Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Up to 500 new jobs when second shift begins at Holden

Finally some good news for car manufacturing in Australia.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1225843477500

Second shift appears to be for the new Police Interceptor and the build up for the Cruze. The article also mentions a high-performance export, which is probably a Chevy sports sedan as some US sites have been mentioning.

Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Finally some good news for car manufacturing in Australia.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1225843477500

Second shift appears to be for the new Police Interceptor and the build up for the Cruze. The article also mentions a high-performance export, which is probably a Chevy sports sedan as some US sites have been mentioning.
Be great if it were really true. The factory currently is only on one shift with 2 sets of workers doing it. The last I heard, and believe it is still the same. They work 1 week on 1 week off. Get full pay one week. Half pay the next. The people that used to work the afternoon shift lost their allowance too.

This increase of 500 jobs will 'just' mean full employment. Not new jobs. Don't suppose they can let facts get in the way of a good story for GMHolden or the a bad one (when their shouldn't be) for Ford.

I am happy those guys/girls will regain full employment. When and IF they do.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Be great if it were really true. The factory currently is only on one shift with 2 sets of workers doing it. The last I heard, and believe it is still the same. They work 1 week on 1 week off. Get full pay one week. Half pay the next. The people that used to work the afternoon shift lost their allowance too.

This increase of 500 jobs will 'just' mean full employment. Not new jobs. Don't suppose they can let facts get in the way of a good story for GMHolden or the a bad one (when their shouldn't be) for Ford.

I am happy those guys/girls will regain full employment. When and IF they do.
I originally thought that too.

But from what I have read, it looks like the factory is returning to full weekly shifts as it is anyway, already some people are back on full time rather than the one week on, one week off thing they do at the moment. This was so that Holden didnt have to fire any of their skilled workforce during a downturn as they knew with the Cruze and further exports the lull would only be temporary. The plan is to get everyone back on full time, then later add the second shift.

The articles states: "The workforce is returning to a normal working schedule, with about 250 of the estimated 2700 blue and white collar workforce at Elizabeth still working alternate weeks, a situation that is likely to change by the end of the year.

"Which means everyone would be on full production and Holden would have to employ more people, it could be up to 500 workers, that's got to have a flow-on effect for suppliers as well," Mr Camillo said.

The second daily shift which will run the plant 16 hours a day will require the 500 new workers.

So I guess there is two lots of positive news, the first being the workers are back on full time and the second is the new second shift.
Old 22-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Holden ran half the workforce every second week. Ford downsized. In my opinion that puts holden in the box seat. They can increase and decrease production as the economy turns around. WHats the situation at ford? Are they talking about increasing production? I had heard that they were at capacity and this is responsible for the low sales of localy produced stock
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Good news for Holden, it's good to see normality returning to Elizabeth regardless of exports.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I originally thought that too.

But from what I have read, it looks like the factory is returning to full weekly shifts as it is anyway, already some people are back on full time rather than the one week on, one week off thing they do at the moment. This was so that Holden didnt have to fire any of their skilled workforce during a downturn as they knew with the Cruze and further exports the lull would only be temporary.
Another case of not letting the facts get in the way of a good story. Holden did not give those workers redundancies because they could not afford it. They went to GM to get the money and were denied. Keeping them on half pay was the only option they had.

I don't know why Holden are putting on new staff for the Police Interceptor when they don't have any orders for it yet, and AFAIK it won't go into production till next year?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I don't know why Holden are putting on new staff for the Police Interceptor when they don't have any orders for it yet, and AFAIK it won't go into production till next year?
Yes, that bit didn't seem to make sense, is it more likely to do with the Cruze?
I've lost track of when that's supposed to be starting..
Old 22-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Cruze has been delayed till next year so that makes no sense either.

Holden must need more time to figure out how the hell they will ever make a cent on it.
Old 22-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #9
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Another case of not letting the facts get in the way of a good story. Holden did not give those workers redundancies because they could not afford it. They went to GM to get the money and were denied. Keeping them on half pay was the only option they had.

I think it went along the lines of "Give them half pay so we can blow millions on motorsport sponsorship."
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2010, 11:17 PM   #10
G6E Turbo 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
I think it went along the lines of "Give them half pay so we can blow millions on motorsport sponsorship."

Yeah , Good point
G6E Turbo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #11
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The alledged extra 500 jobs would be beneficial at the Holden factory at Elizabeth. Simply put, it just means there will 500 less nothern based bogans lined up at centrelink waiting to collect their dole cheques!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2010, 11:55 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Holden must need more time to figure out how the hell they will ever make a cent on it.
Oh dear,
I recall that Cruze production at Elizabeth was a centre piece of the viability plan,
maybe that's not the case anymore but what's left underpinning viability?
Old 23-03-2010, 12:08 AM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
The alledged extra 500 jobs would be beneficial at the Holden factory at Elizabeth. Simply put, it just means there will 500 less nothern based bogans lined up at centrelink waiting to collect their dole cheques!
Dole cheques, government loans...its all coming from the same place.
Old 23-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #14
Carby

Quote:

I reckon - how will they ever make it comparable in cost to the Daewoo Cruze is beyond me!

