Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Default ford foundry

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/...3035_news.html

sorry if posted before, but this doesent sound right

burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

That article is from February....
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
That article is from February....
so thing changed since feb??
is the article pushing panic button??
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

I wonder if Frank Costa is offering $$$ they can't refuse?? He owns a heap of land next to Ford and is planning a 100mil development. I'm sure he'd want his hands on this if he could get it. But I doubt it.

I've looked into this and as of 4th September 2009, all is looking stable for the plant. Government officials were down there looking at the progress of the plant upgrades associated with Fords 230mil sustainability projects.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
Sprint XR8

Costa sold the Ford land in 2007 to a Queensland developer when he couldnt get it rezoned from industrial to retail. It was then resold last march to geelong buisiness operator Ian Ballis.

Quote:
Massive Op Shop Centre Planned For Ford Factory, Geelong

Monday, 23 March 2009 10:00
AUSTRALIA'S largest op shop centre - capable of being a leading tourist attraction - has been proposed for the former Ford chassis component plant in North Geelong.

Market operator Ian Ballis has paid $7.1million for the 13.4hectare former Ford site, or less than half the price paid by the vendor, Queensland-based City Pacific, two years ago.

Mr Ballis' proposal is to incorporate the 2.4hectare Ford factory building into a "one-stop shop" for second-hand clothes, antiques, furniture - and almost everything else considered too good to throw out, or worth restoring.

He said the development would be the largest second-hand market in Australia, and would capitalise on the site's huge 750-metre frontage to Melbourne Road - a thoroughfare between Melbourne and Geelong.

Op shop operators, many of which are charity-based organisations, will be able to use the facility as a storage and distribution centre, while also having a portal for attracting customers.

Mr Ballis said 60,000 cars a day passed the site on the busiest arterial road in Geelong.

Fund manager City Pacific is believed to have paid about $18million for the Ford factory site about two years ago.

City Pacific paid this price following a failed attempt by the previous owner, Geelong business identity Frank Costa, to develop the site into HomeTown, a $100 million, 41,000-square-metre homemaker centre.

That project flopped after the State Government refused to rezone the land from industrial use. Mr Ballis' proposal will not require a rezoning.

A spokesman for City Pacific declined to comment on any part of the deal when contacted by Capital Gain.

CB Richard Ellis is believed to have marketed the property.

Mr Ballis owns other second-hand goods centres, including markets in Warrnambool, Daylesford, Colac, Camperdown and Newcomb.
http://www.realestatesource.com.au/m...y-geelong.html
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
bob^
LPS

Not to mention the foundry is on a complete different site to the building mentioned above.
It is about 2km away from the manufacturing plant.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob^
Not to mention the foundry is on a complete different site to the building mentioned above.
It is about 2km away from the manufacturing plant.
Correct. The article above is talking about the old 4 Cyl plant.

I'd be more worried about Geelong Engine if I were anyone.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2009, 10:54 PM   #8
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Thanks for clearing that up.

But as I said, it's believed the Industry & Trade minister was there quite recently and all looking good. Either all is on track or things have changed in the last month.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Correct. The article above is talking about the old 4 Cyl plant.

I'd be more worried about Geelong Engine if I were anyone.
More than likely engine and casting will go as a package.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post