Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #1
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Default Whats the best ride on mower?

Looking to get a ride on mower but unsure of what I should get. The 2 local mower joints are trying to flog me husqvarnas and rovers but I'm unsure of the quality. I was thinking of getting a cox or a greenfield as there Australian made and owned so I was thinking the quality / reliability would be better.
Any thoughts?

Old 24-05-2014, 11:43 PM   #2
TOMZY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Whats the best ride on mower?

Hey matey, what sort of area are you mowing and is it just grass or will you be hitting heavy scub with it?

The older Cox and green field have ****** turning circles,similar friction drive Setup (hydrostatic available too). But very solidly built!

If you mowing Nice grass and can get the Husky for a Nice price.... Why not? But they are manufactured with thinner metal.

Does it require a catcher?
TOMZY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-05-2014, 11:48 PM   #3
TOMZY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buying new or second hand/front steer or zero turn?

Cub cadet are a solid,comfy unit and good turning circle.

Last edited by TOMZY; 25-05-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Old 25-05-2014, 12:03 AM   #4
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Buying new or good second hand if I can find one. A quick google search reveals a lot of horror stories with the huskys and basically the conclusion I came to is there all (not just the huskys) made in china and all suffer from quality issues. Haven't heard anything bad about the aussie built mowers, only that there a little dearer to buy. Ground is reasonably smooth, few weeds.
I know about the greenfields turning circle, my folks have had one for just over 15 years.
If I spend the money on a new mower I only want to do it once, I want it to last without costing me a small fortune in maintenance.
It would be good to have a catcher but not essential.
Old 25-05-2014, 12:16 AM   #5
TOMZY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did a small engine apprenticeship many years ago, so I'm not familiar with current models, but they do look plastic china spec.

Stay away from Ferrari ride ons.... Not sure if they're even still in production?

The friction drive on Cox and Greenfield last for ever, but are labour involved to repair.
Old 25-05-2014, 12:23 AM   #6
TOMZY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For a small lawn area, a second hand MTD yard bug would be ideal.... Compact unit with catcher, great turning circle strong deck and cheap! Just make sure there's a parts dealer in your area?

The older rovers (rancher?) Were good.... Cutter deck adjustments were common, but could just be the operator crashing into ****?

Last edited by TOMZY; 25-05-2014 at 12:37 AM.
Old 25-05-2014, 12:37 AM   #7
4VCLEVO
XA GT

I'm unsure whats a small area but it's an acre.
The Chinese mower have a lot of glam and gadgets to help them sell, and they had me sucked in at first until I read the reviews. Then I remembered my folks greenfield, they haven't spent a cent on it in 15 plus years, but they are expensive and have no glam or gadgets, they just mow, and at the end of the day that's what I'm buying it for.
I scared of buying a Chinese mower in that the maintenance on it will cost me more than what a good aussie mower would of in the first place, but not sure if I'm being over the top.
Old 25-05-2014, 12:47 AM   #8
TOMZY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cub cadet offer a solidly built ride on with gadgets like cruise control ect, big heavy duty cutter deck too.

That's probably the only downer with Greenfield and Cox- small cutter deck
Old 25-05-2014, 01:17 AM   #9
03 GHIA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also live on acre. Own a 2yr old 18.5hp Briggs 46" Rover. Has been reliable mechanically. The only issue's we've had have been caused by poor welding from factory.
A blade deck pulley broke loose which did more damage to other pulleys and some of the deck and snapped 2 belts. And part of the steering hub on a wheel snapped the weld (only went about 1/8th around the hub, had it re-welded the full way around), so quality control on Rovers from my experience is not very good.
Also to note, the hydrostatic drive on the rover is weak, poor at hills and poor traction.

Previously had a 42" 14.5hp MTD Yardman. IMO a better mower. Would cut thicker/wetter grass. Hydrostatic drive felt more powerful and would tackle hills with ease. Never had any major repairs needed.
Would have lasted about 8yrs or so, before the drive system snapped a fin/blade inside which split the housing, unsure of cause.

Cub Cadet would be a good bet. Neighbor is on the same size block and his was a good 15yrs old before the engine started using too much oil, so he sold it. Still going strong with a fresh engine in it. But they do cost more upfront.

Previous
White 2003 Fairmont Ghia

First- RIP.
White 1990 Ford Fairmont
Exhaust, intake, cam & lowered.
03 GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #10
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I'm on 25 acres, of which around 3 acres need mowing with a ride on, 3 with a tractor/slasher, and the rest is left natural bush.

I've had 2 ride ons in the last 8 years, plus a Ferguson tractor and slasher.

The first ride on was a second hand 11hp MTD which was $800 as the budget was tight when we moved here.
This went for many years and did pretty well considering the type of lawn I have, rough, lots of stumps, rocks, etc.

I welded the deck many times, changed the bearings twice, and the blades probably 4 times.
The engine went well, but the hydrostatic drive became weak later and it struggled up hills.

