Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy Qantas jet lands after part of engine falls off

Plane explodes near Singapore: report
Tom Allard
November 4, 2010 - 1:23PM
A plane has exploded over Batam, Indonesia, en route to Singapore, according to Indonesian media reports and there are fears it may have been a Qantas jet.

The reports of the explosion, which occurred at 9.15am local time (1.15pm Australian time), are sketchy and the type of plane unconfirmed.

But local media are speculating that some of the debris was from a Qantas jet.

Advertisement: Story continues below
Kompas reported on its website that it "was suspected that a Qantas plane exploded in the air near Batam".

"The big explosion happened near Hang Nadim airport," the report continued, adding the plane was heading to Singapore.

It provided no sourcing for the report.

An eyewitness, Hana, told Metro TV, that she saw a plane that was on fire overhead before hearing a loud explosion.

Parts of the plane have reportedly landed in heavily populated areas in Batam and near the airport, including near a shopping centre.

Batam, in the Riau Islands, is just south of Singapore.

Comment was being sought from local transport authorities and Qantas.

More to come

Old 04-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
XRFutura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some reports are saying it was a qantas A380.

Plane crash near singapore

edit: Update, the qantas A380 has landed safely.

Past Vehicles:
2015 Ford Territory TS MKII - diesel burner
2016 Ford FM Mustang GT - The Dream Car
2007 FPV BF MKII GT - popping the V8 cherry
1997 Ford EL Falcon Futura - 6 cylinders of fury
XRFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Engine failure, no plane crash...
http://www.theage.com.au/world/qanta...104-17f49.html

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225947838707

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Crash denied

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSSDY4ME63T20101104

Qantas plane with engine trouble flies to Singapore

SYDNEY | Wed Nov 3, 2010 11:38pm EDT

SYDNEY Nov 3 (Reuters) - Qantas Airways (QAN.AX) denied reports that one of its planes had crashed on Thursday, saying a passenger flight had experienced engine trouble and was returning to Singapore airport.

"There has not been a crash," a spokeswoman said, adding that flight QF32 had been forced to shut down one engine and was expected to land in Singapore around 0400 GMT. The flight is an Airbus A380, according to Web sites tracking commercial flights.

"We are still waiting on more information," she said

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
XlR8TED

Geez, you assh0le!

I had my heart in my mouth there for a minute...
XlR8TED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #6
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XlR8TED
Geez, you assh0le!

I had my heart in my mouth there for a minute...
Yeah me too...

I thought that was it. I was thinking there was a massive plane crash and first for a Qantas plane, thank goodness it wasn't!
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Thread retiltled!

Did read: Possible QANTAS Jet Explodes Mid-Flight??

This didn't happen!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Should be re-labelled:
Qantas A380 Trent Engine has EPIC FAIL shortly after take off.

A Sydney bound A380 departed Singapore earlier today, where 6 minutes into the flight the HP turbine on Number 2 engine failed causing several items of debris to fall off the aircraft.
Now, cue the media Qantas bashing and saying it's the fault of offshore maintenance.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
MexicanBatman
Banned

Was this on the new one, I haven't read the media relase The company emailed me yet, they have several 380s and pretty much all have had some dramas, good work by the crew to bring it down safely, and yeah let's wait for the media bashing..... Good old Aussie tall poppy syndrome..
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Should be re-labelled:

A Sydney bound A380 departed Singapore earlier today, where 6 minutes into the flight the HP turbine on Number 2 engine failed causing several items of debris to fall off the aircraft.
Now, cue the media Qantas bashing and saying it's the fault of offshore maintenance.
Oh ain't that the truth,I've been watching Skynews continously playing the endless loop of Indonesians smiling & posing with bits of the engine cowling.Ashley Gillon asking the same dumb questions over & over again From the media frenzy it is apparent it is a new engine, so maintenance can't be the problem .Well done to guys/girls on the flight deck for getting the "big bird" safely to the ground.
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #11
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Photos of Engine damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGT4me
Oh ain't that the truth,I've been watching Skynews continously playing the endless loop of Indonesians smiling & posing with bits of the engine cowling.Ashley Gillon asking the same dumb questions over & over again From the media frenzy it is apparent it is a new engine, so maintenance can't be the problem .Well done to guys/girls on the flight deck for getting the "big bird" safely to the ground.
Photo's of engine damage
Old 04-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #12
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

