Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
RAPID_BA
Banned

Default police clamping down on modded cars?

In sydney for many weekends there has been a street meet at harrys cafe de wheels at liverpool. From all accounts people were well behaved, the last weekend of the month was a charity event, people showed their cars and everyone enjoyed.

People were getting a little confident bringing out their cars, police would turn up but generally didnt intervene if everyone was behaving.

Then one weekend on a charity night they turned up with RTA to take out the low and loud cars. Basically this blitz has run all the modded cars back in the closet again.

Then on a current affair the story about defecting all the modded cars.

I agree with zero tolerance on people who speed or drive unsafely but to attack car enthusiasts? Most of us are very respectful and wouldnt dare do anything stupid with our cars. Why not let us sit round and park up our cars or go on a nice cruise?

There is no chance id break the law in my car or drive reckless, just wont happen. Im sure many of you are like me in this regard.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
Kryton

Default Re: police clamping down on modded cars?

Sorry, but if your car is too low, too loud or obviously not RWC, it shouldnt be on the road.
You may call such people enthusiasts, i call them knobs that have no regard for anyone else on the road.
If you mod your car legally, you have nothing to worry about, however, if your one of the 95% of people that mod their vehicles ILLEGALLY - you should be worried and you probably deserve the pretty yellow sticker your going to get.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

because we are all hoons, dont u read the papers or watch the news ? . topic closed ?
Old 09-07-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Sorry, but if your car is too low, too loud or obviously not RWC, it shouldnt be on the road.
You may call such people enthusiasts, i call them knobs that have no regard for anyone else on the road.
If you mod your car legally, you have nothing to worry about, however, if your one of the 95% of people that mod their vehicles ILLEGALLY - you should be worried and you probably deserve the pretty yellow sticker your going to get.

ooops, im not a hoon, im a knob according to davway, my car is too low at the front. send me to jail.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #5
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

Quote:
So thats just about every car on this forum then...
Old 10-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #6
RAPID_BA
Banned

My car isnt too low, i have a full exhaust with mufflers and cats, all emmissions gear is retained, all legal i think. Just a bit more poke. It doesnt do many km and i dont start it at the crack of dawn or in the middle of the night. Definately not a hoon, i drive it like a grandpa.

Im not some 18 year old with long hair and half an exhaust missing and bold tyres flogging it up the street. It seems that all car enthusiasts =hoon according to police.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #7
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What a ridiculous generalization you knob
What are you doing on this forum
I suggest you join the Skoda forum
Old 10-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #8
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

If there aren't enough crims...one makes them!

Subaru Outback '02
Old 10-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #9
BHDOGS
Banned

Whether people like it or not anti establishment elements excist in modified car clubs and they will be targeted as such it's like bikers complaining there decent people it's just the odd ******** that ruins it thats life hang out with a minority of idiots the majority will be targeted to get to them
Old 10-07-2012, 12:23 AM   #10
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #11
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Most people are probably ignorant to where their cars are roadworthy and where they're not. Most cars running super lows I'd be surprised if they'd clear 100mm ground clearance. If you think about it, they're taking out about 2 inches or 50mm from their ride height and a lot of cars these days only have about 120mm stock. A lot of people running 20" wheels are running 225/35's which likely don't have the right load rating. People are out their running 100 cell cats, I've got a 200 cell and my engine lights on which basically means the car is running outside the stock emission parameters. The wrong cop will tell you any mod affecting the performance of the car needs to be engineered.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #12
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Possible a little unfair. Most people here would skirt pretty close to edge with what's legal. You've basically told 3/4 of the forums that they are knobs.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #13
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
hope you're ready

Old 10-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #14
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Possible a little unfair. Most people here would skirt pretty close to edge with what's legal. You've basically told 3/4 of the forums that they are knobs.
If you cant differentiate between "just un-roadworthy/illegal mods", to "complete disregard for the law, ADR's and other road users safety"..........

Some of you lot need to open your eyes, theres a big difference between a true enthusiast that has respect for the Police, other road users and regulations and then there are those that do not.
If you are in the "do not" category, your a knob.
Think what you want, i really dont care.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #15
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

I had mine slapped with a yellow canary for being too high..
oh and Im a knob. because I cant afford to get the vehicle plated.

2006 BF XL 5.4 3v 220 Barra V8 1 tonne ute. Auto

2003 TJ Wrangler ready to Rock N Roll.. Auto
Old 10-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #16
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
your a knob
you are

or

you're

not your

people with bad grammar should be locked up

see, others can be opinionated too

this is a car forum man
Old 10-07-2012, 12:36 AM   #17
xw 427
BIG CUBES=POWER

Quote:
i guess im a knob then?what do you have modded thats 100 per cent legal?i have modified cars for the last twenty years and nothing much has changed if its legal or not the police or vic roads will still give you a hard time,it comes with the scene,let us know how you have modded your vehicles to 100 per cent legal and you might teach us something!
Old 10-07-2012, 12:38 AM   #18
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Quote:
BRB, setting my car on fire because I'm a P plater and I have extractors.

