Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Default Ford US making better cars than Ford AUS

I hate too say it but having been on the Ford US web site it appears to me that they are getting Better cars than we do here. Have a look at the new Ford Explorer http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/tr...erior_Features

They are getting heaps more options than we get, Things like power tailgate, Dual panel sunroof, Heated and cooled front seats, heated rear seats, HID lights , My Sync, Sony sound system, Blind spot information system, adaptive cruise control, Rain sensing wipers, keyless start, Remote start which auto sets the temp inside so the car is cool or warm in winter or summer, park assist, Auto dimming rear view mirror, 110v power outlet, Power fold up 3rd row seats, rear climate control, 20" wheels and heaps more just have a look for yourself The Explorer is a much better car than the new Jeep Grand Cherokee and how much you ask $38,000 for the top of the range but you have to pay for some of the above options. It makes our Territory look very poor by comparision. I think its time Ford Aus started importing these Cars to give General motors and the rest a fair old hiding. I know a few that have brought the new jeep over the new Territory but hell i would buy and explorer over both. The new F150 Platnium is an awesome truck as well with V6 ECO Boost power for $45,000 fully optioned in a dual cab. Times are changing and we need to move with the times.

Old 13-12-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
TheyDontWantMus

Default Re: Ford US making better cars than Ford AUS

Its the way its always been.

but, when it comes to Ford, I really wouldn't want all those "features" as its just more to go wrong.
TheyDontWantMus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 12:18 AM   #3
BDA074

Have to admit that I agree. Ford US have a range to be envious about. Ford Fusion Hybrid and Taurus AWD are the picks for me. They have the range and features that we can only dream of. Their Market size is what makes it possible. Economies of scale...

Last edited by BDA074; 14-12-2011 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Grammar
BDA074 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 12:53 AM   #4
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo
I hate too say it but having been on the Ford US web site it appears to me that they are getting Better cars than we do here. Have a look at the new Ford Explorer http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/tr...erior_Features

They are getting heaps more options than we get, Things like power tailgate, Dual panel sunroof, Heated and cooled front seats, heated rear seats, HID lights , My Sync, Sony sound system, Blind spot information system, adaptive cruise control, Rain sensing wipers, keyless start, Remote start which auto sets the temp inside so the car is cool or warm in winter or summer, park assist, Auto dimming rear view mirror, 110v power outlet, Power fold up 3rd row seats, rear climate control, 20" wheels and heaps more just have a look for yourself The Explorer is a much better car than the new Jeep Grand Cherokee and how much you ask $38,000 for the top of the range but you have to pay for some of the above options. It makes our Territory look very poor by comparision. I think its time Ford Aus started importing these Cars to give General motors and the rest a fair old hiding. I know a few that have brought the new jeep over the new Territory but hell i would buy and explorer over both. The new F150 Platnium is an awesome truck as well with V6 ECO Boost power for $45,000 fully optioned in a dual cab. Times are changing and we need to move with the times.
Maybe if Ford Motor Company gave Ford Australia a comparable product development budget, we would have all those bits and pieces. But the reality is Dee-troit calls the shots and controls the purse strings and FoA makes do with what they can get for our small yet cut-throat market. This is why most car makers are gradually moving towards global platforms.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 01:10 AM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Maybe if Ford Motor Company gave Ford Australia a comparable product development budget, we would have all those bits and pieces. But the reality is Dee-troit calls the shots and controls the purse strings and FoA makes do with what they can get for our small yet cut-throat market. This is why most car makers are gradually moving towards global platforms.

Also if anyone thinks they would get American pricing on their vehicles here they would be very disappointed.
Old 14-12-2011, 01:13 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Plus the US market is much larger than our own little one ... so they have more R&D to throw at their vehicles compared to what we have hear.

as VZTRT mentioned ... US pricing of vehicles over there makes our vehicles look so over-priced for what you get.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 02:14 AM   #7
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

eaturbo..my cousin in Canada has the new Explorer LTD and its a ripper!!! When I was there in October ,I was amazed at how far advanced it is over Holden and Ford cars, here. It shouldn't be too hard too add some of the features to our Territory. Even the Fiesta/Focus/Mondeo have features that our Falcon and Territory should have.
Old 14-12-2011, 02:53 AM   #8
falcon convert

I am over in the USA at the moment USA and must say I have been quite impressed with what I have seen from Ford. No, I haven't actually driven any US Fords, but they do have a great looking range.
The Explorer and the Edge SUVs look great as does the Fusion sedan. Even the much maligned (in Australia) Taurus really looks the goods.
Te there are the monsters - the F150/250/350/450 range and the massive Expedition SUV. Even these big beasts have grown on me.
Focus is everywhere, though I think I've only seen sedans. What seems to be missing over here is a toddler - a Fiesta type car, though I may just have missed seeing one.
falcon convert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 04:18 AM   #9
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I think some people need to understand economies of scale. The population of Australia is around 22-24million. I believe there are two or possibly more cities in America with a population of around that. City. Just a city. Not even the whole state. So really, when you think about it, we have it pretty damn good here. The fact our little country has even the range of cars that we get, is pretty amazing.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #10
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

What is interesting is to see the level of quality in Ford's US vehicles and see them having applications in our market .
What is not so pleasing is knowing full well that by the time they get here, you can add at least 50% to the US sticker price..

