Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
mercury maid
Banned

Default Pontiac G8 (AKA Commodore) to be dropped after single model

http://www.motorauthority.com/pontia...uct-cycle.html

Didnt see this coming but GM is in big trouble so I wouldnt be surprised.

mercury maid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Where's the thread that was started a few weeks ago about how well the G8 was selling.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No surprise.
US is in a financial hole.
Pity. It is good for Australian motoring when an Australian designed and built car can sell overseas. It would have made Ford consider it more.
With this downturn, an export program for Falcon will never happen (not that it ever was).

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
paulvdb

The component you've all missed is that RWD is looking dead. I think we're going to end up with both Ford and GM using US FWD platforms in under 10 years. We could be looking at the last RWD platforms for Aussie vehicles right now. We'll have nothing but Camry's (Toyota flavour/Holden Flavour/Ford Flavour) to drive next decade !!!
paulvdb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

paulvdb, thats what they said in 1993. It never happened, it never will happen. The falcon has been a RWD six for almost FIFTY YEARS. Nothing's gonna change.
Old 24-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
Wally
XP Coupe

I guess it's how you interpret the news

Quote:
DETROIT — After acknowledging that there will be no replacement for the Solstice roadster, Pontiac looks like it will lose a little more excitement when the rear-wheel-drive G8 sedan goes out of production in about five years' time. According to sources, Pontiac will not get a version of the next rear-drive platform that underpins the Australian Holden Commodore. This move is indicative of a fundamental switch in direction for Pontiac, the General Motors division that just a few years ago was envisioned by Bob Lutz to be the American BMW. The deaths of the Solstice and the eventual discontinuation of the next-generation G8 will leave Pontiac with zero rear-wheel-drive vehicles.
Pontiac already sells the G5, a Chevrolet Cobalt with the ol' excitement treatment and soon will begin selling a version of the subcompact Chevrolet Aveo called the G3. Not exactly sporting propositions, those.
Limited corporate resources and fear of rising fuel-economy standards look to be the prime drivers in the return of Pontiac to the badge-engineering days. Those limited funds might also explain why the midsize G6 sedan won't be substantially updated (to match the level of refinement of the recently revamped Chevy Malibu) for about another five years.
Inside Line says: You've still got plenty of time to pick up your very own G8 — the high-horsepower GXP and the quasi-pickup-truck ST versions are still to be introduced. But you don't have forever. — Daniel Pund, Senior Editor, Detroit
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
TadKa
Wait? What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
paulvdb, thats what they said in 1993. It never happened, it never will happen. The falcon has been a RWD six for almost FIFTY YEARS. Nothing's gonna change.
yeah. they'll never go to a v6.........
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Australia's car industry is looking worse now, i don't see the falcon going overseas at all now.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hardly surprising news, it hasnt sold well and isn't real profitable either.

From our perspective exporting is only good if you make money from it.

This could be the last nail in the commodores coffin too.... they rely on the G8 volume for production efficiencies.

Old 24-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #10
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Holden will still have Middle east and SE Asia sales to keep them going. They are speculating what might happen in 5 years time, Holden may yet keep the Zeta platform and just update it in which case LHD will still be in mind, it would probably up to GM whether they want to keep importing it or not. I would think they are more focused on reviving direct GM models rather then overseas imports.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #11
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
Holden will still have Middle east and SE Asia sales to keep them going. They are speculating what might happen in 5 years time, Holden may yet keep the Zeta platform and just update it in which case LHD will still be in mind, it would probably up to GM whether they want to keep importing it or not. I would think they are more focused on reviving direct GM models rather then overseas imports.
Is the Statesman a bigger seller in the Mid East than the swb models? I don't think Mid-East sales could soak up enough production volume to compensate any end to US sales.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 07:57 PM   #12
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
Isn't the Statesman now also made in China (CKD) ? If so that doesn't go well for Oz.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 08:08 PM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulvdb
The component you've all missed is that RWD is looking dead. I think we're going to end up with both Ford and GM using US FWD platforms in under 10 years. We could be looking at the last RWD platforms for Aussie vehicles right now. We'll have nothing but Camry's (Toyota flavour/Holden Flavour/Ford Flavour) to drive next decade !!!
lol, imagine the forums, talking about which model has less torque steer.
Old 24-10-2008, 08:48 PM   #14
snakeoil
Snake Oil

I do not like FWD cars they s--t me to tears but I also know that if consumers turn away from RWD cars then what is the option
GMH is now in more trouble because GMAC is about to shutdown its Oz operations because the parent company in the USA is about to go under.
I do get annoyed when I see these greedy mindless financial people absolutely stuff things up.Half of these could not organise a root in a brothel

My advice. Just ignore them go and buy your parts new cars whatever and let the real market which is ultimately the consumer decide.

