Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Arrow Various GoAuto articles about Ford

Don't know what they're playing at, but today must be 'Ford day' at GoAuto HQ (or they're trying to get a bit of cred back after that cruddy little article about RWD last week) but here are is a whole swag of news about the blue oval, starting with:

Something about 'ACART' a new test facility at You Yangs:
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25759D00818F13

Burela on market forecasts for 2010:
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25759D0082C769

Navel-gazing about the Australian auto industry's reliance on large cars:
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25759E0000A09B

Talking up the "new and improved" Ford dealers:
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25759E0003292F

The discounting question on new Falcons:
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25759E000514E4

Future Territory powertrain speculation:
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25759E00068BCA

Aaand lucky last something about not having enough Fiestas:
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25759E00093B76

That should keep you lot occupied for a while :

Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Marin is doing a great job. It really shows when you have a president who is passionate about his product and wants it to succeed. He seems to be cut from the same cloth as Geoff Polites.

Hopefully the government and private fleets get on board now the Falcon is back on the green car lists.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Looks like FoA's future is looking good... Very good!!! /slips in a massive "FINALLY!!!!"
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All sounds really good (except) for the dealers article the may need motervation but selling cars is the least of there worries .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

After reading the last article you get the feeling Ford Au's image has changed 100%, and with the opportunity to target certain sectors (XT with ZF) they'll turn things around. Good stuff.
Old 20-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

How can they be possibly 'surprised' by the demand for the top tier Falcon and Fiesta?? They had the same problem with Mondeo, Focus, etc etc. Do they hire goldfish for product planners? I can understand Fiesta may be a supply issue, but don't say it's a surprise. I also thought Falcons were built to order using JIT manufacturing so again, seems weird it's a surprise at all.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Just goes to show this bloke should of been running the show when the FG was released. Osbourne was just out here for a holiday compared to this bloke. GO FALCON GO.
Old 20-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

There's some great news in there.

No spin, just some sound results from hard work.

It'd be great to see government and fleet sales return to the Falcon.

Same economy as a Camry. Awesome!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #9
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

“We have been locked out of certain business markets in Australia because we didn’t have a vehicle that was meeting a sub-240 gram per kilometre CO2 levels. But I’ll now be knocking on the doors of those government authorities those who did not fully consider us.

“Now we’ll come out very boldly and say that now we’ve done what you have asked us to do, we have the best quality car in Australia, tremendous fuel economy, tremendous CO2 ... so what now?

Thats my favorite bit .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 09:13 PM   #10
2fishingdogs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like we have a man at the helm that knows where to go and how to get there. Hope he walks the walk as he talks the talk. Action's speak loader than words.

2004 BA MKI Tradesman Ute 1 tonner in Vibe
Tinted windows, Alloy scuff plates.
The rest is still stock as a rock
www.bseries.com.au/2fishingdogs

2fishingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
“We have been locked out of certain business markets in Australia because we didn’t have a vehicle that was meeting a sub-240 gram per kilometre CO2 levels. But I’ll now be knocking on the doors of those government authorities those who did not fully consider us.

“Now we’ll come out very boldly and say that now we’ve done what you have asked us to do, we have the best quality car in Australia, tremendous fuel economy, tremendous CO2 ... so what now?

Thats my favorite bit .
I would agree. Its about getting the right product mix for the market. In the long term, if you want to sell cars you have to have the product the market wants. If you are selling a fiesta you need funky styling, safety and connectivity. XR you need image and performance etc. For fleets you need safety (5star), efficiency (9.9L/100) and green credentials (CO2 emissions). Whether the car has the best steering feel doesn't meen squat.

The FG is a great car and the private buyer has started to recognise this (and will continue too once the economy improves). But now fleets and user choosers that were prevented from going the falcon route can aswell. Its a win win. Stuff like a ZF XT seems silly to many (why bother, the 5speeds fine) but to some fleet managers they can get a falcon instead of a camry.

I think we are all very harsh on Ford and its leaders especially. I know Gorman is not well loved for obvious reasons, but at least he delivered a range of european developed small-medium cars that are great. He will be known as the guy that tried to kill off the I6, and stuffed up diesel territory, but at least he brought in quality imported product. Osborne didn't get much chance to show off but alot of what he started we are seeing right now (I6 is alive because osbourne made it possible, if not probable). This Burela is a step ahead again, a product guy who knows the imported small cars but is passionate about aussie fords and the falcon in particular. And he's an aussie, so that helps with morale too. Good to see him getting with the dealers to really push home the message that we are better than ever, and Ford has the product to sell its socks off.

Imagine the view at holden right now....suddenly Ford's problems are small fry.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 10:48 PM   #12
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Osborne didn't get much chance to show off but alot of what he started we are seeing right now (I6 is alive because osbourne made it possible, if not probable).
Osborne worked on the Duratec engine program and was very pro-V6 Falcon, so I don't think he had much to do with the I6 staying. Rightly or wrongly, he wasn't here long enough to make an impact.

As I recall, Burela himself stopped the I6 closure even before he had arrived in Australia to take up the post; he did it over the phone!
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #13
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

It's nice to read this positive outlook on FOA. It reinforces that the changes I see in the company on this side of the pond are extending through out Ford and the company as a whole is improving. That is what needs to happen, not just some parts of the company.

I know Ford is doing well in Europe on the shoulders of the Fiesta as well. They sell like hotcakes there.

It's nice to hear just as much enthusiasm for the Fiesta in Australia too.

When the Fiesta launches in the US it will redefine the segment for these car. People are used to these entry level cars being econoboxes that are stripped down and have the least quality interiors and materials. They are considered basic transportation and not much of a car. When the Fiesta goes on sale here it will turn people's views on their ear.

I am not surprised that the high end Falcons are selling. Last year when cars sales went into the tank here high end cars were the only thing that were still selling well. That's because people with serious money are not as affected by the economical downturn as "regular" people are. For them its not a matter of whether they can afford a new car, its a matter of whether the one they want is available and on the lot.

Yeah, some rich people have taken huge hits, but if they lose a couple million they still have 56 million more.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 11:21 PM   #14
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB

When the Fiesta launches in the US it will redefine the segment for these car. People are used to these entry level cars being econoboxes that are stripped down and have the least quality interiors and materials. They are considered basic transportation and not much of a car. When the Fiesta goes on sale here it will turn people's views on their ear.

Steve
I think the fiesta is doing that here as well. Ford sold 830 of them or something last month (biggest fiesta sales i can remember) in a car market that is shrinking. Holden sold only 850 cut price korean barinas (outdated daewoos) despite heavy fleet sales. Oh and its $4000 (effectively 25%) cheaper too. Even the mazda 2 (a very good car) is being outclassed by fiesta in many areas.

Quality product gets a quality price, even if the economy is down. Private buyers want value if they are going to upgrade to a new car. Economic climate just encourages those that are serous about a new car to reserach more and shop around, this will benefit ford. Also the good product will build a good brand perception by the public, and on it goes. Holden is in big trouble not just because of crap product but because it is killing their reputation. They are harming themselves with every car they sell.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #15
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

A couple of Saturdays ago I saw more Fiestas on the road than FGs. They look alot better in the flesh/metal/plastic, very eye catching. I think it's one of the best looking small cars currently available, quite daring but very well proportioned, and makes the Mazda 2 look a little plain.