Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
HULK_I6T
Banned

Default HULK FRIDAY: ARE GT prices set to tumble?

Hard week at work? Need a good Hulk thread to take the edge off? More than a beer?

MY question is will the FGx XR8 result in the Prices of GT falcons to tumble?

Ive been looking on carsales and a fair few GT owners have been trying to shake the tree trying to catch a buyer to pay overs for their GT.

But with the FGx XR8 essentially being a GT AND having the enhancements of the new model falcon, its essentially better than any previous GT and at a greatly reduced price.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet??.. Arguable the FGx XR8 will smell much sweeter being a GT with new model advancements and fresh look at a price tag of mid $50ks....

My theory is GT owners will ditch their cars for the new model, leaving the market with a surplus of GT falcons available. All models too, b series and FG.. Further noone will pay near $50k for a GT, despite the model or condition when you can get the FGx XR8 for mid $50k brand spanking new!! All the GT running gear plus new model falcon enhancements and fresh look. Its also the last Falcon V8..

Are GT prices set to tumble in the next year or two?

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 10-10-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:45 PM   #2
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: HULK FRIDAY: ARE GT prices set to tumble?

Personally, I don't think two letters justify a premium. But, that's just me. I'm also not in the market nor will ever be in the market for a GT or FGX XR8
Old 10-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR8 owners aspire to own GT Falcons.
GT Falcon owners typically dont aspire to own an XR8 new or old. GT prices will not be impacted by the XR8 to any great extent.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #4
satria
FOXWHO

My heart would say GT but my head would say XR8. Usually my head wins... but not always!
Old 10-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR8 is the smarter car to buy NOW, but in twenty years people will still desire a GT, much in the same way an XW GT is worth considerably more than a XW GS.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
4 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
Sioso
irregular member

Short term, GT prices will fall.
Long term, GT prices will hold their value better.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #7
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32 View Post
XR8 is the smarter car to buy NOW, but in twenty years people will still desire a GT, much in the same way an XW GT is worth considerably more than a XW GS.
The thread is about if GT prices are set to tumble in the short term. Oversupply and better product available for sale for less.

When Xr8 is not sold anymore then market forces will take over.

I still doubt any collectibility as no more falcon, no more V8 supercars, diminishing interest, less emotive...

In 20 years if people are still talking about GT falcons Id be surprised.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:17 PM   #8
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPete View Post
XR8 owners aspire to own GT Falcons.
the presumption being that they are superior.. With FGX XR8 the GT is actually the lesser car
Old 10-10-2014, 01:24 PM   #9
MR REKLAW
BF XR8 Ute
Donating Member3

In 20 years if people are still talking about GT falcons Id be surprised.

Well prepare to be surprised.!!!
The first GT was introduced in 1967 and people are still talking about them.
The GT symbol is emotive and was and still is desirable.
As for prices,yes they may suffer initially,but a GT is still a GT and not a xr8.
If i could afford either,my choice would be a GT,regardless of pricing.
Cheers Geoff.
2006 BF MKII XR8 Ute,Shockwave Blue.

HERS New One Coming

Past Rides:- XD Panel Van,XE Panel van,XF Wagon,ED Wagon,BA Fairmont,LX Focus

Greetings Earthlings.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #10
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

What major "enhancements" will the FG X XR8 have that will sway a potential buyer to the XR8 over an older GT or R Spec GT or GTF ?
Front parking sensors and SYNC ?

Is an EDXR8 sprint more desirable than an EBGT ? Does it command and GET an additional premium over the GT

Is an FGXR8 more desirable than a B Series GT ? Does it command and GET an additional premium over the GT

Will an FG X 6T be more desirable and a more astute purchase over an older F6 ?

I'm thinking the opposite will happen. We now all know the inevitable has happened , Ford are shutting up shop for local production , the locally built GT is dead , GT owners are more likely to hang on their GT's. There is nothing similar that will fill the Blue oval void - unless Mustang tickles your fancy.

