Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-02-2024, 06:14 PM   #1
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Default Purchasing car in NSW and driving back to Qld Unregistered

Lads,

I have purchased cars before from interstate and either drove them back to Qld with NSW registration (and then handed the plates to Qld transport) or have had the vehicles transported up by commercial companies.

But this time, I'm thinking of picking the car up and driving it back, possibly unregistered.

What I found in my research so far;
- Qld Permit only applies for Qld and interstate but if you leave from Qld.
- Have to apply for NSW Permit as I'll be driving in NSW but unsure if I also need a Qld permit on top of the NSW one
- To apply for a NSW permit, which I can do by submitting the forms via email (not sure how the payment works) but I'll need a NSW Customer Number which I must obtain in person from a NSW Service Centre first. Then I can apply for a permit.

Has anyone from Qld driven an unregistered car from NSW to Qld? What was the process?

Maybe I should just get it transported to Qld and be done with it?
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2024, 06:42 PM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Purchasing car in NSW and driving back to Qld Unregistered

I’ve used UVPs from NSW on journeys across multiple states. No problems, even when I nominated a bit of tourism en route.

You will need a valid Australian issued driver’s licence and (not required but helpful) a couple of other bits to confirm identity, as your NSW RMS ID will be with your Queensland address. If you’re picking up the car in Sydney I suggest the Macquarie Park Service NSW branch. It’s a convenient one for access to/from by public transport in most directions.

They are a bit quartermaster-ish with permit durations now in NSW, I suggest attaching a document as annexure, which thoroughly maps your intended journey and stops. Even add a couple of “rest days” at overnight stops. That way, any niggles are able to be dealt with inside the issued permit’s timeframe - you can always drive ahead of schedule if all is good.

Make sure the sticker isn’t hidden by the tint band, also keep the paperwork either clipped to the dash or on top of everything else in the glovebox.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2024, 06:46 PM   #3
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Picked a new truck up from QLD not yet registered, had to get a permit for each state we drove through, some easier than others

Links for all states below

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/buy...registered/uvp

https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/trans...vehicle-permit

https://nt.gov.au/driving/rego/getti...stered-vehicle

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...ehicle-permits

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/driving...ehicle-permits

https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/lice...ent-permit.asp

https://www.service.tas.gov.au/servi...vehicle-permit
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2024, 06:51 PM   #4
Sam_Boss260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’ve used UVPs from NSW on journeys across multiple states. No problems, even when I nominated a bit of tourism en route.

You will need a valid Australian issued driver’s licence and (not required but helpful) a couple of other bits to confirm identity, as your NSW RMS ID will be with your Queensland address. If you’re picking up the car in Sydney I suggest the Macquarie Park Service NSW branch. It’s a convenient one for access to/from by public transport in most directions.

They are a bit quartermaster-ish with permit durations now in NSW, I suggest attaching a document as annexure, which thoroughly maps your intended journey and stops. Even add a couple of “rest days” at overnight stops. That way, any niggles are able to be dealt with inside the issued permit’s timeframe - you can always drive ahead of schedule if all is good.

Make sure the sticker isn’t hidden by the tint band, also keep the paperwork either clipped to the dash or on top of everything else in the glovebox.
Awesome, thanks for this. So let's assume I have the Customer Number, when I apply for the UVP, I should detail the exact route I will take - will stop in Northern Beaches for the night and leave fresh the next morning and possibly stop overnight at Coffs or Grafton if I get tired. Will probably also nominate that on arrival in Qld I'll go straight to get a RWC then go straight home.

Upon applying for the UVP, is it handed over from the counter straight away and you just display the sticker and paperwork?
Old 18-02-2024, 06:55 PM   #5
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Just adding a complete check of the vehicle first so it complies with the "Vehicle safe for use" declaration form you sign.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2024, 07:06 PM   #6
Sam_Boss260

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Just adding a complete check of the vehicle first so it complies with the "Vehicle safe for use" declaration form you sign.
Getting a full MTA repurchase inspection before hand.
It's a 2017 Lexus...
This user likes this post:
Old 18-02-2024, 07:27 PM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260 View Post
Awesome, thanks for this. So let's assume I have the Customer Number, when I apply for the UVP, I should detail the exact route I will take - will stop in Northern Beaches for the night and leave fresh the next morning and possibly stop overnight at Coffs or Grafton if I get tired. Will probably also nominate that on arrival in Qld I'll go straight to get a RWC then go straight home.

Upon applying for the UVP, is it handed over from the counter straight away and you just display the sticker and paperwork?
Everything approved is handed over to you directly at the counter. They’ll either print the forms (UVP Application and safe-for-use declaration) and tell you to fill them in, or you can print beforehand and fill in yourself. The concierge might also help with printing or finding these. Photograph each page as they may not grace you with photocopies of your submission.

If you map your route on Google or Apple Maps and print/dump the page, it can be submitted as annexure when doing the paperwork in person. Where you describe the route, because there’s negligible space you write something like “Sydney NSW to Rockhampton QLD per Annexure A” - which is your clearly annotated map.
Old 18-02-2024, 07:34 PM   #8
prydey
Rob

Bought a car from a dealer in nsw many years back and drove it back to Adelaide. The dealer got me to follow him around to a mechanic mate of his, who did the paperwork that was required to get a permit to drive it home.

As mentioned by CB, they are quite strict on the duration and give you the bare minimum to get to the relevant registration place in your home state. They were only going to give me 1 day and I had to explain to them the logistics of driving back to Adelaide and the fact that the nearest dept of transport inspection facility only operated Wednesday and Thursday.

So yes, be clear with your plan as well.
Old 18-02-2024, 07:47 PM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Also, with insurance my provider has no issue with the vehicle being on a permit, they just put in whatever to fill the rego field, like “TBA” and note the VIN.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post