Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #1
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Dirty Fuel

Today was a good day untill i but 40 litres of ultimate 98 from bp in the bronco.
Left the servo 100metres up the road it stalled, started again got another 100metres and stalled. Got out and had a look in the engine bay, fuel presssure was only at 3.5 psi and looked at the fuel filter with absolute disgust.
The fuel filter had all this black particles sitting in the bottom and floating around in the fuel.
God damn the carb and fuel tank is only 2 weeks old and i got crap fuel.
So on the side of the road had to take the carby off, strip it down and blow out all the holes, put it back together.
Started it up and 5psi, yay got me home just , before it started cutting out again.
So annoyed, has anyone else had this problem, obviously the inline fuel filter isn't working too good either. Looks like im going to have to either put a better fuel filter near the tank or drain fuel system and replace fuel, car is 82 bronco.
What would you guys do?

damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #2
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Dirty Fuel

Oh i should say it was the first time i used that servo in ages aswell.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #3
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. If your sure that the crap fuel came from the BP, give the servo a call. They will give you a number to call (BP head office). The pump will be quarantined and the fuel checked, BP have an independent company guarantee the quality of their fuel so If it is bad you will get reimbursed for any parts and labour costs and a refund on the fuel purchase. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2014, 10:35 PM   #4
Itsme
Experienced Member

Sounds like the servo tanks got filled which stirred up sediments.
Complain to the servo, hopefully others would have copped the crap & also complained which strengthens your case for repair bills to your car.
I know of 3 people over the years who have done this.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Few years back now, but put my through as an insurance claim as it did a lot of damage. Injectors, etc. Insurance company then pursued the servo.
Ross 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-10-2014, 10:45 PM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Is there only 100m worth of fuel between tank and engine? What's that, 10 seconds of slowish driving at best?

Would have thought it would take a decent minute or 2 for the newly pumped fuel to mix and reach the engine.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Is there only 100m worth of fuel between tank and engine? What's that, 10 seconds of slowish driving at best?

Would have thought it would take a decent minute or 2 for the newly pumped fuel to mix and reach the engine.
it probably doesn't take long for a bronco to use whats in the fuel line.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2014, 10:53 PM   #8
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well car was fine before, i have new fuel system on it, new fuel tank, fuel lines, new filter, new fuel pressure regulator, new carby and manifold and fuel pump.
Engine is 351 cleveland in bronco, so wouldn't take long. Oh forgot to mention a bloke pulled up beside and asked if i was ok, i told him dirty fuel from bp and he said it happened to him aswell.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:51 PM   #9
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. Remembered this from when The wifes car got a load of BP water at $1.55 per litre. http://mybpstation.com/fuels/bp-fuels-guarantee/ . Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2014, 11:53 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats bad luck mate, if it was me i would be pulling the fuel system to bits(tank out too) and making sure there was no crap left in it.
maybe you can ring them up tomorrow and tell them what happened after filling up with their fuel, then if you get any evidence go and hassle them as Foxtrot3 said..
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2014, 01:58 AM   #11
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the advice guys but silly me doesn't keep fuel reciepts. Think i've learnt my lesson now, i will take fuel system out and clean it out and get a better fuel filter.
The pump sounded like it was cavitating a bit but i didn't think anything of it as this has never happened before.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:41 AM   #12
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You only got 100 meters, I don't really understand why you did not go straight back to the servo?? You would have had all the evidence right there, bit hard to go back a few days later and say you got bad fuel.

Could have gone back and filled a jerry can or what ever straight away to prove your case.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2014, 04:36 AM   #13
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yer i know, needed the car, the misses was at work, had the shopping in the back of the bronco and had a motorbike lesson at 2:15 so i only had 1 and half hours to get it fixed and got to motorbike school.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #14
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
You only got 100 meters, I don't really understand why you did not go straight back to the servo?? You would have had all the evidence right there, bit hard to go back a few days later and say you got bad fuel.

Could have gone back and filled a jerry can or what ever straight away to prove your case.
Do you just nitpick people's decisions all day long, or do you add something constructive?
Old 09-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #15
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

A number of years ago had a similar problem with the old Turbo Territory. Purchased 98 fuel from a BP (old station) and within a couple of klms it was sputtering and stalling when idling. Long story short, had it towed to my mechanic, they tested the fuel and found it was dirty/contaminated.