A lot of prices on Ford UK site align with Aussie pricing, one anomaly is the Titanium Mondeo for 21,000 pounds
which would make it approx $35,000 landed here instead of Ford's price gouging $47,000 - makes you think hey.....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #11
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon convert
What seems to be missing over here is a toddler - a Fiesta type car, though I may just have missed seeing one.
Probably because most americans can't fit inside of one, but it seems australians are somehow performing the next to impossible

duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #12
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They are getting heaps more options than we get, Things like power tailgate, Dual panel sunroof, Heated and cooled front seats, heated rear seats, HID lights , My Sync, Sony sound system, Blind spot information system, adaptive cruise control, Rain sensing wipers, keyless start, Remote start which auto sets the temp inside so the car is cool or warm in winter or summer, park assist, Auto dimming rear view mirror, 110v power outlet, Power fold up 3rd row seats, rear climate control, 20" wheels and heaps more just have a look for yourself
Kings of adding GADGETS to vehicles that they don't really need making them heavier and less fuel efficient in a time when they need to be doing the opposite. Other than the electronic stuff, most of those gadgets were available in Caddys/Lincolns/Imperials in the sixties, so it's nothing much new.

I'd be far more impressed if they were mass producing cheap alternative energy vehicles with driving ranges and "refueling"(?) times similar to petrol-powered ones.

[ Oh .. don't mistake me for being anti-American; I own two American Motors Corporation Javelins and a Plymouth Fury convertible .. two dead American manufacturers ]
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #13
max_torq
From the Futura

To sell them here they need a RHD version. The conversion would be expensive.
Old 14-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #14
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_torq
To sell them here they need a RHD version. The conversion would be expensive.
LHD should be allowed, like the UK.
Old 14-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #15
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
dont be silly.. the brain dead masses let loose in LHD cars would be a bloodbath......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #16
blk6t

I visit family in the US every year and hire a mustang every year, the Fords there are a great range, the Stang has some great performance options and tech that FPV needs. Having said that, the Stang for example is full of plastic inside and is not quite as refined as a XR6 Turbo. The rest of the range you could probably compare to what Mazda or Hyundai offers in Australia.

All that aside, I don't see why Ford Aus can't have access to tech and parts out of the US and design the Falcon to suit. The Falcon center console could be replaced with the Mustang console for example and the dash.

I still love getting back into a Falcon after spending 4 weeks in a Stang, although I could very easily live with a Boss Stang in Aus....hint hint Ford!!!!
Old 14-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #17
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

falcon convert..the Fiesta is in America..I saw a few when there in sept/oct.
Pricing is about $5k LESS than here....
Old 14-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford Australia has had to compete with twice the amount of competition from the flood of imports and probably on a lesser budget, so it`s not a level playing field.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #19
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
The UK is not as isolated from Europe as we are from Asia and has no significant local industry anymore. Allowing LHD here i reckon would kill the locals with cheap asian imports on one side and $60K M5's on the otherside
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #20
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
dont be silly.. the brain dead masses let loose in LHD cars would be a bloodbath......
let them, its called Darwins law.
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #21
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think "One Ford" will really really help in this regards & bring our local products up to US & Europe spec Fords...
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #22
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Moving to global platforms and rationalising the overall number of platforms will mean that there will be more money to go around for product development. However this stuff takes time, it's no good saying "Ford should do this/import that" when products like the FG/E8 are half way through the lifecycle - they can't click the fingers and suddenly make things appear.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #23
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Moving to global platforms and rationalising the overall number of platforms will mean that there will be more money to go around for product development. However this stuff takes time, it's no good saying "Ford should do this/import that" when products like the FG/E8 are half way through the lifecycle - they can't click the fingers and suddenly make things appear.
A voice of reason!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #24
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Also if anyone thinks they would get American pricing on their vehicles here they would be very disappointed.
Unless they were willing to take US style pay. About half of what we earn...

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #25
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Rubbish...nothing focuses the mind more than being on "the wrong side of the car"...how come no other country has a problem with letting people freely drive on whatever side they like with cars from anywhere?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #26
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
I think some people need to understand economies of scale. The population of Australia is around 22-24million. I believe there are two or possibly more cities in America with a population of around that. City. Just a city. Not even the whole state. So really, when you think about it, we have it pretty damn good here. The fact our little country has even the range of cars that we get, is pretty amazing.
So what your saying is that we have to accept substandard feature cars because we have a small population when the technology is readily available within the Ford Company. When you look at the FG/SZ range, they have not really introduced anymore technology than what the SX/BA had 7 years ago and in fact we went backwards when the dropped the sunroof option from the range. I am just saying that they could have put some new technology into the FG2 or SZ to get people uptrading to new models. Even stuff like LED tailights and HID headlights would add no weight and been seen as moving the bar up plus maybe a decent sound system in high spec cars. Ford have sat on the hands and really offered nothing
Old 14-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #27
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

You make it sound like Ford is offering a state service...
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #28
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
So what your saying is that we have to accept substandard feature cars because we have a small population when the technology is readily available within the Ford Company. When you look at the FG/SZ range, they have not really introduced anymore technology than what the SX/BA had 7 years ago and in fact we went backwards when the dropped the sunroof option from the range. I am just saying that they could have put some new technology into the FG2 or SZ to get people uptrading to new models. Even stuff like LED tailights and HID headlights would add no weight and been seen as moving the bar up plus maybe a decent sound system in high spec cars. Ford have sat on the hands and really offered nothing
And who is paying for this? Ford are not going to spend more on Falcon unless they can get their investment back.

Its good business sense, nothing more, nothing less.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #29
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Ford US is now making motors that outlast the I6?

I don't think so tim.
Old 14-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #30
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Ford US is now making motors that outlast the I6?

I don't think so tim.
The 300CI I6 awhile back wouldve given it a run for its money...

And no, we don't want people driving around with LHD cars
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post