Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 14-11-2010, 01:21 AM   #181
89.SVO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
I was under the misconception that MC Hammer was on these forums when I saw you could turn his most famous lyric into forum emoticons:

! !

LOL. thats gold!
Old 14-11-2010, 02:00 AM   #182
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

is a fly without wings called a walk?
Old 14-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #183
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Roundabouts help traffic flow.

and

Driving a Toyota mean the car is super reliable and safe that you dont need to service it or change tyres......

Subaru Outback '02
Old 14-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #184
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that when you pull motor down for a quick freshen up..... car will be up and running again very soon......
Old 14-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #185
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
that when you pull motor down for a quick freshen up..... car will be up and running again very soon......
Or will be completed within your initial budget.
Old 14-11-2010, 01:55 PM   #186
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

"Thats only a 10 minute job".....
Old 14-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #187
samsy351
351XB - Underbelly II Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
"Thats only a 10 minute job".....

Gold !
If I had a dollar for every time Ive said/heard that !!.....
Old 14-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #188
JimNiki
71Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
the condom was invented for misconception !!!!!
hehe ..

I heard it was invented by a New Zealander in 1872 by using a sheeps gut.
Then in the early 1900's it was perfected by the Swiss by removing it from the sheep first!
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
Old 14-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #189
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quoting myself here in the hope the red stamps slow down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Can't expect much different really, with so many members having personal agendas up their sleeve it's almost impossible for anything to stay on topic and useful on the forum of late.
The idea for the thread is great, it's a shame one has to wade through so much dribble to find facts.

I had bit of a cleanup and suggest this thread stay on topic. Any budding comedians or trolls can expect warning points/ negative rep from me.

For the benefit of those who struggle with reading and comprehension I shall re post the OP:
Old 14-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #190
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Heres one on topic for motoring misconceptions.

Many people believe the first holden built was the FJ, it was in fact the 48/215 (unofficially known as the FX) which was released in 1948. The FJ was the next model which was released in 1953.

Not ground breaking trivia there to us as many car enthusiasts know the 48/215 was the first but many of the general public believe it was the FJ.
Old 14-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #191
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

VK group A "blue meanie" had a double row timing chain. It had provision to run two but was only allowed to race with one as that is how they were supplied by Holden.

It took until the Adventurer/Avalanche/Crewman/Coupe 4 for Holden to build a 4wd Commodore. There were some VL prototypes (up to 10?) built using R32 GTR components.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Old 14-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #192
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

And the VL r32's were beaten by the Overlander aftermarket Kingswoods (HJ/HZ?) - thank you AMC magazine.

The V8 version of the LJ Torana wasn't going to be designated XU-2 according to Phil Zmood.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ

Last edited by Rev28K; 14-11-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 14-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #193
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Heres one on topic for motoring misconceptions.

Many people believe the first holden built was the FJ, it was in fact the 48/215 (unofficially known as the FX) which was released in 1948. The FJ was the next model which was released in 1953.

Not ground breaking trivia there to us as many car enthusiasts know the 48/215 was the first but many of the general public believe it was the FJ.
For many years I thought that too.

Another misconception concerning Holden is many people believe Holden was founded in 1948. While it's true the first Holden was made in 1948 the company itself was founded in 1856.

Alot of people probably don't even realize they were a saddlery in their early days.
Old 14-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #194
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
For many years I thought that too.

Another misconception concerning Holden is many people believe Holden was founded in 1948. While it's true the first Holden was made in 1948 the company itself was founded in 1856.

Alot of people probably don't even realize they were a saddlery in their early days.
Have you tried telling them, oh that doesnt go over well either. I had a book that told the history of Holden which said the same thing, saddlers. It also said they grew by making interiors and wodden chassis for horse drawn coaches for companies all over the world, and then interiors and chassis for various car makers in the early 1900's. The Fishermans bend plant was a result of an agreement with Chevrolet (Im not sure if it was GM then) to exclusively use that plant for Chev products.

By the time we got to the FX, they were essentially no longer an Aussie company, any more than Ford was.
Old 14-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #195
nb_351
building the xe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELIIXR8
I don’t know about other states, but in NSW they have recently introduced "Safety Camera". Red light and speed camera in 1. Hume Hwy between Liverpool and Parramatta Rd intersection is absolutely littered with them.... I’m all for nailing idiots. Unlike the old fashion speed cameras how you get 3 massive signs warning prior to the camera, these new ones only have 1 sign just before the intersection. I do not speed on purpose and don’t drive like an idiot but I've lost count of how many times Ive approached an intersection and slammed my brakes because I was at that unhappy medium of either drive normal and there’s a small chance I might get hit with the red light or speed up and no doubt get done with speed camera. Now add this on top of questionable weather conditions and towing a trailer loaded with xxxxkgs and you’re telling me these are out for my safety? I know the towing is not an everyday instance but even in perfectly normal conditions I’ve had mates pressed right up against their seat belts because I hit the brake....
true mate, i drive on and back along woodville rd every day... theres 3 i think safety cameras, 2 speed cameras and a red light camera all in like 3 or 4 kms on the one road...
and being a mibile mechanic, i drive around half the night so i see them all the time, and cause im getting paid i purposely do under the limit haha
Old 14-11-2010, 11:23 PM   #196
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Have you tried telling them, oh that doesnt go over well either. I had a book that told the history of Holden which said the same thing, saddlers. It also said they grew by making interiors and wodden chassis for horse drawn coaches for companies all over the world, and then interiors and chassis for various car makers in the early 1900's. The Fishermans bend plant was a result of an agreement with Chevrolet (Im not sure if it was GM then) to exclusively use that plant for Chev products.

