..... $65
Tank of Fuel....$75