Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 23-07-2020, 10:57 AM   #1
ant0ny
Starter Motor

Default 2.0 Zetec Thermo Fan Switch

I Just bought a LR Focus for the missus to drive with a leaking Clutch Slave. While replacing the slave I noticed the Thermo Fan Switch zip tied to the battery box.

Thinking that maybe it was redundant and some wiring had been done I ran the car for a bit and the thermo fans didn't come on but do when the aircon is on.

I got my heat gun and heated up the switch and bam... the fans are on.

Looking at the radiator and the hoses and Thermostat block there is no place to screw this into.

My assumption is someone replaced the radiator with a different one and there is no hole the the thermo switch so they just plugged it into the loom and zip tied it out of the way.

Anyone have suggestions where to install this then??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG20200723105255.jpg (49.1 KB, 7 views)
ant0ny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2020, 11:52 AM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2.0 Zetec Thermo Fan Switch

there should be a brass sensor near the upper radiator hose on the engine block that your unit goes into. It is a fairly flat round one so hard to spot.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2020, 12:12 PM   #3
ant0ny
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
there should be a brass sensor near the upper radiator hose on the engine block that your unit goes into. It is a fairly flat round one so hard to spot.

I just had a look and nothing on the exhaust face or Gearbox face of the head. I cant quite see behind the coilpac bracket but it doesn't look like anything there.

I didn't realize fords had these Temp Resistor things in the fan shroud. It looks like there is one there but I think someone has rewired the loom and run to this Fan Switch but gave up.

I am thinking just to put it in the top radiator hose with one of those inline hose units.
Old 29-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #4
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

later models has a more complex thermo switch than a simple bi metal sender in the block/thermostat housing
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2020, 03:31 PM   #5
ant0ny
Starter Motor

Modded a inline SAAS temp sensor housing to take a smaller sized Temp Switch.

I wasn't 100% sure what temp range but i know the Thermostat is 89degC so I just got a 95 - 90degC switch

Changed the plug and it works perfectly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG20200731171731.jpg (89.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20200731173147.jpg (82.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20200802115309.jpg (137.3 KB, 4 views)