Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Melbourne Storm stripped of premierships

Storm stripped of Premierships

NRL boss David Gallop has announced Melbourne Storm will be stripped of the 2007 and 2009 Premierships, the Minor Premierships of 2006-8 and of its 2010 competition points after confirming a series of salary cap breaches amounting to at least $1.7million over five years.

Storm chief executive Matt Hansen and chairman Rob Moodie were informed of the ruling earlier this afternoon at NRL headquarters in Sydney.

The reigning premiers were title favourites this morning sat fourth on the NRL ladder after four wins and two losses.

The club will lose all competition points earned to date in 2010 and also the right to accumulate points going forward in 2010. Competition tables will record wins and losses but the club will not be awarded competition points on the basis of any wins.

The club has furthermore been fined $500,000 and will be forced to return $1.1million in prize-money which will be distributed evenly among the other fifteen clubs.

Individual awards by players will continue to be recognised but records will be adjusted to show that the Premiership is not recognised even though the result cannot be overturned. Neither Manly nor Parramatta will assume the Premiership titles in their respective years.

The investigations have revealed the Storm maintained a dual contract system and the club has today confirmed that side letters promising extra payments were stored in a secret file at the home of the chief executive.

The accounts were structured in such a way that it would appear the commitments were not apparent to either the Melbourne Storm Board or its owners.

The NRL has uncovered breaches estimated to be in excess of $1.7million over five years, around $400,000 in 2009 and with a projected breach of $700,000 in 2010.

"While the amount itself is cause for concern, the most damning indictment is the systematic attempt by persons within the club to conceal payments from the salary cap auditor and, it would now seem certain from the club’s Board and from its owners, on an ongoing basis," Gallop told a packed press conference.

"It was through this system that they were able to attract and retain some of the biggest names in rugby league.

"In doing so they have let down the game, the players and the fans of the Melbourne Storm. Clearly there were some individuals who knew what was going on and perhaps many who did not."

In 2002 Canterbury Bulldogs were stripped of 37 premiership points and were fined $500,000 for a salary cap breach, while in 2006 Auckland Warriors started the season with a four-point deficit, played out the rest of the season under a reduced salary cap and paid out a $430,000 fine.

Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I saw this a someones Facebook status and thought it was BS, I seriously can't believe the extent that the Storm has so seriously flaunted the rules of the salary cap. Punishment fits the crime I suppose.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

taking nrl to victoria was always a bad idea. especially with funding from murdoch. kick them out & lets get back to the good old days.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Throw em out. That team is a joke, bunch of overpaid mercanaries, subsidised by the other NRL clubs. Only one local player, joke.

I always thought they were shonky, how could they possbily afford that team under the cap. They should be stripped of their franchise and have it given to a passionate Rugby League heartland like the Central Coast or Central QLD.

Even give Parra the '09 premiership, they deserve it and thats coming from a Knights fan.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
Paxton
Cobblers!

I knew something was up when the four bets were placed last night on the reigning premiers becoming wooden spooners. We (in the Shire) all know that the Sharks couldn't get off the wooden spoon position by themselves.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a storm fan i'm shattered, no points for the year and possibly next year because the must be under for next years season and if they cant more penalties.

Must be the bigget scandal in aussie sport.
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
rodderz

I'll still go fro the storm, but those responsible need to face the full force of the law, considering it's a huge tax and fraud case. Even players could face charges. Sponsors could seek compensation, plus the new stadium is opening soon with the storm being the major drawcard there. But with the rest of the season being a nonevent for them, who's gonna go?

Will be interesting to see what the list will look like in 2011. I reckon a Vic team is good for NRL to spread it's wings, sometimes too many local clubs can make it hard long term.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
exdubbleya

Nothing good will come from this. How could it take the NRL 5 years to find this? What motivation will the storm players now have for the rest of the year? Honestly, how does Gallup ever sleep at night?
exdubbleya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I was told not to long ago that NSW and Qld clubs did not want Storm to be part of the league anymore and I gather these trumped up charges and allegations and the over the top penalty is the beginning of the end for Melbourne Storm. Rubgy League in Australia will suffer with no Storm, less supporters, this in turn will mean less money. League though is already playing second fiddle to AFL and as an AFL fan it does not really bother me.
Old 22-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
robbyg
72xa

Its about time they were caught out, everyone i know were always bewilded how they could keep some of their players, im not a parra supporter but they must feel a bit cheated from last years effort and i suppose other teams and their supporters.
robbyg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #11
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archilino
The accounts were structured in such a way that it would appear the commitments were not apparent to either the Melbourne Storm Board or its owners.
Clearly there were some individuals who knew what was going on and perhaps many who did not."
Presumably those who knew of the breach included many of the players...
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #12
xa_boy

they have always been over the slary cap just get them out of the comp. Why should they be in it if they are going to came last ?
Old 22-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #13
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rugny League has always been a joke and will always be a joke. It started with super league debarkle, and as for a national competition, why bother. League will never succeed outside of QLD and NSW. It failed in SA, failed in WA and is now going to fail in VIC. Fair enough the club has done the wrong thing, but killing those premierships and now killing them this season, what incentive do the players have in training and playing and giveing fans great entertainment.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

for the love of..