Be smart be cool and for every opportunity the void will have an entrepeneur

JP with his wealth maybe buy Ford OZ.Why not we invented the bloody thing in the first place.If Ford go down the site's would only have reality value anyway

Then I can still have me ute which I love except for the auto (my bad)

Cheers

2015 Mercedes C180 Coupe White/Black
2011 FG GS Ute manual #246 White/Black
2010 Chrysler Sebring limited hardtop Silver/grey
2003 UX Explorer V8 White/grey
2008 Suzuki Bandit GSF 1250 Black
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour Black
2011 Glastron GT 185 (USA made bowrider)White/Black
1988 Komatsu FG10 Forklift
FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria #975
Ullysees Member #18,554
snakeoil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 09:52 PM   #15
Sprint XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury maid
http://www.motorauthority.com/pontia...uct-cycle.html

Didnt see this coming but GM is in big trouble so I wouldnt be surprised.
Noticed something interesting in the last paragraph of the article.
"The mid size G6 wont move to a RWD structure as previously speculated either. Limited funding for development means the new model will likely be based on the Chevy Malibu."
Looks like GM have canned the mid size RWD platform.
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2008, 03:18 AM   #16
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Isn't the Statesman now also made in China (CKD) ? If so that doesn't go well for Oz.
Not too sure on whether they are made in China, I know they are sold there but unsure as to whether they are locally produced or imported. I can't see why they would produce them in 2 different locations, and the Chinese market can't be big enough to have their own production houses.
The US fall will have a large impact on sales, but it's all speculation at this point. The jouno's are saying "IF" the Commodore gets updated their isn't a current plan to update it for the US market. and that is "IF" GM decide to not sell it in their domain again, which is 'IF' the G8 doesn't reach their wanted sales volume.
Which, okay looks likely, but nothing is set in stone, the current global economies have alot of people speculating, but who knows, in 5 years we could be on another boom cycle and GM will be investing $2 billion into the next Commodore. Or they might not, in which case Holden will be back to selling in our market, Asia and the middle east, which will affect sales, but still put them in a better position then Ford Oz.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2008, 04:09 AM   #17
Jayden
Graphic Artist

The first word in that article is "Rumors".

anythings possible but lets not forget the cash speculative articles bring in.
Old 25-10-2008, 07:21 AM   #18
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupex
Noticed something interesting in the last paragraph of the article.
"The mid size G6 wont move to a RWD structure as previously speculated either. Limited funding for development means the new model will likely be based on the Chevy Malibu."
Looks like GM have canned the mid size RWD platform.
there goes the torana then.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2008, 11:34 PM   #19
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
The falcon has been a RWD six for almost FIFTY YEARS. Nothing's gonna change.
Hmm....Isn't Ford going to start producing Falcon's with a Yank V6?

I think that counts as a change. I6 became a V6, soon a RWD will become FWD.

Ford is in the business of making money, not cars.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 01:10 AM   #20
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
Hmm....Isn't Ford going to start producing Falcon's with a Yank V6?

I think that counts as a change. I6 became a V6, soon a RWD will become FWD.

Ford is in the business of making money, not cars.
I think SM1DY referred more to the change from RWD to FWD.

It is naive to believe that an ancient engine (compared to the rest) could last forever, especially given the total focus on emissions and "green motoring" and all related that we face today.

Some changes need to happen for the business to move forward.
Most people will not notice the difference between engines.

However, the move from RWD to FWD will not do the model any favours.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 10:24 AM   #21
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Where's the thread that was started a few weeks ago about how well the G8 was selling.
Hold the party... the Commodore Ute is on its way over.
Old 26-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #22
Wally
XP Coupe

There's talk the G8 may switch to being an Impala SS.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #23
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Either way this isn't good news, asmuch as we all arn't fans of Holden it's not good for the local Auto industry.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #24
Sprint XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
There's talk the G8 may switch to being an Impala SS.
Plans for a RWD zeta platform Impala were abandoned, the next Impala will be based on the FWD epsilon platform.
Old 26-10-2008, 01:23 PM   #25
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Isn't funny how the US has a major influence on the local market. When we should have our own identity. It's a pity that the G8 is possibly gone.

The mistake that many major O/S companies make in Australia, is to force their marketing strategies in to the Australian way of life.
And it work's vice versa too. Seems like the "higher ups" couldn't see a proper market for it.??? (G8)

Majority don't work and the first thing is they do, is downsize operations. Simply because their mindset on how we operate is not how they operate.
I just hope "higher ups" see that local markets thrive on local knowledge and what works best.

Hope RWD stays in the local market and not changed to due to O/S markets saying FWD is the only way.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #26
ZC001
Cruisin

Selling cars to the US is always doomed to fail.

There's no profit in it for the Australian manufacturer ('transfer of profit' tax avoidance - sell at cost price so all the profit is made in the US - reduces Australian tax, makes the bottom line 'back home' look better).

If the car is a success it is also digging its own grave. Too powerful US unions will not allow large numbers to be imported & force it to be manufactured there. The Monaro story.

In the current economic climate, Australian manufacturers should be more worried about their own survival, rather than trying to sell cars to a country that is financially so far up sh!t creek it has caused a worldwide financial crisis.
ZC001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #27
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZC001
In the current economic climate, Australian manufacturers should be more worried about their own survival, rather than trying to sell cars to a country that is financially so far up sh!t creek it has caused a worldwide financial crisis.
True.

But unfortunately both Holden and Ford Oz are mearly arms of American multi-nationals and not actually Australian. Thats why it's all falling in a heap for both of them.

They are definitely testing enough G8s. I see one almost every day on my way to work travelling down the Monash Fwy, presumably heading to the Lang Lang proving grounds.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #28
Sprint XR8

No G8 in five years time = no commodore in five years time.
It will be just like when the local HZ was replaced by the opal developed VB.
The localy developed VE replaced by a mid size overseas design, and just like with the VB so long as it's got Holden badges on it everyone will think it's australian.
Old 27-10-2008, 05:39 AM   #29
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
But unfortunately both Holden and Ford Oz are mearly arms of American multi-nationals and not actually Australian.
I think Ford and GM fall short of being truly multinational. They are US-centric US Brand companies ... unfortunately.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post