FG X XR8 will be best BFYB in a long time. I'd buy one. But I wouldnt get rid of the GT to get it.

I think people forget something important with these sorts of cars......after the hype has diminished , the dust has settled , the colours have somewhat faded , the driving passion for these cars remains in something that is intangible. Those 2 letters/numbers symbolise the memories , the passion , the colour the pomp and ceremony , the historical attachment and a tribal following of punters willing to dig deep enough to pay the premium. Only 2 models have this , the other has a 3 letter/number combo.
4 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #11
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think there will be a bit of a price drop....but mainly in the pre 5.0 S/C market. Guys who want to get a supercharged car.

Saw a nice very low km GT 40th..for under $40K a few days ago...

Why would you get out of a 335 GT to buy an XR8? Just to get some wider wheels? But who know there may be a few who would...ie dudes that lease new cars every two years...
This user likes this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #12
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've loved Falcons since being a kid (I'm 37 now), the GT name means nothing to me. XR8 on the other hand is the model I love the most.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #13
Super Roo 1970
Windsor=Screamer

Modern GTs will do what all modern GTs do, they will do the depreciation thing, same as before.
There is plenty of modern GTs around, so I dont see any changes in how they will fare value wise as the years progress and Falcon production stops. Depreciation will still kick.

Is a GT a GT - Yep
Is a XR8 a GT - Nope. Essentially like a GT doesnt cut it, just like the T series were basically a GT in everything but name, but NOT a GT.

That in my opinion will pretty much sum up how a lot of enthusiasts will think when it comes to deciding which of the 2 cars to buy. One overriding factor could be - does the buyer want new or used?
4 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #14
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

I know if I owned the new XR8 and a GT-F pulled up to me, I'd be wishing I was in the GT-F.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Old 10-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #15
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I think the R Spec and GTF are safe but a standard GT is actually going to be slower than the XR8 which is interesting. Sure, each model is quicker than the last (usually) but I still think there is enough attachment to the GT name.

I was too young at the time, but those in the know can answer; did the introduction of the XR8 Sprint result in a drop in EB GT prices at the time?
Old 10-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #16
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

IMHO it MIGHT impact GT prices in the very short term, but due the drivetrain being like for like. Overall though once the joy of new gadgets and it standing out on the road has settled being assessed back to back for desirability GT will depreciate less. Those letters FPV mean something to the modern gen and GT to the old farts. FG XR8 came out and we didn't see it suddenly killing values on BF GT's. Quick edit reading above.....aero might make it quicker and yes easy assumption it'll be quicker (was FG XR8 quicker than BF GT out of curiosity?). But yet to be proven until the pedal hits the metal.

Contextual statement: I don't own a GT or won't be buying a XR8 (i think?) so irrelevant to me

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
Old 10-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #17
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
What major "enhancements" will the FG X XR8 have that will sway a potential buyer to the XR8 over an older GT or R Spec GT or GTF ?
Front parking sensors and SYNC ?

Is an EDXR8 sprint more desirable than an EBGT ? Does it command and GET an additional premium over the GT

Is an FGXR8 more desirable than a B Series GT ? Does it command and GET an additional premium over the GT

Will an FG X 6T be more desirable and a more astute purchase over an older F6 ?

I'm thinking the opposite will happen. We now all know the inevitable has happened , Ford are shutting up shop for local production , the locally built GT is dead , GT owners are more likely to hang on their GT's. There is nothing similar that will fill the Blue oval void - unless Mustang tickles your fancy.

FG X XR8 will be best BFYB in a long time. I'd buy one. But I wouldnt get rid of the GT to get it.

I think people forget something important with these sorts of cars......after the hype has diminished , the dust has settled , the colours have somewhat faded , the driving passion for these cars remains in something that is intangible. Those 2 letters/numbers symbolise the memories , the passion , the colour the pomp and ceremony , the historical attachment and a tribal following of punters willing to dig deep enough to pay the premium. Only 2 models have this , the other has a 3 letter/number combo.
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

When the FGX XR8 is released, Explain how the R-spec BOSS 335 GT owners are going to sell them if they price them above $50k. Explain how someone will buy a GT-F for the prices people ask when you can buy a FGX XR8 for $55k

How is someone going to sell a Cobra or 40th anniversary GT for anywhere near $50k when you can buy the best ever spec (and last ever) V8 falcon for $55k BRAND NEW.

