Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
K93George

Default AAMI Insurance and Performance Mods on Ps

I just got off the phone with AAMI and i'm quite confused after hearing what this lady had to say... I have recorded the conversation as well as I am looking to modify my car but still be insured.

So some interesting qutoes from the phone call.

"Hi I was wondering if I added modifications to my vehicle that increase the performance while being on my P plates if I would still be insured in an at fault accident EVEN though I am not legally allowed to drive a vehicle with performance mods?"

"Oh yeah, of course. We can insure you but you will have to pay a premium"

"Even though I can't legally drive the car?"

"Yeah, I don't see the point of adding mods that will get you in trouble with the police but we will still insure you, that has nothing to do with insuring you."

I don't understand? I was planning to argue that the mods don't add any performance like I already did with the catback and air intake but I don't even have to do that. I can get aftermarket headers and cat no problems! I really don't want to take that advice seriously but, hey, I got the proof right? Not sure what to think... Should I take it seriously and go ahead and mod it? Last thing would be the police but that I can't clear up unless I have proof it doesn't add performance, yeah a dodgy dyno sheet hehehe.

K93George is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AAMI Insurance and Performance Mods on Ps

It will be all wonderful until you have a prang and they decline your claim.

Your recording is worth nothing. They will argue the car is insured unless being driven by a drunk or unlicensed driver.
You are on Ps and so there for are not licensed to drive it.

Hit a Rolls or Ferrari or worse hurt someone and you will lose everything.....for LIFE.

Just do your time like everyone else.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

If the mods are illegal for the licence that you carry you will not be insured if there is an accident, FULL STOP.
fordomatic is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
K93George

This is exactly what I thought, what on earth is with this lady giving advice like this? I wish I never got the air intake or the exhaust, might just get rid of the stuff. Should have left the car as is, at least I stopped early on.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I read it as.... "hell yea we will take your money no worries, your not liable to read the fine print, and you have buckleys chance when you make a claim in your illegally modified car"

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
K93George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
I read it as.... "hell yea we will take your money no worries, your not liable to read the fine print, and you have buckleys chance when you make a claim in your illegally modified car"
Sums it up perfectly! Now, about the catback exhaust and the SS inductions kit. Best I remove these? I won't miss them and seeing as I can't move any further or well shouldn't have done any "performance" mods I would rather not do anything. I just had the money to spend and seeing as its only a weekend car if that I was more then happy to have fun with it but I don't want to take such silly risks and I have an all or nothing attitude so NO MORE MODs unfortunately.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even if you had your full license aami would try find a way to void the insurance, its what they do. Go with RACV, insured my 2007 xr6 for $1100, AAMI wanted $2400
Jack960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
K93George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack960
Even if you had your full license aami would try find a way to void the insurance, its what they do. Go with RACV, insured my 2007 xr6 for $1100, AAMI wanted $2400
If I had my full license they could try as much as they want, if I can legally drive it and stated it on my policy what grounds do they have to deny a claim? I am not a stranger sadly to making a claim, I had written off my 2010 XR6 sometime ago and they tried quite hard to pay me out rather then replace it with the 012 XR6 but I got them at every turn and eventually ended up with my new car. They did try, took a good month to get the results I wanted. I can still remember the words signaling there defeat "Ok sir, what colour would you like your new car to be" XD

I even retreived my stereo from the wreck, as far as I was concerned I hadn't received my new car and therefore still owned the wreck, they were merely storing it for me. So off I went after many attempts to schedule a time to see my car, I went with a tool kit, removed the stereo and left. I was even nice enough to leave the spare keys that I used to unlock my car. Great times.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

You won't be insured when you have an accident.

So fly under the radar if you do get mods, keep it subtle and not obvious.

I had a hard enough time dealing with my ****** case worker from AAMI, I even sourced the car for her and she ordered another, what an idiot, we clearly told her multiple times and other people associated with my claim but she still went ahead and did it anyway, then she goes "Oh well you'll have two cars then!".
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #10
K93George

If i'm not going to be insured with the air intake and catback exhaust, they can go. I've been in an accident and know just how real the possibility is. Not as unlikely as I once might have thought...
Old 02-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It might seam like a lifetime, but you are not on your p's for that long. Just hold off until you get a full licence, it will be worth the wait. Much better then hitting someone/thing and having your insurance void.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by K93George
If i'm not going to be insured with the air intake and catback exhaust, they can go. I've been in an accident and know just how real the possibility is. Not as unlikely as I once might have thought...
If you're in Vic you're pretty much boned, even CAI is pushing it with the laws post 2007.

I've only got until March 2014 then I'm on full license, upgrade time
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #13
Itsme
Experienced Member

Does not matter what was said on the phone, what does matter is what is written on your policy..... end of story.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #14
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They will insure your car with any legal or illegal mods, but the policy does state it needs to be legal and you need to be licences. Even if your are fully licenced and you have put an exhaust and have not had the car engineered technically they can decline anyone's claim at any age because the mod is not legal.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #15
FPV_Steve
Livin Life in the F6 Lane

I know you have decided it already, but definitely best to wait! I had my car hit by an uninsured p player driving a Honda Integra. Cost him $18k to fix my car and that was just replacing the body kit!! Would hate to see you in a similar situation.