Can't see the US governments giving the Police contract to an overseas company, so lets dismiss that one as well..........
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #15
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carby
Can't see the US governments giving the Police contract to an overseas company, so lets dismiss that one as well..........
Ford Crown Vic and Dodge Charger are Canadian and the Chevy Tahoe is Mexican and they are the dominant US police cars.

Also the US is different to us, the badge on the trunk is more important than the place of manufacture, Chevy is American and any Chev is considered as such. Many Americans would call the Toyota Camry an 'import' even though it is made in Alabama, and the Ford Fusion is called 'domestic' even though it is made in Mexico.
Old 23-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #16
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden will need to employ when they return to two shifts. They offered packages and a heap of production people took it.

There is no date set for the return of two shifts but it is happening. The article is guessing there.

and duaned... you'd be surprised how few "northern based bogans" as you eloquently put it work there mate... Its a very diverse workforce.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont1998
Holden will need to employ when they return to two shifts. They offered packages and a heap of production people took it.
I thought they didn't have the money to offer packages so they
put shift workers on half pay/working every other shift
Old 23-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #18
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

What they don't say is the planned 2 month shut down that is rumored to come mid year

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #19
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am an accountant so trust me to pick his one up.. The article says they are currently producing 340 cars a day.. There are 260 working days a year (5 days x 52 weeks).. So 260 days x by 340 cars = 88,400 cars a year.. They sold 45,000 last year, lets say an increase of 20% for 2010 (which is a huge gain & won’t happen). So that is 54,000 for 2010.. What the f... are they doing with the other 34,000 ish cars??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 10:50 PM   #20
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The reason they went to a 2 crew/1 shift rotation is that they wanted to keep all their skilled staff for when they returned to two shifts. The packages were offered after they had to lengthen the 2 crew rotation so those who wanted to leave could.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #21
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Dole cheques, government loans...its all coming from the same place.
Ouch!!
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 10:54 PM   #22
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I am an accountant so trust me to pick his one up.. The article says they are currently producing 340 cars a day.. There are 260 working days a year (5 days x 52 weeks).. So 260 days x by 340 cars = 88,400 cars a year.. They sold 45,000 last year, lets say an increase of 20% for 2010 (which is a huge gain & won’t happen). So that is 54,000 for 2010.. What the f... are they doing with the other 34,000 ish cars??
How much are exported?

Re the police cars, Holden are in a tender for orders just as Ford US and Chrysler except back here it seems eveyone NOT in the know thinks they are shipping units or have orders to fill.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #23
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I'll have a go, for 2009 Holden:

Commodore -44,387
Commodore utes - 12,100
Statesman/Caprice - 2,038
Exports - 5,000

Allow 5 weeks for Christmas breaks and stoppages during the year - 47 weeks

That works to 270/day

Also sales to New Zealand, South Africa but it still doesn't gel...
Old 23-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #24
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo
What they don't say is the planned 2 month shut down that is rumored to come mid year

Cheers
You are kidding aren't you?

Ford can't make enough cars, and have to have Saturday overtime, yet Holden are shutting up shop for two whole months?

Sh¡te. I'm absolutely gobsmacked at this. It sounds like they're in deep trouble...
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #25
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont1998
The reason they went to a 2 crew/1 shift rotation is that they wanted to keep all their skilled staff for when they returned to two shifts. The packages were offered after they had to lengthen the 2 crew rotation so those who wanted to leave could.
No they didn't. As I said earlier they went to GM for money to pay redundancies. They were denied due to GM's bankruptcy. They then created the story that they were doing it to keep jobs going until Cruze arrived, but it was absolute crap. There's no way in hell they would pay a few hundred extra workers they don't need unless they had no choice but too.

I've had this confirmed by a few AMWU reps.
Old 23-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #26
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
Erm pull your head out of your rectum and leave the stereotypes in there please - totally uncalled for. Anything that gives more people a job is a good thing.
Old 23-03-2010, 11:42 PM   #27
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Erm pull your head out of your rectum and leave the stereotypes in there please - totally uncalled for. Anything that gives more people a job is a good thing.
Spot on....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 11:47 PM   #28
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with Boss. The option of paying redundacies to Holden workers is a last resort, far better to reduce wages over time, and hope they leave. Due to the entitlements in the EBA, Holden cannot afford to pay out the redundancies, and quite alot of the workers dont want to leave (even tho on smaller wages), as they want the redundacies.

JPD has the figures just about right (altho add another 2 weeks for public holdays). If Holdens had extra orders they couldnt meet, they would first add weekday overtime, and then saturdays. These alone would add approx 50% production capacity.

If Holden was losing money selling SV6's at $42000 plus on road costs, how much do you think they are losing selling them at $36000 inclusive of on road costs. Not to mention with employees working 1 week off, one week on, Holdens wage bill per car is now 50% more than it was 2 years ago.

Your probably far more likely to see a Holden director being charged with running a company whilst insolvent, than you are to see a chevy police car or cruze come out of the Elizabeth Plant.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 12:04 AM   #29
Wally
XP Coupe

Retooling for the short wheel based VF?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 12:10 AM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Retooling for the short wheel based VF?
Is that anything like fitting a new Bogan?

Seriously, There's a lot of hype around the new VF and its weight reduction,
I'll be interested to see just how they accomplished the roughly 100 Kg drop
and whether Ford has its own plans to match them....