People foolishly look to the past to preduct what is going to happen to the value of modern day GT in 20 years..

Its a very very different climate...

Ford will no longer build a falcon at all!!! So interest in these cars will become less and less. There will not be any new enthusiasts, children of enthusiasts will not know what a GT is (nor will they care)

No V8 supercars participation, again no new enthusuasts, no emotive feel to the brand. (ford brand will turn into a hyundai/toyota)

New cars will attract ford enthusiasts away from the brand, Chrysler 300C might just cash in on the soon to be unloved homeless falcodore enthusiasts. This equals less and less enthusiasts, the pot of buyers is getting smaller and smaller, less demand....

New car technology is moving at a much more rapid pace, the cars are getting more advanced and technically superior at a faster rate. Todays cars will feel inferior much sooner than in years past. Like mobile phones, yesterdays phones are laughable.

Ford have built the last falcon, the best falcon feature wise, refinement, performance, comfort, it also is a great looker. Then ford left the exact same GT drivetrain in it, peeled off the GT badge and shaved $30k off the new car price.. The rational car buying public will gladly bank the $30k and leave the GT letters in the parts bin. Then they wont entertain the thought to buy an older GT that is inferior in every possible way and for anywhere near the prices of the FGx XR8.. Like I said a rose by another name will smell as sweet.

GT prices will tumble

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 10-10-2014 at 02:53 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #18
MR REKLAW
BF XR8 Ute
Donating Member3

In 20 years if people are still talking about GT falcons Id be surprised.[/QUOTE]

As i said earlier,be prepared to be surprised.

Will people still be talking about the GT in 20 years time? Yes.

Why you ask,because people have been, talking about them for the last, 47 Years they have been around.

Also because of people like yourself,who though (according to you)have had a hard week at work,can still come up with inane conversational topics,every Friday and ask the obvious.

To the more enlightened of AFF Members,who have owned a GT or still own a GT do they care if prices drop on the current model,probably not,at least they can say i have had a GT or i have a GT, not a xr8.

Yes prices will drop.
Yes they will be collectable as years go buy.
Yes i would own one.
I currently have an XR8 ute,but if i could afford it,i would gladly step into a GT,regardless if the price goes down,up or remains static,its still a GT.
2006 BF MKII XR8 Ute,Shockwave Blue.

HERS New One Coming

Past Rides:- XD Panel Van,XE Panel van,XF Wagon,ED Wagon,BA Fairmont,LX Focus

Greetings Earthlings.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #19
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

GT-P as low was $15,500 on car sales now.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #20
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter View Post
I know if I owned the new XR8 and a GT-F pulled up to me, I'd be wishing I was in the GT-F.
this
Old 10-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #21
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hard to say, but they have maintained relativity.

In January 2008 I bought a BA GT with 11,000 kms on it for $48k. The car was exactly 3 years old.

Looking at car sales you still only need around $48k to get a 2011 SC 335 GT, with low kms so affordability has remained on par, or actually improved if you allow for CPI.

However my car new in 2005 was $65k and a FG GT was $72k in 2011, so argubaly these new SC models are depreciating faster on average than their precdecessors.