The longer you wait, the more you will enjoy the mods!! i have the issue with my insurer that they don't like mods at all. Makes it hard to mod when they will cancel my insurance at next renewal :(

FPV_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #16
K93George

I haven't decided to put the headers or cat on yet. I definitely am not going to do it. I am just worried about the existing mods, such as the intake and exhaust. I like an idiot believed them when they said I would be insured with the mods. I was just a little more suspicious this time with what I was told.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #17
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by K93George
I haven't decided to put the headers or cat on yet. I definitely am not going to do it. I am just worried about the existing mods, such as the intake and exhaust. I like an idiot believed them when they said I would be insured with the mods. I was just a little more suspicious this time with what I was told.
Your car is insured with the mods, just not while you are driving it. Still covered while parked and theft.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #18
brakedasilence
Starter Motor

Hmmm, I may be wrong but if the modifications are not attributable to the accident then i'm not sure how they could decline your claim tbh. Eg, if your vehicle was to rear end a car in front of you, how could the modifications cause/contribute to the accident?
All depends on the Insurance company I guess.
brakedasilence is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #19
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

stay away from AAMI
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #20
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's the difference between "illegal" and failing an EPA test? That makes your car illegal doesn't it? Could get you in trouble very quickly.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #21
BigBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu
Does not matter what was said on the phone, what does matter is what is written on your policy..... end of story.
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\

What he said...

A phone call is one thing but a written policy is what is legally binding and if / when you have a claim and bring up the phone call recording you will get something like:

"Ah yes , that lady was not fully informed. She has now been given additional training but to go back to the policy document...."

Peter.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #22
AU Mont
Banned

it interesting how you can get an online quote with AAMI and jack up the agreed value a few thousand at the expense of $2-$3 a month more, but then when you go to pay for the insurance they ask how much you paid for the car and what date?

Why does it matter how much you pay for it? Will this answer have any effect on how they insure you?.........
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #23
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Eyes on the road rhonda
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #24
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
it interesting how you can get an online quote with AAMI and jack up the agreed value a few thousand at the expense of $2-$3 a month more, but then when you go to pay for the insurance they ask how much you paid for the car and what date?

Why does it matter how much you pay for it? Will this answer have any effect on how they insure you?.........
The reason is, people by these cars cheap at auctions and such, not running 100 per cent maybe some damage and then write the car off a few months after they get insurance. They intended to buy the car to commit insurance fraud and get paid out more than they paid for the car.

Or the other thing is. Someone has no insurance and has an accident, hit's a pole for example, they get insurance and make a claim later. They want the max amount of money they can get.

Insurance company can then ask questions why have you not had insurance on the car, if they investigate the claim and someone told them at the policy inception, that they only just got the car, they can ask questions, ask for proof of purchase and damage report etc.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #25
AU Mont
Banned

thats fair enough

i paid 11.5k for my car, and looking at others for sale the replacement cost is around 13.5k for similar km's and condition.

hopefully the insurance see's the replacement value being more important than what kind of bargain you managed to strike with the seller at the time
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #26
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldnt trust insurance companies as far as I can throw them, My dad was recently involved in an accident and ended up in hospital back in march plus was not at fault driver and was insured with NRMA for the past 20+ years and declined to pay out for a 2003 Toyota Tarago insured for 15k. They did their investigations which involved a private investigator and (dodgy) forensics which took them about 3-4 months to get back to us with results and accused us of staging the accident, Im now out of pocket about 13k to buy my parents a vehicle to get around with and we are in talks with a solicitor to have NRMA sued for rejecting our claim. Moral of the story even if you had a donkey as a ride the insurance companies will still insure you as long as they recieve their monthly payment THEY DONT CARE.....Ive only touched on my story its sickening how many innocent people get ripped off and criminals get away with it.
FPVGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #27
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Insurance companies are a law unto themselves. They will happily take your money but when you try to get what you pay for it terms of insurance they will do whatever it takes to avoid paying you out.

They are basically con artists in my book, but do it legally.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #28
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVGT500
I wouldnt trust insurance companies as far as I can throw them, My dad was recently involved in an accident and ended up in hospital back in march plus was not at fault driver and was insured with NRMA for the past 20+ years and declined to pay out for a 2003 Toyota Tarago insured for 15k. They did their investigations which involved a private investigator and (dodgy) forensics which took them about 3-4 months to get back to us with results and accused us of staging the accident, Im now out of pocket about 13k to buy my parents a vehicle to get around with and we are in talks with a solicitor to have NRMA sued for rejecting our claim. Moral of the story even if you had a donkey as a ride the insurance companies will still insure you as long as they recieve their monthly payment THEY DONT CARE.....Ive only touched on my story its sickening how many innocent people get ripped off and criminals get away with it.
Insurance company's do not just reject claims. They go to great lengths to do this. Next step I would be doing is getting it internally reviewed then on to the ombudsman.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #29
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
Insurance company's do not just reject claims. They go to great lengths to do this. Next step I would be doing is getting it internally reviewed then on to the ombudsman.
Were exactly at that stage, solicitor is gathering documents if they still refuse were off to the ombudsmen.
FPVGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #30
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Insurance companies are a law unto themselves. They will happily take your money but when you try to get what you pay for it terms of insurance they will do whatever it takes to avoid paying you out.

They are basically con artists in my book, but do it legally.
What a load of BS!!

If an insurer accepts your mods and you pay a premium, then you are covered.

Nothing worse than insurer haters that have never read a PDS!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post