Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Default Most coins youve found in a car.

Thought it might be slightly interesting to make a thread about the most coins youve ever found in a car upon cleaning it out. This thread isnt about the total "value" of the currency youve found, but rather the physical quantity.

Today I found 54 coins in my Galaxie totalling a value of US$3.14. Theres a couple more in the console that I havent included so ill get a final tally soon.

SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

Default Re: Most coins youve found in a car.

I found about 18 totalling $14 In a vl at the wreckers paid for half the wiring loom I bought
Pub247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Pull out the back seat of the taxi and you usually find several bucks, as well as other less wanted stuff...

Pull out the carpet and you can find nearly $50 near the seatbelt stalks and under the console.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 06:02 AM   #4
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

VL commodore I found nearly 100 coins, and some syringes.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
homegrown
hotshot

Found $2 in a car at U Pull It - free entry
Old 13-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

When I was installing my stereo in my car, pulled the seats out and I found about 115 or so coins totally about 17 dollars something. Paid for maccas I think for the first drive annoying people with the new sub and stuff.
Old 13-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back in 1984 I bought a 1980 Commodore SL Four cylinder (stop laughing you ******...).

When I was fitting a stereo, under the carpets I found a handful of coins, two one dollar notes (remember them?), and a couple of flattened paper bags with "Hot Pies!" printed on them.
Interestingly some time later I had a problem with one air vent, which stopped blowing air and made a "fluttery" noise like it had leaves stuck in it. A long bent wire pulled out two more pie bags...

Obviously my car wasn't a "friday afternoon" or "monday morning" special...it was a "smoko time special"...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

I have a taxi but no money ever found in it.

I am not sure on how many coins it was that I found in a car at once but it was an hyundai getz while working for a rental car company and being a getz no one wanted to drive it back after the customer returned the car. There loss was my gain as it had mainly silver coins with if I remember 3 gold coins, but the total was pushing $47-48. It took about 10 mins to get all the coins out as they were mainly in the drivers side door pocket.

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A decade ago I bought a ZL Fairlane, found about $20 in coins, some jewellry and a $50 note when stripping it and cleaning it.
The Drivers side mirror cover was also not fitted right, after about a month I decided to fix it, pulled it off and it turns out there was a bag of grass in there stopping it from sitting right. Bonus, an easy fix and 2 cartons of beer from a housemate for the find!
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting - about five or six coins total $2.37.

On the other hand at the end of a 15 hour shift driving taxis in Canberra back in the late 70's, found a wallet, no id, with $1,100 in it. Two days later Taxi management rang and asked if I found a wallet. I told them yes and if owner wants to meet me I will return it.

Met with owner, correctly described it, I also remembered him. He thanked me and offered me $5 for my honesty. I politely suggested he might like to give the $5 to St. Vinnies.

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #11
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I used to be a detailer when i was younger and we found heaps of coin in the trade-ins.
We had a tin under the bench and would buy Friday arvo drinks with it.
It was cool as we had run of the whole prep shed to detail our cars with free Woodstock tins for warmth(yeah i know, but this was 2001 and Woodstock was the in thing..)

I couldnt tell you what the most was in a sigle car, but in a year we proberbly found a $K.

My father-in-law found a first aid kit with $40 cash in it in an envelope in the middle row, sub compartment of his Jackaroo
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
FPV-HSV
previously SMIKXR6

Dad Found $250 in a ea ex cab!!
Old 13-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo
Interesting - about five or six coins total $2.37.

On the other hand at the end of a 15 hour shift driving taxis in Canberra back in the late 70's, found a wallet, no id, with $1,100 in it. Two days later Taxi management rang and asked if I found a wallet. I told them yes and if owner wants to meet me I will return it.

Met with owner, correctly described it, I also remembered him. He thanked me and offered me $5 for my honesty. I politely suggested he might like to give the $5 to St. Vinnies.
You're an honest person; in the current economic climate many would have denied the existence of such a wallet and pocketed the 1100.
I am going to pull my rear seat out tonight after work and see what I can find. I've been lucky lately, found a $50 bill in my leather jacket I had not worn in years, a $20 in my desk drawer and numerous coins in a bag on the way to work in the shopping centre carpark.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 13-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

No coins in any car...only a squashed maccas chip box inside my front bumper under the pass side headlight in the wagon.