We sailed from Batam 2 weeks ago, I am sure some of the locals will appreciate the extra sheet metal for their roofs with the onset of the monsoon season....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #13
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Photo's of engine damage
Where are all the smiling Indonesians? Oh & apologies to Ms Gillon, it is another Kiwi girl with a similar sounding ixcent, but still asking the same questions.
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #14
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Typical media reporting though....

Why dont they confirm these things before making a stupid report like this which just panics everyone??

Oh yea, why let the truth come between a good story??

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #15
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damn.

Some of the comment from the media is bloody hillarious, such as, the engine has a much power as a F1 car.....ummm BS, these engines make tens of thousands of HP.

Nevertheless a fan destruction and fan breach of the skin is seriously dangerous. Let's see what the cause of the problem is.

ltd, I guess this aircraft truly lives up to it's "Scarebus A180" rep.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Should be re-labelled:

You would obviously have a much better info then others, but why does it seem that QANTAS is having more and more issues with their planes then previously of late.

Mind you most of their planes fly with no issues.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #17
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIOWjhjC1jM
You Tube video of Rolls Royce Trent engine failing in test..
Old 04-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a scarebus, can't they just press reset like they do on all the other playstations?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #19
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
You would obviously have a much better info then others, but why does it seem that QANTAS is having more and more issues with their planes then previously of late.

Mind you most of their planes fly with no issues.
Considering the number of fleet the airline has, the number of flights carried out and the high quality staff Qantas employ like ltd it is by no accident there isn't a hull loss.

It's purely media beat-up on Qantas that gets the headlines. Where's the media scrutiny of Emirates of the near catastrophic loss of aircraft and life last year or the year before of the A340-(500-600) that dragged it's **** past the end of the runway before it took off at Melbourne?
Old 04-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #20
MexicanBatman
Banned

And to add to the above, the recent qantas issues and the above one were not pilot error like the emirates problem, I saw that plane shortly after and lol sure they are just human, but I do loads and you check recheck and confirm, then check again a couple of more times just to check, I forget the exact reason but wasn't 11000kg not accounted for... The Arab airlines are also pretty decently loaded, I mean full capacity and always near max take off weight, from what I see...
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #21
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Ok nothing untowards anyone that may work for QANTAS, but their safety in the recent past is nothing short of horrid. Ive flown numerous times over the last 3years and everytime i book a flight i look at QANTAS they are almost always more expensive. Ive always flown with Virgin and their service is fantastic and price is right. So with QANTAS, where does your money go/what does it get you?
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #22
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

Looking at the photo of the engine I might have a punt at what happened. Possibly the engine suffered a severe compressor surge which damaged the inlet fan section. Damaged blades from the inlet fan section look like they have travelled through the bypass section and ripped the outer engine casing/cowling. The fan casing retained the damage but sent it backwards to the less strengthen casing towards the rear where it seems to have ripped it apart. An explosion was heard which is common during a compressor surge/stall. Thats my theory from just looking at the photo of the damaged engine. Will be interesting to find out the result of what actually happened after the investigation.
74_XB_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #23
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde
Where's the media scrutiny of Emirates of the near catastrophic loss of aircraft and life last year or the year before of the A340-(500-600) that dragged it's **** past the end of the runway before it took off at Melbourne?
Maybe there wasn't much going on in Port headland, but there was plenty in Melbourne.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #24
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Maybe there wasn't much going on in Port headland, but there was plenty in Melbourne.

GK
I wasn't in Port Hedland back then, I was in Perth. There certainly wasn't much exposure over here in the west. What you do hear over here is every miss, near miss, incident, drama, drunk passenger, delayed arrivals and departures that occur within Qantas over the entire worldwide network.