By the time we got to the FX, they were essentially no longer an Aussie company, any more than Ford was.
Early manufacturers that Holden Motor Body Builders built bodies for imported chassis included Overland, Chevrolet, Durant, Hupmobile and Dodge during 1919. Some sources even state that they also built bodies for Ford vehicles in Australia up to the consttruction of Ford's own plant and built bodies for the Model T, but I have not been able to find a reliable reference for this. By 1924 Holden Motor Body Builders were the sole body manufacturer for General Motors.

From what I can find the Fishermans Bend factory for Holden was completed in 1939 but it appears it was not initially used for a lot of car production as wartime production was in full swing not long after. The planned Australian car (originally tabled as a proposal in 1936) was put on hold for war time production of machinery and arms.

As Holden Motor Body Builders were bought out by General Motors in 1931 to form General Motors - Holden (GM-H), it appears "Holden" never owned the Fishermans Bend plant, GM-H did.

The only thing Australian about the 48/215 was that it had 90% local content, even the design was based on a post war chevrolet design that had been rejected in the US. By that stage, the company was majority owned by GM and had been for 17 years.
Old 14-11-2010, 11:42 PM   #197
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Early manufacturers that Holden Motor Body Builders built bodies for imported chassis included Overland, Chevrolet, Durant, Hupmobile and Dodge during 1919. Some sources even state that they also built bodies for Ford vehicles in Australia up to the consttruction of Ford's own plant and built bodies for the Model T, but I have not been able to find a reliable reference for this. By 1924 Holden Motor Body Builders were the sole body manufacturer for General Motors.

From what I can find the Fishermans Bend factory for Holden was completed in 1939 but it appears it was not initially used for a lot of car production as wartime production was in full swing not long after. The planned Australian car (originally tabled as a proposal in 1936) was put on hold for war time production of machinery and arms.

As Holden Motor Body Builders were bought out by General Motors in 1931 to form General Motors - Holden (GM-H), it appears "Holden" never owned the Fishermans Bend plant, GM-H did.

The only thing Australian about the 48/215 was that it had 90% local content, even the design was based on a post war chevrolet design that had been rejected in the US. By that stage, the company was majority owned by GM and had been for 17 years.
A mate had a couple of 40's Chev utes and they were pretty close to larger versions of an FX, they had 6's that were the spitting image of the old Holden 6, but again a lot larger.
Old 14-11-2010, 11:55 PM   #198
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
A mate had a couple of 40's Chev utes and they were pretty close to larger versions of an FX, they had 6's that were the spitting image of the old Holden 6, but again a lot larger.

I have no doubt that the Chev 6 of the time period was very closely related, considering the Holden 138 Grey was based heavily on the Buick.

Quote:
The engine was based on a Buick pre-war engine design, and saw only minor changes throughout its 15 year life
Old 15-11-2010, 12:39 AM   #199
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
I have no doubt that the Chev 6 of the time period was very closely related, considering the Holden 138 Grey was based heavily on the Buick.
The Chev ones were close enough in colour (old and faded so maybe slight difference) to the later Holden red motors.
Old 15-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #200
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_351
true mate, i drive on and back along woodville rd every day... theres 3 i think safety cameras, 2 speed cameras and a red light camera all in like 3 or 4 kms on the one road...
and being a mibile mechanic, i drive around half the night so i see them all the time, and cause im getting paid i purposely do under the limit haha

i reply to this post under the misconception of safety cameras being safe.
i now set my cruise control at 5 to 10kms under the speed limits in these heavily affected areas , ontop of that , i try to be vigilant with the speed changes , and hard on the brakes at the 1st sign of an amber light . i really suggest that we should all now become granny drivers , and put them out of business . if thats what they want , then lets give it to them .
Old 15-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #201
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Common misconception:

Victorians must the worst drivers on earth as they have far more safetey cameras than anywhere else yet still have a roughly similar road toll to other states with less or no safety cameras at all.
Old 15-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #202
irlewy86
Meep Meep

a few I've heard over the years;

FWD will always be faster in drags (that one seemed to pop up after the first Fast and Furious movie)

Turbo's were invented by the Japanese

Hilux's are unbreakable

Camry's are made in Japan
Old 15-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #203
XWGT