As for these new GTF's being labelled collectors items because they are the "last GT" and being priced at ridiculous levels I call BS to that. The XB was the last of the GT's of its era and in the late 70's early 80's you couldn't give them away. In fact the XB was the most undesirable GT of any GT model made pre 1976.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,

Last edited by GT0132; 10-10-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #22
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Prices are always going to drop short term. Will certain models appreciate in value in the future? Perhaps, but I don't think history will exactly repeat itself for the GT. It's a different climate today, the kids aren't interested in GT Falcons like they were in the 70s- I'm not sure there's going to be a huge market for classic GTs in 30-40 years time.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #23
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Prices are always going to drop short term. Will certain models appreciate in value in the future? Perhaps, but I don't think history will exactly repeat itself for the GT. It's a different climate today, the kids aren't interested in GT Falcons like they were in the 70s- I'm not sure there's going to be a huge market for classic GTs in 30-40 years time.
Agree with that....I have 2 sons 20 and 17 plus a 17 yo step son and each don't share the passion. Just another oldies car to them.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 10-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #24
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

When the FGX XR8 is released, Explain how the R-spec BOSS 335 GT owners are going to sell them if they price them above $50k. Explain how someone will buy a GT-F for the prices people ask when you can buy a FGX XR8 for $55k

Hulk
You are mistakenly comparing a potential "GT" buyer with a Hyundai buyer who looks at things like spec and price and metrosexual Gizmo ****ery......
These cars dont play by those rules and nor do the potential buyers.

Yes - all roses smell sweet as you put it , but the stem that holds the rose is full of thorns, and the thorn in the XR8 is the fact it isnt and will never be a GT. You either get that or you dont........
Old 10-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #25
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The way I look at it. Currently GT prices are overpriced and basically will stay the same. You will stop seeing "cheap GTs" in the next couple years, because people will want to hold onto and sell them in years to come for massive profit. Well they will try to anyway. Will history repeat itself only time will tell.

Due to the GT name, people think they are worth more than what they are actual worth.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #26
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
Quick edit reading above.....aero might make it quicker and yes easy assumption it'll be quicker (was FG XR8 quicker than BF GT out of curiosity?). But yet to be proven until the pedal hits the metal.

Contextual statement: I don't own a GT or won't be buying a XR8 (i think?) so irrelevant to me
I was making the assumption that the XR8 would be faster than a standard GT as the XR8 has the R Spec running gear which should make it faster.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #27
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132 View Post
SC models are depreciating faster on average than their precdecessors.

As for these new GTF's being labelled collectors items because they are the "last GT" and being priced at ridiculous levels I call BS to that. The XB was the last of the GT's of its era and in the late 70's early 80's you couldn't give them away. In fact the XB was the most undesirable GT of any GT model made pre 1976.
That is because those post XY HO era GTs were all slow buckets of lard in stock trim that would be whipped by a three speed 245 Valiant
Old 10-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #28
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Hulk
You are mistakenly comparing a potential "GT" buyer with a Hyundai buyer who looks at things like spec and price and metrosexual Gizmo ****ery......
These cars dont play by those rules and nor do the potential buyers.

Yes - all roses smell sweet as you put it , but the stem that holds the rose is full of thorns, and the thorn in the XR8 is the fact it isnt and will never be a GT. You either get that or you dont........
If a GT is something special why do these special people that apparently "get it" try and flog em off for a profit 5 minutes after they buy them.. There are plenty of GT-F for sale barely driven off the showroom floor with a few km on them for $30-40k more than the buyer paid for them? Do they "get it" as you say?

IF you go and see these overpriced cars the GT owner will no doubt answer the door wearing a Ford GT hat and GT jacket and profess how legendary the cars are...but they are selling them after barely driving them?

These same people who "get it" as buyers will benchmark the GT against the FGx XR8 and the penny will drop.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #29
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
I was making the assumption that the XR8 would be faster than a standard GT as the XR8 has the R Spec running gear which should make it faster.
Yeah likely true round a track, but does it have launch control yadda yadda? And we're assuming the 335 tune is also the same......I know thats likely true but....never know.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
Old 10-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #30
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter View Post
Agreed, but if I was in the XR8 if be pretty happy with my $20-30k saving.

Every car goes through a cycle, some just rebound quicker than others.

The resale on the XR8 will be interesting because its the last V8 Falcon...so it in theory wont be as harsh as previous XR8's...
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Closed Thread