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
Old 10-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #19
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
My car isnt too low, i have a full exhaust with mufflers and cats, all emmissions gear is retained, all legal i think. Just a bit more poke. It doesnt do many km and i dont start it at the crack of dawn or in the middle of the night. Definately not a hoon, i drive it like a grandpa.

Im not some 18 year old with long hair and half an exhaust missing and bold tyres flogging it up the street. It seems that all car enthusiasts =hoon according to police.
Isn't there something strapped to the side of your engine?

A car being dumped to the weeds because the only thing the owner could afford was an angle grinder, deserves a canary.
But an old school muscle car that's had everything done to it should just be left alone, as it's pretty obvious the owner cares about the car, and it's just a cruiser.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #20
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Quote:
If you cant differentiate between "just un-roadworthy/illegal mods", to "complete disregard for the law, ADR's and other road users safety"..........

Some of you lot need to open your eyes, theres a big difference between a true enthusiast that has respect for the Police, other road users and regulations and then there are those that do not.
If you are in the "do not" category, your a knob.
Think what you want, i really dont care.

Did you have a bad day mate?
Best go and have a cup of tea rather than be on a forum with a bunch of knobs.
I quite like to go on the forum and have a chat and a look around and quite frankly the mods other people have on their cars bothers me not and certainly not to the point of namecalling .
Old 10-07-2012, 12:59 AM   #21
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
I envy Australian performance Falcons, but I certainly don't envy Australian vehicle laws. I can do pretty much whatever I want to my vehicles and not be hassled by the police as long as I drive responsibly. I can even have some fun on the street, and I can certainly go to a cruise without worry.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:04 AM   #22
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Isn't there something strapped to the side of your engine?

cruiser.

Yeah so? So do all the xr6t's

I drive my car respectfully. Never breaks speed limit never puts me or other commuters in danger. Whats the problem?

Even the low cars, the only damage they will do is to themselves, whats the issue if they are yoo low!

And the loud cars, most motorbikes are more noisy and a hell of alot more dangerous. But they drive by unchecked. Invisible to noise restrictions
Old 10-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #23
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So the cops have never canaried a car before based on a 5 minute inspection at night with a torch only for it to be given the all clear when properly inspected by a licensed tester? A modified car been deemed too loud based on the hearing of a police officer and when inspected with proper equipment set at correct parameters has passed?
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #24
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

so if you never break the limit etc.. why on gods name would you waste all that money on a "performance" vehicle?

Old 10-07-2012, 01:23 AM   #25
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.G
so if you never break the limit etc.. why on gods name would you waste all that money on a "performance" vehicle?
Because it's nice to have a grumbly exhaust. It's nice to go to a track day and let your hair down. It's nice to have a car that you're proud of.

But most of all. It's none of anyone else's ********* business what you do to your car as long as it is safe. Sooking about people having cars that are 90mm high instead of 100mm, 98db instead of the legal 96db or whatever it is, is just ridiculous. How's about we focus on getting the bombs with no brakes off the road before we have a shot at people that maintain their cars as meticulously as most of us do, but happen to have a few go fast mods.

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
Old 10-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #26
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

what do the stars mean???

btw I agree..

Old 10-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #27
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
What a stupid generalisation. So even people such as myself that have an engine tune that doesn't meet emissions but doesn't harm anyone deserve it? So me a car that modded thats legal. I do have respect for the police and what they do. Sure I've broken some road rules and done some stupid things who hasn't, lost my license life goes on.
One day you might post something positive for once.

Last edited by DJM83; 10-07-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #28
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post Re: police clamping down on modded cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
Most cars running super lows I'd be surprised if they'd clear 100mm ground clearance. If you think about it, they're taking out about 2 inches or 50mm from their ride height .
apart from not being able to go over speed humps and scraping on driveways, what's the harm in having a very low car?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #29
BHDOGS
Banned

Well yes if your cars illegaly modified you do deserve to be defected and cannot complain when you are it's the risk you take when you do it bitching about the police fining you for it is a waste of time they apply the law not create them I dont see what's so hard to understand about it. Just because your particular modification doesn't involve flame throwers and wheels spikes doesn't suddenly make it beyond the law. As a disclaimer my car is illegaly modified a v8 overly loud exhaust 100 cell cats ect it would probably choke a small African village to death but I'm not gonna cry when I get defected for it
Old 10-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #30
BHDOGS
Banned

Double post
Closed Thread