I ran this for about 5 years, and it still goes today, but not so well.

3 years ago we bought a 22hp V2 Husky for $4000.
This machine is very nice, with 3 blades, and a very powerful hydrostatic which is also very easy to use.

The best thing about this particular machine is the cutting deck, it's a commercial grade welded steel unit instead of the cheaper/weaker pressed steel units.
This was important to us because of the terrain we're on.

We're on to our 3rd set of blades, I snapped the bolts on one of blade mounts (hit a huge stump), and smashed the plastic roller to pieces (front of cutting deck).

Other than that it's a pleasure to use and is going strong.

I did look at Greenfields, Cox, Rover, and John Deer at the time of purchase, however I felt the Husky was most suitable and best value for our purpose.

I would buy another husky in a heartbeat.
Old 25-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #11
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm on about 6 acres and earlier this year my 100yo Greenfield was really struggling so I had to bite the bullet.

Ideally a zero turn Ferris would have to be the best I've seen but very, very expensive.

I ended up with a 2246 Husky and like Sox, I can't fault it. The deck is strong, starts and runs easily, cuts well. The only set back is they are very slow in reverse but that's fixed by altering your mowing technique. It has a very small turning circle and is quite comfortable to ride. Mine probably does more work towing the trailer around the property but it is an excellent mower.
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #12
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Have you considered John Deere, made in the USA
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #13
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASYBOSS View Post
Have you considered John Deere, made in the USA
I've got a John Deere, 42 inch. Only use it for a 3/4 acre lawn, not mowing anything rough but it's a good machine. Belt drive, very basic. Service parts are reasonable from the local shop.

I used to have 5 acres and had both a Rancher 2 which is a deadly but effective ride-on and a MTD which went well too.
Old 25-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #14
Papou
Car needs a wash !

toro ?
Papou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #15
Rapid05xr6
Formerly wheelyking4x4x4

I am a mechanic at a mower shop, finished my apprenticeship last year, and I have grown up around mowers. The best mowers we sell, the strongest, simplest, and least commonly seen in the workshop are hustler zero turns. We also sell MTD (built for american lawns) same story with Dixon, john deere, toro. Rover, yard man and cub cadet are just mtd with a different sticker husky (although the higher end stuff is pretty good).
As you have been recommended greenfield are aussie made, and are absolutely awesome mowers (I have 3!) but as has been said they can be expensive to repair if neglected, but that goes for anything. If it is fairly clean stuff you are mowing - not sandy, rocky, really thick and never gets more than a foot high, by all means go with a cheaper husky, but just know it won't handle anything heavy.
Speaking from experience, I hate cox mowers, the drive isn't the same standard as a greenfield and once the cone goes it kills your ankle.

My honest opinion would be, if you're willing to spend the money, go for a 32" greenfield or for similar money look at a hustler sport 42" with a v twin kawasaki. the best thing you can do is request a demo and see what you are comfortable with mowing.
Old 25-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #16
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

ive got 2 and a bit acres and i went and bought a Rally
its just a red 32inch (i think) blade with a briggs and stratton motor in it.
ive had it for about 8 or 9 years and the only prob ive had is a gear selector pin dropping out which cost me 28 bucs to get fixed and a couple of flats (actually got another one yesterday)
it cost me 1800 bucks all that time ago
its never been serviced and ive never had to change the spark plug as its clean still, although i prob should
uses hardly any oil and i can get the 2 acres mowed on a full tank of fuel
i then use a honda 4 stroke whipper snipper that ive had just as long that has an after market quick feed head on it

touch wood these two pieces of garden mowing equip last me another ten years

i looked at decent brand names for the ride on and just couldnt justify the price they wanted

mind you the ride on has no catcher, but i i leave the cut grass on the block for mulch.
catchers can be very expensive
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #17
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMZY View Post
Buying new or second hand/front steer or zero turn?

Cub cadet are a solid,comfy unit and good turning circle.
But they sponsor Andrew Jones.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #18
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

I have a MTD Yardman, 14.5 hp 38". Purchased 2nd hand from a mate(2 yo) about 5 years ago. The hydrostat has started to play up, and reverse barely works. Dealer says change over about $500 plus fitting.

Otherwise, for an $800 purchase, 5 years ago, I can't fault it. Great mower.

That said, if I was to purchase a mower new, I would look closely at a Toro. A mate has one, and it shist on the Yardman. 42" and 18hp, with a better turning circle. The Toro is not particularly any bigger than my YTD.
Must be some reason why the bulk of mowers at the Golf courses are Toro Lawn Tractors.

Mike
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #19
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Parents have a rover rancher. 17hp single if memory serves. Must be 15 years old now!