Oh and about 3 spiders under my rear bench.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #15
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

found a few frangas and working girl numbers in my old VN, shame there was no money in the car, the women must have taken it all.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #16
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

In my '98 built EL, exactly $3.85 in mint (ha!) condition 1998 stamped coins - $2, $1, 50, 20 10, 5. Found under the rear seat. Fallen/lost? or placed by a Ford worker during the build, dunno. I figured placed by a Ford worker, so I left them there. Nice memento.

Nothing in any of my other cars.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #17
wozman

i found 10 $2 coins in the back of a taxi when i use to clean them
wozman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #18
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

interestingly, last night I was at the servo buying smokes when I realized that the tax had gone up on them again. Cursing my luck and knowing I'd put all my coins in my change tin, I needed 60c and quickly pulled the back seat up in the Sonata. BAM $2! I pulled into the self serve vacuum bay and pulled the seat out and found nothing else :(
Game. Reinvented.

Old 17-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #19
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

I sent a guy I worked with to rent-a-wreck in the 80s for a car to drive to Melbourne for a custody hearing for his kids.
He got the custody he wanted, found $20 under the back seat along with a bag of speed he sold for $300!
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #20
Kesh

Removed the rear seat off my dads AU, found about $10 some food, and about 2 Nintendo DS styluses I thought I lost. As well as some M&M's from a while back
Kesh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #21
Jeddak
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in the late 70's a mate of mine bought a 67 Valiant regal and found a Tudor Oyster watch under the back seat ( a lower price Rolex )

all I ever found was a cheap shifter (junk) and 10 bucks in a one hundred dollar back row special that we bought (oh well made it a 90 dollar car i suppose)

ex station cocky vehicles are a gold mine though got half a coffee cup out of one a couple of years ago ($15.00 or so)
O5 / 05 SX TS RWD Winter White, Driving Lights, Flaps, Racks, Turbo Grille, Ghia Bumper Trims and tailgate chrome , Colour Coded Mirrors,Tint,h/d towbar and chrome tow ball ,Sy chrome Beltline molds , leather and chrome shifter and Ghia Leather bound steering wheel
Stainless steel number plate frames and shifter quadrant, leather arm rest
All reconditioned SZ front suspension now in place
Chrome door pull inserts with chrome inner latch handles done
Jeddak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #22
marlin351

last car i brought was from a car yard . Car was dirty and not detailed. When home spent two days cleaning it and found some gold jewellry under front seat. Had it valued ---$1000---.
94 bmw 540
marlin351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #23
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No coins but have found a MASSIVE roll of $100 notes behind the rear seat in a small Merc which belonged to a bookie.
His response was, "Oh, I did wonder what happened to that."
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #24
saam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I cannot remember which car it was but some small japanese car

This was the late 80's , i still didnt have a full license and was riding around with my cousin looking at cars in yards

The car was dark in colour and we were checking it out. For some reason i decided to pull out the ash tray, and what do you know it was full of mostly $2 dollar coins, with some $1 dollar coin

As a teenager it was the first time i seen so many new $2 as they only came out in the late 80's

My cousin was taking all the coins out of the car so i decided to help him, wondering why the cars in this yard werent checked over beforehand

We were ****ing ourselves laughing on how quick we were in emptying out the ash tray as the salesperson was walking over to us

In an ideal world we should have handed in the coins to the salesperson, but we didnt and walked away

My cousin filled his petrol tank with the cash and he bought me the biggest kit kat id ever seen. I was happy with that.

I think there would have been close to $50 in gold coins
saam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 02:53 AM   #25
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to love cleaning out Dad's old Valiant. The bench seat is the best for lost for coin - we're talking 20 cent and <, but I was a couple of dollars richer at the end of the day (and the car a couple of pounds lighter of coin, sand and cigarette ash.
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 01:27 AM   #26
Supel_11
Starter Motor

Datsun 200 b picked up $4 worth of 1s and 2 cent coins
Supel_11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #27
IDT
Marko

Under the spare in an old army station wagon I once found something wrapped in half a roll of foil about half the size of a football. It turn out to be a couple of hand fulls of one and two cent pieces maybe $5 worth and a rolled up snake skin. It was obviously deliberately hidden but god knows why.....
Old 03-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #28
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy
I sent a guy I worked with to rent-a-wreck in the 80s for a car to drive to Melbourne for a custody hearing for his kids.
He got the custody he wanted, found $20 under the back seat along with a bag of speed he sold for $300!
Yep I've found some pot under the front seat in an old HB torrie, an plastic lunch bag with 4 50's in it, gave it to a mate but he reckons it was a bit mouldy... didnt stop him though
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post