Contacted insurance, got a quote from the mechanic to repair/replace and within 2 days they had contacted BP, put the cost onto them and after testing a fuel sample, BP didn't hesitate to cover (no excess). They also covered the cost of a rental for part of the time. It was very easy to sort out (apart from the inconvenence) and I've continued to use BP since with no issue (just not that servo).

From memory the fuel tank, injectors and fuel pump were replaced and the rest of the fuel system had to be cleaned/flushed.

If you still have samples of the fuel, contact BP and I hopefully they'll do the right thing.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #16
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

I'd still go back to the servo today, don't really need proof of purchase receipts, there'd be footage on their security cameras of you filling the car from pump number ? at time ? & also you paying for it at the counter. As long as you can give them a close estimate of what time it was.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #17
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If not for yours then for the other users sake...please return and let them know
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
FG inlet and exhaust manifolds
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #18
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

If you paid by card then there would be a transaction record (visible on online banking or statements) which can count for a receipt if I remember correctly.
This user likes this post:
Old 09-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #19
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Yep, by law they need to provide you a Tax Invoice. If you give them the right date and time, it should be easy to find (if they are still using the system I think they are, it is easy as).

There are also meant to be filters to stop this sort of thing happening, but it's possible their site needs a visit by Gilbarco to do a full service on their pumps and possibly tanks to look into this further.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #20
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bp are very helpfull, just got of the phone to them, they are going to procede with the claim and contact me in 24 hours even though i do my own mechanical work on the car but i just have to go and get a reciept.
Will keep you updated.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #21
FORCED F6
VIC The Place to Boost

Is there anything in the market to purchase a tester for fuel?
Old 11-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #22
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Is there anything in the market to purchase a tester for fuel?
Glass jars (or test tube or beakers and syringe and pipette if you want to look scientific and risk being raided by the drug squad - get a white lab coat too :-) ) filter funnel ( e.g. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Laborator...item5d4ce76832 and very fine (0.5 micron or lower) solvent tolerant filter papers from laboratory suppliers (similar to this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/500-Whatm...item35cda9175a.

Last edited by aussiblue; 11-10-2014 at 10:47 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #23
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Labtek have the filter papers. http://www.labtek.com.au/ and [http://www.labco-online.com/[/url] Google "Labtek Filter Papers" and you will a PDF of their range or filter media and accessories.

Last edited by aussiblue; 11-10-2014 at 10:51 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #24
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

.. and this to check for ethonal levels http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-tester-t..._Tools&vxp=mtr orhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Deluxe-Fuel-...c18e35&vxp=mtr
Old 11-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #25
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Actually something this might be a better idea: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jeppesen-...item4ad9260b54
and

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/16-oz-GAT...item5405a7487f
Old 11-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #26
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

The difficult bit will be getting a good sample noting than many particle contaminates will sink to the bottom of the tank.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #27
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes i bet there would be quite a few places which sell dirty fuel and not know it. Years ago i lived in a small country town and daily driver was a xd falcon, seriously every 2 months i'd have to change the fuel filter or the car would start surging.

those testers would be a good thing to own, i'd hate to get get dirty fuel with an expensive fuel injection system.
I'm taking my tank out and going to dump the fuel so i wil get a sample from that if bp need it. I already showed them the filter.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #28
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX335 View Post
Do you just nitpick people's decisions all day long, or do you add something constructive?
So I am guessing your saying that going back to the servo would have been a bad idea?? It would have been 98% of peoples first decision I would think.

So saying to go back to the servo is not constructive??

I guess I will now be nit picking you as yes suggesting going back to the servo is actually constructive, it's probably the most constructive thing he could have done considering the OP's situation.

Glad to see he did go back and appears to be coming to a resolution.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #29
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
So I am guessing your saying that going back to the servo would have been a bad idea?? It would have been 98% of peoples first decision I would think.

So saying to go back to the servo is not constructive??

I guess I will now be nit picking you as yes suggesting going back to the servo is actually constructive, it's probably the most constructive thing he could have done considering the OP's situation.

Glad to see he did go back and appears to be coming to a resolution.
You may have actually had some valid points, if they could be deciphered amongst your attacks on the OP and delivered in a helpful manner.

Now either help the OP, or go attack someone else on another thread - oh, and learn some tact.