Does well, 38" cut. Had some engine work several years ago only because dad won't service something till it breaks.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #20
XT UTE 68
GIVIT Rally 84 BARRA XE

I have about 1 acre and a old Toro 212-5 with Kawasaki 12hp Engine, just keeps going and going, doesn't use oil either. I welded up some cracks in the deck many years ago and it hasn't broken again. Have replaced the cutting deck spindle bearings a couple of times and blades once. It was a old machine when I got it 12 years ago. I think it will go forever.
XE BARRA - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11382891 - 2007 GER Via Birdsville, 2008 via Broken Hill, 2009 via Cape York, 2012 via Karumba, 2014 via Innamincka, 2016 GIVIT RBR, 2017 via Boulia, 2018 Via Mighty Murray, 2019 Via Dig Tree, 2020 Via Thargomindah, 2021 Via Lawn Hill Gorge, 2023 Westmar - Gunnedah

Sponsors, London Fire & Safe www.fireextinguisher-and-safes.com, G&D exhausts and suspension Beenleigh , Beenleigh Bob Jane
XT UTE 68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #21
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got a 2 year old MTD 46" it's not a bad mower it's a tad slow in ground speed, and it struggles with thicker grass.

If I were buying again I'd be buying a zero turn unit, something like a bad boy or a toro from what I've seen with my neighbours toro it's a great mower with a nice ergonomic seating position, the bad boy at the school is more industrial but takes a hiding

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 03:56 PM   #22
TOMZY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AMC explorer is a solid unit too..... Has the friction cork drive or hydro opt.
Old 25-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #23
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid05xr6 View Post
I am a mechanic at a mower shop, finished my apprenticeship last year, and I have grown up around mowers. The best mowers we sell, the strongest, simplest, and least commonly seen in the workshop are hustler zero turns. We also sell MTD (built for american lawns) same story with Dixon, john deere, toro. Rover, yard man and cub cadet are just mtd with a different sticker husky (although the higher end stuff is pretty good).
As you have been recommended greenfield are aussie made, and are absolutely awesome mowers (I have 3!) but as has been said they can be expensive to repair if neglected, but that goes for anything. If it is fairly clean stuff you are mowing - not sandy, rocky, really thick and never gets more than a foot high, by all means go with a cheaper husky, but just know it won't handle anything heavy.
Speaking from experience, I hate cox mowers, the drive isn't the same standard as a greenfield and once the cone goes it kills your ankle.

My honest opinion would be, if you're willing to spend the money, go for a 32" greenfield or for similar money look at a hustler sport 42" with a v twin kawasaki. the best thing you can do is request a demo and see what you are comfortable with mowing.

When I was looking for mine an independent mower mechanic warned me to stay away from Cox as well.
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #24
My32Doors

I'm on 5 acres and have a Z445 John Deere with a 54" deck. It's a zero turn mower and is what many of the mowing businesses use. It's hydrastatic drive - tough as nails.
My32Doors is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 11:37 PM   #25
silver_xe

I have a Cub Cadet LT1042 purchased in 2005. It has the Kohler 19hp Courage engine which has been faultless. It now has just over 300 hours, The biggest problem which was my own fault was the electric PTO. When i put a new belt on i spun it by hand without the guard on which holds the PTO in place therefore ripping the wires out. Local was $660 plus fitting whereas i bought it from the US delivered for $172 (not much mark up here). Other than that the mower has been good, i change the oil regularly and have even pulled the spindles down and changed the cheap chinese bearings which had started galling (By the way replacements are just an old holden front end bearing). It takes a cpl of minutes to pull the whole cutting deck out which is good. I chased an electrical gremlin for a while which turned to be just some broken wires which was on a micro switch to cut the PTO out when using reverse. Apart from this the mower has been quite good and i would most likely purchase another. By the way if you want a nice finish the catcher is approx $600 extra and make sure you use the mulching blades that come on the mower not throwing blades like the dealer told me too as all this did was clogged the chute every time. It leaves a good finish with the catcher but you will be surprised just how much grass it picks up so you will be making some trips to the dump.
silver_xe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2014, 12:55 AM   #26
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't need to change oil in my rover. It burns oil faster than fuel.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2014, 08:12 AM   #27
Rapid05xr6
Formerly wheelyking4x4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMZY View Post
AMC explorer is a solid unit too..... Has the friction cork drive or hydro opt.
except they went broke a few years ago, and now parts are impossible to get, except the few aftermarket bits that are available. Toro are good machines, but again they are american machines designed for american lawns. they aren't built as heavy duty as the hustler mowers, they have thinner decks, more complicated belt systems and cheaper hydro's. they are priced similarly.
Old 26-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #28
jim
Starter Motor

hustler-bigdog x 2!
jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #29
Matty4
Banana

I also have a Cub Cadet 1042. Bought it new in 2008 and have only ever irregularly serviced it and replaced the blades once and belt a couple of times. It's still on the original battery too (but not for much longer I suspect).

Hasn't let me down once.
Old 26-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #30
Matty4
Banana

Double post...very slow today