Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 2 Din head replacement for O/E AU

I've just bought a 2 din Alpine head to replace the O/E 2 din head, so as to be able to connect my iPod for travelling music. Stereo fitter said he won't do it because after market 2 din heads don't fit in the facia because of the curve.

Does this sound right and if so, does anyone have a work around, bearing in mind I am up north not in a big city.

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
EL.50
Just cruisin'

Default Re: 2 Din head replacement for O/E AU

Anything can fit. They tend to stick out a bit at the bottom, and don't look quite as good as they would if the dash was straight.

I have double din Screens in both my AU Lane, and my missus' AU Ghia...I installed the one in her car, it sits well. The one in mine came in the car, and it sits out way further at the bottom due to how it was installed. The thing is, hers basically angles down at the console due to being more flush with the dash, this is not an issue with a screen, because it folds out, and can be adjusted to whatever angle we like.

If you have a non screen double din unit, if you mounted it flush with the dash, it would always aim downwards. So you will have to have it sitting out at the bottom a bit.

I can take pics later today if you would like?
EL.50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL.50 View Post
Anything can fit.

If you have a non screen double din unit, if you mounted it flush with the dash, it would always aim downwards. So you will have to have it sitting out at the bottom a bit.

I can take pics later today if you would like?
I have attached a jpg of the box cover in regard to the screen question, and yes, any pictures you have would be very much appreciated.

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 24-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
EL.50
Just cruisin'

This is the unit in my Fairlane

It is probably more relevant to you anyway, because this is how yours will most likely need to sit.

Old 24-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
SantoAU
Defender of the faith

My local installer suggested when I enquired that he would go further back at the top so as to align the bottom. Not sure how that would affect viewing the screen though

They just get reinvented.

SantoAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
EL.50
Just cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantoAU View Post
My local installer suggested when I enquired that he would go further back at the top so as to align the bottom. Not sure how that would affect viewing the screen though
I'd rather it hung out the bottom than was an inch in at the top personally
Old 24-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This is the unit in my Fairlane

It is probably more relevant to you anyway, because this is how yours will most likely need to sit.
So, if I have this right, if it's flush at the top it sits out at the bottom.

If it's flush at the bottom it won't fit inside because the rear will be touching the top of the inside area - correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoAu
Looks are not that essential, functionality is. This is my run about car.

Quote:
I'd rather it hung out the bottom than was an inch in at the top personally
You may also have a point.

I will wait a day or two and see if anyone else maybe has an answer to this problem, if not damn the looks and I will just get it done. I actually didn't buy a 2 din for the screen, merely to fill in the hole in the dash.

Cheers Vincenzo

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 24-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
EL.50
Just cruisin'

Well its not really a problem in my eyes...Just it will either have to sit out at the bottom, or in at the top.
Old 25-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

The other option of course is a single din with an aeropro pocket underneath.

Like this

http://www.aerpro.com/list.php?pcode...KETS+&cat_sno=

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

My unit sits in a little at the top and out a little at the bottom. I'll go take a pic...
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

The mounting position...

And the view from the driver's angle.
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
robbyj
Rob

just chuck it in, it wont look that out of place. My double din kenwood headunit looks fine. Stress less.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
EL.50
Just cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverT2TE50 View Post
The mounting position...

And the view from the driver's angle.
Looks good!!

I'll take some pics of the one I installed in my missus' AU Ghia, if she is ever home in it long enough lol
This user likes this post:
Old 31-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #14
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, I decided to change to a single din head unit so I got the Aerpro in black, and bought the wiring harness to retain steering wheel control use. I will attempt to fit this over the weekend.

Most of you might be saying so, whats the big deal. Well, if all goes well this is simply all plug and play with no programming needed. Add to that I will attempt to do it all myself, may the Gods of Ford look down favourably upon me.

Will put up pictures if anyone is interested once it is done.

Cheers Vincenzo

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #15
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, I couldn't wait for the weekend so I went and found a shady spot to have a go at doing this. Let's just say the Gods of Ford were off having lunch at the time.

To summarise, bought a 2 din head to replace the OEM head so I could attach my iPod Nano for music. 2 installers both said they would not install a 2 din head because it looks crap. Spoke with retailer and swapped 2 din for 1 din head and got Aerpro facia to fit, also got Aerpro cables to retain steering wheel controls (swc).

I got everything together except I couldn't find where the (swc) plugged into the head unit. Spoke with mobile installer, he had a few spare minutes and came around and had a look. Single din head does not have input for (swc) but does have remote control. I had wired everything correctly prior to installing. He cleaned up a bit of the wiring, installed the bluetooth mic, paired the phone and head and did the final install. It wasn't worth the hassle of going back to the retailer for another head unit as the new one did come with a remote.

So, if you want to keep your (swc), check and make sure the unit has the appropriate port on the back of the head. Aerpro have done a good job of making things easy for a change over, even I could get it right.

I have pictures if anyone is interested, just let me know and I will upload.

cheers Vincenzo

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #16
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

You know the rules!

Photos or it never happened!

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #17
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OEM 2 din unit with removal tools

Original Ford OEM cable and Aerial wire

New head with Aerpro Alpine and Ford ISO cable attached.

New head fitted and in dash

Seeing the photo reminds me I have to remove the old mobile phone holder. Photos aren't that good as I had the shakes bad today - but I tried.

Cheers Vincenzo

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]