Pathetic.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #25
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its a bit of a worry when engine parts come through the top of the wing , did`nt a similar occurence happen only recently? i dunno about any one else but i would be worrying about the law of averages, how long before something seriouse happens, there`s obviousely something amiss.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #26
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Damn lucky the debri did not rupture the fuel tank. I must say it seems Qanats got a lemon from airbus, we all know there is always a lemon in the bunch, seems they got it. If I am not mistaken this particular aircraft has had a range of issues. Send it back to Airbus and buy a 777, or 747.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #27
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not QANTAS bashing..but.......

Qantas engineers want an investigation of the carrier's entire A380 fleet following a mid-air explosion on one of the superjumbos over Indonesia.

The Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association (ALAEA) said there were serious concerns with the aircraft and it is calling for all six Qantas Airbus A380s to be examined.

Qantas has suspended all of its A380 flights around the world while the carrier investigates the cause of the blast in one of the plane's four engines shortly after departing Singapore for Sydney on Thursday.

It was forced to turn back after the engine "shut down" over the Indonesian island of Batam, raining debris onto the ground.

None of the 433 passengers or 26 crew was injured in a dramatic emergency landing in Singapore.

ALAEA federal secretary Steve Purvinas said safety was a growing concern for Qantas engineers with continued outsourcing of maintenance work.

"We know that the dramatic increase in the number of safety incidents involving Qantas jets coincides with an increase in the amount of work that is no longer carried out in-house," he said in a statement.

In the past 10 years, Qantas has shut down every in-house engine shop in Australia, he said, leading to a reduction in safety standards.

Heavy maintenance checks - which occur over the lifetime of the aircraft - on the A380s are carried out in Germany, while other maintenance has been increasingly outsourced to Singapore and Hong Kong, the association says.

"We have seen some pretty horrid results of maintenance from the overseas facilities - things that aren't reported in the press," he told AAP.

"A bigger (incident) we have seen of late is, last year they had three engines on a 747 that weren't bolted correctly to the wings and they flew ... this aircraft for a month or so after a maintenance check in Hong Kong."

And in April, a Qantas A380 superjumbo suffered two tyre blowouts on landing in Sydney, due to a problem with its brakes.

"We have approached Qantas to try to resolve (such issues) amicably but what we are forever finding is we get nothing in return other than lip service and they continue to tell us they are the world's safest airline while they ignore the concerns we have been raising."

Mr Purvinas also said just 24 licensed maintenance engineers worldwide were tasked with the job of maintaining the growing fleet of A380s, but this should be increased to at least 100 to ensure safety is not compromised.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #28
gtfpv
GT

next time you get a flight for $1 promotion in an e'mail , on any airline , or hear about airlines pleasing customers by bringing ticket prices down , have a think about that . is it fuel that has gotten cheaper , parts,taxes, airport rentals , or increases in time between services/and punjab rishki servicing your plane for 2 bucks an hour .
but they tell us that that does not compromise safety . just like my private health fund told me my knee is not part of my body , therefore i'm not covered for knee surgury .
hey but my premiums are down . yeah yeah .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #29
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
Damn lucky the debri did not rupture the fuel tank. I must say it seems Qanats got a lemon from airbus, we all know there is always a lemon in the bunch, seems they got it. If I am not mistaken this particular aircraft has had a range of issues. Send it back to Airbus and buy a 777, or 747.
The Jets come from Rolls Royce. The performance of engine internals has little to do with the way airbus has built the airframe.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 01:00 AM   #30
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
The Jets come from Rolls Royce. The performance of engine internals has little to do with the way airbus has built the airframe.
True to a certain point but Airbus had to integrate those engines to work on the airframe. The engine receives multiple inputs from multiple systems. The engine will respond to whatever inputs are commanded to it from the airframe. Rolls Royce would have designed the engines work within a set of parameters and Airbus would have provided an airframe that can match those operating parameters. If we are talking about an actual engine component failure then that cant be helped but there are probably some 300 odd different companies that produce components for the A380 and Rolls Royce is just one of them but as a whole they make up the name Airbus A380. But this might not be an internal failure of the engine. It is possible that other factors might have caused the failure of the engine.
74_XB_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post