all i had was collingwood and the storm.

i loved the storm.

collingwood i abandoned years ago for obvious reasons

now this? haha. This is the first time sports news has ever made me upset
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
rodderz

Wonder if any of the players will be on the footy show tonight giving thoughts on whether anyone knew, and whether they have motivation to play each week.
Old 22-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #16
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i'd guess the motivation will be minus zero, and we'll see poor performances from here on in.. not that i've watched any of the season this year.

i'm guessing they knew ;) well, a select few at least.
Old 22-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #17
burnz
VFII SS UTE

so now all the storm club has to do is place bet on the team they think will win the G/F

the team they pic lose too, other team's field your best side.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #18
robbyg
72xa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Wonder if any of the players will be on the footy show tonight giving thoughts on whether anyone knew, and whether they have motivation to play each week.

Mate i wonder how they can look their friends and family, supporters straight in the eyes to be hounest, the old saying money is the root of all evil. wish i had just a little bit more to resto the falcon lol
Old 22-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #19
rodderz

At least footy tipping will be easier!
Old 22-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #20
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This news could not make me happier . By far my most hated team in the NRL. Not the way i'd like to see them go down, rather it happen on the field, but its a pretty massive fail by who ever is in charge of this matter at the club and the punishment fits IMO.
FlipXW is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #21
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
I was told not to long ago that NSW and Qld clubs did not want Storm to be part of the league anymore and I gather these trumped up charges and allegations and the over the top penalty is the beginning of the end for Melbourne Storm. Rubgy League in Australia will suffer with no Storm, less supporters, this in turn will mean less money. League though is already playing second fiddle to AFL and as an AFL fan it does not really bother me.
The only good to come of this is that the new Melbourne Rebels Super 15 team will gain some traction. As a Rugby Fan, I'm not unhappy.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #22
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
taking nrl to victoria was always a bad idea. especially with funding from murdoch. kick them out & lets get back to the good old days.
yawn

this sydney v melbourne rivalry crap is very uninteresting. it was uninteresting 10 years ago when i lived up there for a while, really don't understand the problem some of you guys have

same could be said about the swans in the AFL
Old 22-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #23
robbyg
72xa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
At least footy tipping will be easier!

Yeh i reckon any team playing the storm now will be like a training run you would think?
Old 22-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Thats pretty interesting, the old saying goes "The answer to all questions is money". First it was Carl Williams the media was going nuts over, now it will be the Storm, the media is going to have a field day on this one.

Hopefully the Storm dies and we don't have Rugby show its ugly face ever again in this state. AFL all the way

If I was the manager of Storm, I'd forfeit all the games we don't get points for and just wait it out.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #25
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Thats pretty interesting, the old saying goes "The answer to all questions is money". First it was Carl Williams the media was going nuts over, now it will be the Storm, the media is going to have a field day on this one.

Hopefully the Storm dies and we don't have Rugby show its ugly face ever again in this state. AFL all the way

If I was the manager of Storm, I'd forfeit all the games we don't get points for and just wait it out.
You get more supporters to an AFL training session than you do to regular NRL game. Seen the stands on a Friday night at SFS. Should move it to the local park, you'd have more than enough room to fit in all the supporters.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #26
pejamas
VENMXR - 2003 BA XR6

Sorry but to any one who thinks Melbourne will be kicked out is delusional, after building the new stadium theirs no chance that they'd be kicked out.. And who cares about salary cap ********, so what they may have had 1 or 2 less people to make the cap, they still would have smashed all the NSW/QLD teams anyway
pejamas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #27
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Just a question:

Did the NRL allow the Storm to have a higher salary cap then the other teams (like the AFL does to certain teams promote the game), or was it the same as the established teams?
Old 22-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #28
robbyg
72xa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejamas
Sorry but to any one who thinks Melbourne will be kicked out is delusional, after building the new stadium theirs no chance that they'd be kicked out.. And who cares about salary cap ********, so what they may have had 1 or 2 less people to make the cap, they still would have smashed all the NSW/QLD teams anyway

If news limited, the major part or the storm pull the plug, which listening to the one of their big knobs this arvo, his not a happy camper they may struggle for dollars and the club die a natural death.
Old 22-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #29
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
I gather these trumped up charges
After hearing details I take back this statement. Now the question is whether the punishment is fair.
Old 22-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #30
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
After hearing details I take back this statement. Now the question is whether the punishment is fair.
I do belive all the punishment hasn't been handed out yet.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post